• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Resident Evil 5 after 8 years, apparently I'm starting to like it?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So usually I replay Resident Evil games (the only RE games I haven't replayed are RE5, RE6, and RE:R. RE:R 2, RE7, and RE2 Remake are fairly recent) and I decided to give RE5 another shot but on the PS4 this time (last time it was on the PS3). It's been a long time since I've played this game and it ended with a sour note due to how dull and how drab the game is compared to the older RE games.

Fast forward to now and I seem to be enjoying this game for some reason. Thought the battle system isn't as sleek as RE4, in fact it's pretty clumsy for some reason, I'm weirdly enjoying this game and I'm completely fine with the way it looks. The progress is fine and it doesn't seem to be boring.

Perhaps this is what you call when your tastes change when you grow older, like you appreciate games you hated previously now (like for me, I enjoyed FFX-2 and FFXII compared to before).

Lanrutcon

It's a fantastic game, but weirdly positioned. The coop element is great, but detracts from the single player. The farming aspect is great for coop, but makes the single player super easy. I don't think the setting is for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I managed to grind through RE5 once. I didn't even mind the stuff a lot of people seemed to hate, like Sheva picking items up. I just found the combat boring and tiresome, the level design boring, and the story awful. Certain moments, like the masked guys in the stilt houses, just seemed to drag on and on way longer than they should have. And that rock punching at the end was garbage.

What do you think you're liking the second time through?

Meted

It's a great game in coop and even single player, however most people, myself included believe it would have been a better game had they not forced in the coop mid development. The way that game looked and sounded from interviews before it was changed sounded like a proper follow up to RE4

Papa

Banned
I remember GAF bitching about it a lot at the time but I absolutely loved it. Probably helps that I played through the whole game with a mate. Also it was my first RE so I didn’t really have any expectations going in. I have tried RE4 on several different platforms over the years since and just can’t get past the god awful control scheme.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The problem with with RE4, 5 and 6 is that they aren't Resident Evil. They're great games, specially 4, but way different from the source (6 even more)

Play with co op and chances are that you will like more

Perhaps this is what you call when your tastes change when you grow older, like you appreciate games you hated previously now (like for me, I enjoyed FFX-2 and FFXII compared to before).

I think I'm going through something similar. I've started to appreciate the mid-range/AA and "average" 5 ~ 7/10 games of yesteryear more than I did before.

Last edited:

Filben

Vice versa for me. Really loved it at release and finished it in coop with my brother in a few sessions and I still like the memories of it. With the PS4 version I tried to get in again and realised how dated the mechanics are for me. It's not that fun how I remembered it anymore and I probably will never play it again. For one thing it's kinda sad, then again everything has its time and I still remember the awesome ride we had with the game.

Right now I can't even think of an example what I disliked before and ended up liking it years later.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Coming from RE4, that is my favourite game of all time, I HATED RE5 with all my heart when I first played it.

Fast forward a few years I found myself replaying it on PC and actually ended up enjoying it a lot. Sure, it's nowhere near as good as 4 but I realized that I was way to harsh with it back when it was released. It's a decent game.

Mista

Banned
Since it’s on XGP, me and my mate decided to download it and play it all over again. NOPE! The controls are bollocks, I couldn’t handle playing the whole game with those rubbish controls. As a game it’s fun especially in co-op but as Resident Evil games it’s not that much since they went all Hollywood and the game wasn’t scary at all

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The problem with with RE4, 5 and 6 is that they aren't Resident Evil.
Come off it with this shit. You don't run Capcom. You don't own the Resident Evil trademark. You have no say in what games are Resident Evil games. Just because they're not horror centric to the point of reducing how fun they and don't have shitty controls doesn't mean they're not Resident Evil games. They're Resident Evil games. You not liking them doesn't make them not Resident Evil games.

dan76

I've found a way to enjoy it over the years. I think the PS4 version runs a lot smoother than the x360 I originally played it on, plus the PS4 has the option of a wider field of view. Playing single player I just give Sheva that lightning stick and some armour when you can by it. I don't let her shoot anything and just use her as an ammo mule.

It's a work around for something you shouldn't have to. I'd have much preferred a proper single player rather than the tacked on forced co-op. The map design is a step back from RE4 but compared to RE6 it's a masterpiece. One thing they nailed is how solid everything's feels, no jank in the controls and pulling off headshots with an upgraded handgun is great. It's just not spooky. It's a cool slower paced action game.

Ellis

Not even close to RE4's greatness, but i still loved the hell out of it. The Chris, Jill and Wesker story was great. Over the top, just like it should be.

And that lighting looked fucking incredible. Along with the texture detail of Chris' BSAA vest.

Come off it with this shit. You don't run Capcom. You don't own the Resident Evil trademark. You have no say in what games are Resident Evil games.
Yeah, only Capcom knows what constitutes a Resident Evil game. It's not like they'd slap the name onto a game just to sell some...
220px-OperationRaccoonCity.jpg

...oh.

It's obvious the dude was talking about pure Survival Horror, which the franchise strayed way from post-4.
Thankfully, Capcom seems to have found a happy medium with RE2 Remake: Normal mode for fans of 5&6, and a Hardcore mode for fans of actual Survival Horror.

WindomURL

Never could get all the way through it. Tried a few times, most recently immediately prior to RE2R. Usually make it to where you're riding around in the boat thing and rampaging through stilt villages, and then I just...look away. And don't come back. Not sure why. It's weird cuz I enjoy it, but it just loses appeal there.

Though I've played through 4 a number of times, I haven't been able to actually finish a playthrough in many years. Always stop right after the fight with Krauser in the ruins. Same kind of thing- I just look away, and don't look back.

It probably has something to do with overall length. This didn't happen in RE2R. I happily played through it probably a dozen times, but one can also complete that game in a couple hours, whereas 4 & 5 require more time in their linearity.

Wonder if there's an official name or word for those areas in games, those areas where the momentum just dries up.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Come off it with this shit. You don't run Capcom. You don't own the Resident Evil trademark. You have no say in what games are Resident Evil games. Just because they're not horror centric to the point of reducing how fun they and don't have shitty controls doesn't mean they're not Resident Evil games. They're Resident Evil games. You not liking them doesn't make them not Resident Evil games.
u mad//

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I played through RE5 with one of my best friends and we had a blast - It's actually one of my all time favorite cooperative gaming memories. I loved playing Sheva with the longbow. :)

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The problem with with RE4, 5 and 6 is that they aren't Resident Evil. They're great games, specially 4, but way different from the source (6 even more)

Play with co op and chances are that you will like more
I must be one of the few people who, by now, loves the series especially because it changed so many times over the years. Call me crazy, but as much as I loved RE2 Remake, I would not want them to make the next RE game like it or RE7 (which I also loved). Hope they take a completely new apporach with the series. I mean, fuck it. Just surprise me Capcom.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I must be one of the few people who, by now, loves the series especially because it changed so many times over the years. Call me crazy, but as much as I loved RE2 Remake, I would not want them to make the next RE game like it or RE7 (which I also loved). Hope they take a completely new apporach with the series. I mean, fuck it. Just surprise me Capcom.
I guess that should try Dead Rising

kunonabi

It's a fun enough co-op game to screw around with for a couple afternoons but as a total package it's pretty awful.

6 makes 5 look like a masterpiece so Yeah.

5 is an all right game, not that good, but re4's foundation and some great graphics (piss filter aside) for the time helped a lot.

Fake

I played through RE5 with one of my best friends and we had a blast - It's actually one of my all time favorite cooperative gaming memories. I loved playing Sheva with the longbow. :)
I not a fan of RE4 (was the worst for me imo, not saying its a bad game, but I a huge fan of old times RE1,RE2,RE3), but in that case of RE5 cooperative was actually pretty good (Xbox 360). Of course both RE4,RE5,RE6 remove all aspects of survival horror that gave Biohazard the famous name and put more shooter mechanics than ever, but still RE5 get my respect of putting coop.

Generic

A good game that suffered a lot of hate because Capcom back then was trying to appeal to the western market.

Yeah, only Capcom knows what constitutes a Resident Evil game. It's not like they'd slap the name onto a game just to sell some...
220px-OperationRaccoonCity.jpg

...oh.

It's obvious the dude was talking about pure Survival Horror, which the franchise strayed way from post-4.
Thankfully, Capcom seems to have found a happy medium with RE2 Remake: Normal mode for fans of 5&6, and a Hardcore mode for fans of actual Survival Horror.
Well they did the same with RE7 but this time RE fans praised them for doing it.

Also I didn't play RE2 Remake but if it's like RE7 then it's nothing like RE4/5/6, not sure what you are saying with "happy medium".

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Nah, that ship has sailed.

I kinda wish they do a RE3 Remake with an Open World approach. Kinda like what Downpour did with Silent Hill. You know, with side quests and everything.
Is called Day's Gone, and is not that good

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really love RE4. RE5 is coming from a hard place (aka needing to be better than RE4) and it kinda failed at it, but it’s still a decent game. Not very “RE” but it’s still a great game nonetheless.

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
The main reason I love re5 so much was the fact a friend and I play through that campaign at least a dozen times. Upgrading everything and get the achievements was a damn blast. As someone who’s favorite re game is The RE1 remake this is just pure fun with a good friend.

PSYGN

It was my top 3 game last gen but that's because I had my brother along for the ride the entire time. It's really fun upgrading your weapons and the monster variety was pretty cool. Movement/aim felt pretty dated even then but how we overlooked it was just a testament to how good the game was otherwise. In fact we both played the remastered version again last year on our PS4.

Last edited:

trikster40

I loved the game, was an absolute blast to play especially coop. When that came out, Resident Evil really wasn’t about survival horror any more anyway.

It's good. Too bad the partner AI is brain dead. Not sure how someone's takeaway could be that the game is dull and drab though.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is why I don't talk down to games for personal gratification, Capcom made a good chunk of money off of RE5 and Mercs. is off the charts extraordinary.

Saber

Gold Member
It's not so bad, but it isn't a good game either.

Used to play with my brother at time. Once we beat the game(it was dead boring), we drop it for good.

Pejo

I loved 5. 6 is where the series shat the bed for me. I really enjoyed playing co-op with some friends. I wish they'd have done more 2 person puzzles honestly.

Belmonte

The problem is that it isn't a masterpiece like RE4, so it is harder to justify losing the survivor horror aspect from the point of view of a classic RE fan, like myself.

I wish RE4 was a survivor horror but I can't ignore it is the best TPS I ever played. RE5 is good, but not that good.

Now that RE is again the survivor horror franchise I love, RE5 feels better. Like Zelda 2. It is an awesome game but I would be pissed if Zelda had gone that route instead of a top down adventure. Since we know it won't be the case, I can enjoy Zelda 2 a lot more, without apprehension. I would even welcome some kind of spin-off with Zelda 2 style, like I would welcome an action RE spin-off.

checkcola

I always thought it was solid and I thought the Jill twist was cool and an epic boss fight. That said, no doubt RE4 is much better.

Generic

The problem is that it isn't a masterpiece like RE4, so it is harder to justify losing the survivor horror aspect from the point of view of a classic RE fan, like myself.

I wish RE4 was a survivor horror but I can't ignore it is the best TPS I ever played. RE5 is good, but not that good.

Now that RE is again the survivor horror franchise I love, RE5 feels better. Like Zelda 2. It is an awesome game but I would be pissed if Zelda had gone that route instead of a top down adventure. Since we know it won't be the case, I can enjoy Zelda 2 a lot more, without apprehension. I would even welcome some kind of spin-off with Zelda 2 style, like I would welcome an action RE spin-off.
This makes no sense, if the game is good then it's good. If you didn't want RE5 to be like it was you shouldn't have praised RE4.

Barakov

I played it single player and I really enjoyed it. I don't think it's even close to being the best RE but taken on its' own merits I think it's a great game. Also that rock punching scene was pretty good.

Saber

Gold Member
Imagine not playing Mercenaries.

Depends on which kind of mercenaries we're talking about.

If you're talking about the original mercenaries(the one who came with Resident Evil 3), then yes I played and it's kinda satisfating in its own way.

Top Bottom