• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember when Square Enix used Jedward to market Dragon Quest? Did it work?

Jedward. Square Enix came to the conclusion that the best way to sell this franchise that has always struggled in the west is to use these guys
Jedward-1024x676.jpg

large.jpg

I personally couldn't bare these adverts and wanted these two as far away from Dragon Quest as possible but with 5.3 million copies being sold worldwide (as of 2011 http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-quest-ix-sales-top-53-million/1100-6304548/) it looks like square must have done something right...was it Jedward?

Just for reference here is one of their advertisements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUJ-dRQxzG0

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they thought they had the right hairdo lol

It wasn't Square Enix, it was Nintendo, who published DQ9 (and all Nintendo-based DQs) in the West... and Nintendo UK used a lot of reality show celebrities etc in the DS era, so it really wasn't that unusual at the time.

NoKisum

I'm guessing this was a UK thing?

Here in the states, we had Seth Green. Funny ads, but they didn't work either.

EDIT: Beaten like a slime

pbayne

Lol that Jedward star power.

Id chalk it down to how sustained Nintendo's advertising for the ds was for it more than any particular celebrity endorsement. For a time in the UK you couldn't go 10 minutes on tv before seeing an ad for either Layton, DQ9 or Brain Training.

jackal27

Banned
I have NEVER heard of those U.K. ads. Oh man.

I remember thinking that the Seth Green ads were
pretty ok, because he's always had a reputation as a guy who would actually love a game like Dragon Quest. I mean look at his work on Robot Chicken.

I think that in the US Nintendo (for the most part) tries to work with people who actually enjoy their games.

well, they do look like Square-Enix characters I guess

this was a UK thing I'm gathering from the thread? because i don't think anyone outside of wherever these adverts were from knows who these people are

120v

lol i was unaware of the UK marketing push

stateside i thought it worked out okay. definitely a lot of newcomer fans with with VIII and IX, just a shame there was never another game to ride off that momentum. DQX was a massive blunder in that regard

kromeo

well, they do look like Square-Enix characters I guess

this was a UK thing I'm gathering from the thread? because i don't think anyone outside of wherever these adverts were from knows who these people are

They're Irish, think they originally appeared on Britain's Got Talent or X factor or one of those shows

GOT HER LIPSTICK ON HERE I COME DADADUM

I never saw those adverts but they're idols and reach an audience that wouldn't check out the game otherwise.

I never understood why they didn't play to the strength of people loving DBZ in the west. Let people know who was involved with the art and people for sure would have bought it.

Its funny that Seth Green helped sell me on the game when I didnt even know that this was the marketing that occured in my own country.

Or maybe I blocked it out of my memory

Top Bottom