• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

I'm not even touching the fact that most of those weren't leaked first by Emily, but how about an avatar instead of money?

You gon change that to yo avatar too if one of them aint true? This go both ways playa

I didnt say all that is for emily tho. Thats the combined rumors.. look I be believing emily, I just be skeptical on the rumors... why? Cause I can. She got no problem talking to me and DM or whatever. I just am who I am. And I dont believe stuff right away thats all.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To be fair, Skittz said Emily Rogers or "any actual insider or journalist".

That's true, but if we take that literally, then the dock, the September reveal and the various games are not "on the controller" either. Technically the screensize, the Nvidia Tegra and 32GB storage neither.

You gon change that to yo avatar too if one of them aint true?

Nah, nah. You said half the list.

That's true, but if we take that literally, then the dock, the September reveal and the various games are not "on the controller" either. Technically the screensize, the Nvidia Tegra and 32GB storage neither.

Nah, nah. You said half the list.
Ok half the list.. are you gonna wear that L or no? I got no problem cause im a true heavy roller, premium gambler

tr1p1ex

This just goes along with the Eurogamer report about the NX having a controller attached to each side. You aren't going to have a regular dpad on one and buttons on the other...assuming each has an analog stick.
So makes sense one would have a dpad that more closely matches a set of 4 buttons.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok half the list.. are you gonna wear that L or no? I got no problem cause im a true heavy roller, premium gambler

Sure, I like Luigi. But let's clear some things first:

1. Screen size (being on the prototype doesn't mean it will be identically in the retail version, but fine)
2. 32GB storage (this can really change, I don't really believe this will be necessarily the same and neither does Emily, so find something else)
3. Share button
4. Dock
5. Detachable controllers
6. Playstation Split Dpad
7. September Reveal (this has nothing to do with what NX is, so it should be on the list)
8. Nvidia Tegra Chip
9. Wii Motion Control(lers)
10. Various game titles being ported from Wii U to NX (what games are you talking about here exactly?)

MuchoMalo

Banned
If someone asked me "would you like to have one Nintendo device that has the output from all Nintendo developers?" my answer would be yes.

I'm not against a hybrid, not at all. My problem is that if they want to put 'current gen' games on a handheld, it will need space, a lot of it. Sure that's not a problem for those that buy physical, but I don't because Nintendo is not even in my country anymore so the prices are usually 2x the price of a regular PS4/Xbox One game.

As far as I've read about it, SD/MicroSD cards are hovering at 128-256 GB, with some more expensive ones going over that. I've also read about new technologies that are coming, but are not ready yet (Samsung has one, IIRC). Portable games are usually small, so 32GB internal memory would be fine (I have a 32GB Vita memory card myself, plus a 128GB card for my N3DS), but apparently the NX also needs to be a home console, and IIRC they already said / it leaked that the cartridges would be up to 32GB. That means games would get bigger, likely similar to the Wii U in size. If that happens, 32GB suddenly isn't enough anymore, and even the bigger SD cards would get filled very fast, compared to a 2TB hard drive.

So, in other words, the hybrid idea isn't actually viable to you since there's no reasonable way to put 2TB in a portable unit.

If you're fine with an HDD at home and SD cards on the go, then would it not be better for Nintentedo to put out an NX-branded external HDD than to force everyone to pay $50-150 more for something which really needs to be cheap? If The fact of the matter is that, as a portable, the price/performance ratio compared to a console is already going to be bad. Does it make sense for Nintendo to make the price of entry on-par with PS4, when it's up to 80% slower?I'm personally hoping that Nintendo at least thinks to ship it with a 64GB microSD card, but beyond that I understand that there's no way for everyone to get what they want while keeping the price reasonable. You all want this amazing portable with minimum Xbone power, a 4k screen, 2TB HDD, and 10+ hour battery life for $199. It's not happening. Buit you are right about one thing: It's a terrible console. It can't give console gamers what they want. That's just a physical limitation of what they're doing unless they can somehow convince the masses that it's worth $400-500. In the end, it's just a portable capable of functioning as a console, not a true hybrid. You pretty much have to look at that way, and if that doesn't work for you, then this isn't for you.

The only reasonable compromise would be a $150 super dock sold separately with a 1TB HDD and an external GPU to bring it close to Neo specs.

I read the OP and saw the picture and have one question.

What's a split Dpad? I'm not familiar with this term and owned every Nintendo console and handheld.

There will for sure be a NX Pro Controller available for D-Pad purists.

Exactly. I'm all for split d pads if it means both controllers on the sides will be identical for on the go multiplayer! I'd really like to see the "Pro" controller included in the box, though. Otherwise, it probably will receive half-assed support at best.

I read the OP and saw the picture and have one question.

What's a split Dpad? I'm not familiar with this term and owned every Nintendo console and handheld.

It means that the pad is actually split into separate 'buttons,' like the PlayStation d-pad, rather than a solid plus sign design.

Sure, I like Luigi. But let's clear some things first:

1. Screen size (being on the prototype doesn't mean it will be identically in the retail version, but fine)
2. 32GB storage (this can really change, I don't really believe this will be necessarily the same and neither does Emily, so find something else)
3. Share button
4. Dock
5. Detachable controllers
6. Playstation Split Dpad
7. September Reveal (this has nothing to do with what NX is, so it should be on the list)
8. Nvidia Tegra Chip
9. Wii Motion Control(lers)
10. Various game titles being ported from Wii U to NX (what games are you talking about here exactly?)
What is a "Split" Dpad?
How does September reveal have nothing to do with Nx? 😅

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Um, yeah. Well, the quality of 3DS D-Pads varies greatly depending on the model, but the one on the Wii U and pro controller is great.
I have an OG 3DS and it's garbage. As for Wii U? Yeah sorry but I strongly disagree. It's not a good d-pad especially compared to the ones on Dualshocks. But hey at least it's not as bad as 3DS or 360.

Vita is the best d-pad ever though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What is a "Split" Dpad?
How does September reveal have nothing to do with Nx? ��

Buttons positioned in a shape of a D-pad more or less.

The reveal has nothing to do with what NX is, planned reveal dates can change much easier than hardware, especially the not announced ones.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Split d-pads are a superior design for a number of reasons. It feels better and it's a lot harder to fuck up an input on a split d-pad. With separate button style d-pad you're never going to do a diagonal press when you don't mean to, and on the same notion diagonal inputs are a lot clearer for you to feel when inputting. It's just a smarter more intuitive control design. Sony d-pads are also much better than Nintendo's for how the d-pad "click" feels.

KrawlMan

Ew, split d-pads.

Im pro Sony style.

But if I were to guess, I'd assume this change has more to do with reusing whatever logic they have in place for ABXY buttons using that IR-button-press patent. (No idea what it was called)

Maybe they could have gotten traditional d pads to work, but this method is far easier?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Once you go higher than 128GB you'll enter Vita level of ridiculousness, though. $80 for a 200GB SD card is kinda ridiculous. SD is great when individual media only takes up a moderate amount of space, but when individual games are 10GB and bigger SD starts to become less than ideal. Not like there's any alternative to SD in the mobile space, though (and bigger cards will likely become cheaper as well over time).

Which is why it'll be interesting to see how big the average NX game will be.

If the R/W speed is not bad $80 for 200 GB of compact flash storage is actually not that bad. I think your expectations of how much things should cost is a bit skewed if you do not mind me saying.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Split d-pads are a superior design for a number of reasons. It feels better and it's a lot harder to fuck up an input on a split d-pad. With separate button style d-pad you're never going to do a diagonal press when you don't mean to, and on the same notion diagonal inputs are a lot clearer for you to feel when inputting. It's just a smarter more intuitive control design. Sony d-pads are also much better than Nintendo's for how the d-pad "click" feels.

PS Vita d-pad, the king of d-pad's...

MDave

I'm not so sure on the split d-pad rumor. Wasn't a fan of them for the PS1/2/3. When trying to do a hadoken or dragon punch on Street Fighter, felt like your thumb was going over pot holes on a road. Trying to do diagonal movement wasn't accurate and comfortable either.

Vita d-pad is practically a regular cross d-pad with little gap between the directions making it much smoother doing motions with it, and its Sony's best. Why they didn't do this design for the PS4 is quite boggling.

Toparaman

Banned
These NX sketches are hilarious. Is there a specific reason they're drawn by a 6-year-old? Would using a ruler or straight-edge alert the cyber police?

I've seen everything, people claiming for fucking 32 GBs on a home console. That's not nearly enough for the handheld.

What are you people smoking.

A hard drive adds to the price. And with games coming on cartridges, installation won't be necessary. And if you're going digital only, whatever stock HDD is provided is never going to be enough.

Heck, I'd be ok if the PS Neo came with like, a 100 GB HDD, but gave me the ability to use an external unit.

MCN

Banned

If you're managing to fuck up directional input on a Nintendo Dpad, you shouldn't be allowed to game, and should have your thumbs cut off for your own protection.

Plum

These NX sketches are hilarious. Is there a specific reason they're drawn by a 6-year-old? Would using a ruler or straight-edge alert the cyber police?

Don't be so harsh, they're putting more effort into communicating their idea of what the NX is than Nintendo ever has.

pooh

I strongly disagree. I've never personally liked the Sony d-pads, and I feel like the only reason that design came about is because Nintendo previously had the patent on the standard d-pad.

wrowa

If the R/W speed is not bad $80 for 200 GB of compact flash storage is actually not that bad. I think your expectations of how much things should cost is a bit skewed if you do not mind me saying.

It's not the price per se, but the price in relation to what it would be used for in this case. Some people are hoping that NX will be powerful enough to get some PS4/XB1 downports and considering the usual file sizes you see on these platforms, paying $80 for a memory card that is able to hold 6 games is something most people would find to be ridiculous.

Like I said before, SD or flash storage in general is great when used with moderately sized media, but once you hit a certain average file size it becomes less than ideal (without there being any alternative available, obviously).

It's just one of these things that put question marks behind the question how viable it is to release big console-like games on NX, even if it has the neccessary horse power to run them.

ggx2ac

I get back on now but it seems that some people brought up what I was thinking about.

For example, going off of Thraktor's NX design. I was picturing only shoulder buttons on top which made me think that if there was the supposed split controllers can act as single controllers for multiplayer, how would the symmetry work considering we have a asymmetrical setup?

So now it makes sense from Thraktor's design to have shoulder buttons on the top and bottom to have a SNES style controller on each side.

Although I wouldn't picture the shoulder buttons strictly on top. I would see them taper off to the side like the Wii U Gamepad's shoulder buttons. That's how I can see the design work.

I don't agree with the NX ZL ZR buttons on the screen portion though. Only because I hate the ergonomics of it in the N3DS, so hopefully there's something better like trigger buttons on the back somewhere on the controllers.

Edit: Picturing it again I got it wrong with the shoulder buttons tapering off because of the asymmetrical setup.

Oregano

The best thing about flash media is the rate it drops in price and increases in size. Well unless its a Vita memory card!/rimshot

To be fair, Skittz said Emily Rogers or "any actual insider or journalist".

Interesting bet, though, could be close. I can easily imagine that screen size, amount of storage, separated Dpad and September reveal won't come true even if all of it might have been planned or was part of the devkits. Close to half! Gonna be interesting to see if Mihael will have to take the L.

I also said "rumored to be on the NX controller " device, which is what the poster I responded to seemed to be talking about. He seemed to think it was crazy that all of these features that people like Emily are reporting will be on the portable because there are "100" different things, which I understood to be controller features

Sorry to derail the thread into source doubting territory though.

Azoo

Neo Member
If I came off as condescending on the previous page, I apologize.

But I really am struggling to see how this thing is gonna remain ergonomic with all the knowledge we have on the controller pieces. It means either having two buttons below the d-pad / face button parts (like the 1 & 2 buttons on the Wiimote), having the d-pad / face button parts be way near the bottom of the controller, or some other crazy idea like the thing where you remove / move the pieces around.

The first option sounds plausible but a little bizarre for having two sets of the same buttons on each side when using it on the tablet part (or as dual remotes), the second option sounds horribly uncomfortable, and the third is just something I can't really wrap my head around until I see it in practice (especially since kids = messiness = losing pieces and etc). And no mockups so far have seemed to do any better convincing of any of those options working..

I don't know. Emily Rogers may have credibility and many things she's saying may end up true, but she's been wrong before (as you all know). I know I'm probably ruining people's fun bringing that up, but honestly there's a possibility this kind of stuff would ruin my fun with the console if true, lol.

Nintendo has a patent on D-pads style?

That explains why every other company has a different style. Here I was also confuse on why they never copy that. I like my vita, but much perfer non split D-pads.

Deep down inside I'm hoping all the rumors are wrong because it feels like we already have a good general idea now of what the system is lol. I want to be surprised, which I still will of course.

Nintendo has a patent on D-pads style?

That explains why every other company has a different style. Here I was also confuse on why they never copy that. I like my vita, but much perfer non split D-pads.

The patent expired in 2005, so they haven't been copying it since for other than legal reasons.

Top Bottom