• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: More Women Own Videogame Consoles Than Men in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
900 people across the population of America would give you a confidence level of 95% with a margin of error of around 3%...

This thread is fucking hilarious.

Kids need to learn statistics.

This was gonna be my comment. Thanks now I don't have to say it.

g11

Look at examples in other mediums that are most popular with women. The most popular books with a majority female readership, the most popular movies where the audience is predominantly women, the most popular TV shows where women are the largest segment of the audience. Look at that and look at the best selling games any year and tell me that's a remotely similar audience.

Guess Who

Banned
It's sad that, by the terribly low standards of gaming communities, GAF is actually pretty progressive, and yet here's this thread.

No, you imbecile, are you kidding me with this

Trotting out this bullshit with nothing - nothing - to back up your statement? Something in this emperical evidence got you shook and you're now getting called out on it. You obviously don't know shit about shit when it comes to statistics.

and pull up your pants

buy a dictionary, look up sexism, and work your way forward from there genius

Guri

*reads thread*
Guys oh my god

We should be celebrating! The increased inclusivity and diversification of our medium should be met with open arms not eyebrows raised!

I'm happy that games have become wide reaching enough to not only exclusively cater to one demographic!

Exactly. I'm not really surprised to see some freaking out here, but what you said is what truly matters. I hope this also means we will see more diverse games and a more respectful community towards women and LBGTIQA+ groups.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's sad that, by the terribly low standards of gaming communities, GAF is actually pretty progressive, and yet here's this thread.

My thoughts, summed up. I generally regard GAF as a safe, inclusive space, especially by gaming community standards. But this thread shows we still have a long way to go when it comes to combating ingrained sexist beliefs about the demographics of people who play games, as well as elitist/sexist notions of what it means to be a "gamer".

Kaze2212

Really astonishing to read some of the comments in this thread...

On topic:

This is great. Not only does the gaming demographic diversifiy and grow even more, but this hopefully will also have a postive impact on games in the near future.

Adry9

I wish that was representative, but we all know here that men spend more time playing video games than women simply just by looking around our friends/family. Or in a bigger scale, just check the ratio of men/women in this forum. I hope we get to that reality soon though.

EDIT: I want more women playing games but applauding this news without actually thinking if they are representative it's not gonna help.

writeandwrong

Neo Member
Look at examples in other mediums that are most popular with women. The most popular books with a majority female readership, the most popular movies where the audience is predominantly women, the most popular TV shows where women are the largest segment of the audience. Look at that and look at the best selling games any year and tell me that's a remotely similar audience.

You mean like The Hunger Games, that dystopian sci-fi action series of books and movies? Or The 100, that dystopian sci-fi action TV series? I guess you're right, there've never been video games like that before.

To be fair, I think it's at least an understandable position to be skeptical as the industry has traditionally catered to men fairly heavily. I'm optimistic that most of the people skeptical here would wish it were true.

But that said, some people are so quick to disregard a survey completely it does seem pretty nasty.

FluxWaveZ

Yes you can actually.

That is a perfectly acceptable sample size for this type of poll.

It amazes me how ignorant some are about how polling works.

Yeah:
Apparently that's wrong, huh.

Well, I wouldn't expect it to based on my very limited knowledge on statistics, but that seems to be the consensus.
I was ignorant (still am, reading up on it based on what's been said in this thread) about polling methodology. Just sounded weird to me to extrapolate the habits of a 318.9 million population from a sample size of 948, but I'm learning it isn't.

brerwolfe

Why are so many people offended by this thought? Similar to the issue of same-sex marriage, it seems like people think it's somehow gonna impact their personal lives.

Women play videogames. Fantastic. Women have more consoles than men. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE.

That's like the opposite of the neogaf slogan.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
buy a dictionary, look up sexism, and work your way forward from there genius
doesn't know how stats and polling works
tells me to buy a dictionary

well that worked out as expected

Why are some posters trying so hard to dismiss these statistics?
TaQlEbj.jpg

marrec

Banned
Why are some posters trying so hard to dismiss these statistics?

It doesn't fit with their worldview. To them gaming is a boys club not because they want to be exclusive but because they have experienced it largely as such.

So a proper poll showing that they are actually the minority of console owners must be shocking to them.

Interesting that they aren't more shocked by the income level differences.

Orayn

900 people across the population of America would give you a confidence level of 95% with a margin of error of around 3%...

This thread is fucking hilarious.

Kids need to learn statistics.

You know how the saying goes: There's lies, damned lies, and, uh, statistics are lies when I don't like what they're saying.

Something like that.

Exactly. I'm not really surprised to see some freaking out here, but what you said is what truly matters. I hope this also means we will see more diverse games and a more respectful community towards women and LBGTIQA+ groups.

I think you are confusing two things here...

Nobody's freaking out...

And

Own is not the same thing as Play

Are we supposed to just believe whatever they say? I posted my skepticism with the survey, and somebody actually hit me back with some statistics... That has me thinking I maybe wrong. No regrets I learned something.

Kaze2212

[] I know how statistics works
[x] I don't know how statistics works

Why are people complaining about this issue when they obviously don't have a clue?

If you have no clue at all, you often think you know it all.

Even if you only have a little idea about something, you actually realize that you almost know nothing about it.

I'd be very happy if this was true. It's the last step towards the true normalisation of our hobby.

It is surprising though. Anecdotally, I know very few women and lots of men who own a console. Admittedly this is in the UK but gaming trends here tend to close to what is happening in the US.

well that worked out as expected

Thank you very much.

GAF seems to have a real problem with statistics they don't like. Or maybe sexists on GAF come out of the woodwork when their covert sexism can fly under the radar as "healthy skepticism." There was another thread that said most high school boys were tired or sexualized women in games and people tore it to pieces and tried to come up with a hundred different reasons the survey must be inaccurate.

That thread was a train wreck too: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1077889

I don't understand this. Why can't you just be normal. Why can you just treat women like normal people. Why does the first post of this thread have to be a marriage proposal and a qualifier that the OP isn't like other girls.

Like, what the FUCK.

Why.

Shahed

Now if only the type of software produced catered to a more even demographic instead of young male adults. Not that I wqnt them to move from 'dudebro' to chick flix Twilight stuff. But something more balanced that caters to both would be nice. There's a reason I find RPG's to be my favourite genre and the only games I recommend to my sisters. Don't have a source but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that games like Final Fantasy have a more balanced gender split than your typical AAA game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom