• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember when Ubisoft said they were making another game on the Scimitar engine...?

adg1034

...well, I think I just figured out what it is: Splinter Cell. I was playing Double Agent the other night (the
supertanker
level), and I had to climb up a pipe. What irked me was that there was another pipe right next to where I was, and I couldn't climb it- the whole design was so arbitrary. Also, I could hang on to some ledges, but not others. Both of these problems would be fixed if the game used an engine that could "turn everything into a handhold", as Assassin's Creed can. Everyone (from what I can tell, including me up to this point) has been believing that the other game Ubisoft was making on the Scimitar engine (that's the one powering Assassin's Creed, if you didn't know) was a next-gen Prince of Persia. And who knows, it might still be. However, Assassin's Creed gameplay looks to be much closer to Splinter Cell than POP. This is all idle speculation for the moment, but Ubi should be getting close to giving out at least a little info on Splinter Cell 5, so we might not have to wait much longer.

Tieno

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Splinter Cell would benefit from some more free-roaming gameplay elements.

adg1034

Exactly. As it is now, the game isn't linear, but it forces you into one of a number of different paths. This shouldn't be about finding what the designers wanted you to do, it should be about making your own path in the level. Or, better yet (though I have absolutely no idea how they'd do this in the context of the game)- have no "levels" at all. Imagine a Splinter Cell with a completely open game world.

Top Bottom