• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REMEMBER the dArk knight rises UnmaRked spOileR threAd | You only legend once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

Who else totally called the Talia twist way before it happened? Around the time they slept together, I was like, "Oh shit, she's Talia!" Then when they started saying Bane was Ra's's son later on, I started to doubt that and try to piece together how that could be possible... but somehow it didn't occur to me that the kid could've been a girl.

Didn't call Robin though. That was a cute reveal.

As for the movie in general? Eh... the ending was great, but the first two thirds just felt really slow and boring.

I called it a year ago once the photos of her dressed in a robe were leaked.

Talon

THings like Selina's cartwheel at the prison was abruptly cut, and didn't they film things like Selina driving the batpod through the mob fight and up some stairs? That didn't make it in.
The cartwheel was in the film.

Trailer scenes are removed from the final cut all of the time. The taunting scene used in the TDK trailer was different than the one in the film, for example. Episode I's trailer showed a bunch of scenes that weren't in the film.
Nolan chickens out of criticizing the "power to the people" stuff, so the movie drops it so it's good guys vs. bad guys.

The second act of the movie is really strange, almost like it's just biding its time 'til the finale.
Lol. It's not even closer to a power to the people stunt.

Do you not recall that 4 minute scene with Gordon explaining how Bane's obviously manipulating everyone because he has no intention of not exploding the bomb?

Jarmel

Banned
The kids in their homes. The people bunking out in high rises. The parties.

This seems like a weird critique to me. They establish the environs pretty consistently in the film.

I agree, they did a fantastic job for the most part setting up the environments. At the party you see a guy eating lobster, the kids running around at the orphanage, the stock exchange, Wayne Manor, and the sewers were all depicted extremely well.

artist

Banned
His purpose was to be a complete prick who you couldn't wait to see die
He isnt a complete prick if he turns good, which he did. Character was not needed and didnt even need his arc. From useless to coward to good hero.

And then you didn't get to. That was a weird cut to just show him, tank shooting, him dead on the ground.
If he was shown to get hit by the bullets, people would have complained that there was TOO MUCH EXPOSITION.

Penguin

Who else totally called the Talia twist way before it happened? Around the time they slept together, I was like, "Oh shit, she's Talia!" Then when they started saying Bane was Ra's's son later on, I started to doubt that and try to piece together how that could be possible... but somehow it didn't occur to me that the kid could've been a girl.

As for the movie in general? Eh... the ending was great, but the first two thirds just felt really slow and boring.

Ironically...
I called Robin as soon as he approached Bruce.. he is basically a mash-up of Tim Drake's origins... Piecing together the identity of Batman/Bruce Wayne... an orphan who lost his dad due to mob connections (In TNBA anyhow) and.. this is a stretch but Blake rhymes with Drake.

Jimothy

Just got back. Enjoyed it for the most part.

The highlights for me were:

-the sewer fight
-the chase scene down the freeway (I fucking loved the lights going out in the tunnel)
-The Bat flying through the mist of Gotham. Very Blade Runner-esque
-the entire last 15 minutes is just balls to the wall insanity. So intense.

The lowlights were:

- The only person who finally figures out who Batman is does so on a hunch. No real investigation, he just kind of always knew. Fucking lame.

- Matthew Modine's character was utterly wasted and his death scene was pretty lame

- Nolan still can't direct action to save his life. Most of the action scenes were just WAM BOOM without any real direction to them. Nolan should have listened to James Cameron's T2 commentary track where he explains why so many modern action directors suck - they have no sense of geography in their fights. Everything is just chaotic and Nolan expects the audience to find the scenes fulfilling because they're really loud and have cool looking SWAT guys in them.

- Bruce's entire journey after his back is broken. There should have been some meditation scenes where Bruce learns to accept the darkness, just like Bane does and come out on the other side stronger and better for it. There could have been some cool callbacks to Begins and ninja training scenes. Instead he just works out a bunch and suddenly has the ability to defeat Bane in a one-on-one.

- Nolan and Jonah bit off way more they could true and thus have produced a film that shares many of the faults of Spider-Man 3. This story should have been very Bruce centric, instead they introduce a half dozen new characters, and don't really develop them in any meaningful way. That's probably my biggest disappointment. I would have preferred a more stripped down film that mirrored BB, but I realize Nolan had to bring TEH EPIC to satisfy the general audience.

Slizz

My biggest gripe from the get-go of seeing commercials was the fact that Hines Ward returns a kickoff for a touchdown.

They really couldn't have picked a slower Wide Receiver to do that.

Croc Reference? I MISSED THAT

And yeah, not even this movie is safe from Gaf bitterness lol

I don't remember the exact wording, but Blake was in the hospital room talking to Gordon and he told him how he tried telling his superiors about Bane and they jokingly said to him back something about a "giant alligator" down there also.

Tookay

Lol. It's not even closer to a power to the people stunt.

Do you not recall that 4 minute scene with Gordon explaining how Bane's obviously manipulating everyone because he has no intention of not exploding the bomb?

I'm not sure what you're point is.

And I'm not a big of dismissing people's arguments with "lols" either. I wanted to like this film, I really did.

I had seen the on set photos, but I still thought she must not be Talia because of the complete silence critics had about it I guess. My biggest let down was that it very quickly answered my two biggest questions. Was she Talia and does Batman die at the end.

Knew she was Talia when in her second scene she said something to Bruce about "restoring balance". Knew the movie would end with Alfred seeing Bruce at the diner the second he told Bruce that was his dream and they showed how it played out. I was surprised they clearly showed Bruce and Selina for so long, though. I expected it to just cut on Alfred.

Talon

I'm not sure what you're point is.

And I'm not a big of dismissing people's arguments with "lols" either. I wanted to like this film, I really did.
Nolan chickens out of criticizing the "power to the people" stuff (not that any citizen would believe it when he fucking wrecks a city and holds a nuke over everyone's head), so the movie drops it to make it a clear-cut good guys vs. bad guys struggle.
The film clearly puts the power to the people stunt as a complete and total sham by Bane.

We even have Kyle acting all aloof and disillusioned when anarchy takes, as she realizes this is no way to live.

I'm not lolling at your opinion of the movie - there's plenty to critique about this film. Again, I probably still like BB the best, but each of these movies excel in different spheres. I'm laughing at this completely baseless statement.

Tookay

The film clearly puts the power to the people stunt as a complete and total sham by Bane.

We even have Kyle acting all aloof and disillusioned when anarchy takes, as she realizes this is no way to live.

I understand that, but I'm saying, why would ANYONE believe or join in the "power to the people" stunt, when it seems pretty clear it is a sham?

Talon

The Ra's/Mercenary reveal was my favorite bit. I know we'll never see it, but I'd love more backstory on Ra's.
I understand that, but I'm saying, why would ANYONE believe or join in the "power to the people" stunt, when it seems pretty clear it is a sham?
Free shit for everyone. And they mostly show mercenaries and criminals fucking about.

NekoFever

I just got back. I liked it but I thought it was by far the weakest of the three.

I haven't read the rest of this thread because I was avoiding spoilers so I don't know if anyone's said the same thing, but this one seemed to lose some of the grounding in reality of the first two and went full-on comic book. Fusion reactor! Nuclear bomb! Family revelations! Secret identities! Faked death! Miraculous healing - twice! It all got a bit much.

I won a bet that JGL would be Robin, though, so that's nice.

Tookay

Also, there was a leaked script scene where Ra's wife talks to young Talia before they escape or are even captured that was completely cut out of the movie.

There's a shit ton of TDKR that's absolutely missing.

artist

Banned
Also, there was a leaked script scene where Ra's wife talks to young Talia before they escape or are even captured that was completely cut out of the movie.

There's a shit ton of TDKR that's absolutely missing.
Expectations. Like the other poster said, let you down. And I'm not questioning your intentions as I'm well aware (and appreciate) that you are a part of Bat-GAF.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Thinking about it what ever happened to the Narrows from Batman Begins. Gotham is the only city that changes so much in a few years.

suaveric

Overall I thought it was great! But weren't there leaked shots or scenes from the trailer that showed Catwoman riding the Batpod down some steps and a Tumbler firing into a building (same steps)? A lot happens but I don't remember seeing that in the film. Is there a deleted battle scene?

There's a ton cut from the film. In an interview Nolan said that he always shoots way more than he needs and constantly cuts things out until his movies are very tight. So Catwoman was cut out of the fight on the steps in front of the courthouse like you mentioned.

Also completely missing from the movie was the point of Catwoman's goggles. Anne said during an interview last year something like "wait until you see what her goggles can do". We see none of that in the final movie.

border

This is pretty clearly the Nolan trilogy's Return of the Jedi. A final film with some nice highs, but some very big lows and about a lot of excruciating downtime that never really goes anywhere. It wouldn't be bad on its own, but compared to its predecessor it seems like quite a letdown.

Expectations. Like the other poster said, let you down. And I'm not questioning your intentions as I'm well aware (and appreciate) that you are a part of Bat-GAF.

I kept my expectations very realisitic. I expected a movie worse than the first two, but still thought I'd love this one. I feel like the script was just a lazy mess. Maybe trilogies really are impossible. I'm still sold for whatever Nolan does next. But, I'm glad this is done.

This is pretty clearly the Nolan's Return of the Jedi. A final film with some nice highs, but some very big lows and about a lot of excruciating downtime that never really goes anywhere. It wouldn't be bad on its own, but compared to its predecessor it seems like quite a letdown.

I feel like it's a let down compared to any other Nolan film (again, haven't seen Insomnia). That's what shocks me the most personally. I would rate every other of his movie an A+, this is like a C-. Think I'm going to watch The Prestige tonight. Though, honestly I am wanting to see this again. Just to really take it all in. But, I don't think I'm going to enjoy it any more.

Tookay

I wish I hadn't said anything about that. I feel like everybody's been downplaying my posts ever since.

I'm just saying that there are scenes that have been filmed (Foley getting run over, Catwoman driving down the stairs during the brawl, the Tumbler going up the stairs and firing, Talia backstory) that are known and are missing from the film. I'm not commenting on my expectations or even my disappointments, just that there are clearly things cut out of the film.

Jimothy

Also, another pro: The TDK Batsuit looked fucking awesome for the first time. All of Bats' scenes were perfectly lit and framed. Kudos to Pfister.

Red

Yes. That's my problem as well. We get a couple 'party' scenes, but those aren't real people - - they are caricatures. What happened to the strength of people that was valued so highly in TDK? Everyone now seems happy living blindly under a totalitarian regime.

Why do people believe Bane when he reads Gordons letter?

Does anyone else feel better about the movie now than you did when you walked out? The themes really stick with you. I woke up thinking about the film.

Tookay

Does anyone else feel better about the movie now than you did when you walked out? The themes really stick with you. I woke up thinking about the film.

The parts I liked (Bruce, his fights, some parts of the last act) I like more than before. The parts I didn't... have grown worse or stayed the same.

It's a very uneven film.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Yes. That's my problem as well. We get a couple 'party' scenes, but those aren't real people - - they are caricatures. What happened to the strength of people that was valued so highly in TDK? Everyone now seems happy living blindly under a totalitarian regime.

TDK moments in this are odd they had to mention the Joker for what he done. Joker tried to destroy the city by creating anarchy through the people but the people kept strong. Suddenly they all forgotten about him and standing together.

Tookay

More than police officers should have been coming out in the final fight. Should have been a true uprising to really cement the themes and the work Batman's done.

I think the planned scope of this movie exceeds its grasp.

Also, another pro: The TDK Batsuit looked fucking awesome for the first time. All of Bats' scenes were perfectly lit and framed. Kudos to Pfister.

Yeah, maybe because I just watched Batman Begins where he can't even turn his head, but he looks the least silly in this one. In fact, when he's walking around the Batcave with the helmet off, the armor just looks fuckin' badass.

Bruce is the best part about this movie and a great protagonist that you want to follow, and while I think TDK was a much better film, I couldn't say the same thing about that.

Tookay

Yeah, maybe because I just watched Batman Begins where he can't even turn his head, but he looks the least silly in this one. In fact, when he's walking around the Batcave with the helmet off, the armor just looks fuckin' badass.

Bruce is the best part about this movie and a great protagonist that you want to follow, and while I think TDK was a much better film, I couldn't say the same thing about that.

Agreed. Bale is the most likeable he's ever been. Wish the movie focused on him even more.

Bale was excellent, which surprised me. Maybe it was just me, but even his American accent had improved quite a bit from the first two. But he put a lot more commitment to the role than I would have expected from a new Oscar winner who didn't seem like he had his heart in it for TDK.

Robin was pretty obvious, I avoided trailers, and even though I should have, I never really pieced the Talia thing together in my mind, but when it actually happened, I was like "Oh, yeah, that makes more sense." lol

Batman pretty much killed Talia.

Just saying.

He pretty much killed the League of shadows guys, Ra's Al-Ghul, and Harvey Dent. He's not perfect, he just makes it a point to minimize loss of life.

What I loved about Bane was that he had an almost compassionate cadence, while he did terrible things.

Red

Despite my complaints I feel really satisfied with the ending. I can nitpick here and there but it was still a strong way to go out, even if a few of the themes don't seem perfectly wrapped up.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure why Alfred explaining Bane's profile to Bruce was ridiculous? Isnt Alfred using Bruce's systems in TDK? I mean he was already shown to be familiar with Bruce's tap into Gotham PD's servers and the rest of the Gotham databases, pulling up data and repeating it to Bruce doesnt make Alfred a Lucius. He was just being Bruce's Siri.
Thank you! I don't get the Alfred criticism either. Alfred is going to be in the know about all of Batman's stuff. And some people laughing when he's explaining the Ra's training, really? You don't think that in the 10 years that have passed, Bruce NEVER talked to Alfred about his training with Ra's and what he went through? C'mon people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom