• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REMEMBER the dArk knight rises UnmaRked spOileR threAd | You only legend once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

The guy's name was Robin. It was a bit of a cop out. They couldn't just name him Drake or Grayson?

It was a subtle nod that the majority of the audience will get. But it worked so perfectly. Basically because they took the Robin identity and made it realistic. They took a part of something JGL's character wasn't ever going to be, Robin the sidekick, and put it into the core of the character instead.

Eidan

Casual watchers wouldn't get it. Robin is as a household name as Batman. And that doesn't necessarily mean he becomes "Robin". He becomes the next vigilante protector of Gotham, that's what's important.

I feel like this should be posted at the top of every page in the thread.

Sojgat

What about Batgirl. This movie has too much testosterone. Dat Bane fight scene.

Cassandra Cain Batgirl I would watch. Can we make this happen WB, even a tv show would be good, throw some Tim Drake in there, if they aren't going to use him in the films, why not do it. Fucking Smallville ran for 10 seasons surely they could make it work.

Casual watchers wouldn't get it. Robin is as a household name as Batman. And that doesn't necessarily mean he becomes "Robin". He becomes the next vigilante protector of Gotham, that's what's important.

At that point you're not doing it for the casual fan. You're doing it for the mythos and that is just an annoying way to do it. He didn't change Bruce's first name to "Bat."

DMczaf

Ive said it a few times now, but since you just joined.... prison sequence (training/Rhas/Bruce climbing out) was the best part of the movie. Could have done without the hokey/"TDKR for dummies" Rhas fading out, TV show special effect though.

I got the feeling they just really wanted to make sure no one in the audience thought Ra's was still alive and immortal. Sometimes you gotta bust out the Nolan Sledgehammer to beat it over people's heads!

Zoe

Did Talia walk into the stock exchange right before they opened fire, or was that just someone who looked like her?

Should have called Blake Terry McGinnis. Now THAT would have been awesome. Still understandable why they went the way they did, and obviously anything other than the "Robin" call out would have just confused 90% of the audience.

Besides everyting concerning Blake knowing Batman's identity before the much better bit in the ending (his reasoning, all of this being revealed in the first few minutes him and Bruce meet and the lack of any relevance it had to do with plot in the end) and the awkward flashbacks to previous films I really loved this film.

Better than TDK? No, Bane isn't quite the huge surprise Heath Ledger as the Joker was, but it's still a very satisfying end to Nolan's take on Batman and rewatching the first two before Rises Begins has quite a few weak elements I think people are forgetting when they're comparing it to this film.

Wish they could have gone into more detail about a few things though. How was Gordon's estranged family doing outside Gotham? What was the life story of Selina's roommate? What was the history behind the Italian cafe Alfred is sitting at in the end? What was the name and favorite color of every kid in that one school bus on the bridge? Guess Nolan simply didn't want an academy award enough, but I still had fun.

Cloudy

Banned
I thought Miranda might be Talia early in, when i heard her accent, but then decided they wouldn't do that....

I thought this as well.

Looking on google, folks were guessing this a year ago. Thank goodness I avoided all the spoilers

At that point you're not doing it for the casual fan. You're doing it for the mythos and that is just an annoying way to do it. He didn't change Bruce's first name to "Bat."

How is he not doing if for the casual fan?

People know who Robin is, they don't know who Dick Grayson is. Without saying "Robin" explicitly, people don't get why the reveal of the name is important.

They don't need to do that with Catwoman because she has the costume, so she never needs to be called like that.

Solo

Did Talia walk into the stock exchange right before they opened fire, or was that just someone who looked like her?

Hmmm.....come to think of it, they did focus on the back of that woman for an inordinate amount of time for just being an extra.

Hard to say.

One thing that kind of tipped me off to them making Blake the "bat-successor" was when he shot those two dudes and then dropped the gun in disgust, but then I think they had him running around with a shot gun later so maybe he doesn't inherit Bruce's dislike of guns.

Mumei

I decided to see it on a whim. This is the first time I've actually seen a movie on the opening day in forever and a day.

I don't know how I felt about it. I enjoyed the booms and bangs and whatnot, but I just felt a bit disconnected from the proceedings. I haven't quite figured out why yet, but I think it might have something to do with the sense of, I guess, disjointedness.

I'm also not sure I bought the character development in Bruce Wayne. It might be because I am importing my understanding of the character from the handful of comics I have read and B:TAS, but I have always thought of him as a singularly obsessed man, and quite past being able to simply let go completely the way he is portrayed as doing at the end of the film. It's nice seeing him happy, but I'm just not sure I bought it.

On balance, I think I enjoyed it, but I just don't think everything quite clicked for me.

The guy's name was Robin. It was a bit of a cop out. They couldn't just name him Drake or Grayson?
No, because most people wont catch the reference. He represented them through his backstory. Orphaned kid (Dick), father gets in with the wrong crowd and gets killed for it (Jason), amateur detective (Tim).

The last part is kind of reaching since Tim figured out Bruce's identity in more logical manner, but the sentiment is there. Plus, Dick was a cop for a while.

Solo

Marion being Talia was literally the first piece of speculation I heard when she was cast. And this was LONG before any kind of spoilers could have leaked. And the second JGL was cast, most people said (jokingly!) that he would be Robin.

Well what do ya know?!

:lol

Can anybody speak as to the audience reaction to the film?

On GAF it's a split between raves and disappointing. I'm just wondering what the reaction seemed like at your theater following its conclusion

Dead

well not really...yet
/batnerd "They shoulda revealed his name as Jean-paul valley!"

I can only imagine the confused faces on audiences. lol.

Ithil

One thing that kind of tipped me off to them making Blake the "bat-successor" was when he shot those two dudes and then dropped the gun in disgust, but then I think they had him running around with a shot gun later so maybe he doesn't inherit Bruce's dislike of guns.

It seemed to me there he was more pissed off that he'd accidentally killed the guy with the gun and couldn't question him.

DMczaf

Well later he was running to save Gordon from mercs, what's he going to do without a Bat suit and batarangs against mercs with rifles?

Also, where the fuck was Homeless Guy?! Damn it Nolan, you brought back everyone else!

Eidan

On GAF it's a split between raves and disappointing. I'm just wondering what the reaction seemed like at your theater following its conclusion

It got a standing ovation at my theater. But it was a midnight crowd.

Arment

Mine laughed at "Well now I know how that feels." and that's it.

Zoe

Hmmm.....come to think of it, they did focus on the back of that woman for an inordinate amount of time for just being an extra.

Hard to say.

Yeah... At that point I had thought I remembered being spoiled on her being a villain, so I was expecting something to come out of that. But then she was a good character for so long after that that I thought maybe someone else was playing Talia.

Well, since he doesn't have any of Batman's gadgets or armor, it would have been silly on his part to go against armed mercs without a gun. :p Pretty sure he never used a gun again anyway.

How is he not doing if for the casual fan?

People know who Robin is, they don't know who Dick Grayson is. Without saying "Robin" explicitly, people don't get why the reveal of the name is important.

They don't need to do that with Catwoman because she has the costume, so she never needs to be called like that.

Now you're just being arbitrary. There are plenty of ways they could have done it. "I wasn't a fan of the black. I was think red and yellow" or "My foster mom used to call me 'robin.'"

There were plenty of ways to do it.

I don't want it to seem like I disliked the movie. I'd place it in the same territory as I'd place the original Iron Man, and that's high praise, but BB and TDK were better and I thought we'd get more respect for the long term Batman fans.

JGL saying his name was Robin got the loudest gasp and a cheer from below my section. Most people were quiet throughout the film though as there were a lot of talking scenes and between Bale's Batman voice and Bane, it was hard to understand what was being said sometimes.

I kept myself mostly in the dark for this film (to the point where Talia being in at all was a complete surprise, so that twist was probably a lot better for me than it was for other people in this thread), so initially I misheard 'Blake' as 'Drake' and what with the detective and dead parents angle assumed it pretty early on.

Again, didn't know anything about what his character was before seeing Rises so Robin was a fun little shout out for me and not the groan-inducing moment it seemed to be for a lot of other people.

I thought this as well.

Looking on google, folks were guessing this a year ago. Thank goodness I avoided all the spoilers
I was, as well as many people on this forum, were some of the people who guessed she was Talia, so it wasn't a huge shock for me sadly.

I got that he's against needless killing. It'll be like Person of Interest. Leg shots all around. Even Batman shot a couple people in the feet in Begins and I think in TDK.

Marion being Talia was literally the first piece of speculation I heard when she was cast. And this was LONG before any kind of spoilers could have leaked. And the second JGL was cast, most people said (jokingly!) that he would be Robin.

Well what do ya know?!

Yeah, it was a pretty easy connection to make because of Cottilliard's look and accent. They could have cast anyone if the character was really just a business woman named Miranda Tate. Same thing with JGL as Robin actually when he was first cast. Though that one was more joking.

Well what do ya know?!

I've been on quite the media blackout and I heard about the Robin thing. Not Thalia, though, but I was calling that on her.... second scene?

Despite being commenting the whole time how she was obviously going to be Thalia (even pointing out the scar!) I still bought that Bane was the kid and forgot about her. The Robin thing was easy to make the connection since his first talk to Batman is basically a mix of the main Robin's origins. Didn't think they'd actually turn him into the next Batman, thought it'd just remain a nod.

Now you're just being arbitrary. There are plenty of ways they could have done it. "I wasn't a fan of the black. I was think red and yellow" or "My foster mom used to call me 'robin.'
Those are way worse, far more arbitrary, and don't make as much sense as he just being called Robin.

He's ashamed of the name (like a lot of movie Batman fans), he's called Robin because he has stuff from the main Robins. Seemed clever to me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was, as well as many people on this forum, were some of the people who guessed she was Talia, so it wasn't a huge shock for me sadly.
Yeah, and you jerks SPOILED IT for me months ago.

Luckily, I completely forgot about it until the reveal.

Cloudy

Banned

Well what do ya know?!

Apparently on IMDB they had the little girl credited as young Talia and just changed it today LOL

Arment

I remembered hearing Talia was in the movie and then 80% through the movie I was like, "Where's Talia?" I was suspicious then and wasn't surprised when she turned on him.

also WTF at the guy from Reno 911 randomly playing Bruce's doctor? It seems like Nolan does this a lot, casting a lot of "those guys" in roles in the Bat films. There was also Little Finger as the CIA dude, and "that guy" from Stargate as one of Bane's thugs.

Solo

My RHAS BEGINS screenplay will now have to incorporate Miranda and the raiding of the prison into it. Goddamn you, Nolan! I wanted carte blanche!

Applause or lack thereof is a pretty terrible way of judging audience reaction. You don't now how many people are clapping, you don't know if people are afraid to clap, you don't know if it's half a dozen loud people, you don't know if there are diehard fans there who will love it anyway.

DMczaf

Hey DM, what was your take on the film?

I'm not reading through all those pages that collected while I was @ work.

What is your rank order?

It's not even close to perfect, and I had issues with some things but I don't give a fuck. This movie had way more "Fuck yeah, Batman!" moments for me than TDK. I probably need a rewatch, but as of right now...(this could EASILY change, I'm still on a TDKR high so I'm not to be trusted)

BB > TDKR > TDK

Yes, TDKR actually made me love Begins more. I JUST TURNED HEEL ON TDK! I WAS THE 3RD MAN!

Well later he was running to save Gordon from mercs, what's he going to do without a Bat suit and batarangs against mercs with rifles?

Also, where the fuck was Homeless Guy?! Damn it Nolan, you brought back everyone else!

we got
i3wSskAkwc4Wa.gif

don't be greedy!

(I wanted to see Joffrey in hockey pads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom