• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Seems to me the best way to play this is with wifi direct. Not sure if that's how the press has been playing this but it looks very good if so.

antibolo

Banned
Sony should have put a dedicated radio for local remote play on the PS4 (like the Wii U does). A lot of people will never get the chance to use Direct Connection since they'll use the WiFi to connect to the network.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Note for anyone wanting to extend their Wifi range, powerline extender kits are the fastest and easiest way: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBRGW8/

Note that Amazon UK are doing an offer where you can get an additional free plug too, so thats a whole house network with wifi extension, for £57, right there.
If you have a spare router you just need two plugs, £20, its what i use.
Upstairs router has same SSID and password, so the vita jumps onto the strongest signal as i wander through my thick-walled house.
The Wired aspect will be perfect for Vita TV.

I have a question regarding Remote Play.

Can I still do it if i'm logged into a different account on my VITA to my PS4 account?
I want to be able to do this basically because of the limitations of one account per memory card you have in a VITA.

Like if I wanna play on XB1 therefore using the TV, my partner might want to play on VITA using remote play but the account on VITA is my account and not theirs but the account they logged in on PS4 is theirs.

I don't want them unlocking trophies etc if it has to be logged into my own to be able to use the feature?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Innnteresting. With NFS at the beginning the Vita seems to be 1 frame ahead of the TV. Watch the right indicator.

Frame 1:

AK87oki.png

Frame 2:

d1Io0YA.png

First 'proof' of that that I've seen.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Innnteresting. With NFS at the beginning the Vita seems to be 1 frame ahead of the TV. Watch the right indicator.

Frame 1:

AK87oki.png

Frame 2:

d1Io0YA.png

First 'proof' of that that I've seen.
Second for me. I think it was evident on the GameSpot or IGN test as well, I forget which.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Second for me. I think it was evident on the GameSpot or IGN test as well, I forget which.

Yeah, a couple of people said they say it on the IGN vid I think, but I couldn't catch it. It's a lot easier to see in this vid, with Killzone too.

Another perhaps more obvious, sample when the car kicks up some leaves - the progress of the leaves is 'ahead' on the Vita vs the TV:

Maybe a gif wizard can do a slow mo comparison.

Soo with me being all excited for Remote Play I want to upgrade my WLAN router from Wireless G to Wireless N and I wondered, will N150 do or do I need N300 for optimal performance?

garrickk

So, the input lag on the tv simply exceeds the transmit/delay lag to the Vita, or does starting remote play add some small export buffer delay to the TV?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So, the input lag on the tv simply exceeds the transmit/delay lag to the Vita, or does starting remote play add some small export buffer delay to the TV?

I would guess the former - I imagine it very much depends on your TV and wifi environment.

sajj316

I'm looking forward to using my PS4 as my Vita's companion device! Hopefully we get a ton more remote play videos and updates from GAFers along with their network configuration.

Type of TV/HDTV
Vita-PS4 RP config (Direct or Not)
Proximity to PS4
Router configuration (preferred channel, etc ..)

Can't wait!

winjet81

So any videos or anecdotes showing remote play from a long distance (say NY to LA ).

Interested to see if such functionality is possible.

antibolo

Banned
In an episode of Iwata Asks, the Nintendo engineers claimed that the Wii U controller lag was less than one frame. So we do know it's technically possible to beat your TV's lag.

BigDug13

So just a thought, since the PS4 is so small and has no external brick.

Will the PS4 still operate with no HDMI plugged in?

In other words, could I put my PS4 in a backpack, get to a destination and pull it out and plug it in to a power outlet. Then connect to it with my Vita and I basically have PS4 on a mobile screen without having to be in a living room environment plugged in to a TV?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Note for anyone wanting to extend their Wifi range, powerline extender kits are the fastest and easiest way: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBRGW8/

Note that Amazon UK are doing an offer where you can get an additional free plug too, so thats a whole house network with wifi extension, for £57, right there.
If you have a spare router you just need two plugs, £20, its what i use.
Upstairs router has same SSID and password, so the vita jumps onto the strongest signal as i wander through my thick-walled house.

How tolerant are they of being plugged into 4-way extensions? The instructions always tell you to only plug it directly into the wall, but I can't spare a socket just for that.

And didn't realise you could do that with the same SSID. Just router upstairs with the same SSID, connected to a home plug? I guess you turn off DHCP so it's just acting as an access point?

spwolf

In other words, could I put my PS4 in a backpack, get to a destination and pull it out and plug it in to a power outlet. Then connect to it with my Vita and I basically have PS4 on a mobile screen without having to be in a living room environment plugged in to a TV?

yes, but your home network will have to be fast, real fast.

You will need a minimum of 4Mbs upload and quality network as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Like that guy on a Japanese train? If the PS4 will boot without HDMI then yes. But I don't know if that has been tested.

DieH@rd

Banned
We need more of this kind of tests, with reports about upload speed and PC>internet>smartphone ping between those locations.

Maedhros

We need tests made with some kind of metric for the nerds. Input delay, number of frames... over the many number of types of Remote Play.

suedester

Banned
Kotaku have posted a pretty inept article about remote play here. Not even sure where to begin to be honest. You'd have thought a games journalist would have at least a basic understanding of how a major feature works. And if not, at least do a bit of fucking research. The worst problem is the classic mistake of thinking his download and upload rate has any bearing on the quality. The mind boggles.

http://kotaku.com/ps4-remote-play-put-to-the-test-1464725207

maverick41

Neo Member
One of the first things I tried when I got my PS4 last night (I live in Guam which is GMT+10). I can confirm that remote play is legit. I played it with NBA 2k14 and got very little to no lag. It is very much playable and I love it. This definitely makes the Vita a seller for me. Absolutely love this feature.

PS4 Killzone Remote Play on Vita... Over the Internet!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ko7EjYuX4

Looks very nice... :O

Wow, thanks for sharing, that is better than I hoped. I have FIOS Quantum and my PS4 will be plugged in to my gigabit verizon router. My last speed test from Boston to NYC was 90 down, 40 up with 30ms ping. Was kind of hoping just maybe I would be able to play single player games with a bit of lag from my folks place (also on fios) 15 minutes from here. Now I have hope. Next Gen is here!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So are all you guys Japanese?
I heard from Polygon that's who Remote Play was for.
*sigh* I laughed out loud.
In other words, could I put my PS4 in a backpack, get to a destination and pull it out and plug it in to a power outlet. Then connect to with my Vita and I basically have PS4 on a mobile screen without having to be in a living room environment plugged in to a TV?
Yes. And, if you face it the right way, it won't have too much heating issues either. Might want to go diskless though. And put it flat on the ground. But yes. You can connect without a wi-fi router ; directly to the PS4.

Another very important question!

Which vita grip would likely be the best for remote play? In other words, one which is comfortable for long sessions, even for those with bigger hands (this might be what Polygon meant about remote play being for the Japanese :p ), but still give easy access to the back touchpad? I'm in Japan if that limits/ widens my options.

Curufinwe

Another very important question!

Which vita grip would likely be the best for remote play? In other words, one which is comfortable for long sessions, even for those with bigger hands (this might be what Polygon meant about remote play being for the Japanese :p ), but still give easy access to the back touchpad? I'm in Japan if that limits/ widens my options.

I love the Hori Grip. Never take it off.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WJ70SS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sold out here but might be available in Japan.

Curufinwe

Kotaku have posted a pretty inept article about remote play here. Not even sure where to begin to be honest. You'd have thought a games journalist would have at least a basic understanding of how a major feature works. And if not, at least do a bit of fucking research. The worst problem is the classic mistake of thinking his download and upload rate has any bearing on the quality. The mind boggles.

Jason posts here so if you lay out your complaints in a respectful way and with good explanations he may well respond and even update his article.

rschauby

Banned

While it's not a technically well written article it does have results. Remote play only seems to do well within 20 feet of the PS4.

This doesn't bode well for those who were hoping to play BF4 remote play while sitting at the airport.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For being over the internet, that one video earlier is pretty impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it ran that well.

Maedhros

While it's not a technically well written article it does have results. Remote play only seems to do well within 20 feet of the PS4.

This doesn't bode well for those who were hoping to play BF4 remote play while sitting at the airport.

DIRECT Remote Play. There are many types of remote play. Did he tried to connect to his router, using a repeater?

Also, other people could play with their Vita away more than 20 feet.

Top Bottom