• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Sitting on the couch, playing Knack, while my wife watches Glee cover twerking. This is the FUTURE.
I think I envy your wife the most in that situation...

Anyway I found some 3rd party sellers on Japanese amazon with the hori grip, but the seemingly Japan only 'vita assist' grip has far more, and more positive, reviews on amazon.jp. it's also cheaper so I might just go with that one if there isn't a huge difference.

BigDug13

So just another thought. If the input lag is this noticeable even with direct wifi connection, I'm a bit worried that Gaikai can even be a thing.

Adding a bunch of hops is going to be brutal for this tech.

So just another thought. If the input lag is this noticeable even with direct wifi connection, I'm a bit worried that Gaikai can even be a thing.

When Gaikai was used for PC demos I played it and it ran extremely smoothly when I wasn't even in the same country as the data centre. But that was on a wired connection in a place with modern wiring etc.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
IMPRESSIONS?!

Someone test it over the internet!

PSN is undergoing maintenance. Couldn't try it.

I did try some local remote play. I believe this was a direct connection. PS4 is hooked up via ethernet.

It definitely seems that remote play is capped at 30 FPS, but it's still pretty impressive. The screen quality is not as sharp native res Vita games, but still looks good. I played everything in the same room and did not notice any lag. Tried Injustice, which was actually very playable despite the framerate (basically just felt like playing the PS3 version online, while offline) loss, and CoD Ghosts, which also ran great. If this holds up via online play, I'll be extremely impressed with this.

That said, if this is what PS4 looks like on the Vita TV, it's going to be pretty ugly blown-up on bigger screens, and the Wii U tablet handles this much better,

USC-fan

Banned

Gaikai was working well before Sony brought them. I play crisis on it and work surprising well really didn't notice any lag.

Dranakin

Man, I knew my launch Vita had crappy Wifi hardware, but this totally confirms it. Signal just keeps dropping out and when it does stream for a few minutes, the signal shudders like crazy. All my PS hardware can download and play online normally except my Vita.

DieH@rd

Banned
So is it possible to play the PS4 with the TV off? or even with the HDMI cable disconnected?

Yes.

You only need to have TV once to pair PS4 and Vita. After that, Vita can become your primary screen. You can move PS4 somewhere else in the house, far from any TV. :)

RulkezX

What are you basing this off , I haven't seen a video yet where the input lag is that noticeable, if it's noticeable at all.

BigDug13

Yes.

You only need to have TV once to pair PS4 and Vita. After that, Vita can become your primary screen. You can move PS4 somewhere else in the house, far from any TV. :)

Excellent. I look forward to someday deciding to use that ability. :p

Probably when I go home for Christmas for 3 weeks. Family only has 1 HDMI TV in the house.

johnny956

Been playing Contrast over the internet.

Upload at home 4mbps
Download at work 6mbps (me and one employee share it)

Quality is very good. I turned my QoS off on the router and that seemed to help

DieH@rd

Banned
Been playing Contrast over the internet.

Upload at home 4mbps
Download at work 6mbps (me and one employee share it)

Quality is very good. I turned my QoS off on the router and that seemed to help
Can you tell us distance between your home and work? It would be great if you could also ping your home PC from work.

My Vita and PS4 dont seem to be communicating, I keep getting a message that says it cant connect. Any tips, maybe router stuff?

Did you try direct connection between Vita and PS4? Is your PS4 connected to the internet wirelessly via your router? If it is, turn off your router and try direct Vita>PS4 connection, just to test it.

Its working now, I did nothing. So who does this work? I thought it was through wi-fi but I guess its not. Works amazing next to the PS4, when I walk to other rooms it struggles then falls apart.

DieH@rd

Banned
iBz8EfDYOQ8xU.gif

This isn't working for me at all. I have direct connection enabled, but everything is extremely laggy and the connection drops after 10-15 seconds. I must be doing something wrong, I'm not even 10 feet from the PS4.

shink

Sorry if this has been answered but has anyone tried remote play from two different PSN accounts?
Or remote play with Netflix?

I've heard reports you need the same PSN ID for both to work. I wonder if you download the Netflix app from a US account but are logged into your AUS account on the PS4 and connect using your AUS account on both consoles if the app will run.

CF22

Works well for me but like the reviews it drops at about 20 feet away. This is why I have a Vita, if only I could've used it with PS3.

What happens if I don't have "Direct Connect" enabled? Does it go through your router instead?

So, I guess what I'm getting at, should I enable "Direct Connect" for the best playback?

Alchemy

Direct connect worked perfectly for me. No noticeable lag, and I was able to get more range than I do out of my Wii U pad. Can't wait to try it at work when I'm not on the same network.

DieH@rd

Banned
What happens if I don't have "Direct Connect" enabled? Does it go through your router instead?

So, I guess what I'm getting at, should I enable "Direct Connect" for the best playback?

Yes on both questions. DC will give you best possible connection if you are close to your PS4.

Faustek

The PSVita is 65Mbit/s max, so a router with 150 will suffice.

Alright thanks! That saves me quite a bit of money in a tight month :p

Not right not right at all.

It's true that true throughput of the router isn't what is important in this case.
Instead you should look for tests that measures the latency and can actually change channels depending on the wifi environment, important if you live in an apartment with many bases. Trust me on this been on way to many tech forums seeing people complain about this without realising that their ISPs supplied them with the crappiest of the crap crap when it comes to routers/modems -.- Usually the Cisco and Thomson are things you should consider burning straight away. If that is an option btw.

Just a curious question, do people have the ability to skip your modems and just plug in your switch/router straight away or are you bound by a mandatory ISP supplied switch/modem/router?

Ricker

I chose remote play but there is a second screen option also...how do you go back and forth between them...? will I have to input a code each time to change it to second screen? or will the game decide...?

xelloss12

I chose remote play but there is a second screen option also...how do you go back and forth between them...? will I have to input a code each time to change it to second screen? or will the game decide...?

If you hit the PS button on the Vita while in remote play, then the live area button, then continue, you can choose between remote play and second screen.

Haven't tried the second screen option, but it probably only works when the PS4 is running a game that supports it.

molnizzle

I've done a decent amount of remote playing at this point. Some impressions:

• As expected, the PS4-Vita direct connection option yields the best performance.
  • I'm admittedly not much of an input lag savant, but I couldn't discern any difference between Remote Play (direct connection) and Wii U Off-TV Play.
  • Vita and PS4 seem to have a more forgiving useable range than the Wii U GamePad. I'd estimate the range be about 25% farther.
  • I was a bit bummed to discover that there is noticeable input lag when you connect through your home WiFi network rather than via direct connection to the PS4. It's not catastrophic, but it's there.
  • The super competitive types may want to avoid playing twitchy games like fighters and shooters over their WiFi networks, though I predict that most players will find Remote Play over WiFi to be "good enough" for the vast majority of games.
  • I played Killzone through my WiFi network for several hours last night as I lay in bed. It got the job done and I'm still thrilled that such a thing is even possible, but the experience was clearly not 1:1.
  • However, I did not experience any freezes, hiccups, lag spikes or other such jank. No slowdown. Many dropped frames, but no slowdown. This resulted in a gaming experience that sometimes felt both choppy and weirdly smooth at the same time.
  • I'm probably making this sound a lot worse than it is. It's honestly not a deal breaker. Shit, I'm lying in bed, looking at a handheld, 5" OLED screen that's playing brand new, next-gen home console games that are being beamed wirelessly through 2m of brick and drywall from a console nearly 50m away on a different floor. For now, the price of that magic seems to be a few dropped frames.
    Worth it.
  • The default DualShock 4 emulation scheme is rough. Really rough. Killzone in particular is quite awkward to play because regardless of which in-game controller mapping you select, something important is going to be relegated to the Vita's rear touch pad.
  • Fuck rear touch pads.

Overall Score: Orlando Bloom out of Antonio Banderas -- deceptively strong, smooth and sexy enough to convince any straight male to let go of his inhibitions and explore the true nature of his own sexuality through a beautiful, manly love affair but not meticulously refined, powerful and wholly dependable enough to convince the man to permanently swear off women forever. The Dark Souls of handheld wireless video game streaming.

Ricker

If you hit the PS button on the Vita while in remote play, then the live area button, then continue, you can choose between remote play and second screen.

Haven't tried the second screen option, but it probably only works when the PS4 is running a game that supports it.

Ah ok,I will try that,thanks.

DieH@rd

Banned

Can you change your "over WiFi" mentions into "over WiFi router".

Direct Connection is also WiFi :)

- I played Killzone over WiFi for several hours last night as I lay in bed. It got the job done and I'm still thrilled that such a thing is even possible, but the experience was clearly not 1:1.

- However, I did not experience any freezes, hiccups, lag spikes or other such jank. No slowdown. Many dropped frames, but no slowdown. This resulted in a gaming experience that sometimes felt both choppy and weirdly smooth at the same time.

- I'm probably making this sound a lot worse than it is. It's honestly not a deal breaker. Shit, I'm lying in bed, looking at a handheld, 5" OLED screen that's playing brand new, next-gen home console games that are being beamed wirelessly through 2m of brick and drywall from a console nearly 50m away on a different floor. For now, the price of that magic seems to be a few dropped frames. Worth it.

:D :D :D I call this a great success.

nampad

• As expected, the PS4-Vita direct connection option yields the best performance.
  • I'm admittedly not much of an input lag savant, but I couldn't discern any difference between Remote Play (direct connection) and Wii U Off-TV Play.
  • Vita and PS4 seem to have a more forgiving useable range than the Wii U GamePad. I'd estimate the range be about 25% farther.
  • I was a bit bummed to discover that there is noticeable input lag when you connect through your home WiFi network rather than via direct connection to the PS4. It's not catastrophic, but it's there.
  • The super competitive types may want to avoid playing twitchy games like fighters and shooters over their WiFi networks, though I predict that most players will find Remote Play over WiFi to be "good enough" for the vast majority of games.
  • I played Killzone through my WiFi network for several hours last night as I lay in bed. It got the job done and I'm still thrilled that such a thing is even possible, but the experience was clearly not 1:1.
  • However, I did not experience any freezes, hiccups, lag spikes or other such jank. No slowdown. Many dropped frames, but no slowdown. This resulted in a gaming experience that sometimes felt both choppy and weirdly smooth at the same time.
  • I'm probably making this sound a lot worse than it is. It's honestly not a deal breaker. Shit, I'm lying in bed, looking at a handheld, 5" OLED screen that's playing brand new, next-gen home console games that are being beamed wirelessly through 2m of brick and drywall from a console nearly 50m away on a different floor. For now, the price of that magic seems to be a few dropped frames.
    Worth it.
  • The default DualShock 4 emulation scheme is rough. Really rough. Killzone in particular is quite awkward to play because regardless of which in-game controller mapping you select, something important is going to be relegated to the Vita's rear touch pad.
  • Fuck rear touch pads.

Overall Score: Orlando Bloom out of Antonio Banderas -- deceptively strong, smooth and sexy enough to convince any straight male to let go of his inhibitions and explore the true nature of his own sexuality through a beautiful, manly love affair but not meticulously refined, powerful and wholly dependable enough to convince the man to permanently swear off women forever. The Dark Souls of handheld wireless video game streaming.

How big is your place?!

So I have Direct Connect checked in the PS4 settings, but how do I tell if the Vita is actually connecting directly to the PS4 and not over the home network? It doesn't tell you which, it just searches for the PS4 and connects.

I'm 10 unobstructed feet away from the PS4 and Resogun has a noticeable amount of lag (and more importantly a pretty bad framerate).

DieH@rd

Banned
So I have Direct Connect checked in the PS4 settings, but how do I tell if the Vita is actually connecting directly to the PS4 and not over the home network? It doesn't tell you which, it just searches for the PS4 and connects.

I'm 10 unobstructed feet away from the PS4 and Resogun has a noticeable amount of lag (and more importantly a pretty bad framerate).

If your PS4 is connected to the web over the WiFi router, Remote Play may suffer. Try freeing up the PS4 WiFi modue and testing RP by either connecting PS4 to router with LAN cable or by turning off your router for a few minutes. Also, check how many 802.11g networks can you catch in your apartment [smartphone scan for available networks].

Flandy

Might go to my brothers house today and sync up my Vita with his PS4. It's 8 miles away so I'll see soon enough how remote play works over the internet

If your PS4 is connected to the web over the WiFi router, Remote Play may suffer. Try freeing up the PS4 WiFi modue and testing RP by either connecting PS4 to router with LAN cable or by turning off your router for a few minutes. Also, check how many 802.11g networks can you catch in your apartment [smartphone scan for available networks].

PS4 is connected via ethernet, and the only wifi network we see in this part of the house is our own so hopefully interference wouldn't be an issue.

I might have just been expecting too much. As of now it performs exactly as PS3-PSV Remote Play does, workable but sluggish. I figured it'd be more of an improvement.

Edit: I'm not even getting 30fps, though, or at least is doesn't feel like it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Might go to my brothers house today and sync up my Vita with his PS4. It's 8 miles away so I'll see soon enough how remote play works over the internet

Your Vita needs to be logged into your brother's PSN account. And at that distance, if your bandwiths are 5+ mbit, you will be fine.

Anyhow, give us report.

Top Bottom