• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacildo

Kinda strange this no-camera rumor. Wasnt Pokemon Go supposed to be on Nx?

To be fair i really dont care about cameras on videogames

Just saw Emily's wording (haven't had much time to catch up the past 2 days). Sounds like the camera/mic might be in the dock? Or one for each controller...but that's crazy talk and maybe counts as part of the "portable device" regardless.

Or there might be a sensor bar. I'm all for optical IR sensors, so bring it!

Yeah, they're listening to the hardcore Gamecube lovers because they want their c-stick back in the rightful position.

And I love them for it! This is justice. This is where it belongs.

I don't care as long as it feels good. Gamecube controller has a great feel and so does the Wii U Pro. 3DS XL, otoh, feels awful, at least to me. Alot depends on button spacing and the shape of these snap-on controllers.

Listening to the LetsPlayVideoGames podcast, and it has some more info about the NX.

Apparently, when it comes to the Social button, their source mentioned facebook and twitter, but Twitch wasn't mentioned at all. Take that as you will. Also, it was LPVG's source that drew the wobbly NX image, not the LPVG staff. They're kinda annoyed that people thought they drew it lol.

Interesting the no Twitch part.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I came to like the two sticks on top and I used to be completely for asymmetrical sticks, mostly because before symmetrical sticks meant being at the bottom.

Let's hope the conflicting reports are because the positions are optional.

image.php

Yes, the speculation of the NX device interacting with other mobile devices pops up at one time or another in NX discussion threads. The use you mention would cover mostly the social aspect of using the camera at least.

Cool, thanks for update. I'm thinking that the dock is not really a great place to put a camera either unless the NX while docked is a really unobtrusive setup. Typically, one needs a camera to be fairly versatile and maneuverable in order to get the best image.

It was supposed to be Nintendos mobile games would come to NX. Pokemon Go isn't their game.

Even if we did consider it a Nintendo game it's hard for me to imagine what the point would be. Cellular GPS tracking isn't necessarily a requisite for Go, but not having it makes the game largely pointless in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It was supposed to be Nintendos mobile games would come to NX. Pokemon Go isn't their game.

Nintendo's mobile games are, Pokemon GO or not, and the only one to market at current... uses a camera. >.>

What makes you say that (the part about mobile games being on NX)? All I remember is WSJ saying they would be "compatible" with NX, which could just mean that they interact in some way via My Nintendo. The wording is unfortunately vague. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up on NX (I mean, especially if it has a 6.2" 720p screen with multitouch), but I don't think we've heard anything to say they will be or would be on the system.

ASIS

It depends on what you 're expecting. Them reducing the clock speed in handheld mode on a lower resolution (720p screen), to conserve battery, and then clocking the GPU to its "normal" frequency when docked to the TV, would very much be a logical thing to do. My first laptop did this; back in 2001. It was called speedstep. My phone does this too.

That's because your phone and laptop are charged, and I can understand if people were speculating over the NX speedsteping (am I using the term correctly?) while charged. But no, the speculation was the console will receive extra power from the dock itself. That part sounded and still sounds like wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong cause it would be awesome if true.

I'm fairly certain this isn't the case. I've mentioned it a couple times but my guess is that the post that lead many people to believe this actually was in reference to something else.
The NX being compatible with Nintendo's mobile games doesn't make much sense. You could port those to Wii U no problem but it wouldn't be a feature to stress.
Mobile games being compatible with NX likely means that MyNintendo data from those games should be usable on NX apps/games. Example: Miitomo clothes transfers over to MiiMaker; Animal Crossing Mobile's Bells and furniture gained transfer over to AC NX.
Mobile games require constant internet connectivity to properly function, I don't see them porting all of their mobile software over

ggx2ac

Just saw Emily's wording (haven't had much time to catch up the past 2 days). Sounds like the camera/mic might be in the dock? Or one for each controller...but that's crazy talk and maybe counts as part of the "portable device" regardless.

Or there might be a sensor bar. I'm all for optical IR sensors, so bring it!

I thought about that too after I had thought that they are using a thin bezel to put speakers in the back along with a camera.

However, since it still says no camera built into the device...

Either it's getting added later as I said in the back to keep a thin bezel and stick a camera and mic into the detachable controllers.

Or they would have to be in the dock although I wouldn't find it practical because the closest thing in my hands would be the NX not the dock when in use.

I'm still trying to think if there's some other kind of idea here. I should check those IR camera patents.

georly

If the camera/mic aren't built into the nx portable device they may as well not exist at all, tbh. No point. No one is gonna pay extra for them. No one is gonna use them on the dock.

Strange.

I don't get the points against the camera? Isn't a camera a social feature? Don't casuals like using their cameras for pictures and Snap Chat or other apps? Its not like it cost a lot of money like some have said. Just throw it in there to have another enticing feature.

If they want to appeal to them then it would make sense to put it in. It should look better than the 3DS camera lol.

It would certainly be interesting if one camera was built into each controller portion... two different camera angles could lead to some interesting applications.

Whatever the case, I expect a camera somewhere on the portable device (screen portion or controls) for the final product. It would be very strange if it never makes it.

ggx2ac

If the camera/mic aren't built into the nx portable device they may as well not exist at all, tbh. No point. No one is gonna pay extra for them. No one is gonna use them on the dock.

Strange.

Or maybe, they will copy the PS4 PlayStation Camera and put in a sensor bar as Fourth Storm said along with a camera and microphone in it for use to stream yourself in Twitch.

(This is from having seen that pic where Nintendo employees actually look at their competitors consoles now where a ps4 and Xbox one was spotted.)

Dystify

I'm fairly certain this isn't the case. I've mentioned it a couple times but my guess is that the post that lead many people to believe this actually was in reference to something else.
The NX being compatible with Nintendo's mobile games doesn't make much sense. You could port those to Wii U no problem but it wouldn't be a feature to stress.
Mobile games being compatible with NX likely means that MyNintendo data from those games should be usable on NX apps/games. Example: Miitomo clothes transfers over to MiiMaker; Animal Crossing Mobile's Bells and furniture gained transfer over to AC NX.
Mobile games require constant internet connectivity to properly function, I don't see them porting all of their mobile software over

Yeah the quote did say:

A person familiar with the matter said NX would be a handheld-console hybrid that would be compatible with its own smartphone games.

It's unclear whether they mean Nintendo smartphone games will be on NX or communicate with NX in some way or maybe simply have the ability to gain MyNintendo points on smartphone that can be used on/for NX games.

I don't get the points against the camera? Isn't a camera a social feature? Don't casuals like using their cameras for pictures and Snap Chat or other apps? Its not like it cost a lot of money like some have said. Just throw it in there to have another enticing feature.

If they want to appeal to them then it would make sense to put it in. It should look better than the 3DS camera lol.
Cameras to me are useless on Nintendo products but I think their omission comes across as cheap more than many just NEED them.

georly

Or maybe, they will copy the PS4 PlayStation Camera and put in a sensor bar as Fourth Storm said along with a camera and microphone in it for use to stream yourself in Twitch.

(This is from having seen that pic where Nintendo employees actually look at their competitors consoles now where a ps4 and Xbox one was spotted.)

Oh maybe.

I'm mainly referring to it in terms of being a handheld. I know tons of kids who used the camera like crazy on their DS/3DS. Probably not a big deal anymore thanks to smartphones.

I'm strictly talking about putting a camera on the handheld to be used for camera purposes, like the 3DS. No one is going to pay extra for one.

Now if the camera is a part of some other piece (controller) or if it's used in some other way (as you say, intended for streamers), then sure, why not.

Yeah the quote did say:

It's unclear whether they mean Nintendo smartphone games will be on NX or communicate with NX in some way or maybe simply have the ability to gain MyNintendo points on smartphone that can be used on/for NX games.

Yeah, compatible is super ambiguous.

In game console terms it's usually referred to being able to 'run' the games (as in backwards compatible), but it could be used to mean 'interface with' as well.

I don't think anyone is going to snap chat on their NX. :p
Not sure why they wouldn't include a camera or what she means here, though.
I imagine it's not too expensive to have at least one.

georly

I don't think anyone is going to snap chat on their NX. :p
Not sure why they wouldn't include a camera or what she means here, though.
I imagine it's not too expensive to have at least one.

Considering the resolution on nintendo system cameras maybe it's a blessing :)

ggx2ac

Yeah the quote did say:

I don't want that quote killing my prediction that Nintendo would get major third party support from mobile game developers.

I know they had Puzzle and Dragons and, Monster Strike on the 3DS and a couple of others changed for the 3DS but they weren't straight ports and, it took until the New 3DS to get Unity engine on it.

That's why when I see that this NX has detachable controls, it's easy to see NX being better suited for mobile games seeing as it has a Multi-touch Capacitive Touch Screen and Unity and Unreal Engine 4 Support. It makes it sound like it would be very easy to do straight ports of mobile games instead of having to adjust for a system like the 3DS which had 2 screens and no Multi-touch.

ggx2ac

Do you think the detachable controllers would be able to work to play Nintendo games on your phone?

??? No. Even if there was that wireless streaming tech, it needs the components for that inside a competitor's phone.

(This is assuming you are streaming from the NX to a random phone.)

??? No. Even if there was that wireless streaming tech, it needs the components for that inside a competitor's phone.

(This is assuming you are streaming from the NX to a random phone.)
What? I was saying to play their Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing game coming to mobile phones...

And no I'm not saying you NEED these controllers to play those games, but there would be an option to use the controllers to play this next Fire Emblem game coming to mobile. I just don't know if it would work with Bluetooth or there's more tech involved.

Speely

Banned
I really can't wait to see what form the NX takes after all these rumors and mockups.

The Nintendo Adventure System, or NAS, has a nice ring to it. The World Is Yours.

ggx2ac

What? I was saying to play their Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing game coming to mobile phones...

And no I'm not saying you NEED these controllers to play those games, but there would be an option to use the controllers to play this next Fire Emblem game coming to mobile. I just don't know if it would work with Bluetooth or there's more tech involved.

Maybe, it means they would have to come up with extra control schemes for games that were built for smartphones. I don't know if they would do that.

It's much simpler just removing the detachable controllers to use the touchscreen to play mobile games.

LordOfChaos

Yep I Know. But ...the sudden 3ds love at this stage is hard to explain.

And after posting a bunch of reasons for the sudden 3ds love, I suddenly typed "NX is going to be expensive" and the light bulb went off in my head. That's it. That's why.

That makes sense.

But I'd love to hear a better explanation for the sudden 3ds love. I had a bunch myself. Take advantage of the 60 million 3ds install base. NX will take awhile to ramp up. Nintendo's combined development can do both. They aren't making Wii U software and some of the 3ds love is just Wii U ports/spinoffs which don't require a ton of resources. 3ds carts can play in the NX. But none of those caused a light bulb to go off in my head.

The crossover risk alone explains it really, I think it was either Iwata or Miyamoto that described the period between consoles as the riskiest part and their desire to smooth that out.

I'm sure they'll go with the "third pillar" crap until the NX has enough install base to ditch older hardware.

That would be expensive as hell for a Nintendo portable

I would see $250 (which is more than what you have to pay for a Xbox One) as the upper end of the spectrum and I think I'm being very generous.

I'm hoping I was overly underoptimistic, lol.

it partly depends what it is though. Just a handheld with HDMI out as a 3DS replacement, then the lower end. Their single, unified development target for every bit of Nintendo production that used to be split in two? A bit higher.

Maybe I'll revise to 250 as an upper end, but I don't want to hope for too much and be let down again by Nintendo.

ksamedi

I wonder if the NX will run a modified version of android on it. It's basically a tablet with plug in controllers and a tv out. Would be nice to also be able to use it as an android tablet with all the apps. Devs could
Update their existing games with button controls as well and will be fully compatible with Nintendo mobile games.

Everything we know about Nintendo NX (with sources)

Everything here is a rumor, unless stated otherwise.

If you think I missed anything or made a mistake let me know here or on Twitter. I will keep updating this list until NX is officially announced.
Source links can be found below. New information will be highlighted.

Hardware

• Nintendo NX will be a portable, handheld console (Eurogamer article #1, backed by Kotaku and WSJ article #1 among others)
  • A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect NX with your TV (Eurogamer article #1)
  • Six inch (6.2 inch?) multi-touch screen (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • The touchscreen has 720p resolution (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • The device is around 14 – 15 mm in thickness (Emily Rogers article #2)

Controls
  • NX has detachable controllers (Eurogamer article #1, among others)
  • Features motion controls and next-gen vibration technology (LPVG article #1)
  • The d-pad is split (LPVG article #2, Emily Rogers article #2)
  • It has a Share / Social button (LPVG article #2, Emily Rogers article #2)
  • There are at least two shoulder buttons. No info about Triggers yet. (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • The right analogue stick will be below the face buttons. (Emily Rogers article #2)

Features
  • Custom Nvidia GPU chip based on Tegra (Semiaccurate article #1, Eurogamer article #2)
  • Nintendo NX to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture (@DirectFeedGames on Twitter aka. NateDrake on NeoGAF. Tweet Link)
  • NX CPU is more powerful than the CPUs of PS4/XBO. (LCgeek on NeoGAF Comment Link)
  • Nintendo NX will use cartridges (Eurogamer article #1, WSJ article #2)
  • 32GB of built-in internal storage (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • SD card support (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0 (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • The dock has two 2.0 USB ports and one 3.0 USB port (Emily Rogers article #3)

• Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • Camera and microphone are not built into the NX portable device. Note: This does not mean there isn't a camera/mic somewhere. We don't know yet. (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • Cooling is still a little noisy (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • Battery Life doesn’t sound to be great (Emily Rogers article #3)

Other features
  • Nintendo NX is Region Free (No region lock) (LPVG article #3. Emily Rogers article #3)
  • Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine (Emily Rogers article #2)

Software

• NX is compatible with Nintendo's smartphone games (WSJ article #1)
  • NX is powerful enough to get ports from PS4/XBO. (Osirisblack on NeoGAF) - Need source link

Confirmed Games
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Nintendo (Source)
  • Just Dance 2017 - Ubisoft (Source)
  • Holiday 2017 Sonic Game - Sega (Source trailer)
  • Dragon Quest X - Square Enix (Source)
  • Dragon Quest XI - Square Enix (Source)
  • (Pikmin 4 - Nintendo (Source 1 | Source 2) Note: While the game is officially confirmed it is currently unclear if it will launch on NX, but we can safely assume it will be on NX.)

Indie Games
  • Tank it! - Bplus (Source)

Rumored Games
  • A Mario game within 6 months of launch (Source)
  • A Pokémon game by Gamefreak within 6 months of launch (Source)
  • A Super Smash Bros. game for NX launch (Source)
  • Splatoon - Need source link
  • Super Mario Maker - Need source link
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2 - Ubisoft (Source)

• Bandai Namco is working on several NX titles. (Source)
  • Retro Studios is not working on Metroid, DKC or Diddy Kong Racing, sounds like a new IP (Source)

Source Links

Great post!!

One thing, though:

• Cooling is still a little noisy

Is Emily referring to the dev kit (with X1s) or is she talking about the final hardware that should be using Pascal chips?

doop_

Banned
I wonder if the NX will run a modified version of android on it. It's basically a tablet with plug in controllers and a tv out. Would be nice to also be able to use it as an android tablet with all the apps. Devs could
Update their existing games with button controls as well and will be fully compatible with Nintendo mobile games.
It's not.

Speely

Banned
i like that, speely. original & it flows nicely.

Thanks! I would love to see something playful like this instead of something either left-field goofy or "modern cool." Would be nice to have a Nintendo console with the same kind of naming conventions used back when their consoles used cartridges :)

I can't remember which rumor it was, but someone alluded to the NX using a custom OS. Whether that means "Android-based but heavily modified" or "purely custom" is anyone's guess. If I were a betting person, I would put my money on 100% custom.

ozfunghi

That's because your phone and laptop are charged, and I can understand if people were speculating over the NX speedsteping (am I using the term correctly?) while charged. But no, the speculation was the console will receive extra power from the dock itself. That part sounded and still sounds like wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong cause it would be awesome if true.

It comes down to the same thing. Let's say the pascal chip can reach 700gf when running full speed. But it would burn through the battery in less than an hour, so Nintendo has it running at much lower speeds when portable, and it only reaches 250gf like that. Docking it, negates battery concern so it can run at full speed.

How is this different from a more conservative GPU being inside the device, reaching 250gf, and a second GPU, the secret sauce, is inside the dock, adding up to a total of 700gf. What's the difference for you as a gamer?

ksamedi

Thanks! I would love to see something playful like this instead of something either left-field goofy or "modern cool." Would be nice to have a Nintendo console with the same kind of naming conventions used back when their consoles used cartridges :)

I can't remember which rumor it was, but someone alluded to the NX using a custom OS. Whether that means "Android-based but heavily modified" or "purely custom" is anyone's guess. If I were a betting person, I would put my money on 100% custom.

Yeah I remember something like that as well. I think it would make sense as it would be very flexible gaming device which functions as a tablet as well. They could release different versions of it which reminds me of iwatas quotes about a "family of devices". Yearly upgrades would make a lot of sense.

Neoxon

To be fair i really dont care about cameras on videogames
Nintendo's mobile games supposedly are, & Pokémon GO isn't part of the Nintendo-DeNA mobile game partnership.

Amazingly enough the device doesn't even have nfc capabilities
It likely will. Can't see NX not having amiibo support
Nintendo's mobile games supposedly are, & Pokémon GO isn't part of the Nintendo-DeNA mobile game partnership.
Here's my take on that mobile bit:

georly

Really dont make sense... Kimishimi said amiibo will be used with NX. Let alone botw have amiibo functionality.

It's not like 'supports amiibo' is a visible feature someone could tell just by LOOKING at the darn thing.

It will 100% have amiibo support since it 100% plays breath of the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom