• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Resident Evil 5 after 8 years, apparently I'm starting to like it?

Fushitsusha

Banned
RE5 is a great game. The gunplay is satisfying and it's always fun to play and experiment with all the different weapons. Just spraing down hordes of zombs.

Last edited:

jtt935

I can’t tell if 5 is thought of more fondly because it was genuinely good or if it’s because 6 was absolute trash. I remember it being ok but I’ve never had the desire to replay it.

Belmonte

This makes no sense, if the game is good then it's good. If you didn't want RE5 to be like it was you shouldn't have praised RE4.

Let me explain my reasoning:

I wish Resident Evil remained a survivor horror. Didn't like when I saw how action oriented RE4 was but it was so well made that it justified the new aproach. RE5 is good but not good enough to justify the lost survivor horror mechanics for me.

You want to eat a hamburguer but there is only pizza. Fortunatelly the pizza is so well made that you forgot you wanted a hamburguer. This is how I feel about RE4.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
5 was decent, I liked the stuff toward the end. 6 was the one that was horrendously bad, and I couldn't get into Revelations 2 either.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
TanTeemingDungenesscrab-size_restricted.gif

larkwaffle

5 was decent, I liked the stuff toward the end. 6 was the one that was horrendously bad, and I couldn't get into Revelations 2 either.

I tried and failed to get into RE Revelations 1 and 2. The second one was way better but I still couldn't stick with it for some reason. Maybe I need to go back and give it another go.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I liked RER1 and RER2, but those games use a mix of RE classic's horror approach with RE4's action oriented approach. Although RE2 mastered it.

I think what makes RER1 a poorer game is that it was strictly limited to the 3DS so blowing it up in HD showed all the glaring faults, something similar to what happened with FF Type-0 (great on portable, not great on HD).

GametimeUK

It's a good game. I kind of liked it on single player, but on Coop is was great. It's a shame it was the follow up to Resident Evil 4 because it was nowhere close to being a masterpiece. Resi 5 is good on its own merits, though.

Generic

Revelations 1 and 2 tried to mix the old games with RE4's approach... but without understanding RE4's foundations. The results were weak uninspired TPS games that felt stuck in time.

Depends on which kind of mercenaries we're talking about.

If you're talking about the original mercenaries(the one who came with Resident Evil 3), then yes I played and it's kinda satisfating in its own way.
RE3 Mercenaries isn't good, the good Mercenaries mode started in RE4 and was mastered in RE6.

Let me explain my reasoning:

I wish Resident Evil remained a survivor horror. Didn't like when I saw how action oriented RE4 was but it was so well made that it justified the new aproach. RE5 is good but not good enough to justify the lost survivor horror mechanics for me.

You want to eat a hamburguer but there is only pizza. Fortunatelly the pizza is so well made that you forgot you wanted a hamburguer. This is how I feel about RE4.
RE5 improved on a lot of things that RE4 did. You praised the pizza and incentivized the restaurant's owner to make more of them.

Saber

Gold Member
RE3 Mercenaries isn't good, the good Mercenaries mode started in RE4 and was mastered in RE6.

A matter of opinion then. I prefer the one from RE3, since its like a running against time yet still have goal/end.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I tried and failed to get into RE Revelations 1 and 2. The second one was way better but I still couldn't stick with it for some reason. Maybe I need to go back and give it another go.

Most people agree with you. I beat and enjoyed Revelations 1, but couldn't get more than 2 hours into 2. Revelations 1 had that backtracking, puzzle solving, old school Resident Evil feel, while not being nearly as polished obviously. Revelations 2, from what I played, felt far more linear and action-oriented. Which is why I stopped playing. Maybe that changes later on, but I didn't give it the time to find out. I bailed and moved onto other games.

Neolombax

I played RE5 couch coop with my housemate at the time, and it was really an enjoyable experience. Played the game solo, not as great though.

edbrat

RE5 mercs is fucking amazing, played it so much back in the day. Playing as a duo and chasing combo scores, so much fun. This is someone way better than me doing that with Wesker:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
RE5 is great, loved the game. Has a few quirks of course, but the biggest issue I had with it was they ditched the seller and instead just gave you a generic UI.

But it’s a great game, and while not as good as 4, a great follow up.

Now, 6? That’s a game I’ve never been able to play to completion... it’s just bad... really, really bad...

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yeah, only Capcom knows what constitutes a Resident Evil game. It's not like they'd slap the name onto a game just to sell some...
220px-OperationRaccoonCity.jpg

...oh.

It's obvious the dude was talking about pure Survival Horror, which the franchise strayed way from post-4.
Thankfully, Capcom seems to have found a happy medium with RE2 Remake: Normal mode for fans of 5&6, and a Hardcore mode for fans of actual Survival Horror.
That's clearly a Resident Evil game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I loved it from the start. Key was playing coop with a friend as the AI partner was pretty shit.

I wasn’t a big fan of RE prior to 4 though as I’m not big into survival horror so I liked the more action-oriented turn with 4 and 5. Six was trash though. Seven and the remake of 2 were very good though. Being a bit more survival focused is fine without the shitty tank controls.

I quite disliked RE5 upon release. Between the AI partner being completely moronic and xbl not being able to provide me with adequetely stable co-op, the whole thing was just a tedious chore.

A few years later, they release an updated version on Steam which also allows me to use M+K, and what do you know...we now have a game that is an absolute blast to play with a friend, and it looks sharper than ever. I always quite enjoyed killing the hordes of enemies, picking up loot/money and taking it back to the hub to upgrade weapons, and being able to do it with a friend made it a much more enjoyable experience.

It's still got some tedious areas and the story is a whole load of crap, but i actually kind of prefer it to RE4 now. A game I returned to recently and just did not enjoy anymore, despite having a great time with it on GC/PS2.

Top Bottom