• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans’ Kansas’s economy experiment survives a revolt from their own party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback’s ambitious tax overhaul — which slashed taxes for businesses and affluent households, leading to years of budget shortfalls — narrowly survived a mutiny Wednesday afternoon when about half of Republican lawmakers joined Democrats in an effort to overturn it.

Brownback, a Republican who once called his tax policy a “real-live experiment” with conservative principles, had vetoed a bill that would have repealed the most important provisions of his overhaul. While the state House voted to override the veto earlier in the day, proponents of the bill came up three votes shy of the two-thirds majority needed in the Senate. Fifteen Republican senators voted to override the veto, while 16 voted to sustain it.

In the House, 45 GOP legislators voted in favor of the increase, while 40 voted to uphold the governor’s veto.

The state is facing a $350 million budget shortfall. Brownback’s critics say the state’s persistent deficits are evidence that the economic benefits from reduced taxes are not always adequate to make up for reductions in revenue, as advocates of supply-side changes have sometimes claimed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...onomy-survives-a-revolt-from-their-own-party/

I feel bad for anyone living in Kansas, but it seems like we will get another 2 years of prove that massive tax cuts don't magically result in more revenue for government, and that massive tax cuts don't spur massive economic growth.

And yet still some people will still try and act like this is working and not destroying the state.

The experiment failed, stop trying to make it work.

Slayven

And yet still some people will still try and act like this is working and not destroying the state.

Exactly, they have overwhelming proof that the shit doesn't work. But rather burn shit down then be wrong.

But when Trump fucks up the economy Kansas is going to catch it among the worst

Steel

Banned
Don't worry. The experiment will soon be tried on a national level! Now we all get to experience what it's like to be Kansas.

Averon

They'll never admit that because it would mean admitting that decades of GOP economic theory is a sham.

watershed

Banned
Brownback is an ideological idiot. Unless this experiment leads to republicans completely abandoning their economic approach it has failed already by hurting so many people in Kansas.

That money from corporations won't come if they overturn the tax plan. Makes sense for the average Republicans. Why would they give a fuck if the there is a budget deficit? Who gives a flying fuck about state public services or infrastructure? Fucking unreal how horrible these people are. It's so blatant at this point but people will still vote for them. Sometimes I wonder if they deserve their state going bankrupt.

The Llama

A friend of mine here in Philly is originally from Kansas, and is pretty religious (goes to church every Sunday, etc.). I liked his tweet on this:

7UakFPW.png

Steel

Banned
Amazes me how many people still think these bullshit republican economic policies will work.

Why? The easiest concept for people to understand about the government's effect on their day to day lives is taxes. You tell people that you're lowering their taxes, they understand that they'll certainly have more money in their pockets(likely at the cost of pay raises that would've otherwise occurred, of course). If you can convince people that this will miraculously also benefit the economy, well, that's a convincing argument.

On the other hand, you tell them that the government's going to come up with some complicated programs to bring wages up and insure that good healthcare is available to all, it takes more thinking to understand that. And, furthermore, they have no certainty that such plans would directly benefit them or that they'll even function properly.

Republicans really hit the political nail on the head when they started focusing on taxes. And, the best part is, when they muck around with lowering taxes and eventually murder the economy through that, when they get voted out for that... The democrats have to come in and be the one to raise taxes, which in turn allows them to run on lowering taxes all over again and get people's votes immediately afterward. And the cycle continues.

When an experiment fails, you try a different one. These guys are whacked out

It's less an experiment at this point than a religion.

bionic77

Amazes me how many people still think these bullshit republican economic policies will work.
Magic is always a popular solution to most problems.

The idea of your taxes being reduced leading to a stronger economy and somehow more government revenue is enticing.

Math gets in the way but Republicans don't fuck with any math or science that is not in the Bible (with the sole exception of science to kill people).

Raguel

Just moved to Wichita, Kansas from Lafayette, Indiana. From one conservative dumpster to another.

Welcome to Wichita. A conservative shit hole city in a state that is in ruins. Glad you can be stuck here with me. I can give you a tour. Here is a dumpster. It's on fire. Enjoy.

As a side note, where is that twat Gaffer who championed this financial disaster of an experiment? The arm chair economy expert who kept harping that this is a good solid policy for kansas even though he lived half a world away.

gcubed

Welcome to Wichita. A conservative shit hole city in a state that is in ruins. Glad you can be stuck here with me. I can give you a tour. Here is a dumpster. It's on fire. Enjoy.

As a side note, where is that twat Gaffer who championed this financial disaster of an experiment? The arm chair economy expert who kept harping that this is a good solid policy for kansas even though he lived half a world away.

It just hasn't been given enough time yet!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Democrats will be elected, and then he'll say "Haha, they're raising taxes, told y'all".

Piecake

It just hasn't been given enough time yet!

Its a shame that we will hit 8 years, but not that magic 10.

I am sure some moron will argue that it would only start to magically and dramatically turn around at 10 and that we should try it again

So you're saying the "job creators" didn't take their tax savings and invest it opening a new or expanding their current business and in turn hire more people?

gcubed

I am sure some moron will argue that it would only start to magically and dramatically turn around at 10 and that we should try it again

It's always going to be just a year away from when they actually stop trying it, because bullshit voodoo can never fail in the minds of idiots

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Probably banned but he was Australian right?

Raguel

That Gaffer about whom I spoke did argue such nonsense. He argued that kansas won't see the fruits of this experiment short term only long term. You know...when everything is total collapse. Hahaha. He was such a clown.

If it's who I think you're referring to, banned.

Piecake

So you're saying the "job creators" didn't take their tax savings and invest it opening a new or expanding their current business and in turn hire more people?

Planet Money did an episode on it and it seemed that a decent amount of small business owners invested money back into their business, but they didn't hire anyone new because the market didn't demand any increase in production.

So yea, businesses bought some shiny new computers, no one got any new jobs from that, and the government revenue cratered.

JdFoX187

Banned
Similiar mess is happening in Oklahoma right now. Our state has a damn near $900 million shortfall -- the third year in a row. At least our governor has proposed raising taxes and adding new taxes -- on funerals and burials and doctors visits. Don't get sick and don't die -- unless you're rich.

Piecake

It's always going to be just a year away from when they actually stop trying it, because bullshit voodoo can never fail in the minds of idiots

That Gaffer about whom I spoke did argue such nonsense. He argued that kansas won't see the fruits of this experiment short term only long term. You know...when everything is total collapse. Hahaha. He was such a clown.

I referenced 10 because Laffer, the moron who came up with this voodoo economics, said that it would take 10 years.

I am sure you are right that they will always say it will just need more time, but they'd like quite foolish if it did hit that 10.

Planet Money did an episode on it and it seemed that a decent amount of small business owners invested money back into their business, but they didn't hire anyone new because the market didn't demand any increase in production.

So yea, businesses bought some shiny new computers, no one got any new jobs from that, and the government revenue cratered.

I'm stunned that simply throwing temporary increases in money while throttling down on any sort of federal funding would provide no net increase in job demand.

Stunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom