• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
only 1.7k i understand that bold claim if it was a survey of over 1mil. or something

but with that said. the ps4 is selling like hot cakes. the price per performance is above the xbox one

1.7k is pretty large in statistical terms, when you see political polls done around elections they're sometimes done with as few as 1k people.

netBuff

The system in general is disappointing, their first impression was just part of the puzzle of their general failure to create a compelling gaming system by focusing on other media.

only 1.7k i understand that bold claim if it was a survey of over 1mil. or something

but with that said. the ps4 is selling like hot cakes. the price per performance is above the xbox one

That's a very reasonable sample size, 1 Million is an insane expectation for this kind of survey.

Right now, Microsoft is beating the crap out of Sony in the exclusives department, with a stronger launch line up, a stronger selection of developers (nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody), and more announced games, with more to come.

Sony, weirdly, is completely failing to deliver.

And heck, it's actually performing better on a few multiplatform games (wtf).

Are you living in some kind of alternate reality? MS doesn't hold a candle in the exclusives department, they don't even have the developers for any theoretical future wins after closing down so many studios. They've had a more solid launch exclusive lineup (although not spectacular). I don't see them putting out half as much creativity or half as many titles compared to Sony.

And multiplats are universally performing worse on Xbone, including Thief.

well I have both 360 and PS3, I got a 360 due to the support it was getting in the early years, with Samurai Warriors 2, Ninety Nine Nights, the J RPGs etc. Then got a PS3 as that always had J RPGS etc. Then the Japanese games just disappeared for 360 and that console was relegated to exclusives i'm interested in only. That mindset is the same as I have now for the Xbox One Exclusives only.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't doubt it, but is a poll on Yahoo really a "report?"

From a site that considers Thief a "stellar addition" to the games coming out right now?
The survey was done on DealNews.

So if you want to call into question the selection, then don't use the editorial of what the Yahoo Games team makes a good game. It's a non-sequitur.

You can say: Among price conscious dual console owners, the PS4 currently sees a higher adoption rate compared to the Xbox One.
Something like that should be the title.

Edit: Wow at your "nobody can touch Insomniac at Sony" comment.

EGOMON

Sony extensive support for PS3 with exclusives was a deciding factor for many of my friends who owned 360 last-gen to go with PS4 this gen

geordiemp

money and stuff.

Not really, can only speak for myself, X1 needs to run games better for me to jump on board.

In 2014.....720 / poor FPS or screen tearing and I just switch off...got better things to do with my gaming time than an assault on my eyeballs...

madmackem

From a site that considers Thief a "stellar addition" to the games coming out right now?

Right now, Microsoft is beating the crap out of Sony in the exclusives department, with a stronger launch line up, a stronger selection of developers (nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody), and more announced games, with more to come.

What!!! Exclusives number wise is pretty much the same right now, and as for no one beats remedy or insomniac haha you do realise insomniac is a third party studio with only one game deal with ms? Sony also has way better real first party studios as proven last gen.

Wow..

kmax

Microsoft has no one else to blame but themselves. If they tried to appeal to gamers from the get-go instead of going with the whole "TV-TV!" angle, then they would of had much better prospects from the start.

Steroyd

Im not talking about the people who cant afford it. Im talking about the people who can yet they dont. And im not talking about multiplats games, im obviously talking about exclusives. I mean, sticking yourself with xbox wont let you experience a beautiful game like TLOU. Sticking yourself with playstation wont let you experience a beautiful game like Halo. Not to forget Nintendo's amazing platform games.

Why not wait till the generation is nearly over where you can get all the exclusives + console for super cheap with the added bonus if the next console is B/C if you're only gunning for exclusives.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Ahhahaha, oh god. This is something else right here.
Microsoft with the superior selection of developers? Someone wake this guy up.

Is this perhaps just very poorly done sarcasm? Or a joke poster?

CCS

Banned

Seriously? Naughty Dog are at least as good, SSM and Media Molecule are in my opinion as well. So much fanboy there.

Im not talking about the people who cant afford it. Im talking about the people who can yet they dont. And im not talking about multiplats games, im obviously talking about exclusives. I mean, sticking yourself with xbox wont let you experience a beautiful game like TLOU. Sticking yourself with playstation wont let you experience a beautiful game like Halo. Not to forget Nintendo's amazing platform games.

Respectfully, that's probably something you should have specified in your original post. Instead, you seemed to assume it's all due to fanboyism. Even here on NeoGaf, where members are pretty much all invested gamers, you see loads of people noting that they just can't afford it. If money isn't an issue, I'm with you (I own just about everything), but that just isn't feasible for a lot of people. It's an expensive hobby.

NateDrake

Not really surprising. Several of my friends who played primarily on Xbox 360 bought a PS4 because of the lower price.

Titanfall is tempting some of them.

-MD-

I dumped the xbox camp a little after Kinect came out. And I was a huge 360 fan in it's first few years.

Can't say I miss it at all.

geordiemp

eh ?

Saw the performance on major important selling games such as COD Ghosts / AC4 and BF4 and stopped reading right there....

If some indi or low selling game performs better due to say "a 10 man team" missing something in settings then Its not exactly important is it.........

...and hardly a benchmark indicator of future console performance...

Pungza

lol Insomniac, what was their last good game that wasn't a R&C?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It won't help. MS has already lost this gens console war.

I want them to do this just to shake things up :) and they've done it before on Xbox. Not sure how much appetite they'd have for that, but if they keep the x86 architecture they could include BC or even forward compatibility to ease any transition

iMax

Xbone is also a significantly worse machine than PS4 at a higher price point.

Because MS has had a terrible line-up of exclusives for years now, so that might Xbone not make worth the purchase of $500 for just a handful of games.

The system in general is disappointing, their first impression was just part of the puzzle of their general failure to create a compelling gaming system by focusing on other media.

That's a very reasonable sample size, 1 Million is an insane expectation for this kind of survey.

Are you living in some kind of alternate reality? MS doesn't hold a candle in the exclusives department, they don't even have the developers for any theoretical future wins after closing down so many studios. They've had a more solid launch exclusive lineup (although not spectacular). I don't see them putting out half as much creativity or half as many titles compared to Sony.

And multiplats are universally performing worse on Xbone, including Thief.

AIH8XBt.gif

FeiRR

Banned
The fact that you can afford something doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy it. I don't see a point in wasting so much money on a console which is technically worse than two other platforms I already have just to play one game which I'm interested in. And I bet that Remedy game will come to PC sooner or later. I'm far away from Microsoft's target demographics and so are my friends.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I don't really think it's about fanboyism at all. Most people don't necessarily care for all the different exclusives nor do they have the time to play them all. Not all of us want huge ass backlogs or buy stuff just because we can.

EGOMON

9571ef2d_980.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they asked, they haven't published the answer to that question.

Dual_Owners_What_d_You_Buy_.jpg

That's a shame. While it is interesting to see what their current purchases are, I'd also like to know whether they would still expect to buy both - presumably multi console owners are interested in exclusives, so many may expect to buy both eventually

MavFan619

Banned

I'll give that Xbox1 had a stronger launch of exclusives but it seemed to come at the cost of ignoring the 360's last few years. That's something I personally consider when thinking of an eventual Xbox purchase. As I was a fan of the PS3 exclusive output up until and beyond PS4's launch it made me getting a PS4 for more than what was available at launch (Infamous) easier. I wont touch the thing about the developers I have a clear bias towards the Sony 1st party output.

Chobel

lol

The crazy thing is that MS could've taken this generation easily if they:

1) More or equal specs as PS4.

2) Kinect not required

3) Lower price as PS4

4) Had backwards compatibility.

Would've won or at least taken a sizable lead. Now it's almost in the same doom category as the Wii U.

LAA

Not surprised at all.
I did own a 360 for most of last gen, getting a PS3 closer to the end, so 360 made me "switch" before next gen started really.

Don't really understand blind loyalist attitude though. I don't think I've ever liked something that much I can 100% believe they can never do anything wrong so I don't need to consider any competition, which I have seen a lot of people do actually. Just go for the product you think is best for you, and judging from the survey and sales, seems more people think the PS4 is better for them.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a PS4 and I'll most definitely be buying an xbox one eventually. Just waiting for the right time, price and exclusive to get me interested.

Sophia

Money doesn't quite work like that. I could afford an Xbox One if I really wanted to save up for it, but it's value is currently pretty poor. For me, Kinect is a big factor too, as it doesn't add a whole lot of value to the package, but increases the cost a lot.

PJV3

Respectfully, that's probably something you should have specified in your original post. Instead, you seemed to assume it's all due to fanboyism. Even here on NeoGaf, where members are pretty much all invested gamers, you see loads of people noting that they just can't afford it. If money isn't an issue, I'm with you (I own just about everything), but that just isn't feasible for a lot of people. It's an expensive hobby.

People also have other interests and shit to do, I don't want a house full of ghastly looking equipment either.

One console (2 max) and one handheld is enough, add my kids gaming stuff to the pile of endless wires etc and It becomes an annoyance.

Marvel

could never
I was primarily a 360 guy last gen so this describes me. Though I did own a PS3 late in it's life for the incredible Sony exclusives. I'm now just a PS guy with only a PS4 after selling the XB1.

Very happy.

It seems MS wants consumers to not be informed in their purchases. I'm not anti-Xbox or anything like that, but the value of the XB1 just cannot compare to the PS4. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the people buying the XB1. No offense to those that did, but in my eyes that was a bad decision. But I guess opinions.
This gif doesn't work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom