• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

They spawn in about 5 rooms when you pick up 90 leeches. They do not respawn after this and they are all zombies with the exception of one room with plague crawlers. On the pattern I did it on at least.

Yes. If you are just after the
church
but haven't turned on the
cable car
you should probably go and get it now via the elevator and keep it on the floor or
Rebecca
. Either way you unlock a shortcut later that will take you back to where the
train crashed.

Oh shit, I'm already at the second
tyrant
fight. So, too late to get the grenade launcher? Damn :(

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Oh shit, I'm already at the second
tyrant
fight. So, too late to get the grenade launcher? Damn :(

You can still get it, but it's gonna be a pain as Zombies will have spawned on your route back. You are gonna need it for the final boss.

Fractal

Banned
Ugh... just killed the
tyrant and explored a good chunk of the treatment facility
, then on my way to the save room as Rebecca I got jumped by some
frog thing
, instant killing me and taking a good chunk of progress with it. This sucks... but all in all, it's a good game, aside from the inventory management which can get tedious.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Oh shit ^^
Thanks, that's going to be a long journey :p

Take the main elevator to the first floor, this will bring you to where the train crashed, from there it's only 2 rooms away. From the training facility lobby take the upstairs door on the right and then the first door you come to after that.

SkylineRKR

Yeah the level design makes little sense but for the sake of gameplay its pretty good. You never really have to travel for ages, even though there are a handful different areas.

Beat the game yesterday. The first part of the final boss was a pain, took me 2 tries in fact. The problem with this game is how the fights start and how dumb the AI is. The rest of the battle was ridiculously easy. A part of the cable car also starts so that you'll likely be grabbed and be near danger status.

Handgun shines in RE0. Used Billy's custom handgun throughout the whole game. I stunlocked crawlers with it.

Take the main elevator to the first floor, this will bring you to where the train crashed, from there it's only 2 rooms away. From the training facility lobby take the upstairs door on the right and then the first door you come to after that.

The elevator at the first
proto tyrant
fight takes you back to where the
train crashed

You're absolutely right. Totally forgot this ;)

Starting to get annoyed with the inventory system. Not being able to place more in one room and having clutter everywhere and having to do a second run back to a place to get all the items is ugh.

They suck.
Just run, but I think a couple fire grenade rounds takes them down on normal.

Use your shotgun and hope for the best. They are essentially Hunters with lower damage. DO NOT use your flame rounds on them, you will need them coming up.

Gotcha thanks.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Boss 1 Down. Current Ammo left: I think i should drop the grenade launcher for now. Im playing Easy/Normal mode at the same time so i can get a feel of what i need to do on easy mode, and speed thru it on normal mode. Not tripping over ammo in normal mode tho, lol.

B7015EDCEC3E70CA84790B6481CAC211D1699DA1

8F2C50E168160CD093BE3F994E65ABD003F71FC0

What the hell is up with the Origins Collection game being out of stock fucking everywhere? It just came out. Did Capcom produce very few copies? Amazon, Vidéotron and even motherfucking Wal-Mart can't have the game.

I'm in Canada, btw.

braves01

Banned
I wrapped it up earlier today. I understand why people rank it lower among the RE games, but I still had a lot of fun with it. I think the perception that it's mediocre says more about the quality of the other games in the series than about RE0's quality. Regardless, the quality of the remaster is apparent. It looks fantastic and it seems like the extra modes might be worth checking out.

I don't believe so. I think the last area you use it is the
hole underneath the room that powered the cable car

Edit: also, Braves, I think the green chemical will appear if Rebecca is on the top floor, but if Billy is sent up then you have to back track.

Edit2: also if you need to back track the green chemical is in the room closest to the chess puzzle.

Thanks, I ended up just going back. Next time I play through I'll have to be more diligent about always picking up the chemicals.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
What the hell is up with the Origins Collection game being out of stock fucking everywhere? It just came out. Did Capcom produce very few copies? Amazon, Vidéotron and even motherfucking Wal-Mart can't have the game.

I'm in Canada, btw.

Got the last PS4 copy today here in Texas. Did Capcom underestimate the demand for the disk versions i wonder?

Just finished leech mode. collected all 100 leeches. Unlocked unlimited ammo. Can i use unlimited Ammo on hard mode? I beat the game on normal the first time around.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Point out the part where he said that you'd get something for buying both, because I don't see it.

Really?

Point out the part where he said that you'd get something for buying both, because I don't see it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188473505&postcount=648 said:
Origins Collection will be offered as a 'soft' bundle on Steam starting Jan. 19th. Purchasing the OC package will simply add RE1HD and RE0HD as separate apps on your library list; in other words, there isn't a separate entry for Origins Collection within the Steam library list.

With that said, you technically can pre-purchase OC by getting RE1HD today (and start playing it right away) and pre-purchase RE0HD separately ;)

The standalone Costume Pack 2 was a retail version pre-order freebie for the Origins Collection while the digital copy of RE0 received the Costume Pack 1 as the freebie offer. They're both time-exclusive to the respective distribution models, but naturally will become available separately at a later date.

To provide some context as to what contributed to the confusion, we were actively pursuing a digital 'soft bundle' version of the Origins Collection on Steam prior to the pre-order kickoff. Unfortunately, we had to drop the soft bundle idea at the last minute due to a number of logistical/marketing reasons and time constraints before everything had to be locked down tight across all five platforms.

I do recall commenting here sometime early in December that we may do a Steam soft bundle of the Origins Collection, and that that should be a viable method to obtain Costume Pack 2 as an alternative digital pre-order offer.
In hindsight, I could have a) phrased it better, and b) followed up on that post after the deal fell through. My sincere apologies on that. Not trying to make excuses, but things certainly have gotten very hectic right before the holiday season, and launching DDDA and RE0 on Steam back to back certainly didn't do us any favors. Again, I am very sorry for the confusion this may have caused. Specific timing is TBD, but CP1 and CP2 should become purchasable separately roughly a month from now. At the end of the day, we have no intention to permanently lock out pre-order DLCs.

So: Essentially, they said "buy both of them seperately and you'll pretty much be getting what the retail Collection would give you."

Everyone assumed this would work on Steam buying separately because he said "technically it's the same thing." However, at launch? NOPE. And even if you want to spend the $10(!) to get the two outfits for Costume Pack 2 on Steam: You can't. Basically, Capcom said "yeah, support us day-1 and you'll get the same stuff as a retail collection" but nope.

---

Oh here's a good video on the leech hunter kill trophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPLomeNNqXI

That's not bad, but apparently he cuts out sections with zombies because "you should be able to deal with those." I'd rather he showed the entire run/enemy rooms to let people have a good heads-up and review before doing it themselves with all the enemies shown instead of the "more hidden and harder ones."

Oh wait, he does go through most of the rooms. Durr. Been a while since I've done the minigame.

Like half-way in he's going "oh you'll be nearly done" but he hasn't gone through the entire facility or shown the normal ones.

Goddamn - am I ever glad I stuck with this. It can definitely have it's immensely frustrating moments, but I have to say I'm enjoying this muuuuch more than I remember on Gamecube. Can't hurt that it looks so wonderful.

Will post more detailed impressions later.

Aww, it seems there is no Type C control in this one. I wonder why they left it out? A real bummer, I love Type C. What's the closest control type that comes close?

Bl@de

One question for the people already playing it. Does the game have Dualshock prompts? I like using the DS4 with my PC but I need correct icons (yeah yeah, first world problems^^). MGSV with a DS4 and the button prompt mod is awesome :)

Timmy00

Damn I missed getting an S rank on hard mode by 15 minutes :( I'll probably try to get it on normal mode while trying to get the no healing or saving trophy also with infinite ammo. RE0 has quite a few flaws and annoying enemy quirks (hate how zombies kinda still grab you when you run past them even after they lunged, don't remember it being like that in RE1) but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

Got the 100 leeches.

I might do a run on Easy to see if I can get all the no-hit and knife trophies. I've forgotten, but if I change difficulty with New Game, do I still get the unlocked weapons from Leech Hunter?

Corpekata

Banned
One question for the people already playing it. Does the game have Dualshock prompts? I like using the DS4 with my PC but I need correct icons (yeah yeah, first world problems^^). MGSV with a DS4 and the button prompt mod is awesome :)

It's an old game. There really aren't many prompts at all in general.

Nemesis_

what the fuck Hard Mode is so fucking hard

what's the best way to approach the centurion? I have like, no ammo and I'm only in the facility main hall or whatever

Just gonna have to abandon my idea of an S-Rank Hard No-Heal run and just go for completion, fuck

Markitron

what's the best way to approach the centurion? I have like, no ammo and I'm only in the facility main hall or whatever

Just gonna have to abandon my idea of an S-Rank Hard No-Heal run and just go for completion, fuck

Is this your first time through? If so I'd say abandon your crazy difficult run and just try to enjoy the game.

Semajer

You should have access to the shotgun and grenade launcher at this point.

I've been playing RE0 on normal and going through the game as a first experience (never played it before), and man, I have to rank it low among RE games. Possibly lowest of the old school style.

I love tank controls, but I feel like this game isn't built well with it in mind. So enemies like the bug things or the monkeys are annoying to fight. The leech zombie, while cool, is again just annoying and you just run by them and hope you don't get hit. In contrast, hunters are still cool.

Boss-wise, I don't think I've fought anything really interesting.

I don't like the item management and drop system. Since you have no idea what's coming up, I won't carry the grenade launcher or even the shotgun at times, which then involves an annoying amount of backtracking, as opposed to having a handy item chest nearby. The fact that they take 2 slots from 6 per person is also frustrating. Then you have the bloody hook gun.

I don't like the partner system either. Switching back and forth gets boring. Babysitting your partner who can get stuck or doesn't smartly avoid stuff is annoying. I think I've had to run through areas twice with both characters, one by one, just to avoid either getting hit. Then you have instances where the person with the shotgun/grenade launcher gets taken out, meaning you either suffer by running by stuff or reload the game with the future knowledge in mind. It doesn't help that I'm beginning to really hate co-op puzzles too.

Once I finish (probs about 80% done), I'm probably never playing it again.

I've been playing RE0 on normal and going through the game as a first experience (never played it before), and man, I have to rank it low among RE games. Possibly lowest of the old school style.

I love tank controls, but I feel like this game isn't built well with it in mind. So enemies like the bug things or the monkeys are annoying to fight. The leech zombie, while cool, is again just annoying and you just run by them and hope you don't get hit. In contrast, hunters are still cool.

I don't like the item management and drop system. Since you have no idea what's coming up, I won't carry the grenade launcher or even the shotgun at times, which then involves an annoying amount of backtracking, as opposed to having a handy item chest nearby. The fact that they take 2 slots from 6 per person is also frustrating. Then you have the bloody hook gun.

I don't like the partner system either. Switching back and forth gets boring. Babysitting your partner who can get stuck or doesn't smartly avoid stuff is annoying. I think I've had to run through areas twice with both characters, one by one, just to avoid either getting hit. Then you have instances where the person with the shotgun/grenade launcher gets taken out, meaning you either suffer by running by stuff or reload the game with the future knowledge in mind. It doesn't help that I'm beginning to really hate co-op puzzles too.

Hmm...you're criticising things that you can find in other old school RE's as well (controls, item management, running by enemies, etc). Are you sure you like sruvival horror? ;)

Audioboxer

I've never played RE0 before either, and I don't doubt I'll much prefer REmake (which I've completed), but I'm still looking forward to playing it later today.

I am anxious about the co-op/partner switching stuff. I hated it in RE5. I much prefer two independent campaigns, like Jill/Chris.

Markitron

Hmm...you're criticising things that you can find in other old school RE's as well (controls, item management, running by enemies, etc). Are you sure you like sruvival horror? ;)

Seems to me that his main criticisms are the partner swapping and inventory system, both of which are quite unique in RE0. I like the game but completely agree with him, take the centipede boss for example. If Rebecca just happens to have certain weapons/ammo on here when the fight begins you have no option but to reload your save. That's just bad game design.

Mr_Zombie

Not really, previous RE games had better item managment by having magic item boxes and either not having weapons that take two inventory slots or having more than 6 slots per character. In RE0 if you want to have both shotgun and pistol with you, you already fill 4-5 slots (depending on whether you bring ammo for only one or both guns with you) out of 6 available spaces. And the second character also has to be equipped with (at least) a single weapon and ammo, since you never know when you will have to go alone. Add healing items and it's easy to see why the item managment sucks here :/

Ganado

Really?

So: Essentially, they said "buy both of them seperately and you'll pretty much be getting what the retail Collection would give you."

Everyone assumed this would work on Steam buying separately because he said "technically it's the same thing." However, at launch? NOPE. And even if you want to spend the $10(!) to get the two outfits for Costume Pack 2 on Steam: You can't. Basically, Capcom said "yeah, support us day-1 and you'll get the same stuff as a retail collection" but nope.
So, okay, I admit I just quick read the second response from wbacon and missed some parts, my fault. However, I don't really see where he said that you'd get Costume Pack 2 in the first post he made.

The guy was asking for Origins Collection, and wbacon said how to get it on Steam right now, by seperately buying both games, but he never said that it would come with both costume packs. I don't see why he is blaming himself for that when he clarified how to get the OC package digitally, the one that would've been sold at Steam on release. It also was kinda obvious that one pack was retail and one was digital. Why did everyone expect that you'd get BOTH Costume Packs?

Seems to me that his main criticisms are the partner swapping and inventory system, both of which are quite unique in RE0. I like the game but completely agree with him, take the centipede boss for example. If Rebecca just happens to have certain weapons/ammo on here when the fight begins you have no option but to reload your save. That's just bad game design.

Not really, previous RE games had better item managment by having magic item boxes and either not having weapons that take two inventory slots or having more than 6 slots per character. In RE0 if you want to have both shotgun and pistol with you, you already fill 4-5 slots (depending on whether you bring ammo for only one or both guns with you) out of 6 available spaces. And the second character also has to be equipped with (at least) a single weapon and ammo, since you never know when you will have to go alone. Add healing items and it's easy to see why the item managment sucks here :/

Ah, yeah you're both right. I also think item boxes were better but I don't have any problems with the new item system tbh.
Weapons filling two item slots a very annoying though.

The game would be better off had there been one item box per major area. The move to the next area after the training facility is ridiculous. I can't reasonably take everything with me, especially with the items that take up two slots (why?)

I don't think it's a bad game and the item dropping mechanic doesn't bother me too much within a single area, but once it's time to move on it becomes a hassle. I'm worried I won't be able to take the three red/green herb combos I brought with me.

The game would be better off had there been one item box per major area. The move to the next area after the training facility is ridiculous. I can't reasonably take everything with me, especially with the items that take up two slots (why?)

I don't think it's a bad game and the item dropping mechanic doesn't bother me too much within a single area, but once it's time to move on it becomes a hassle. I'm worried I won't be able to take the three red/green herb combos I brought with me.

You will unlock a shortcut :p

Yeah the more I play the more the flaws become really apparent, mainly in the inventory and partner system. They're cool ideas that when they work well are awesome, but have too many things that just break them and make them really big annoyances. Stilll having fun with it though

After finishing this a few days ago for the first time and being underwhelmed by it, I was yearning to play a good RE game like crazy. I actually went and got the platinum for REmake HD.

Even while doing knife runs, speed runs, or Real Survival runs you can still see just how well designed the game is, and how tough but fair it remains. And this was my first time doing those sort of runs as well.

Compare to 0 where I would never touch a speedrun with a 10 foot pole unless I got an infinite magnum for it. It's just really obnoxiously designed in a few key ways.

Overall I don't necessarily think 0 is bad, just shockingly average. If you liked the classic trilogy, I'd probably say it's worth playing at least once. Just don't expect anything as good or as well designed. It sure looks purdy though.

Mr_Zombie

I'm trying to leave the hook shot in the safe room. Why won't it drop?

Each room has a limit on how many items it can hold. Some (smaller ones) can only hold few items, others (like the main hall in the training facility) - a dozen or so. Maybe there's simply no more place in the room you are in.

I remember, when I played the game for the first time, when I was about to move from the Training Facility to the next area, I did a couple of rounds there and back to move everything. No one told me anything about a shortcut.

Nemesis_

Can people confirm whether or not the final boss has hit stun?

Like if I just unload all my magnum rounds without pause, will it do damage? Or is it better to space them out?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I just realized picking up items gives you invincibility frames. I think I just broke a few bosses/tougher enemies. Proto Tyrant didnt even touch me.

Top Bottom