• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nx has a tv output. You can do this too with a mobile or notebook.

I like the idea, also understand it's Nintendo their focus. But without any base station for additional power that is used as console unit. I wouldn't call it a hybrid. But just a handheld with tv output and detachable controllers. I just need to use one button on my Samsung phone to stream games to my Samsung tv. I could add a Bluetooth controller to play it.

What difference does it make what you call it? It's a console that you can take on the go, it's a handheld that you can dock at home.

I personally think you could totally call it a hybrid exactly because its capabilities extend equally across home and handheld spaces. A 'base station for additional power' makes it seem like a console with a downgraded on-the-go experience, when I think the point will probably be that it's the same experience made to adhere to different circumstances and situations.

ASIS

The nx has a tv output. You can do this too with a mobile or notebook.

I like the idea, also understand it's Nintendo their focus. But without any base station for additional power that is used as console unit. I wouldn't call it a hybrid. But just a handheld with tv output and detachable controllers. I just need to use one button on my Samsung phone to stream games to my Samsung tv. I could add a Bluetooth controller to play it.

You could do that, but the games you play will still be design for a handheld (or, more specifically in your situation, a phone). So you can't really play on your phone the same way you play on your PS4. The NX is supposed to fill that gap. That's it.

It seems like a very small advantage but I bet there's more to it than that. We'll see in september 6 the coming weeks.

Peterc

What difference does it make what you call it? It's a console that you can take on the go, it's a handheld that you can dock at home.

I personally think you could totally call it a hybrid exactly because its capabilities extend equally across home and handheld spaces. A 'base station for additional power' makes it seem like a console with a downgraded on-the-go experience, when I think the point will probably be that it's the same experience made to adhere to different circumstances and situations.

It doesn't matter. But when looking at 3ds in years. It's the first one that would be replaced.

Because of wiiu, they could use the nx for a time to fill this gap.

But i just still thinknwith ps5, they would come with a nrw console too. They have too if they want 3rd party support

Smellycat

Surprise direct on September 6? 1 day before the Apple conference and 2 days before the Sony conference? That would be a disaster...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
People are really buying into the Sept. 6th surprise Direct for NX reveal?
In my opinion, if the announcement is to happen before Tokyo Game Show 2016, September 6 is really the last day for Nintendo if they do not want NX news to be potentially buried in the flood of PlayStation 4 Neo news that likely will emerge between September 7-13.

But I don't know about a surprise Nintendo Direct.

Smellycat

Rösti;215823142 said:
In my opinion, if the announcement is to happen before Tokyo Game Show 2016, September 6 is really the last day for Nintendo if they do not want NX news to be potentially buried in the flood of PlayStation 4 Neo news that likely will emerge between September 7-13.

If anything, Nintendo news would be buried if they went first since all eyes would focus on Sony 2 days later.

NateDrake

Rösti;215823142 said:

IF Nintendo were to do Sept. 6, they would need to announce plans on/by Sept. 5 (a holiday in the US), to notify people that the Direct will take place. A surprise Direct makes no sense. Limits the amount of people who will watch, and it's not a good marketing strategy.

jonno394

Nintendo could feasibly have a mini announcement on the 6th with a save the date style message. Would give them some column space prior to TGS and potentially distract some from the sony bandwagon the following day, then two weeks later they get all the attention.

BKSmash

Nintendo could feasibly have a mini announcement on the 6th with a save the date style message. Would give them some column space prior to TGS and potentially distract some from the sony bandwagon the following day, then two weeks later they get all the attention.

Sounds good to me!

L Thammy

What would be a good time for the NX reveal?

After PlayStation meeting - The NX will naturally be compared to whatever Sony's doing
Near PlayStation meeting - The NX will be drowned out by PlayStation buzz
Before PlayStation meeting - Nintendo will have to invent time travel

thefro

Rösti;215823142 said:

The other option is they might split the content between a surprise Nintendo direct and a press event 2-3 weeks later.

They have a ton of stuff to cover, probably more than Nintendo would like to show in one event since it'd have to be a Sony-length 2 hour press conference if they did it that way.

BDGAME

After PlayStation meeting - The NX will naturally be compared to whatever Sony's doing

I believe 9/11 is the best day.

mStudios

September 13 [Super Mario Birthday]

Tried seeing how 3DS games could work on NX if they want to show it full all of it. Here is a pic of the OG 3DS size on the Wii U gamepad (it's a bit smaller than the NX's rumored size)
3V1LOAX.png
Someone on gaf made this resolution comparison pic:
It can more than fit on the NX's resolution, but it would be very tiny at native res, maybe a VC release could be the 2-3x resolution?

ASIS

Before TGS seems like the best strategy if there are devs showing off NX games at the show. There is no way they'd announce it in two or three days from now.

Then again it's Nintendo.

Tried seeing how 3DS games could work on NX if they want to show it full all of it. Here is a pic of the OG 3DS size on the Wii U gamepad (it's a bit smaller than the NX's rumored size)

It can more than fit on the NX's resolution, but it would be very tiny at native res, maybe a VC release could be the 2-3x resolution?

Let's see if it even has BC before we worry about it. All signs point to no though.

Seeing as the control interface can be removed, I wonder if it's easy enough to sell alternate control schemes. The default would be the sticks at the top, an alternate would be symmetrical sticks on the bottom (a la PlayStation), and another would be asymmetrical sticks (a la XBOX). If Nintendo wouldn't do it, I could see third-party companies doing so. The NX has the rare opportunity for something like this to work, as the face buttons and stick placement are not permanently fused to the controller like they are with almost any other controller.

rekameohs

Banned

The 3DS resolution is 400x240 for the top screen and 320 x 240 for the bottom screen. A 720p display is 1280x720.

So, the top screen could easily play in native resolution scaled 3x, with each pixel as nine pixels - 1200x720. Or both screens could be shown next to each other as on Wii U's DS VC. 2x scaled top screen is 800+320=1120 pixels horizontally, or 2x scaled bottom screen is 400+640=1040 pixels horizontally.

A theoretical 3DS Virtual Console would be fine

wrowa

Rösti;215823142 said:

September 6 would be absolutely awful with Nintendo receiving attention for only a single day before everyone is already paying attention to the next thing.

If they want to reveal prior to TGS, September 12-13 would be a much better choice. There'd be enough days between Sony's and Nintendo's announcements that Nintendo wouldn't have to fear to get absolutely drowned away. They might have still to compete with some Neo news, but all of the big announcements will already have happened.

I generally don't think that Nintendo is in a hurry to reveal NX before TGS starts, though.

Edit: I actually forgot about Sony's Pre TGS conference. When talking about the Japanese market, I'd think that Nintendo is in a better position than Sony, though, so I don't think that would be a huge deal. Less of a problem than competing with E3 conferences.

ggx2ac

If it's Pascal that means it's Parker based right? I thought the max for Pascal was 16GB LPDDR4 and 4GB DDR5 for VRAM?

My mistake, the max 6GB was referring to a 64-bit bus.

Parker uses a 128-bit bus and, if Nintendo wants that 50GB/s bandwidth, they have to stick to the 128-bit bus.

Ck1

Banned
All of this speculation about the NX reveal date reminds me of how people were discussing Nintendo's position before e3. Remember how that went?
Nintendo is showing up with one game, they're dead in the water, all eyes will be on Sony and Microsoft and no one will remember what Nintendo brought to e3...

Everyone doesn't care about the Neo as much as people like to hope they do. Most of the people interested already own a PS4 and it's not like Sony will show off something amazing that has never been seen before.

Even the PSVR is right around the corner and it seems like Sony is just soft launching the device. Yes their event is coming up in a few days but it doesn't seem like a very hyped Sony product after seeing what they did for PS4. It feels more like how they treated the Vita!

Clessidor

I really don't know what I should think about the whole 6th September thing. Of course a surprise direct just doesn't make any kind of logical sense.
On the other hand I know 10do.de for years and well they might be a small hobby nintendo side, they wouldn't joke about such a thing. Also they've get always invited for all kinds of Nintendo press events in Germany and should definitively know people at Nintendo Europe.

So I kinda believe that they have heard something. Just it doesn't makes sense. I can only imagine they misunderstood their source and they put out a direct announcement video for the 6th. That would be more believable. Anyway I'm just suspicious and don't trust anything at the moment.

KAL2006

Banned
Here is how I see NX reveal timeline will happen

Nintendo tend to announce stuff in a Tuesday

September 6th Tuesday
- Teaser trailer annkuncement if NX reveal Nintendo Direct Date
- Takes some hype away from PS4 event on the following day, maybe even to ensure people hold off on preorders
- Getting a but leaky lately so it's best Nintendo announce this ASAP

September 13th Tuesday
- Nintendo Direct of the NX Reveal
- A full week to build hype since the teaser announcement
- Hands on with invited press after Direct
- This is the same date as the rekease of the original Super Mario Bros so perhaps a Mario game announcement to go along with NX

September 15th TGS
- More NX games revealed by Japanese 3rd party devs
- Public hands on demos kn show floor

September 6th Tuesday
- Takes some hype away from PS4 event on the following day, maybe even to ensure people hold off on preorders

September 13th Tuesday

September 15th TGS

I could definitely see the 6th as a teaser date. Maybe they even announce the name, maybe in a video similar to the Mega64 pre-E3 video.

No idea about the veracity of that September 6th report though.

Malus

I really don't know what I should think about the whole 6th September thing. Of course a surprise direct just doesn't make any kind of logical sense.
On the other hand I know 10do.de for years and well they might be a small hobby nintendo side, they wouldn't joke about such a thing. Also they've get always invited for all kinds of Nintendo press events in Germany and should definitively know people at Nintendo Europe.

So I kinda believe that they have heard something. Just it doesn't makes sense. I can only imagine they misunderstood their source and they put out a direct announcement video for the 6th. That would be more believable. Anyway I'm just suspicious and don't trust anything at the moment.

That makes two gaffers sticking up for the potential validity of the rumor. THIS CASE IS PICKING UP STEAM.

Mr Swine

Banned

September 6th Tuesday

September 13th Tuesday
- This is the same date as the rekease of the original Super Mario Bros so perhaps a Mario game announcement to go along with NX

September 15th TGS

Wouldn't this be most logical if they want to release NX in March next year? I feel that if they wait to long then the rest of the year will be all about PSVR and PSNeo

ggx2ac

That makes two gaffers sticking up for the potential validity of the rumor. THIS CASE IS PICKING UP STEAM.

I'd believe it if, it was something like a Mega 64 video Digital Event announcement but then the reveal would probably be a fortnight away which puts it at September 20th...

That was speculation, what will probably happen is nothing and then you get to watch the PS4 Neo reveal the following day while you wait for an NX reveal date.

Azoo

Neo Member
Sorry for being off topic, but I just had a crazy thought:

PSO2 on the NX. I need this.

Good luck getting PSO2 on anything at all. :v

Also I'm hoping they do something really soon about this. The 6th would be the perfect date for a teaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom