• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REMEMBER the dArk knight rises UnmaRked spOileR threAd | You only legend once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Do you think your feelings will change over the next few months? Will the impact of those emotional character moments lose their effect when weighed against the flaws? We're still basking in the glow of the experience. I think that tends to color my perception. That, and the thought that this is it, it's the last hoorah.

Its hard to say. Like I said in my review, I think nitpickers will find EVEN MORE to pick on this movie than in TDK. However, this one also is working on another plane of emotional resonance to TDK altogether. I get the sense that my feelings on this one won't change a lot.

BTW for all you detective folks. I don't want to see Batman playing Nancy Drew in movies. I want him kicking ass. Save that shit for a Batman TV show with a low budget :p

That's cool. Completely ignores pretty much everything the character was built on, but cool.

Criminal Intent or SVU? I find that I can decide whether I like people based on this question. :p

DMczaf

That was my initial diagnosis. From a pure plotting/editing perspective, its kind of a mess. But then it hits these moments of sublime character moments and scenes and Im just floored.

I felt the movie could have honestly been longer lol. I could feel the editing in this.

I need more Catwoman and Batman strutting around side by side, I was fanboying.

Alfred, why you gotta make me sad? :(

Actually TAS was what always made me believe that Bruce could find happiness and put aside this life.

It was kind of the point of Mask of the Phantasm, that he had a chance for happiness but it was taken away from him again

Then there was the TNBA episode where he literally hangs up Batman so that he can marry the love of his life.. who ends up being a poison ivy construct.
Don't forget one of the best episodes of B:TAS; Perchance a Dream. Pretty much confirms everything he wants in life; his parents back and a normal life while Gotham is still being protected by Batman, even if it's not him.

I guess by Beyond though, Batman is really all old man Bruce has. But a lot of BB is just suffering and I love it to bits for it.

Cloudy

Banned
After burying him and fully accepting that he has died? I doubt the restaurant scene was the first reunion since their parting at Wayne manor, I think Bruce must have told Alfred that he was leaving Gotham, at the least.

Exactly. Also, I didn't see anything that told me he'd left Gotham for good. If so, why the "Robin" shoutout and why continue to hide Batman's true identity. At the very least, he'd have to train Blake a bit

Eidan

BTW for all you detective folks, I don't want to see Batman playing Nancy Drew in movies. I want him kicking ass. Save that shit for a Batman TV show with a low budget :p

It still would have been great if movie Ra's called Bruce, "Detective".

I felt the movie could have honestly been longer lol. I could feel the editing in this.

I marked out for like 10 different things in the movie when they happened. Definitely could of used more of everything. But such is life :(

Solo

Nolan even got me to like the "THE HUB'S GONNA BLOW"/"THIS IS NOT GOOD. THIS IS NOT GOOD!" guys in TDKR.

"SON, YOU'RE IN FOR A TREAT!" guy was amazing.

After burying him and fully accepting that he has died? I doubt the restaurant scene was the first reunion since their parting at Wayne manor - Bruce must have told Alfred after that point sometime that he was leaving Gotham, at the very least.

Jesus that scene. Where he's crying @ the gravestones. Michael Caine could make me cry like a baby if he wanted to.

Was it ever said why Bane is so strong, and is able to take so much punishment? Is it because the mask drugs him up so much he just doesn't feel any pain at all?

Yes, it absolutely could have. Bruce's time in prison feels too short. He just magically returns to Gotham. Pretty sure a scene or two with Selina during the end was cut.

Cloudy

Banned
That's cool. Completely ignores pretty much everything the character was built on, but cool.

Criminal Intent or SVU? I find that I can decide whether I like people based on this question. :p

Neither. I don't really like episodic tv shows. I do watch L&O reruns on TNT if I'm waiting for an NBA game though :p

DMczaf

Nolan even got me to like the "THE HUB'S GONNA BLOW"/"THIS IS NOT GOOD. THIS IS NOT GOOD!" guys in TDKR.

"SON, YOU'RE IN FOR A TREAT!" guy was amazing.

Veteran Cop is the best Nolan cop extra. Can they CGI him into Begins and TDK?

I came away from TDKR feeling that it was rushed AND overlong at certain intervals. Like, a lot of scenes getting too much screentime and other more important elements(like Bruce Wayne's rebuilding himself) didn't get enough.

DMczaf

Bane's voice was TERRIBLE during the prologue sequence. Thanks fucking bloggers for bitching and moaning.

I still had moments where I couldn't understand him later, but at least it didn't sound as bad as in the prologue.

Said it earlier, but for DM and the other new arrivals:

1. Bale
2. Hathway
3. Caine

Agree/disagree?
agree except I would make an honorary note that Bane not being on the list doesn't mean he was anything to scoff at. Hardy did a GREAT job. But those 3 were on some next level shit.

1. Bale
2. Hathway
3. Caine

Agree/disagree?

Yes. I think TDK >> TDKR, but TDKR Bale >> BB Bruce >> TDK Bruce. Easily his best performance in the series.

As for sexiest, top 3:

1. Bale
2. Marion
3. JGL

DMczaf

1. Bale
2. Hathway
3. Caine

Agree/disagree?

100% agree. Caine went back in time and remembered he was not only a good actor, but a great actor. This was Bale's best performance in the series. And Anne Hathaway...I kinda want more Selina Kyle now. I don't know about a movie because it's too easy to fuck up, but at least a 15 min short film or something lol.

I think honorable mention goes to JGL. I was really digging his character.

Arment

What did Anne Hathaway do that props her up that high? I felt like her character was pretty flat. Did I miss a masterfully acted scene or two?

Bale JGL and Hardy.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just got back... absolutely LOVED it.

Best end to a trilogy since Return of the Jedi, IMO. I was hyped as all hell, and knew the movie wouldn't deliver. I wanted an 11/10, figured I'd give it an 8/10, and am actually going to give it a 9.5/10.

That fucking ending, man. Dat ending! The last thirty minutes are incredible. The last two minutes are perfect. I couldn't dream of a better end.

I will say, though, that it felt a LOT different than I expected it to. That's not bad; but some things just felt more like a ... different movie... than I was anticipating. I don't know what it is, but it was just weird. Again, not bad, but... gah, I wish I could put my finger on it.

I just went with it, but dumb-ass question of the night: Why was Bruce all handicapped at the beginning? I don't get it? Just worn out from being Batman in the last two films? Or did something happen that I didn't catch on to?

1. Bale
2. Hathway
3. Caine

Agree/disagree?

I'd put Hathaway above Bale. Hathay's performance was only below Ledger in TDK and Caine in the first two movies for me.

For the series:
1. Ledger
2. Hathaway
3/4. Caine 1 and 2
5. Bale TDKR
6-8. Oldman
9-10. Bale 1 and 2

Cloudy

Banned
100% agree. Caine went back in time and remembered he was not only a good actor, but a great actor.

I think honorable mention goes to JGL. I was really digging his character.

JGL was the best actor for me. I have a huge man-crush on the guy so maybe I'm biased lol

Bale let his accent slip in some early points of the movie

Hathway was great but I didn't see any great acting. The catwoman costume looked so much better in motion than in stills.

Best end to a trilogy since Return of the Jedi, IMO. I was hyped as all hell, and knew the movie wouldn't deliver. I wanted an 11/10, figured I'd give it an 8/10, and am actually going to give it a 9.5/10.

That fucking ending, man. Dat ending! The last thirty minutes are incredible. The last two minutes are perfect. I couldn't dream of a better end.

I will say, though, that it felt a LOT different than I expected it to. That's not bad; but some things just felt more like a ... different movie... than I was anticipating. I don't know what it is, but it was just weird. Again, not bad, but... gah, I wish I could put my finger on it.

I just went with it, but dumb-ass question of the night: Why was Bruce all handicapped at the beginning? I don't get it? Just worn out from being Batman in the last two films? Or did something happen that I didn't catch on to?

Bruce got really emo after the events of TDK and became a recluse. Try sitting in chairs for 8 years not doing anything. Your muscles will stiffen up, your joints will become horrible. It was all increased due to him being Batman as well.

Solo

What did Anne Hathaway do that props her up that high? I felt like her character was pretty flat. Did I miss a masterfully acted scene or two?

She toed the line between nefarious villain, seductress, and thief-with-a-heart-of-gold wonderfully. She brought a ton of spark to the role, and I felt Catwoman was really nailed as the embodiment of an anti-hero.

Eidan

I really don't think Matthew Modine is getting enough love. He played his role like he was the villain in an 80's teen comedy, and I love him for it.

- J - D -

Well he was limping pretty bad at the end of TDK, after taking that fall.

About your likening TDKR to RotJ, that's pretty backhanded praise, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom