• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres like 3 forums that have ResetEra focused discussion threads.
Theirs a twitter account with more followers then ResetEra has that does the same.

People have been documenting odd corners of the internet since its inception and laughing about it.

If ResetEra was a person, it be Chris Chan.

Yeah.

A thread on Era isn't an jilted ex situation. And, it's on many more places than here.

It's a comedy watch party for the rest of the internet.

I don't want Era to go away or lighten up. I want them to double down on the crazy.

I want them to end up having Terms of Service that requires an sociologist, an accountant, and an astrologer to fully understand and grasp what is a bannable offense or not.

And then the mods end up banning people for shit not in that TOS or vague arbitrary reasons.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol just straight posting made up fake news bullshit and calling it "satire"

AsvTfbn.png

"very good satire"

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

look at these clowns they are so obsessed with Trump they have to make up their own fan fic about him

Last edited:

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
You seem like one of those Indians who long to hang around white people and seek their approval. Look at you begging to be in their midst, going as far as to create alt accounts to post where you aren't wanted. Pathetic.

People here will coddle you just because they hate resetera. Not me, because I know you would never defend the honor of an Indian person with the same fervor you do white people.

lmao what? If that was your take away from all of that, thats more pathetic than anything else.

I do not hate resetEra, lot of the people i play and interact with moved there hence i said i do not speak ill of the site. Its the mod's reasoning i had issue with. Also i do not give a flying fuck about you or anyone defending me or not. This was a thread about ResetEra discussion, so i was sharing my experience and that was all.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its so funny all the "Guillotine" talk bc that site is entirely obsessed with pop consumer culture. like it is the one thing they fetishize. companies like Marvel and Disney are sacrosanct, you will be shamed if you don't appreciate their product enough. so they can say "guillotine" all they want but as long as they are comparing Box Office results and promoting endless corporate product they are entirely powerless and only giving money and free press to their supposed enemies.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
That site looks like the scenario where artificial intelligence takes over the world. I found the topic about "Neogaf", 20-30% of those who commented on the topic were banned :) I love both sites, but I preferred to register for one, because the environment here is more fun. But talking about them in so many pages? I think it's awkward. Do you talk about North Korea or any other "bad" site that much?
If there was another site masquerading as an enthusiast gaming forum but also pushing death threats or doxxing of game developers then sure.
I'm not about letting bad people off the hook. But the funny thing is, the sites I actually want to compare Reset to (when you look at just the comments) would only exist on the darkweb or places monitored by the FBI.

At least those places are unapologetic for who they are, whereas Reset is unique in that they downplay their crimes and even accuse others of being "wrong". That's how it warranted getting its own thread and not say... Gamefaqs.

And we talk about North Korea every time they launch a missile at us. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
lmao what? If that was your take away from all of that, thats more pathetic than anything else.

I do not hate resetEra, lot of the people i play and interact with moved there hence i said i do not speak ill of the site. Its the mod's reasoning i had issue with. Also i do not give a flying fuck about you or anyone defending me or not. This was a thread about ResetEra discussion, so i was sharing my experience and that was all.

You don’t respond well to feedback.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If only you consider his comment as a "feedback"

I’d take a guess that anything other than “BeforeU is perfect” would not count as feedback to you. I wonder how you cope at work.

JordanN

Banned
Here's a fresh example for you ChoosableOne ChoosableOne about why Reset gets talked about on here, because they do talk about us.

97r1QVi.png

Look, I fall within the camp on Conservative. I've never touched anyone. I've never harmed anyone. Hell, I also do charitable work from time to time.

And yet according to Resetera, I'm still evil, for no reason other than "all conservatives are evil". And if you were to ask Reset what this means or if they have any evidence, they would refuse to give you any.

Like, I really do find all this shit coming out from social media about "Conservatives are trained to hate" to be really fucking weird. Who is telling me to hate or make all these "minorities" lives miserable? I don't remember Commander Trump telling me "Ok fellow Conservatives. Go grab your sticks and start attacking every non-white person you see". The media keeps saying he does but I have never once heard this action before.

And one more thing: if Conservatives wanted to be complete bastards, why do we even have a justice system at all? Why do we allow freedom of speech? If Conservatives really wanted to be these "totalitarian anti-minority monsters" the media portrays us as, wouldn't we just prefer to have a dictatorship and execute anyone who disagrees with us?

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Here's a fresh example for you ChoosableOne ChoosableOne about why Reset gets talked about on here, because they do talk about us.

97r1QVi.png

Look, I fall within the camp on Conservative. I've never touched anyone. I've never harmed anyone. Hell, I also do charitable work from time to time.

And yet according to Resetera, I'm still evil, for no reason other than "all conservatives are evil". And if you were to ask Reset what this means or if they have any evidence, they would refuse to give you any.

Like, I really do find all this shit coming out from social media about "Conservatives are trained to hate" to be really fucking weird. Who is telling me to hate or make all these "minorities" lives miserable? I don't remember Commander Trump telling me "Ok fellow Conservatives. Go grab your sticks and start attacking every non-white person you see". The media keeps saying he does but I have never once heard this action before.
I'm not defending Resetera. I just shared my observation, that's all. There are so many things that we hate on internet/world, for example you did talk about north korea good for you:) But we all know why this thread getting more (17600-exact number) attention and i'm saying it looks bad(18000~post in 8,5 months, 2166 post monthly, 72 post daily, wtf).

BeforeU

I’d take a guess that anything other than “BeforeU is perfect” would not count as feedback to you. I wonder how you cope at work.

making shit up is not a feedback, there are already 10 other people who responded and if you read their comments, none of them said anything close to "I was perfect". Most of them criticized.

That is a difference.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So I've never been banned on ResetEra and I think I was only ever banned here once for making an off topic joke in a random thread like 10 years ago.

I don't have a particular axe to grind with ResetEra so much as I'm questioning my habit of posting on a board where you have to engage in performative anger across many issues to evade misunderstandings.

Further, I'm having trouble getting on board with some of the more radical concepts such as "all cops are bad", "the 2nd amendment should be abolished", "fuck white people", "cut out Republicans from your personal life (my wife voted for Trump so good luck with that)", and so on. The problem is that once those views are entrenched, that's how the moderation and ultimately the forum ethos will follow. This is especially true since those are issues that make people angry and that anger will drive moderation via reporting.

I don't see this as a successful long term solution to driving discourse among primarily leftist and left leaning individuals because most everything left of center on the political spectrum is very, very fractured. There's just not really a true way to genuinely unify all of those groups under one common set of beliefs. This becomes a major problem when there's a very loud subset of progressives who demand adherence to one particular flavor of thought inside such a large umbrella. So the only true winning move is to stifle discourse whenever it veers outside the most extreme position imaginable to cater to as many progressive movements as they can while causing the least offense.

Unfortunately by limiting discussion I think that can impair the individual growth of a mostly white and male user base. I have cited on numerous occasions that I have been grateful to my time at NeoGAF for broadening my perspective beyond that of my upbringing as a typical middle class suburban conservative white kid. To me there's value in that.

I don't believe that I could have experienced that under current ResetEra moderation and that's disappointing. In times of frustration with that board, I have wondered to myself why cis straight white men are even invited to join and post at all if the expectation is that everyone has either already adopted progressive views or is in a position of oppression themselves? I especially wonder that if we're really on board with "fuck white people" in particular?

As a result, I'm left in a position where I'm grateful for the experiences but I feel like the board is leaving me behind in a lot of ways politically and ethically and has been for a little now.

BeforeU

So I've never been banned on ResetEra and I think I was only ever banned here once for making an off topic joke in a random thread like 10 years ago.

I don't have a particular axe to grind with ResetEra so much as I'm questioning my habit of posting on a board where you have to engage in performative anger across many issues to evade misunderstandings.

Further, I'm having trouble getting on board with some of the more radical concepts such as "all cops are bad", "the 2nd amendment should be abolished", "fuck white people", "cut out Republicans from your personal life (my wife voted for Trump so good luck with that)", and so on. The problem is that once those views are entrenched, that's how the moderation and ultimately the forum ethos will follow. This is especially true since those are issues that make people angry and that anger will drive moderation via reporting.

I don't see this as a successful long term solution to driving discourse among primarily leftist and left leaning individuals because most everything left of center on the political spectrum is very, very fractured. There's just not really a true way to genuinely unify all of those groups under one common set of beliefs. This becomes a major problem when there's a very loud subset of progressives who demand adherence to one particular flavor of thought inside such a large umbrella. So the only true winning move is to stifle discourse whenever it veers outside the most extreme position imaginable to cater to as many progressive movements as they can while causing the least offense.

Unfortunately by limiting discussion I think that can impair the individual growth of a mostly white and male user base. I have cited on numerous occasions that I have been grateful to my time at NeoGAF for broadening my perspective beyond that of my upbringing as a typical middle class suburban conservative white kid. To me there's value in that.

I don't believe that I could have experienced that under current ResetEra moderation and that's disappointing. In times of frustration with that board, I have wondered to myself why cis straight white men are even invited to join and post at all if the expectation is that everyone has either already adopted progressive views or is in a position of oppression themselves? I especially wonder that if we're really on board with "fuck white people" in particular?

As a result, I'm left in a position where I'm grateful for the experiences but I feel like the board is leaving me behind in a lot of ways politically and ethically and has been for a little now.

man this post hits home. That was my biggest issue with Era, generalizing everything. If you don't agree, they literally pile on you. Its absurd. Few years ago I used to think GAF was a bubble, but now compare to ERA it's nothing lol

Last edited:

nush

I'm not defending Resetera. I just shared my observation, that's all. There are so many things that we hate on internet/world, for example you did talk about north korea good for you:) But we all know why this thread getting more (17600-exact number) attention and i'm saying it looks bad(18000~post in 8,5 months, 2166 post monthly, 72 post daily, wtf).

Now.... how many times have you posted already in a "WTF how many post in this topic"?

Ymir

Did they also take part in the peta protests on animal crossing if they're this concerned about not real animal cruelty?

That site looks like the scenario where artificial intelligence takes over the world. I found the topic about "Neogaf", 20-30% of those who commented on the topic were banned :) I love both sites, but I preferred to register for one, because the environment here is more fun. But talking about them in so many pages? I think it's awkward. Do you talk about North Korea or any other "bad" site that much?

I'll 100% admit that some people take their obsession with Era way too far. In the past, I might've counted as one of those people.

As for why there are so many pages, it's a combination of the connection Gaf and Era have and the perceived clout the site has in the industry. And while the latter may be an illusion, there's really no arguing that it's extremely active for a specialized hobby forum in 2020. And by being extremely active, you have plenty of material to point out just how on the fringes they are as far as the larger gaming community goes and internet culture in general.

What separates Era from North Korea is the rest of the world can actually look at the former and see how nuts these people are, yet for whatever reason will still get "official" validation in the form of journalists or leakers or whatever. And the thing is despite the draconian moderation, there actually are some good people there that stay out of sight. It'd be nice if there weren't and it was just a complete echo chamber all around, but in that case we wouldn't be paying attention to it in the same way we don't pay attention to 100% irrelevant entities like Gamerghazi that utilizes similar rhetoric.

At least that's the way I see it. People may have a different view for all I know.

Edit: Also, see this post I made after a certain influencer got bullied off the site. Some people also keep an eye on the place because they legit see it as a negative influence on the industry and are just salivating at the idea of it's inevitable collapse:

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog

97r1QVi.png

And one more thing: if Conservatives wanted to be complete bastards, why do we even have a justice system at all? Why do we allow freedom of speech? If Conservatives really wanted to be these "totalitarian anti-minority monsters" the media portrays us as, wouldn't we just prefer to have a dictatorship and execute anyone who disagrees with us?

Its really quite simple. They want the government to tax everyone who is successful and give it to everyone who is not. They want equality of outcome no matter that there is no equality of input.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They do seem to have a perverse love of cats and dogs there. I saw a guy catch a ban once for saying he'd punch a dog or a cat or something once.

I like my dog well enough. He's good. But he's just a dog at the end of the day.

nush

They do seem to have a perverse love of cats and dogs there. I saw a guy catch a ban once for saying he'd punch a dog or a cat or something once.

I like my dog well enough. He's good. But he's just a dog at the end of the day.

It's a forum full of perma infants who don't want to leave the nest, even thier support of minorities is probably influenced by Sesame Street presenters that were nice.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I love how they want to change the main character of Wolfenstein. Yeah, get rid of the only prominent Jewish character in gaming and replace him. Replace him like they did recently in Wolfenstein:Youngblood. Can anyone tell me what percent more of a Metacritic score did it get than any of the BJ Wolfenstein games?

Apparently Jewish people are upgraded to white on the colour chart.

Its the lefts nu-colorism i've been talking about for a while. No ethnicities, only colors of skin assimilated into american archetypes. If you look white you are a country club waspian, if you're brown you're african american and so on.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

My parents' dog is my best friend, but I frequently tell him that I'm going to abandon him in a McDonalds parking lot because I find it funny. So, I see both sides of the argument.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

I have a working theory that many trannies/gays and people who wish they were trannies/gays worship animals as their own children in some sort of perverse, hard left version of actual parenthood.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
man this post hits home. That was my biggest issue with Era, generalizing everything. If you don't agree, they literally pile on you. Its absurd. Few years ago I used to think GAF was a bubble, but now compare to ERA it's nothing lol

It seems like it has gotten worse as we have entered a new political cycle. Some things have me kinda scratching my head like how there's been thread after thread screaming bloody murder about Trump for like four fucking years. Now we have a presumptive nominee with Biden and we're apparently just a-okay with people effectively both-sides-ing the election by saying that both candidates are horrible. Then if you state that you're not voting for Biden in support of Reade, that essentially gave you carte blanche to be an asshole and you had an unchallengable position that other users were not allowed to question. Obviously that wouldn't be the case now with Reade losing credibility but that's not how the wind was blowing at the time.

That's just one aspect of the way things have been shaking out that have had me kinda doubting the exodus and what it was all about.

Today I was going back over the events of what happened and reading the article over at Vice about the NeoGAF drama. In hindsight, amir0x sucked and I don't think anyone would dispute that. But the rest of it? Yeah I dunno. Speaking from my own experience, sexual relationships are often ambiguous and I could imagine myself ending up in a similar scenario.

So what was it really about? Boredom? Change of scenery? It sure as hell wasn't a desire to return to a place dominated by more group think which, had I known, I may have not as been on board with the exodus to begin with.

But what is truly the cardinal sin to me is that posting on ResetERA just isn't fun anymore because of the overall atmosphere. I can handle some overly restrictive moderation if, at the end of the day, I'm at least getting some enjoyment out of the process. Because I'm sorry, I just don't think posting on any kind of social media is really some great and noble effort in the cause for change where everything has to be super serious. The most influence most any of us will ever have on the world will be at the ballot box and that's it. There's no important work being done by getting angry on a message board or Twitter or whatever.

ERA's approaching the point where if you don't demonstrate self-loathing as a white person, you're highly suspect and probably guilty of thought-crime, inherent racism, unchecked rampant privilege, etc. etc.

If the idea is to make a safe space for minorities to express frustrations on certain issues without discussion then why not just formalize it that way? Instead each thread has its own vagueness where you get to wonder "okay is this a thread where I can express my opinion or do I need to keep quiet because it's just for the venting of oppressed individuals?". Sometimes you don't know until the bans start!

Anyway I feel like my frustrations are a little all over the place and I've probably already put way too much thought into whatever hobbyist board I'm active on. I honestly have no clue what I'll do long term.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
If the idea is to make a safe space for minorities to express frustrations on certain issues without discussion then why not just formalize it that way? Instead each thread has its own vagueness where you get to wonder "okay is this a thread where I can express my opinion or do I need to keep quiet because it's just for the venting of oppressed individuals?". Sometimes you don't know until the bans start!

Anyway I feel like my frustrations are a little all over the place and I've probably already put way too much thought into whatever hobbyist board I'm active on. I honestly have no clue what I'll do long term.
On the bolded: because their staff deep down know they would lose 90% of their userbase if they were to formalize it that way.

Here's the thing: resetera's top dogs don't just want a safe space. They also want a platform to spread their ideas. They want to be heard by a larger userbase, and the power to influence them in order to, in their own twisted vision, make the world a better place. It's pure "I know what's best for you" dictatorship logic, further fueled by narcissism, hatred, powertripping, etc. They want to feel powerful over others, while being conscious-free that it's all justified for some greater good. They simplify reality to "good vs evil", so therefore they can constantly punish the "evil posters" without feeling guilty about it.

It's just a microcosm of cultist/ dictatorship behavior, and one that fortunately is just shrinking and slowly losing whatever little influence it had left on the gaming industry.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Minnesota riot thread is sure something right now all these keyboard warriors fapping at the thought of violence and posting bullshit articles on how violence is a good idea and banning anyone who doesn’t agree. Just all around a bunch of people trying to out stupid one another

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
From the Last of Us state of play thread:

QOU5wmy.png
Chelsea FC avatar. Poster supports a club with one of the most racist fanbases but is getting upset about killing a dog, which was done off off screen in the State of Play. 😂 Fuck minorities but I draw the line at killing dogs off screen. Every dog I kill in the game I'll name after a Chelsea player, John Terry is number 1, then Fat Frank.

Is that a hint for Naughty Dog's next game Animal Cruelty: New Horizons?

Last edited:
Those protests are not going to have the effect these people desire. We're going to be hearing about minority-owned businesses burned to the ground and fatalities tomorrow. Politicians are going to shift their attention from George to the other innocent deaths brought on by these riots, and leftist "icons" like Illhan Omar are already doing so.

People are constantly bringing up civil rights era in response, but we have an even more divided society right now and the demands of the extremists leading the charge aren't reasonable things like reform, it's literally burn everything down. If your most visible actors are anarchists with no regard for human life, then your cause is fucked from the beginning.

Edit: Also, civil rights era wasn't right in the middle of a damn pandemic.

Last edited:
Gonna be interesting to see how they balance the animal cruelty vs the supposedly lgbt friendly storyline

Wonder if the furries are going to want a summit if it swings the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom