• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

It seems like you can just use the Vita as a monitor too! So you can use the PS4 controller and just have the video playing on the Vita if you're going to be playing for a while and you wouldn't have to compromise on control scheme either!

I'm hoping that the PlayStation App on the iPad will allow this functionality at some point too. Would be awesome if I could set up the iPad somewhere and just use my DS4. Make it so, Shuhei!

Guymelef

So I presume for that you need to exit the PS3 game? Or you can do that inside game's mini XMB?

With PS4, RemotePlay can be activated at all times, which is great.

Yes, you have to quit the game, the only way to play a PS3 remote play game is starting the game while you are using remote play.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm hoping that the PlayStation App on the iPad will allow this functionality at some point too. Would be awesome if I could set up the iPad somewhere and just use my DS4. Make it so, Shuhei!
PC support would be great too (PS3 Remote Play worked with it).

They really improved Remote Play with this update.

I'm playing Castlevania Chronicles 40 miles away from my PS3 with little to no lag.
Wait what? More games tested please!

Wait what? More games tested please!

All of the PSOne games I've tested have been satisfactory, but they might not be the best for measuring lag. Most of my PSOne games are RPGs. Castlevania Chronicles and SOTN are more than playable. There is a bit of lag at times, but overall it's very impressive.

As for PS3 games, I only have GoW 1&2 to test. So far they play at what I'd measure to be an acceptable, but not ideal, level. The wi-fi signal in my office isn't the best so I guess YMMV. I'm looking forward to trying it with a stronger access point later today.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Oh i see.

I'll wait for a price cut for the native vita version then.

Glad rp is working so well after the update. Will only get better on ps4
Even if it worked it loses picture quality through remote play. Native version is the best way to go. For me it was just a matter of convenience when the downstairs TV was occupied and I could still grab a few Teensys.

Piccoro

That's for Remote Start not for Remote Play.
I think you are misunderstanding...

Imagine this scenario:

• You're away from home and connect your Vita to a WiFi hotspot or 3G
  • You turn on Remote Play on Vita and the PS3 at your house turns itself on
  • You're now controlling the PS3 through your Vita, no need for you to be at home, and manually accept the Vita's connection

Now, in order for this to happen, you previously had to set the PS3 in Settings -> Remote Play Settings -> Remote Start (ON).

The Vita wakes up the PS3 and that's it!

Guymelef

I think you are misunderstanding...

Imagine this scenario:

• You're away from home and connect your Vita to a WiFi hotspot or 3G
  • You turn on Remote Play on Vita and the PS3 at your house turns itself on
  • You're now controlling the PS3 through your Vita, no need for you to be at home, and manually accept the Vita's connection

Now, in order for this to happen, you previously had to set the PS3 in Settings -> Remote Play Settings -> Remote Start (ON).

The Vita wakes up the PS3 and that's it!

The scenario is this.
With PS3.
-Imagine you are playing a PS3 game and you have Vita off.
-You want to go to the W.C.
-Turn on PSVITA.
-Exit PS3 game.
-Go to network->remote play in PS3.
-Open remote play app in PSV.
-Launch PS3 game again via Remote Play.

With PS4 you don't have to execute "remote play" from PS4, console is always waiting for Vita connection.

Man, I think I'm getting a Vita ASAP. Perhaps a stupid question (I don't know much about the device): Is there a way of knowing if I'm getting the OLED or LED version? Should I actively search one or the other? Is there a "must have games" thread here on GAF?

edit: turned out to be three stupid questions after all.

Man, I think I'm getting a Vita ASAP. Perhaps a stupid question (I don't know much about the device): Is there a way of knowing if I'm getting the OLED or LED version? Should I actively search one or the other? Is there a "must have games" thread here on GAF?
You can only get an LCD model in Japan. It's the 2000 series and it's slimmer and lighter. Buttons look different and so does the front face of the device.

If you're anywhere else in the world you'll be getting the original vita - OLED.

Wow. Nice KZ vid. Looks so damn responsive.

Seeing those two screens together made me think .... I know it's so not gonna happen but I feel like its going to be such a missed opportunity if (when) the PS4 version of Minecraft doesn't have an option to use the Vita as a touchscreen controller for inventory and crafting.

I'm a bit confused, sorry if it is a stupid question or has already been asked and I missed it -- can you connect your PS4 to your home network using Wifi only and still use Remote Play? It seems like in the top two examples of "in home remote play" they are both connected using LAN.

co1onel

I'm a bit confused, sorry if it is a stupid question or has already been asked and I missed it -- can you connect your PS4 to your home network using Wifi only and still use Remote Play? It seems like in the top two examples of "in home remote play" they are both connected using LAN.

Unfortunately, no.

DieH@rd

Banned

One GAF memeber has managed to use both the internet and RP at the same time with PS3. without the use of LAN cable. If both connections are wireless, then RP will have priority and the connection to the internet will be greatly slowed down.

But we dont have confirmation that this will work on PS4.

BigDug13

It seems like it can't do internet over wifi through the same pipe as it's doing remote play over wifi. Maybe remote play needs the entirety of the wifi hardware of the system to function. So if you want internet while remote playing, looks like Ethernet is it. (You can buy hardware that can take your ethernet output and connect to wifi networks though, so if running ethernet cable isn't an option...)

This is the feature that pushed me over the edge to buy a Vita.

Then I discovered Vita is fucking amazing on its own o_o

can't wait to try out remote play :D

Gaz_RB

I really hope this works. Buying a Vita for this.

Will the 1001 OLED version perform just as well as the 2000 LCD one?

But will I be able to remote play games from my jap/us psn account PS4 to my eu account Vita?
I think the answer is no, however so long as you set your ps4 as the home console for your US and JP accounts then your EU account has access to purchases etc tied to those other accounts and you won't lose out on too much. If you really want to use those other profiles then you're gonna have to switch memory cards and reboot or whatever each time...

DieH@rd

Banned
OK, this dude has unboxed COD Ghost for PS4, and then he made a separate short video of Vita starting PS4 Link app and then running COD Ghosts opening cinematic. He did not show PS4 UI anywhere... so maybe he is messing with us using CFW PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jklAfeRYXKk

He posted this just ~25 mins ago, so hopefully he will post more.

I cannot wait to play the next gen elder scrolls game on a vita's nice OLED. As well as the next GoW and other quirky titles (like this gen's afrika). If it all ends up working as promised I'll be in portable gaming heaven.

Nice, good to see the vita getting really good support.

I just wanna say though the PSP1, has readable text. That image is misleading. If it didn't have readable text no1 would have bought and been able to beat any RPGs let alone navigate the interface lol especially if they haven't even played the desired game on the PSP. I know us people know this, but not everyone knows looking from the outside.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Unfortunately, no.

should be yes. You can't connect directly, but it should go through your router?

KAL2006

Banned
Let me get this straight if my PS4 isn't connected via ether net cable I cannot connect Vita directly to PS4 and it has to be done through the Router.

DieH@rd

Banned
Let me get this straight if my PS4 isn't connected via ether net cable I cannot connect Vita directly to PS4 and it has to be done through the Router.

PS3 can connect wirelessly both to router and to vita remote play. In that case, RP has priority and internet connection speed gets throttled way down.

We dont know if PS4 will support this. In any case, if you are connecting directly PS4 and Vita, its very recommended to use LAN cable for the internet connection.

shink

Gosh I hope some of the Entertainment Apps are Remote Playable - specifically Netflix (from US PSN PS4 account to a AUS PSN Vita account)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gosh I hope some of the Entertainment Apps are Remote Playable - specifically Netflix (from US PSN PS4 account to a AUS PSN Vita account)

I imagine the protocol is there for it just to work regardless of cross talk UNLESS it requires the same account to be sync'd and logged in between PS4/Vita. I don't think it even requires internet so I doubt that.

Top Bottom