• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

I doubt very much this will get nearly the third party support of the ps4 one, Im not sure if its even powerful enough to run those games with a tegra. The average NX game will probably be smaller.

And Im sure you already own a PS4, if you are mainly home console gamer why would you want the inferior NX version?

Nintendo EAD are the only ones that I trust to make small games. Look at Retro, Monolith, etc, all their games are massive (13-16GB, 20+GB). And that's not even taking in consideration third party games from Sega (Bayonetta), Atlus (TMS).

optimiss

Yes, because shipping another console without HDD is such a great idea.

For fuck's sake, y'all defend anything Nintendo does.

A hard drive with movable parts in a mobile device for kids is a horrible idea. There is a reason phones use static storage. The real issue here is the amount of storage, not the type.

Mokujin

All of these mockups would be horrifically uncomfortable in attached mode.

I'm really concerned about size, comfort and ergonomics from the sound of all these rumours...

I like the sound of some things (tegra, cartridges, decent screen...) but size, detachable controllers, no home console sku or special docked mode makes me worried that we may end getting something that doesn't quite achieve either being a nice portable or a nice home docked console, a failed hybrid...

Thing is, NX only has to achieve two goals to be a day one must buy for me:

* Have a good portable size and being comfortable
* Be able to play at home the next Zelda at 1080 with rock solid frame rate

But right now I'm unsure if the final product will be able to fulfil either of them, recent rumours picture an odd sized portable that may not even be that comfortable, and the general consensus that there won't be a home console version and not even a "clocked up" docked mode makes me worry that 1080 NX Zelda may be just a dream I should start to consider unlikely to avoid a possible disappointment.

Alchemy

If theres a share style button this gives me hope Nintendo is pulling its head out of its ass and at least aiming for software feature parity finally, which is the most significant problem Nintendo consoles have these days.

optimiss

I already said that I wasn't talking about the mobile, but the dock part.

Ahh ok, but then you have the issue of having some games only accessible when docked which sort of defeats the purpose of a hybrid. I hope they just include a large solid state drive or a high quality flash memory card.

Ahh ok, but then you have the issue of having some games only accessible when docked which sort of defeats the purpose of a hybrid.

This isn't the purpose of a hybrid.

The purpose of a hybrid is that it offers multiple form factor configurations with a single device, not that you can play any game with any form factor configuration.

If that's what they were going for, they'd just make a separate handheld and console.

I already said that I wasn't talking about the mobile, but the dock part.

How do we know what kind of storage the dock has? I read Emily's tweet as saying the portable prototype/devkit has 32GB of flash memory.

You're assuming way too much, especially when the dock itself is the biggest mystery we have about this hybrid NX.

Why couldn't this be solved by Nintendo putting a hard disk like all the other major manufacturers are doing

Remind me again why you want to pay Nintendo an extra premium on storage (like Sony and Microsoft do) versus being cheaply able to add any size hard drive yourself?

Remind me again why you want to pay Nintendo an extra premium on storage (like Sony and Microsoft do) versus being cheaply able to add any size hard drive yourself?

Because where I live it actually isn't a premium? Hard drives / solid state drives are actually more expensive buying alone than getting one with the console. A premium / black Wii U with a 500gb external would be more expensive than a PS4 (that comes with 500gb already), for an example.

Ahh ok, but then you have the issue of having some games only accessible when docked which sort of defeats the purpose of a hybrid. I hope they just include a large solid state drive or a high quality flash memory card.

I doubt we are getting more than 32GB for the portable, but we'll see.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Why couldn't this be solved by Nintendo putting a hard disk like all the other major manufacturers are doing recently.

If they want it to replace the Wii U and the 3DS then it have to be better than both. I'm not even going to bother to answer the other thing because I would be wasting my time apparently.

If the game sizes keep growing 128GB won't be enough for more than 4 major games. (In before someone says "who plays more than 4 games at once")

Well, they can't put the HDD in the unit itself and putting it in the dock would increase the size and complexity of it to the point of increasing the price more than the cost of just buying an external. Is your actual point that the hybrid idea as a whole is inadequate? Because that's the only way this really makes sense, especially if you're complaining about storage on the go as well. There's no way you actually think an HDD built into the portable unit makes sense.

Think about the maximum amount you're willing to pay for NX, then add $50 to it tell me if you think that would sell. Actually, you're even complaining about the portable storage, so add $150 instead to get 512GB flash and a 500GB HDD. That's what it would take for this to make you happy while remaining a hybrid. It's more fair if you simply say that you don't think that the hybrid idea is viable as a Wii U replacement.

Snakey125

Every is great except the split D-Pad. That horrible.

Even if it's split the other directions will still move when you press one just like a regular D-pad. You can't for example press opposite directions at once. You can press A and X together but not up and down on a PS-style d-paf.

You can map stuff to individual directions on a D-pad fine.

Also every Nintendo system from the NES to now (including the Virtual Boy) had a D-Pad.

Implying this is actually true, because considering the bulk of the rumor is emily rogers, a person who said Hal was not working smash bros for wiiu and that rockstar was working on a WiiU title.

I highly doubt this will be the case considering Nintendo will likely have Virtual Console for NX. If anything like what people I know have been speculating, It will be a hybrid between a WiiU Controller and the 3DS layout for the handheld.

That may be a problem if both ports are taken up by the GameCube Adapter, hence why I'm hoping for more than 2.

Hate to say this, but sometimes I wish Nintendo would specifically design the NX as incompatible with any wired controller just to spite you. Picturing you having a mental breakdown would be too delicious to not enjoy...

In before you make your usual 'oh but the competitive Smash scene won't accept this' comment: NO. STOP IT. There is probably more people on GAF that haven't heard about PS NEO or slim than your opinion re gamecube adapters.

Azoo

Neo Member
These mockups are a migrane. Nothing looks comfortable, and nothing looks appealing.

Honestly there are so many rumors of what the NX will have on it that at this point we're counting like nearly 100 different things about it just because someone like Emily Rogers or whoever was like "yeah, I think I heard that somewhere too".

Plus, the idea of taking off the controller bits on the side to make mini sideways Wiimotes to play multiplayer with feels kind of like a turn off. I haven't seen a single idea anywhere that makes it look ergonomic or appealing.

Hermii

Franz Brötchen;215457963 said:
Hate to say this, but sometimes I wish Nintendo would specifically design the NX as incompatible with any wired controller just to spite you. Picturing you having a mental breakdown would be too delicious to not enjoy...

In before you make your usual 'oh but the competitive Smash scene won't accept this' comment: NO. STOP IT. There is probably more people on GAF that haven't heard about PS NEO or slim than your opinion re gamecube adapters.

Yea I think compatibility with the gamecube adapter is pretty far down on Nintendos priority list with the NX.

optimiss

This isn't the purpose of a hybrid.

The purpose of a hybrid is that it offers multiple form factor configurations with a single device, not that you can play any game with any form factor configuration.

If that's what they were going for, they'd just make a separate handheld and console.

How do you know the purpose of Nintendo's hybrid? If you are just making an assumption, that is fine, but you state it as fact.

I don't understand your logic in the second sentence. It seems like a false equivalency. Care to elaborate?

majik13

Only read the OP, but I am guessing the split dpad, its to give some parity to both controllers when used as a 2 player setup. Split dpad would be similiar to 4 face buttons on the other controller when used NES style.

Im sure this has already been thoroughly discussed, and was speculated prior to this rumor.

Retrobox

My man, competitive smashers are a force to be reckoned with. That's why the adapter exists to begin with.

optimiss

Because where I live it actually isn't a premium? Hard drives / solid state drives are actually more expensive buying alone than getting one with the console. A premium / black Wii U with a 500gb external would be more expensive than a PS4 (that comes with 500gb already), for an example.

I doubt we are getting more than 32GB for the portable, but we'll see.

Yeah, knowing Nintendo they will go as low as they can get away with.

It is too bad cellular internet connections aren't ubiquitous or they could just have a cloud storage/streaming solution. It would be nice to never have to install anything unless you were going off the grid.

Taker666

One thing that concerns me is how difficult the buttons will be to reach in various modes.

For single players using it as a handheld, you want all the face buttons/sticks close together and in easy reach of your thumbs...

...but if each side is then taken off for a two player game then having the stick/buttons close (assuming it'll be held sideways) will make everything very cramped.

..and if you want to play on the tv then having a dual nunchuk/Wii remote set-up seems fine on paper...but it's going to be awkward as hell and unbalanced to have the second analogue stick on the right controller in the middle/lower down. It's not such an issue on a two handed controller as you can hold the weight in one hand while sliding your other hand between the correct inputs...but if it's a single stick in each hand, it's going to be far more awkward to swap between inputs.

Well, they can't put the HDD in the unit itself and putting it in the dock would increase the size and complexity of it to the point of increasing the price more than the cost of just buying an external. Is your actual point that the hybrid idea as a whole is inadequate? Because that's the only way this really makes sense, especially if you're complaining about storage on the go as well. There's no way you actually think an HDD built into the portable unit makes sense.

Think about the maximum amount you're willing to pay for NX, then add $50 to it tell me if you think that would sell. Actually, you're even complaining about the portable storage, so add $150 instead to get 512GB flash and a 500GB HDD. That's what it would take for this to make you happy while remaining a hybrid. It's more fair if you simply say that you don't think that the hybrid idea is viable as a Wii U replacement.

If someone asked me "would you like to have one Nintendo device that has the output from all Nintendo developers?" my answer would be yes.

I'm not against a hybrid, not at all. My problem is that if they want to put 'current gen' games on a handheld, it will need space, a lot of it. Sure that's not a problem for those that buy physical, but I don't because Nintendo is not even in my country anymore so the prices are usually 2x the price of a regular PS4/Xbox One game.

As far as I've read about it, SD/MicroSD cards are hovering at 128-256 GB, with some more expensive ones going over that. I've also read about new technologies that are coming, but are not ready yet (Samsung has one, IIRC). Portable games are usually small, so 32GB internal memory would be fine (I have a 32GB Vita memory card myself, plus a 128GB card for my N3DS), but apparently the NX also needs to be a home console, and IIRC they already said / it leaked that the cartridges would be up to 32GB. That means games would get bigger, likely similar to the Wii U in size. If that happens, 32GB suddenly isn't enough anymore, and even the bigger SD cards would get filled very fast, compared to a 2TB hard drive.

How do you know the purpose of Nintendo's hybrid? If you are just making an assumption, that is fine, but you state it as fact.

If we're talking about the many-times-reported device that can be played while on the go but also connects to your TV and has two detachable controllers that support Wii-like motion control and multiplayer, it's already true in a de facto sense that it's one device designed for multiple configurations.

It's possible that you'll be able to play all games with all configurations, but the very fact that multiple configurations are part of its core design means its purpose is to support multiple configurations.

Neoxon

Yea I think compatibility with the gamecube adapter is pretty far down on Nintendos priority list with the NX.
It's not just that, but also the LAN Adapter as well (which is another thing that I'm hoping for, a built-in Ethernet port). There's really no point in screwing over the competitive scene when it's something so simple to do. And if there is no wired controller support, the competitive scene will likely just stick with the Wii U version of Smash 4. There are already concerns within the community that they'll have to spend $250+ on gear right when they already got past that for the Wii U version of the game.

Hermii

I'm extremely concerned that the NX is a solution to a problem that we don't have.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to Nintendo to have 2 seperated systems that share the same OS ala iPhone/iPad vs 2 seperated systems.

Nintendo benefits from selling two separate systems and from having one ecosystem to make games for.

By making a hybrid you're making a portable that's too big and a console that's too weak plus you make less money by selling only one sku.
Yea this is what we all thought based on Iwatas and Takedas comments and actually I'm disappointed that it's a hybrid. I'm still convinced they will release more form factors and power envelopes though possibly based on Tegra. I believe Tegra could in theory go up to almost 4tf ft in a home console form factor? I believe I read it somewhere probably on gaf.

optimiss

If we're talking about the many-times-reported device that can be played while on the go but also connects to your TV and has two detachable controllers that support Wii-like motion control and multiplayer, it's already true in a de facto sense that it's one device designed for multiple configurations.

It's possible that you'll be able to play all games with all configurations, but the very fact that multiple configurations are part of its core design means its purpose is to support multiple configurations.

I'm not as sure as you are that one implies the other, but I get where you are coming from now. That stupid reveal can't get here soon enough!

Dr. Buni

I'm extremely concerned that the NX is a solution to a problem that we don't have.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to Nintendo to have 2 seperated systems that share the same OS ala iPhone/iPad vs 2 seperated systems.

Nintendo benefits from selling two separate systems and from having one ecosystem to make games for.

By making a hybrid you're making a portable that's too big and a console that's too weak plus you make less money by selling only one sku.
I want a hybrid. Don't care about a portable being small, don't care about a console being "weak" either. At the same time, I wouldn't be against two systems with a shared library.

BDGAME

How about a clamp shell design?

image0014.jpg

Neoxon

Here's my mock up.

The circle pad of game pad A and the buttons of game pad B would be able to slide into position to be used in the 2 different modes: handheld and double gamepad mode.

pQTCM1Y.jpg

wfY1Rv8.jpg

uAXM8FY.jpg

Yay or nay?
Fixed the links. Just add "i." in front of imgur & ".jpg" after the code (Ex: "http://i.imgur.com/pQTCM1Y.jpg").

Either way, they look pretty solid. But I have a few issues with this.
  1. Why put the left stick on the bottom & the right stick at the top?
  2. The report mentioned a PS4-style split for the dev kit, not 4 separate buttons. Though I can see how that could be left for interpretation.
  3. Wouldn't the sliding mechanism be prone to breaking?

Here's my mock up.

The circle pad of game pad A and the buttons of game pad B would be able to slide into position to be used in the 2 different modes: handheld and double gamepad mode.

pQTCM1Y.jpg

wfY1Rv8.jpg

uAXM8FY.jpg

Yay or nay?

Edit: fuck why do the images not show? :(

Here. That slider thing would get loose so fast.

Neoxon

add .png to the end of your link lol
They're jpg files, so put .jpg at the end. Also, as mentioned earlier, don't forget the i.imgur part. That's not to say that .png doesn't work, but it makes more sense to stick with the original format.

wrowa

They're jpg files, so put .jpg at the end. Also, as mentioned earlier, don't forget the i.imgur part. That's not to say that .png doesn't work, but it makes more sense to stick with the original format.

Also, put the img tags between quote tags, so the images get resized (currently they are huuuuge).

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Here's my mock up.

pQTCM1Y.jpg

wfY1Rv8.jpg

uAXM8FY.jpg

Yay or nay?

Just imagine getting your skin caught in that.

With that sliding mockup, I'm not really sure why you'd want to slide the thing down. Shouldn't it just be in line with your thumb and stay there?

I was trying to solve the ergonomics in both modes so that I'm handheld mode the arrangement is similar to an Xbox gamepad and when detached the ergonomics ate those of an snes game pad. Of course I'm aware of the sliding elements making this much more prone to breaking up but well, just my 2 cents.

Also, I believe Nintendo had a patent about some sort of detachable components in gamepads right?

aadiboy

I honestly don't understand why there needs to be detachable controllers. Just put a separate controller in the box!

These mockups are a migrane. Nothing looks comfortable, and nothing looks appealing.

Honestly there are so many rumors of what the NX will have on it that at this point we're counting like nearly 100 different things about it just because someone like Emily Rogers or whoever was like "yeah, I think I heard that somewhere too".

Plus, the idea of taking off the controller bits on the side to make mini sideways Wiimotes to play multiplayer with feels kind of like a turn off. I haven't seen a single idea anywhere that makes it look ergonomic or appealing.

Name 10 things that have been rumored by Emily Rogers (or any actual insider or journalist) to be on the controller.

So far we have split d-pad, share button, and a 720p multi-touch screen. The controllers can detach and have motion capability and force feedback

That is 5 rumored elements, two of which (motion/rumble) are practically a given, and one of which (720p scree) isn't anything new. If we just look at these rumors I don't think there's too much of anything, and it seems like they all coexist nicely. I'm not getting the whole frankenstein vibe that a lot people seem to get.

Now, if you want to include speculation based on patents, like scroll shoulders, SCDs, IR ports, pico projectors and the like, then that makes it a lot crazier, but note that none of these insiders are reporting those things.

There's really nothing ridiculous about what Emily Rogers and others are saying, you might just be conflating those rumors with speculation that is not based on rumors.

Top Bottom