• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

I found some 3D mockup NX controllers from a Twitter user called Omni Jacala:

Gallery and annotations: http://imgur.com/a/wQUTZ

rrFtUDA.jpg
UcVA8eM.jpg
tqkanp3.jpg
]
WgfwOCH.jpg
fm0dv2j.jpg
B4UDVNv.jpg

It's a bit more ergonomic than other mockups.

Yes. Either is is 60% more powerefficient at the same performance as the tegra X1, or it is 40% more powerful at the same power draw (since power and performance don't scale 1:1).
That's very interesting it's such a big improvement technology nowadays is moving in such a fast pace. Good for Nintendo if they can achieve these numbers

Azoo

Neo Member
The problem with wanting that sideways Wiimote thing to work is that it pretty much ensures the buttons to be placed in a way that is pretty much... well, uncomfortable. The 3D printed mockup there looks way more comfortable than anything with the buttons way on the other ends of the controller + without offset could ever be.

Yado

That doesn't look like it would work when held on it's side, the two top triggers are too close. I'd place the one at the back on the bottom of the remote rather than at the top behind the other one.

maxcriden

Was the two player idea confirmed to be a design goal, or just Eurogamer's speculation based on there being two controllers?

Also, you could play 2-player Wii Sports or Wii Play with that.

From what we know, Eurogamer tweeted after their article saying the two detachable parts are two separate controllers, rather than two parts of one controller. To me, it appeared they presented this as though it was meant to be fact and part of their leak.

I think there are two camps for the "local multiplayer with both of the detachable controllers" feature.

One is the sideways wiimote/nes style control scheme, and the other is the normal 2 wiimotes pointed forward scheme like wii tennis. I personally think Nintendo can make something with ergonomics that work for both styles, but it would be quite easy to at least make a good wii tennis scheme based on the mockups we've seen.

jonno394

That wouldn't work with the two-player idea though.

I've always found this aspect of the leaks a bit suspect for some reason, don't know why but never stuck well with me. The idea of two player games using half a controller, got to be the most basic of basic games then?

KAL2006

Banned
I've always found this aspect of the leaks a bit suspect for some reason, don't know why but never stuck well with me. The idea of two player games using half a controller, got to be the most basic of basic games then?

I was thinking maybe the buttons side has a scrollable wheel shoulder button for horizontal camera controls

jonno394

I was thinking maybe the buttons side has a scrollable wheel shoulder button for horizontal camera controls

That time 10k linked to an "interview" he did with someone, they laughed at his question about scrollable shoulder buttons.

I mean, it could be used for 2D games, and other simple games like Mario Kart I suppose.

Zoon

Since we are talking about a handheld their focus should be the single player experience.
It'd be really shitty if they sacrifice the handheld's ergonomics for the sake of multiplayer.

Is he the only one to state that Xenko is working with Nintendo on the NX ? Not a single media I searched seems to give him any attention at all.
Xenko is for phones as well so it getting NX support means nothing
So if this is a handheld, how is it going to play just Dance? It has to stream or display on TV since it's a party game... ?
It's supposed to plug into the TV and you use the detachable controllers

Peru

Probably fake but a surprise direct would not be a poor strategy at all imo. You can gather journalists for a hands-on afterwards - a big sudden splash announcement would fit quite well with the newer web marketing strategies and probably create a lot of hype and outlets scrambling to cover and blow up the news.

udivision

Probably fake but a surprise direct would not be a poor strategy at all imo. You can gather journalists for a hands-on afterwards - a big sudden splash announcement would fit quite well with the newer web marketing strategies and probably create a lot of hype and outlets scrambling to cover and blow up the news.

Depends on what you mean by "afterward". 2 or 3 weeks from next week?

That is maybe related to pokemon, if i remember well we will get new information about pokemon sun&moon on that day

Oh yeah. Lame.

guek

Banned
From my perspective, Emily simply was clarifying that the resolution was not hardware limited to 720p while hooked to a TV. While it would have been bizarre, it is not unheard of. The GCN and Wii was limited to 480p due to hardware design, and the DS was locked at 60fps or 30fps w/3D on both screens due to the unique hard-limit vertex count per frame that the GPU had.

Emily doesn't know anything about output resolution. Her only claim is that the handheld screen is native 720p, that's all she was clarifying.

Surprise direct, so nobody will know about it and watch it ? Sounds very improbable Nintendo.

fixed

I really feel for you guys who are disappointed with the NX power envelope. I mean this thing is guaranteed to be at least 2x Wiiu in the palm of your hand and at 720p to boot. Imagine WWHD with twice the effects in the palm of your hand. That alone gets me very excited.

I mean everyone gushed over games like Uncharted 3 and Last of Us not too long ago. And now there is a portable from nintendo that will be capable of at putting out games that look/perform twice as good as those games...in the palm of your hand. How many Wiiu fans or here touted Mk8 as gorgeous. Youre getting a device that pumps out visuals at least twice as good.

Im a bit biased because portables are my first love. Small screen or big screen doesnt matter to me.

Also inb4 "im a nintendo only gamer". I have a ps4 and will be grabbing a neo day one.
Yeah, Nintendo with a Wii U+ system after a generation worth of HD experiences and actually modern dev tools is exciting. Mario Kart 8 is still one of the best looking games this generation and either 1080p or at least on a small screen like NX would hide a lot of the imperfections like jaggies. Hopefully, if successful, they can actually afford to invest more on these titles which is an issue with Wii U were the system didn't sell well enough to make it an economically feasible system to develop big games for so we saw very few actually take full advantage of the Wii U especially without the name "Mario" on the box.

September 6th is new Pokemon info, but why would NoE be hiding that. They don't do Directs for Pokemon. Pokemon gets a new trailer and I find it hard to believe they're doing a Direct and Pokemon trailer in the same day.

September 6th is new Pokemon info, but why would NoE be hiding that. They don't do Directs for Pokemon. Pokemon gets a new trailer and I find it hard to believe they're doing a Direct and Pokemon trailer in the same day.

Didn't they do a pokemon direct last year to reveal the game - it was only a 5 minute one, but i'm sure it happened.

Also they have had various game directs in the past to elaborate on the game, like Xenoblade for example.

But Nintendo seem busy lately, which is encouraging.

MacTag

Banned
It should be 6GB as the maximum since someone else pointed that out.

On Parker with a 128-bit bus, it can have 50GB/s of bandwidth for LPDDR4 RAM.
If it's Pascal that means it's Parker based right? I thought the max for Pascal was 16GB LPDDR4 and 4GB DDR5 for VRAM?

In a world in which AC adapters don't come bundled with the 3DS, I'm beginning to think that the TV-Out Dock Thing will just be sold separately for those who want it.

That way, you can get the large, more important audience (3DS/Handheld fans) to join at a lower price. And the smaller, increasingly less relevant group of people (people who want to play Nintendo games on the big screen) can pony up for their niche TV experience.
It'll come bundled with the dock, at least in America and Europe. The whole conceit behind unifying portable and stationary console lines is to have one platform that can serve the tastes of different markets and Iwata already highlighted the west's preference here. They're going to sell NX in the west as a traditional console you can also take with you, not as a handheld you can plug in to your tv.

Japan may be different though and I can definitely see Nintendo selling the dock separately as an accessory there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom