• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: More Women Own Videogame Consoles Than Men in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
900 people is more than enough for an a accurate statistical sampling if the sampling was done correctly.

What is wrong with people in here? Just because it doesn't match up with your personal preferences, it doesn't mean the information is invalid.

900 people is accurate for the whole of the USA? Lol

Statistics like these are always full of shit in my opinion, people are not clones of each other and almost always the statistics are biased in nature, get the results that prove your points or ignore them.

Based on anecdotal evidence, online and off, I don't believe it. Maybe I don't know the right people or hang out at the right online communities. But I'm not seeing it.

marrec

Banned
I think you are confusing two things here...

Nobody's freaking out...

And

Own is not the same thing as Play

Are we supposed to just believe whatever they say? I posted my skepticism with the survey, and somebody actually hit me back with some statistics... That has me thinking I maybe wrong. No regrets I learned something.

If you assume that the women who own consoles don't actually play them then you would have to assume that the same number of men who own consoles don't actually play them. The differences between "own and don't play" and "own to play" would not be enough to make up for the fact that men are the statistical minority of console owners.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
That was...

ice cold

pinnochio.gif

Guri

I think you are confusing two things here...

Nobody's freaking out...

And

Own is not the same thing as Play

Are we supposed to just believe whatever they say? I posted my skepticism with the survey, and somebody actually hit me back with some statistics... That has me thinking I maybe wrong. No regrets I learned something.

I see a lot of people freaking out and yes, lots of my friends who are women own consoles and yes, all of them own consoles to play games first are foremost. And you can also see the same in this very thread: a few women posted here saying they own more than one console to play games.

Statistics like these are always full of shit in my opinion, people are not clones of each other and almost always the statistics are biased in nature, get the results that prove your points or ignore them.

I did before I posted...

I see ppl saying they don't believe it... I see myself not knowing shit about statistics. Im not seeing anyone losing their cool. Maybe I missed some posts

In this thread, statistics are not real. Welcome to NeoGAF: Believe.

That's a real surprise. Definitely turns a lot of my assumptions on their head.

Seems kind of amazing that most of the AAA bracket is completely skewed towards men. This data suggests there's a huge untapped market for the right kind of game.

Wow, someone else ignoring the science of statistics even when people point out the 3% error rate that a poll of 900 random people gives for a population the size of the US. OK, then how about the link I posted from the ESA where they polled 4000 households and found that 44% of gamers are female?

Wulfram

This sort of survey does have a margin for error, there could easily be a larger advantage for women or it could actually be a tie.

http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

ESA's latest survey has "game players" being 56% men (up 4% from last year), and that 59% of the "most frequent game purchasers" are men. Last year found rather lower numbers for men (52% and 50%)

So this number seems believable, though obviously its not the entire story.

marrec

Banned
Based on anecdotal evidence, online and off, I don't believe it. Maybe I don't know the right people or hang out at the right online communities. But I'm not seeing it.

I think that you can combine this with statistics on verbal abuse in online video game communities to come to an understanding as to WHY you don't perceive the majority presence of women.

Of course, that's extremely presumptuous.

Great for the USA, but this isn't definitely inst the case in my country. And I wouldn't be surprised if most of those are Handheld consoles (DS/3DS)... or Wii's. If the study istalking about PlayStations and XBoxes Ill be genuinely shocked.

Edit: Yup its consoles, dafaq

While I'm admittedly surprised by the result, I don't understand why anyone would continue to rely on their preconceived notions after being presented with emperical evidence suggesting otherwise... Seriously, why?

Just reading through the data, interesting stuff - one odd thing though - why is sega genesis classed as a portable gaming device? Are they counting those weird licensed emulator handhelds that have cropped up recently?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Marry me.

lol You seriously thought that was a clever thing to post?

The funny thing is, the main heading for this section in the original article is "Game console ownership is where it was in 2010" so those throwing sour grapes are being upset about statistics that have been holding true for five years now.

Alo0oy

Banned

You can open the Live from Playstation app & see that half the streamers are women, shouldn't that be stronger than your anecdotal evidence?

Or maybe sexists on GAF come out of the woodwork when their covert sexism can fly under the radar as "healthy skepticism."
This is exactly it. While the dumb ones come out typically in Anita threads, the "smarter" ones come out in threads like these.

It's easy to point them out when, not understanding how statistics work, they don't ask how a sample size of 900 can represent 450 Million, instead they outright claim it can't be true.

Shahed

Great for the USA, but this isn't definitely inst the case in my country. And I wouldn't be surprised if most of those are Handheld consoles (DS/3DS)... or Wii's. If the study istalking about PlayStations and XBoxes Ill be genuinely shocked.
I suggest you read the OP again and then read what you posted.

Alo0oy

Banned

The study specifically states Playstation & Xbox.

Coins

Banned
I dont care either way. However, it would be nice to include what they consider a game system and whether they own it or actually play it?

On my old mail route, I had a lot of low income housing. Lots of them were single mothers with kids who gamed. In that situation, who owns the console?

Markoman

After going through the posts of page 1 and 2 I already knew things won't go well for icecold.

wellhereitis.gif

On topic: why not? There are many many female gamers out there. Maybe Sony/MS should consider a pink version of their consoles *Girls, please don't kill me*

Zaph

900 people can absolutely give you reasonable statistical accuracy for the entire country, if the methodology is correct. Obviously if you knock on 900 doors in a single affluent neighbourhood, it wouldn't be accurate for the entire USA, but that's down to poor methodology, not sample size. This is Pew Research, so I'd guess they got their methodology correct.

This is not a surprising statistic at all if you remember what the question is - do you own a games console, not do you use one yourself regularly.

legacyzero

Banned
lol You seriously thought that was a clever thing to post?
I mean, its one of the reasons I married MY wife. She loves to game, and she doesn't give a shit that I do it to, as long as she gets a cut of that time.

But on a message board? Yeah, you might not lead with that lol

You can open the Live from Playstation app & see that half the streamers are women, shouldn't that be stronger than your anecdotal evidence?
Sure, it could be. I'm not denying anything, and I don't use that so I can't speak for it. Based on what I do use and who I know, I'm simply surprised by these stats, that's all.

wheeplash

Man, I wish we had this statistic in my country! It's so fucking hard to find a girl with any gaming console, at most they have the old Wii their parents bought.

I'm jelly US, I'm jelly.

Phu

Banned
Now if only the type of software produced catered to a more even demographic instead of young male adults. Not that I wqnt them to move from 'dudebro' to chick flix Twilight stuff. But something more balanced that caters to both would be nice. There's a reason I find RPG's to be my favourite genre and the only games I recommend to my sisters. Don't have a source but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that games like Final Fantasy have a more balanced gender split than your typical AAA game.

I don't think this study [specifically] would necessarily imply that games would start to shift to a broader demographic since this seems to just cover hardware ownership. I think we would need someone to look at software sales or how much individuals spend on games

marrec

Banned
Based off my experiences I find it hard to believe but *shrug* im not fighting any of you here or statistics lol.

Right, which is perfectly acceptable. This poll isn't going to change your experiences so you'll likely still considering gaming as a boys club, but we have empirical evidence to show that women are the majority console owners and own as many PCs as men.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The study specifically states Playstation & Xbox.

Technically the original Pew article says:

Game console ownership has remained consistent since Pew Research last polled about the device in 2010. Today, 40% of adults report having a game console such as an Xbox or PlayStation. Those whose households earn less than $30,000 annually are less likely to own a game console – a third have one, compared with 54% of adults from households earning $75,000 or more a year.

They only list them as examples of a games console. Looks like the article in the OP misread that.

On my old mail route, I had a lot of low income housing. Lots of them were single mothers with kids who gamed. In that situation, who owns the console?

I wish I had the opportunity to read where this thread was going like you did before I posted so I wouldn't have posted something like that. Should have known anything with gender is a no post.

Future quote:
YOU ARE SEXIST FOR SUGGESTING WOMEN DON'T PLAY GAMES!!!!

Numb

I mean, its one of the reasons I married MY wife. She loves to game, and she doesn't give a shit that I do it to, as long as she gets a cut of that time.

But on a message board? Yeah, you might not lead with that lol

Even as a self aware cliche joke it was just dumb.
Dumb.

Exactly how were the questions worded on said survey though?

I own numerous consoles myself but depending on the questions wording my wife could say she has consoles in her household and uses them.

Skeyser

900 people is more than enough for an a accurate statistical sampling if the sampling was done correctly.

What is wrong with people in here? Just because it doesn't match up with your personal preferences, it doesn't mean the information is invalid.

Personal preference? I wish it was true, just doesn't seem possible.

g11

You mean like The Hunger Games, that dystopian sci-fi action series of books and movies? Or The 100, that dystopian sci-fi action TV series? I guess you're right, there've never been video games like that before.

Yes, that's exactly what I said, wasn't it? If you want to tell me the majority of the console market is female gamers in an industry where Call of Duty has been the best selling game for every year since 2009 except when GTA5 outsold it, I must say I am skeptical.

It does not seem that unreasonable if you include Nintendo into the mix. Plenty of women I know own Nintendo devices. Some own a PS4, but not much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I have a math degree and I chose a focus in statistics, so, yes--accurate for the whole of the USA.

All it would have taken was for you to read the thread before reacting.

Technically the original Pew article says:

They only list them as examples of a games console. Looks like the article in the OP misread that.

I'd be curious to know if they accept any generation (the errant genesis/handheld mention would seem to make this more likely). Like if you have a snes you qualify. That 40% overall ownership seems pretty high for current/last gen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's either the mom thing or a grandma was the one that bought the Wii all those years ago. The vast majority of console gamers are online these days and, at least in my experience, the vast majority of online console gamers have (and are) wieners.

So are all Fathers and Grandpas dead or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom