• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only things that get me are

1 ) I don't think the traditional face buttons are going anywhere, since it's part of the "There's No Play Like It" slogan logo

2 ) There's more than likely going to be triggers

Otherwise that looks pretty slick.
I agree

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NSJfqiaZvss/maxresdefault.jpg

I always thought that looked like a controller too. I would be surprised if the NX had more red on it too.

The controller is on the word "play". Nintendo Play? Maybe not.

optimiss

This works as a good compendium of the recent rumors and is actually nice looking. There's some design issues one can quickly notice. Would be nice if you could explain further in case im missing something obvious:

The ineteresting thing to see here revolves around the shoulder button implementation.
  • 1. The Unqiue pinch activated L & R. From it's nomenclature and looking at the drawing, it means the user needs to use the index and thumb to operate them. This takes away most of the functionality of shoulder or trigger buttons, that is working independently and at the same time with thumb operated buttons.
  • 2. Although one fully undertands that the shoulders are setup like that due to limited space and for the sake of NES style for multiplayer setup, the way the R & L are operated in the mock up it's the least efficient and dextrous way the index or middle finger can move in the positions the user would operate the controller. So to compensate, R & L would need to offer minimal resistance. Which is ok, but i think you could only get away with that when operating the controller in the vertical position (Wii Remote style). Moving on in this sense...
  • 3. The shoulders are both in the top and botton to accomodate R and L use when the controllers are detached and used in the NES style mode. It sounds good in theory. However, when holding the controllers in that style your middle and index fingers go away from the corners. So to actually push the buttons the user needs to reposition both the thumb and middle finger.

You make some excellent points. I was thinking of the buttons as pivoting along the long seam of each button. So when you hit it it is more of a rocking motion as the outer edge collapses. So sort of like a really wide 3DS L & R button.

Now, I'm not sure if that will actually fix the issues you mention. But it seems like it would require less force to push allowing for a greater range of triggering motions. What do you think?

Edit: I don't think they would work well in a lot of instances. You'd have to be very careful when designing control schemes for it. It could be done but it's probably not worth the hassle.

Have we stop to think maybe they are detachable because there are several control layouts and grips that you can mix match ? Maybe they want you to decide which is best for you and have a basic set of buttons on the default setup.

Like there is a possibility for a joystick or possibly attachments for paddle shifting for racing simulations ?

AzaK

Have we stop to think maybe they are detachable because there are several control layouts and grips that you can mix match ? Maybe they want you to decide which is best for you and have a basic set of buttons on the default setup.

Like there is a possibility for a joystick or possibly attachments for paddle shifting for racing simulations ?
Maybe they'll do that but the simplest reason is probably the one. That is, you can use it as a touch device. That's a massive market that Nintendo wants to be part of. It they don't want to make their franchises worthless by putting them on a phone. This could be a way to bridge that gap

This works as a good compendium of the recent rumors and is actually nice looking. There's some design issues one can quickly notice. Would be nice if you could explain further in case im missing something obvious:

The ineteresting thing to see here revolves around the shoulder button implementation.
  • 1. The Unqiue pinch activated L & R. From it's nomenclature and looking at the drawing, it means the user needs to use the index and thumb to operate them. This takes away most of the functionality of shoulder or trigger buttons, wich is working independently and at the same time with thumb operated face buttons.
  • 2. Although one fully undertands that the shoulders are setup like that due to limited space and for the sake of NES style for multiplayer setup, the way the R & L are operated in the mock up it's the least efficient and dextrous way the index or middle finger can move in the positions the user would operate the controller. So to compensate, R & L would need to offer minimal resistance. Which is ok, but i think you could only get away with that when operating the controller in the vertical position (Wii Remote style). Moving on in this sense...
  • 3. The shoulders are both in the top and botton to accomodate R and L use when the controllers are detached and used in the NES style mode. It sounds good in theory. However, when holding the controllers in that style the middle and index fingers go away from the corners. So to actually push the pinch R & L, the user needs to reposition both the thumb and middle finger.
DISCALIMER: im not ruling out the solution, what i mean here is that there are some potential concerns i notice that need to be taken in consideration.

You are right, but i think there's more to it that you are not considering.

It would work for very limited type of games. The reason 2 player mode works in Wii U Party is because those are top down games with a fixed perspective that can be displayed in portrait mode. For those the setup with the offset sticks is perfect as you point out.

But once you try more typical games in Landscape mode, with scrolling scenes or 3D dynamic cameras the setup becomes limiting. The way to solve this would be to split the screen in the middle.

However, splitting the screen creates a new downside. The screen area for each player becomes half. Considering that the confortable way to operate the game with the above setup is around the waist level (a bit up maybe) or using a table, and you could run with potential visibility problems due to screen operating distance.

What do you think?

Looks good except the analogs are too far from the buttons/d-pad to reach comfortably. Look how much closer they are on the Wii U Gamepad. Besides that, great mockup. Looks sleek.

Gleethor

I thought I'd throw my hat into the NX design ring.

The unique features are:
  • Textured controllers for better grip
  • Unique pinch-activated L & R buttons
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
  • Launches in four colors: strawberry, lemon, lime, and blue raspberry
CdZUNC2.png
Did you....did you design the NX?

You make some excellent points. I was thinking of the buttons as pivoting along the long seam of each button. So when you hit it it is more of a rocking motion as the outer edge collapses. So sort of like a really wide 3DS L & R button.
Exactly right. That's why i said you could get away with it when operating the detachable halfs vertically.

What i have trouble visualizing is when you hold the controllers NES style. In this case is not only the somewhat "less natural" actual inwards motion of the index to register and input, but the postion of the fingers themsleves. The user index and middle fingers get away from the corners when gripping the controller in the NES style.

i think the NES style is what over complicates or rests functioanlity to these mock ups. In this sense, the other thing i always wonder is how practical would be for the user to operate a thumbstick and the face buttons that would be so close to each other when in NES style.

im sleepy right now, so forgive me if im not sounding logical and not fully understanding here.

Hopefuly we can continue with this exchange later on.

optimiss

Have we seen any stories about Nintendo working with Corning? They make Gorilla Glass. That would pretty much verify the capacitive screen.

rtrbad

Banned
Wait

Have you seen the NX? ;)

Aesthetically that looks great, but the left dpad being that low............ehh not feeling it.

It makes sense if you think about the detachable controllers being interchangeable. As in, it doesn't matter which side you attach them to because they're the same regardless, maybe the face buttons change color or something as seen on the mock up.

I made another mockup... a little more serious than the last one.

And I'm going against the rumours somewhat; i'm assuming they've mixed up some details about where the controllers attach. That kinda makes sense, given how uncertain the rumours have been about where the analogs are...

LYP2pdM.jpg

That said, i have no clue how these will attach without giant clips sticking out everywhere. Maybe they can attach from any of their sides somehow, to account for the conflicting reports about where the analogs are? Also not sure if the control modules could have triggers themselves (hidden on the back) and be usable/comfortable in both orientations while detached.

Edit... a means to attach, PSP Go style:

vMq0Ocq.jpg

Maybe it's close? It does kind of resemble their "There's no play like it" stuff...

Symtendo

I found my Gameboy Micro yesterday. Are we thinking that that may be the size of the detachable controllers? If so I could live with that. Not ideal for long periods of play but definitely workable!

Mariolee

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

I know it's been quoted multiple times before but holy moly this looks amazing.

Pittree

So based on the drawing from the leak and other reports, prototype looked somewhat like this...

I have to admit It doesn't look great, and I prefer some other ideas thrown here on gaf and even some of my first mockups

So based on the drawing from the leak and other reports, prototype looked somewhat like this...

I have to admit It doesn't look great, and I prefer some other ideas thrown here on gaf and even some of my first mockups
The right analog is under the buttons and I think my big problem with most of these mockups, other than the controllers, is the use of the white color. I don't like that color for sure. The black color is so much better.

Pittree

The right analog is under the buttons and I think my big problem with most of these mockups, other than the controllers, is the use of the white color. I don't like that color for sure. The black color is so much better.

Damn it! I forgot about the stick placement....ty. Ill try toupdate it soon. And I prefer black too. But it takes some more work, so this time I decided to go all white.

TLZ

Banned
Why are we assuming the handheld will look like a PSP? What if it looks like a 2ds? Now imagine that and imagine the controllers detach. These would make more sense as they would be longer, almost Wiimote size compared to the tiny ones we see in all the mock ups which are extremely uncomfortable. Detach and the screen becomes a smart device.

MCN

Banned

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png

Where can I preorder this?

Pittree

Ok. I updated the image with the correct analog placement. Thank you for your observation. Strangely enough I like it this way a little more, but I still don't like it that much as some of the concepts from gaffers. Anyway the first devkits for Wii U were horrible. I can only imagine retail units will look much better

Mory Dunz

Ok. I updated the image with the correct analog placement. Thank you for your observation. Strangely enough I like it this way a little more, but I still don't like it that much as some of the concepts from gaffers. Anyway the first devkits for Wii U were horrible. I can only imagine retail units will look much better

hm, kinda like this.

I mean, I would be pro controller 100% of the time but still

Pittree

Why are we assuming the handheld will look like a PSP? What if it looks like a 2ds? Now imagine that and imagine the controllers detach. These would make more sense as they would be longer, almost Wiimote size compared to the tiny ones we see in all the mock ups which are extremely uncomfortable. Detach and the screen becomes a smart device.

Well the drawing form the leak from eurogamer and the most recent one placed them at the side of the device in landscape mode. The concept of having the controllers attached on portrait mode solves some issues about size, but bring others as having to play games on portrait mode or forcing the player to dettach the controllers.

cXiQZU8.jpg

Paul Gale

https://youtu.be/yXn8VuC7QIU

Nintendo Infinite (NX in the logo) offers up an infinite amount of controller solutions, faceplates, etc. What do you think of the video? Also, not mentioned in the video, but an additional thought, is that when this logo is turned on its side, it becomes an hourglass. Imagine that as a loading icon, with pixels dropping. I think it's cool/possible.

ggx2ac

Looks very good, but how the fuck are you supposed to hold this bad boy? The right dpad looks very uncomfortable to play with...

I'm getting the feeling they'll be placed more closely together at the top so then you don't have awkwardness holding it.

That's why I've wondered these last few days if there was just a way to have a circle pad with buttons surrounding it.

If anyone can draw it, I am imagining something like the GameCube controller buttons except, the A button is a circle pad and the X, Y bean shaped buttons surround it so that there should be 4 of them up, down, left and to the right of the circle pad.

The only downside to this is pressing a combination of buttons in something like a fighting game but that was already a problem with the GameCube controller.

wrowa

People still seem to miss the point of the detachable controllers. They are supposed to be small Wiimotes, you aren't supposed to hold them horizontally but vertically.

ggx2ac

CraUVmFW8AQlaYU.jpg

This is the monstrosity I am talking about. Yes, it's a very rough job.

The idea is to have the buttons large and spaced around a circle pad or an analog stick if it applies so then that way, we don't have to worry about cramped hands having to use whatever is on the bottom part of the detachable controller because of the lack of a grip.

As mentioned before, this was the same problem with the GameCube controller, it's terrible for fighting games. I can't go and press the B and X button at the same time however, this was the exact same problem with the GameCube controller because of the A button in the way.

Edit: I can see though that this doesn't help solve the problem of what to do with the D-pad. I was just looking for something ergonomic to do with the face buttons and circle pad by arranging it in a way to have it in one place.

Edit 2: I just noticed the upside down Y button looks like Lambda.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Love these mockups, but has anyone considered depth? I think with the mixup over 25mm or not, that the controllers may be around that thickness for comfortable holding. But the tablet wouldn't be anywhere near that - much too thick. So there is a possibility the controller parts stick out behind the tablet

AzaK

Man, if the dock doesn't cause an increase in power it's going to be a killer of sales. Who will want to do 720p gaming and sub XBO levels by next March?

If anyone can draw it, I am imagining something like the GameCube controller buttons except, the A button is a circle pad and the X, Y bean shaped buttons surround it so that there should be 4 of them up, down, left and to the right of the circle pad.

CraUVmFW8AQlaYU.jpg

This is the monstrosity I am talking about. Yes, it's a very rough job.

I did this before i saw yours and misunderstood what you wanted. Now i'm tired and can't be bothered :)

IqgX2fc.jpg

ggx2ac

I did this before i saw yours and misunderstood what you wanted. Now i'm tired and can't be bothered :)

IqgX2fc.jpg

Sorry about that, but yours looks good too.

My usual preference is having one button below the circle pad because you can press it with the lower part of your thumb without having to move your thumb to another button.

Matbtz

CdZUNC2.png

I'll also say it : that looks terrific ! Take my money !

The dpad and right stick seems a bit too low for it to being confortable but I know the problem is not so simple with the 2 different play style.

TLZ

Banned
People still seem to miss the point of the detachable controllers. They are supposed to be small Wiimotes, you aren't supposed to hold them horizontally but vertically.

But based on what though?

Euro gamer gave us a mock-up from what they heard but they haven't seen it.

Hermii

I fear some of these mockups are setting my expectations to high. That it's going to be revealed that it looks like a monstrosity.

Dystify

So many mock-ups redesign the ABXY buttons, but imo Nintendo won't abandon the design they use currently. They didn't use it on Gamecube so there is a small chance it'll be different though.

If the interchangeable controller part rumor (from the patent) is true then there could be traditional and new button forms. This might be cool but maybe feels a little too gimmicky. I'd rather they stick with one controller. But we'll see how it works out, maybe I'm wrong.

Peterc

When looking for latest news, all sites are mention the old school 90' cartridges are back.

Nx is a handheld like 3ds, but can connected on tv. So that part of cartridges isn't something new. But still people are blown away by it

Painguy

The unique features are:
  • Kickstand
  • Swappable faceplates
CdZUNC2.png
Holy Shit. This looks great.

eZBVVP2.jpg

fixed.

Was there something about a patent for a projection or mirrors that involve the controller? maybe the colours on the buttons can change somehow? This way you attach the controller in any orientation though the holes would have a spring door so as the light or projection does not escape depending on how it is orientated. This way you can have ABXY or c buttons or whatever on the button layout. you can even have icons. Not sure how complicated this would be or how practical as it won't work when it is being used as a detached nunchuck wiimote like configuration as well as the battery it would use up.

As shown in FIG. 1, the portable device 1 includes a display 2, a touch panel 3, an infrared camera 4, a distance measuring sensor 5, input buttons 6 (6A to 6D), an illuminating section 7 and a projector 8, which are accommodated in a housing 10. The housing 10 (the portable device 1) has a plate-like shape, and is sized so that it can be held by a user with one hand or both hands.

The projector 8 includes a light source for emitting visible light, and projects text, an image, etc., onto a projection plane (a screen or the hand of a user as will be described later) by using light from the light source.

The infrared camera 4, the distance measuring sensor 5, the illuminating section 7 and the projector 8 are provided on a side surface of the housing 10 (e.g., the right side surface: T1 surface). Specifically, the image-capturing direction (optical axis) of the infrared camera 4 is oriented vertical to the right side surface. The detecting direction of the distance measuring sensor 5 and the direction in which the projector 8 outputs light are also vertical to the right side surface. That is, when a user holds the portable device 1 with the left hand, the infrared camera 4 captures an image of the space in the right side surface direction of the portable device 1, and the distance measuring sensor 5 measures the distance to an object existing in the space in the right side surface direction of the portable device 1. The projector 8 projects an image, or the like, by outputting visible light in the same direction as the infrared camera 4 and the distance measuring sensor 5.

source

like this patent?

Why take the fun out of it? MIne will be in my underpants being used as a, um a pedometer. Yeah thats it, pedometer.

pedobear_golden_seal_by_invader_zero.png
[/IMG]

That segmented d-pad is one of the biggest red flags to me that Emily Rogers' rumors are false. Nintendo is credited with creating the dpad we know today, why would they go back on 30+ years of that? This thread is full of speculation about how everything is going to fit together logically, so what's the logic behind a segmented dpad?

I'm sure if (when) the final product comes out with a regular dpad, people will say the leakers must have been looking at rough prototypes that had micro switches instead of their dpads but that's a completely horse shit cop-out. I expect them to be wrong on the segmented dpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom