• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

Exodist

Just finished this fucker on hard difficulty. It's my third time overall beating the game (done it twice on the Cube) and first time doing it on hard. I usually replay the Resi games a lot (done 1-3 about 10-15 times or so, Resi CVX like once because it's pretty shit) but replaying this one again kinda reminds me why I don't play this one as much. It's a decent game but the co-op/inventory management just makes the game tedious as hell. The resources were scarce on hard and I was pretty short on healing/ammo towards the end (and just after the train), but the shitty inventory management system doesn't add tension to the game, just frustration. I love item management and I appreciate the ability to drop items, I just wish there was an item box. Either way it was a pretty solid remaster, all the backgrounds were gorgeous even if, as others have said, the game lacks a bit of a personality compared to some of the other games. As of right now I'm kinda in the 'I'm never playing this game again' phase but I'll give Leech Hunter and Wesker mode a go.

Gave this game a test run before heading to bed yesterday on PC. I've beaten it on Gamecube before but I forgot a lot about this game. I'm using a DS4 and I was fooling around with the controls, but is anyone's right analog control for the partner kind of funky? I tried it with alternate controls and regular RE controls but going left on the analog makes my partner go into the background, right makes them walk toward the camera, up makes them walk left, and down is right. I don't remember the directions being this goofy. Is the DS4 right analog just swapped around or something for this game?

Just beaten the game on Normal with an S rank.
Got everything in Leech mode too. It's nice that you get everything in Leech mode when you have all 100.
It was different in the GC version, you had to get the amount of leeches you wanted to unlock the specific rank, with Zero HD it is far easier to get everything.

Mr_Zombie

I got my Origin DVD yesterday. And I think it turns out you have to install the game from DVD to get DLC costumes, because after activating and downloading RE0 through Steam I got nothing :( I received the DLC code today via e-mail.

I haven't played much yesterday, was only checking it out. From initial impressions:
- settings are wonky - I'm using keyboard and I tried customizing controls few times until I finally realized you have to confirm the customized controls and *then* assign them to either alternative or original controls; if you haven't done the later, controls are changed back to the default ones once you leave the menu which was very confusing;

- the issue with mouse cursor being constantly visible on screen (until you move it) is ridiculous; REmake HD had the same issue and I'm surprised they still haven't fixed it;

- during cut-scenes and FMVs audio is out of sync with video;

- backgrounds are beautiful; my god, I wish REmake HD had the same treatment;

- FMVs are also of surprisingly good quality; I remember REmake HD having a nice looking intro with other movies having a rather low quality;

- I really hope someone mod REmake Rebecca into the game. The new Rebecca is, as Billy would put it, a doll-face - long lashes and big green shiny eyes make her look unnatural. :/

- I forgot how ridiculous RE0 was with its cut-scenes during the first 10-15 minutes or so; you get a new cut-scene every few steps, including a few-seconds long FMV with Rebecca saying "What's just happen? I thought they were dead." :D

- also, RE0 cut-scenes are ugly - people in the intro (both passengers and Bravo Team members) look so plastic and unnatural;

This is the only 'mainline' RE title I haven't played. Gonna give it a shot, looking forward to it.

One question: in this RE is the knife a viable weapon to kill standard zombies?

Also, what tips for someone new to the game, but pretty familiar with the series in general.

This is the only 'mainline' RE title I haven't played. Gonna give it a shot, looking forward to it.

One question: in this RE is the knife a viable weapon to kill standard zombies?

Also, what tips for someone new to the game, but pretty familiar with the series in general.
I find this game to have the most useless knife of all time because zombies just won't stagger. You're better off never using it. Tips:

1) if you ever get a choice to, send Billy somewhere instead of Rebecca, she's made of paper.
2) post train light spoiler:
bring the hookshot with you to the facility after the train derails.
3) make lots of molotovs.
4) save fairly often, this game looooooves tossing saves right before parts that will get you killed if you aren't careful.
5) don't forget that Billy is an idiot that can't combine herbs.

Semajer

What's the deal with those Japan only t-shirts and why don't they get the other costume dlcs?

Dunno, something similar happened with Revelations 2. Japan got a couple of exclusive costumes.

If I wanna play on easy just for the hell of it, will it prevent me from unlocking anything when I finish the game?

If I recall correctly Easy isn't ranked, and you need an S Rank to unlock the unlimited rocket launcher. Plus Leech Hunter unlocks are tied to the save file you unlocked them on, and the save file is tied to the difficulty.

-MD-

I guess I lost the centipede fight by default because Rebecca had the bulk of my ammo on her. That's always fun.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The giant chessboard puzzle has to be one of the goofiest in RE history. Love it.

It ave me a chuckle as well, the only problem is that it was ridiculously easy. When I saw a chessboard I assumed it would be a challenging puzzle.

I guess I lost the centipede fight by default because Rebecca had the bulk of my ammo on her. That's always fun.

A lot of people fall into that trap, as they use Billy as their man and use Rebecca as a portable item box. It's ridiculous that the game gives you no recourse in that bit though.

-MD-

A lot of people fall into that trap, as they use Billy as their man and use Rebecca as a portable item box. It's ridiculous that the game gives you no recourse in that bit though.

Opposite for me, my problem was I was using Billy as my item box.

I knew something was gonna happen in that pit because it wouldn't let me drop an item but I didn't expect it to just totally lock me out of Rebecca. At the very least it should've scattered her guns and ammo on the ground when she got grabbed.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Opposite for me, my problem was I was using Billy as my item box.

I knew something was gonna happen in that pit because it wouldn't let me drop an item but I didn't expect it to just totally lock me out of Rebecca. At the very least it should've scattered her guns and ammo on the ground when she got grabbed.

There's one other time that it can happen, but it's a lot more obvious. I'll be vague here on account of spoilers, but there's an ominous location that you enter later. You can only take one character into this place. Be sure to load out accordingly.

It ave me a chuckle as well, the only problem is that it was ridiculously easy. When I saw a chessboard I assumed it would be a challenging puzzle.

Yeah it was way too easy lol. But having to push more giant ass chess pieces around would have been a pain.

Hoping for some more head scratching puzzles. The one to stop the train at the beginning isn't hard at all (unless you're really bad at mental math) but it's actually pretty brilliantly designed to create tension and stress. As much as the train is really a pretty dull area outside of the atmosphere, the climax to it is legit awesome.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So Steam pre-orders don't get the Cody outfit.

What a kick in the balls by Capcom. Capcom continues to drag their fans through the mud and expect them to love them.

Baha

So Steam pre-orders don't get the Cody outfit.

What a kick in the balls by Capcom. Capcom continues to drag their fans through the mud and expect them to love them.

I thought they would do something for people who owned both remake remastered and re 0 hd on steam.

SkylineRKR

Hands down the worst item management in the series.

I don't even bother to get the grenade launcher back, its shit anyway. Can do everything with shotgun, magnum and custom handgun from here on.

Lost quite some progress due to the AI dying during the
Proto Tyrant
fight. The first one I never been hit by during my 2 or 3 runs through this game way back. But the second is just bad because of AI help. I can probably get there within 15 minutes, I know the puzzles and I know what to leave behind but its still shit. I have to beat
Proto Tyrant 1
again.

Another place where you can fuck it up is at the library. I sent Billy, but I didn't send a heavy weapon with him (and they don't fit into those microwaves lol). The 2 Hunters spawn in a way that they cockblock the key item and stunlock you to death. I barely made it out.

Semajer

Sounds fun.

and interesting

How hard is it to unlock good weapons and unlimited ammo in leech hunter? I did it 14 years ago but....I can't remember, lol.

Depends on the difficulty and what weapons you go for first. I did it on Hard by getting the pattern with the SMG, I'd go for the grenade launcher first, then the shotgun, then the SMG. If you stick to killing zombies and spiders with the handgun, leechmen with the grenade launcher, eliminators and hunters with the SMG, and use the shotgun for certain rooms there is easily enough ammo to kill everything. I was able to kill everything and all the respawns with plenty of ammo left. Once it's all dead you can pick up the charms at your leisure.

I have a leech hunter question. I know that once you have 80 or so leeches that some enemies respawn. Do they infinitely respawn or do they only spawn just once. I'm trying to get the trophy for killing all of the enemies. I guess I have to save a lot of pistol ammo for the end game and go kill the remaining spawned enemies. There doesn't seem to be enough ammo for all that though.

Depends on the difficulty and what weapons you go for first. I did it on Hard by getting the pattern with the SMG, I'd go for the grenade launcher first, then the shotgun, then the SMG. If you stick to killing zombies and spiders with the handgun, leechmen with the grenade launcher, eliminators and hunters with the SMG, and use the shotgun for certain rooms there is easily enough ammo to kill everything. I was able to kill everything and all the respawns with plenty of ammo left. Once it's all dead you can pick up the charms at your leisure.

Thanks!

Can you backtrack to the
church
?

I left my grenade launcher behind, lol.

K' Dash

Hands down the worst item management in the series.

I don't even bother to get the grenade launcher back, its shit anyway. Can do everything with shotgun, magnum and custom handgun from here on.

Lost quite some progress due to the AI dying during the
Proto Tyrant
fight. The first one I never been hit by during my 2 or 3 runs through this game way back. But the second is just bad because of AI help. I can probably get there within 15 minutes, I know the puzzles and I know what to leave behind but its still shit. I have to beat
Proto Tyrant 1
again.

Another place where you can fuck it up is at the library. I sent Billy, but I didn't send a heavy weapon with him (and they don't fit into those microwaves lol). The 2 Hunters spawn in a way that they cockblock the key item and stunlock you to death. I barely made it out.

you read like you suck at this game, I like the item management better than magic boxes interconected.

TheSeks

If I recall correctly Easy isn't ranked, and you need an S Rank to unlock the unlimited rocket launcher. Plus Leech Hunter unlocks are tied to the save file you unlocked them on, and the save file is tied to the difficulty.

Which is pretty bullshit. But not as bullshit as unlocking two outfits for Jill/Chris unlocking invisible One Dangerous Zombie mode that you CAN'T FUCKING TURN OFF in REbirth.

TheSeks

I thought they would do something for people who owned both remake remastered and re 0 hd on steam.

That's what wbacon said here. But then

The standalone Costume Pack 2 was a retail version pre-order freebie for the Origins Collection while the digital copy of RE0 received the Costume Pack 1 as the freebie offer. They're both time-exclusive to the respective distribution models, but naturally will become available separately at a later date.

To provide some context as to what contributed to the confusion, we were actively pursuing a digital 'soft bundle' version of the Origins Collection on Steam prior to the pre-order kickoff. Unfortunately, we had to drop the soft bundle idea at the last minute due to a number of logistical/marketing reasons and time constraints before everything had to be locked down tight across all five platforms.

I do recall commenting here sometime early in December that we may do a Steam soft bundle of the Origins Collection, and that that should be a viable method to obtain Costume Pack 2 as an alternative digital pre-order offer.
In hindsight, I could have a) phrased it better, and b) followed up on that post after the deal fell through. My sincere apologies on that. Not trying to make excuses, but things certainly have gotten very hectic right before the holiday season, and launching DDDA and RE0 on Steam back to back certainly didn't do us any favors. Again, I am very sorry for the confusion this may have caused. Specific timing is TBD, but CP1 and CP2 should become purchasable separately roughly a month from now. At the end of the day, we have no intention to permanently lock out pre-order DLCs.

But NOPE. You have to pay for that shit despite buying digital and supporting Capcom day-1, TWICE.

I'll wait for a Steam sale, I guess.

DSmalls84

So I have the digital version on ps4 and also bought the origins collection. Are the preorder costumes exclusive to each version? I have the digital version installed but the costume pack that came with the origins collection won't install. It still has a preorder timer on it that stopped at 0 minutes. Any ideas?

Ganado

That's what wbacon said here. But then

But NOPE. You have to pay for that shit despite buying digital and supporting Capcom day-1, TWICE.

I'll wait for a Steam sale, I guess.
Point out the part where he said that you'd get something for buying both, because I don't see it.

braves01

Banned
Holy fuck these ape enemies are awful. How do I deal with them???

They suck. Just run, but I think a couple fire grenade rounds takes them down on normal.

---

I need some help. *mid-game spoiler*
I'm in the facility after fighting the bat. I've used to hookshot to get upstairs with Billy and Rebecca is downstairs. I've got a tube with a leech in it, but there's a substance on it. I've got the red chemical with Rebecca, but I can't figure out how to get her the green one to make a stripping agent. I vaguely recall seeing something back in the bigger mansion, but I don't want to go back if I don't have to. I could just fight the bat again and hookshot Rebecca up I think.

So a good friend on my steam friends list mysteriously gifted me this and DR2:OTR, I've decided to make an LP out of this as I revisit this game from having not played it since the gamecube era.

That said it's probably one of my favorite resident evil games and was such a surprise after they made REmake. Unfortunately, instead of making REmake 2 they made this game instead which I remember people complaining about series fatigue and whatnot back then.

I loved it though because it was a modern classic RE games and one of the last of its ilk until now with Capcom doing the REmake 2(and I hope REmake 3 with all my heart because I want to see nemesis redone on modern platforms in a classic RE).

I honestly hope that by the time remake 2 happens and if it goes super successful and is really as good as REmake, a new resident evil in the same style for RE7 or 8. Return to those roots capcom! THEY ARE SO GOOD.

Do I need to bring the
hookshot with me after the laboratory?
I don't believe so. I think the last area you use it is the
hole underneath the room that powered the cable car

Edit: also, Braves, I think the green chemical will appear if Rebecca is on the top floor, but if Billy is sent up then you have to back track.

Edit2: also if you need to back track the green chemical is in the room closest to the chess puzzle.

LegendX48

Finally beat this game for the first time ever lol

Not bad but the item system is irritating... like really, really, REALLY irritating. Shotguns and whatnot occupy two slots for no reason and then there's that annoying hookshot that just eats up inventory space... spent more time than I'd have liked just backtracking to drop items in different places over and over again.

Doesn't hold a candle to REmake though. Anywho... is there a door skip mod for 0 yet?

Markitron

Holy fuck these ape enemies are awful. How do I deal with them???

Use your shotgun and hope for the best. They are essentially Hunters with lower damage. DO NOT use your flame rounds on them, you will need them coming up.

Semajer

I have a leech hunter question. I know that once you have 80 or so leeches that some enemies respawn. Do they infinitely respawn or do they only spawn just once. I'm trying to get the trophy for killing all of the enemies. I guess I have to save a lot of pistol ammo for the end game and go kill the remaining spawned enemies. There doesn't seem to be enough ammo for all that though.

They spawn in about 5 rooms when you pick up 90 leeches. They do not respawn after this and they are all zombies with the exception of one room with plague crawlers. On the pattern I did it on at least.

Thanks!

Can you backtrack to the
church
?

I left my grenade launcher behind, lol.

Yes. If you are just after the
church
but haven't turned on the
cable car
you should probably go and get it now via the elevator and keep it on the floor or
Rebecca
. Either way you unlock a shortcut later that will take you back to where the
train crashed.

Top Bottom