• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

braves01

Banned
Is the "Put on the Team Wesker costume" trophy for beating the game on Wesker mode? It's fun blowing up zombies with the death stare, but I think I'll stop soon if I don't have to beat it for this trophy.

Audioboxer

Forced co-op starts early and the first boss seems to be an out of place and uninspiring scorpion.

Uh-oh, this isn't looking good...

Ooccoo

Forced co-op starts early and the first boss seems to be an out of place and uninspiring scorpion.

The whole game isn't really good IMO. Uninspiring monster design, tedious item management, "fuck you" moments (Rebecca being grabbed by a boss, tough luck if you had switched your weapons to her), Leech Guy being a real pain in the ass, atrocious story even by RE standards, etc. It's just a mediocre game, always has been. I liked the train part, but the next step is just more of the same. Coop was a great idea until you realize it's just not working well in the game.

Audioboxer

The whole game isn't really good IMO. Uninspiring monster design, tedious item management, "fuck you" moments (Rebecca being grabbed by a boss, tough luck if you had switched your weapons to her), Leech Guy being a real pain in the ass, atrocious story even by RE standards, etc. It's just a mediocre game, always has been. I liked the train part, but the next step is just more of the same. Coop was a great idea until you realize it's just not working well in the game.

Gutted, the FMV intro seemed okay. Was hoping for a good setup to RE1, and getting to visit the mansion briefly (which I think you do get to do?).

The leeches, and the weird guy (I assume leech guy) are pretty horrific story wise. Cheesy as heck, even for RE standards.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

You are not gonna like the rest of it so, it doesn't really get any better. Each environment is fairly uninspired.

Gutted, the FMV intro seemed okay. Was hoping for a good setup to RE1, and getting to visit the mansion briefly (which I think you do get to do?).

The leeches, and the weird guy (I assume leech guy) are pretty horrific story wise. Cheesy as heck, even for RE standards.

My biggest problem was that it feels completely disconnected from RE1. Apparently this was intentional to set up a new storyline (the progenitor virus), but it wasn't what I wanted.

The leech enemies can be avoided, or taken down with Molotovs or flame rounds. Don't bother wasting any other type of ammo on them.

Jawmuncher

Is the "Put on the Team Wesker costume" trophy for beating the game on Wesker mode? It's fun blowing up zombies with the death stare, but I think I'll stop soon if I don't have to beat it for this trophy.

You need to finish the Wesker Mode first. When you finish it, you will unlock a new costume. Now, load any save and change your costume to the Team Wesker costume.
http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/resident-evil-0/achievement/111501-Welcome-to-Team-Wesker.html

braves01

Banned

I actually think it's much less cheesy than Code Veronica. And if you hate the leech guy, firstly just run by him and secondly, just wait until you get to the
monkeys

Anung

Un Rama
Doing a no healing items run (includes green chemical) but I need to use it to make the stripping agent? is it okay to use it for that or is there another way to make it?

Audioboxer

You are not gonna like the rest of it so, it doesn't really get any better. Each environment is fairly uninspired.

My biggest problem was that it feels completely disconnected from RE1. Apparently this was intentional to set up a new storyline (the progenitor virus), but it wasn't what I wanted.

The leech enemies can be avoided, or taken down with Molotovs or flame rounds. Don't bother wasting any other type of ammo on them.

That sucks... was hoping for the opposite.

I actually think it's much less cheesy than Code Veronica. And if you hate the leech guy, firstly just run by him and secondly, just wait until you get to the
monkeys

Oh great, I can't wait. Sounds like an amazing enemy -_-

It gets a lot better after the train

I'm going to play it all the way through, but I'm gutted it isn't seemingly going to be what I wanted it to be. A good prequel to RE1.

Semajer

Doing a no healing items run (includes green chemical) but I need to use it to make the stripping agent? is it okay to use it for that or is there another way to make it?

The green chemical can be used like a blue herb to heal poison. You're okay as long as you don't try to use it by itself.

The train is the best part.

Although the stretch after the church until the treatment facility was pretty fun too.

I only just beat the training facility so I guess I can't speak to the quality of the whole game, but I thought I the train was pretty bad. The atmosphere is cool and so is the climax to it, but it basically just plays like really dull tutorial. The level design is uninteresting and progression is truncated by lots of backtracking for items and such which is particularly bad because you have to sit through door or stair animations every 5 feet. The training facility is creepier and feels more like traditional RE by opening up a lot more. I thought it was a solid area with some particularly cool areas and gameplay sections, great music, and it was just fun to explore.

I'm going to play it all the way through, but I'm gutted it isn't seemingly going to be what I wanted it to be. A good prequel to RE1.

Yeah that's not the expectation to go in with. The story seems very focused on umbrella but is super goofy but I don't really care about the story at all anyway. It's not as good as the other classic RE games thus far but it's not bad. It has some cool ideas that are maybe implemented roughly, and it's nice to see another RE game with the visual direction like REmake.

Seems to me that his main criticisms are the partner swapping and inventory system, both of which are quite unique in RE0. I like the game but completely agree with him, take the centipede boss for example. If Rebecca just happens to have certain weapons/ammo on here when the fight begins you have no option but to reload your save. That's just bad game design.

That indeed happened to me. I could even accept that boss design given the novelty of it. Although if when the centipede drops Rebecca, she gets up and is controllable the fight could've been much better. As it was, it was a really nothing boss fight.

They keep reusing that concept though. And by some miracle, the person who was taken out always has the shotgun in my playthrough. It's also annoying knowing that a split section might have tougher enemies down one path, but because you aren't sure (or maybe you just like using someone more), you can end up having Rebecca face the tougher fights.

And while RE stories are usually cheesy, they are usually fun and the character interaction is fun. I think individually, Rebecca and Billy are cool. But in the game, I feel nothing watching them interact. And there's really no one else of note. The fact that it's a prequel that is also trying to set up a backstory for a number of people doesn't help it stand out. It adds to other games in the series, but does nothing for RE0.

Audioboxer

I only just beat the training facility so I guess I can't speak to the quality of the whole game, but I thought I the train was pretty bad. The atmosphere is cool and so is the climax to it, but it basically just plays like really dull tutorial. The level design is uninteresting and progression is truncated by lots of backtracking for items and such which is particularly bad because you have to sit through door or stair animations every 5 feet. The training facility is creepier and feels more like traditional RE by opening up a lot more. I thought it was a solid area with some particularly cool areas and gameplay sections, great music, and it was just fun to explore.

Yeah that's not the expectation to go in with. The story seems very focused on umbrella but is super goofy but I don't really care about the story at all anyway. It's not as good as the other classic RE games thus far but it's not bad. It has some cool ideas that are maybe implemented roughly, and it's nice to see another RE game with the visual direction like REmake.

Yeah the train is pretty garbage. RE1 was much better, gave an illusion of a big space, but tunneled you via early locked doors. This just feels like backtracking through a few narrow corridors.

Would have much preferred something in the woods not far from the mansion. I guess considering I'm only just about to finish the train section wherever I end up next will somehow explain why we needed to be on a train. Initially I thought it was going to be investigating a stationary train as well.

Anung

Un Rama
The green chemical can be used like a blue herb to heal poison. You're okay as long as you don't try to use it by itself.

Woo!

Just finished a no-save no-healing items run where Rebecca kills all the bosses. Might actually try and get this platinum.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I guess considering I'm only just about to finish the train section wherever I end up next will somehow explain why we needed to be on a train. Initially I thought it was going to be investigating a stationary train as well.

There's a few notes on the Train that explain where it's going and why.
AFAIK they were Umbrella employees on their way to the old training facility to investigate and re-open it.

Audioboxer

There's a few notes on the Train that explain where it's going and why. AFAIK they were Umbrella employees on their way to the old training facility to investigate and re-open it.

True, I've read some of the notes. I know within whatever story there is it will make sense, it just didn't get me feeling RE vibes being on a moving train :/

demigod

Dumb part of the story is
Marcus going after Rebecca/Billy instead of Wesker/Birkin. If someone kills me I sure as hell will go after THEM first. Was it ever explained why he didn't go after them?

Mr_Zombie

Dumb part of the story is
Marcus going after Rebecca/Billy instead of Wesker/Birkin. If someone kills me I sure as hell will go after THEM first. Was it ever explained why he didn't go after them?

Marcus: *watching Rebecca and Billy over the monitor* I have already claimed this place for myself, which means you are trespassing and I am very territorial. *evil laugh*

:p

But yeah, if you think about that, it is incredibly stupid.

Markitron

The zombies I can deal with, makes sense the passengers are in the carriages. It's the scorpion I'm just like... what -_-

Yea that was kinda ridiculous, they try to explain it away with a note, but that just makes it worse. Most of my best RE memories are the boss fights, they are not usually challenging but are usually memorable. The bosses are among RE0's low points.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Cutting it real close there.Had to go all the way back to the bat area to get my launcher. Cost me a lot of time.

87653D051DB6A914830EC1D9BA07882B00FA6E59

Easy to forget, but this game is the reason most people were absolutely begging for Resident Evil 4.

Resident Evil 0 killed the old style games and people were desperate for something new.

HeelPower

Anyone else feels the shooting and weight of movement/animation are far better in REmake?

Not that they're bad here by any means,They're kind of a step back.

Psymatiq

Neo Member

RE0 Tells where the virus breach startet and Birkins involvment. Before RE0 he pretty much was just a dad doing his work and dying which turned him into a monster. After re0 he was a monster before and after.

The connection to resident evil 2 was awesome even tho the geography doesnt make sense. Then again we are talking Resident Evil its a B movie game it`s just how it was made from the getgo, and how i personally love it.

SkylineRKR

Easy to forget, but this game is the reason most people were absolutely begging for Resident Evil 4.

Resident Evil 0 killed the old style games and people were desperate for something new.

When it came out on GC, I felt the series had become stale. It was done, Zero tried some forced AI co-op but other than that was completely unoriginal in locations, gameplay and level design. I don't think I could stomach another one like it back then.

RE4 came out at the right time. That it had little to do with classic RE in terms of plot was sort of disappointing but its the RE game I still find the most fun to replay. To me RE4 is easily the best game in the series.

RE has always been a shooter. You're packed with weaponry in each game soon enough. Dino Crisis 1 is the best RE game, that one was about surviving. Enemies leapt over fences, trailed your blood and you had to make your shots count and judge where to waste them on.

Audioboxer

Yea that was kinda ridiculous, they try to explain it away with a note, but that just makes it worse. Most of my best RE memories are the boss fights, they are not usually challenging but are usually memorable. The bosses are among RE0's low points.

Precisely. I've never really cared much about the challenge itself, but how the bosses seem to fit with the environment they are in.

I mean the sharks aren't really a main boss of RE, but they fit awesomely with the water and become a memorable moment. Better examples would probably be the plant, and even the snake (it resided in the attic, and the attic basically became its den).

It's not so much a scorpion couldn't somehow fit into a RE game, but a scorpion entering through the roof of a moving train... It doesn't fit in anyway. They should just have made the other STARS member into a mini-boss, rather than just a tougher zombie. I enjoyed that small encounter, but it could have been engineered into some sort of boss and be more memorable than a big (and rather boringly designed) scorpion coming out of nowhere.

Audioboxer

Okay so setting wise the research facility is much better than the train. Although it's just a clone of the RE1 mansion and a weaker effort at that.

The centipede boss though, awful. It's a really poor clone of the snake.

neonille

When it came out on GC, I felt the series had become stale. It was done, Zero tried some forced AI co-op but other than that was completely unoriginal in locations, gameplay and level design. I don't think I could stomach another one like it back then.

RE4 came out at the right time. That it had little to do with classic RE in terms of plot was sort of disappointing but its the RE game I still find the most fun to replay. To me RE4 is easily the best game in the series.

RE has always been a shooter. You're packed with weaponry in each game soon enough. Dino Crisis 1 is the best RE game, that one was about surviving. Enemies leapt over fences, trailed your blood and you had to make your shots count and judge where to waste them on.

Umm...no..I don't agree, that's like saying Battlefield is a racing game because there's vehicles in it. Maybe you should try a higher difficulty?

Never been a huge fan of RE4, i get why they had to do it because yes, the series was getting a little stale but they didn't have to change the game so drastically....

REmake is the best, without a doubt.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Plotwise I've always had a problem with how it connects to RE1. So the helicopter crash lands, they get...on a train that goes far away, then they end up in a training facility, escape, and...then escape into a mansion? Isn't the scale totally off here?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really, really want to love this game, but after playing REmake it feels fundamentally flawed by comparison. The partner zapping and item management are a huge chore and the story is zany even by RE standards. Still love Billy and Rebecca, though, and God damn are the backgrounds gorgeous in this remaster.

cerulily

Plotwise I've always had a problem with how it connects to RE1. So the helicopter crash lands, they get...on a train that goes far away, then they end up in a training facility, escape, and...then escape into a mansion? Isn't the scale totally off here?

That's after they take a detour through an umbrella facility in downtown Raccoon....somehow...

braves01

Banned

And also Bravo team "disappears" in RE, yet in Zero
there's a huge explosion when the facility self-destructs, which somehow goes unnoticed by the Alpha team or anyone in Raccoon city.
You really have to strain to suspend disbelief, but I'm not really looking for a cohesive story out of RE at this point so it doesn't bother me.

Audioboxer

Finding it tough to come by health. Both characters on red with no recovery items lol.

Just done the clock needle puzzle. I've been running away from leech men rather than killing them.

Reebot

It also means Rebecca has been up for about 48 hours by REmake. Girl has some stamina.

That feel when you kill every enemy in leech hunter only for the trophy not to pop. Its not a good feel. I hate leech hunter. I hate having to waste 25 min collecting the leeches at the end. So dumb.

I feel that the seperation of characters and the way the game works that angle just gives me more tension then some of the other Resident Evil games. I gave this game a lot of shit when it first released due to the nature of the bosses and the theme that seems to sorta prevail in this game.In reality it makes it stand out quite a bit from the rest. I do hope that if we ever get more games like this, they keep the ability to drop items but also have chests as well. I feel it would be the best of both worlds.

cerulily

I feel that the seperation of characters and the way the game works that angle just gives me more tension then some of the other Resident Evil games. I gave this game a lot of shit when it first released due to the nature of the bosses and the theme that seems to sorta prevail in this game.In reality it makes it stand out quite a bit from the rest. I do hope that if we ever get more games like this, they keep the ability to drop items but also have chests as well. I feel it would be the best of both worlds.

The item dropping mechanic has led to a problem that annoys me to no end though. In order to make it easier to not pick up unintentional items, it's clear the shrank the hitbox for the items when picking them up. It has the effect of making background items insanely frustrating to pick up sometimes

TyrantII

It's even worse when you factor in the fan service revisits to RE2 locals.

One thing to keep in mind is the original RE0 was slated for N64 and cancled. Doing this game was a quick cash in on the heels of REmakes success and the knowledge of a cancled game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh god...these leechmen, they are murdering me everywhere!

Most terrifying enemy in the game.

I swear to god they made the Leechmen tougher than they were in the original Zero. I literally played Zero two years ago and I don't remember ever having this much trouble with them in any of the three times I've played it over the years than this HD Remaster run (fourth time through).

Man there was this webpage attempting to piece together the geography and magic elevator years ago but it seems to have been purged from the interwebs :[

Nemesis_

I am worried the Weapons achievement has glitched for me.....

I've got 12 / 15 but can't work out what I'm missing. I've done the custom handguns, unlockables and what not. Do I need to pick them up and equip them? Kill someone with them? Have both characters equip them? I've even loaded the Grenade Launcher with all the round types.

Vibranium

Banned
And also Bravo team "disappears" in RE, yet in Zero
there's a huge explosion when the facility self-destructs, which somehow goes unnoticed by the Alpha team or anyone in Raccoon city.
You really have to strain to suspend disbelief, but I'm not really looking for a cohesive story out of RE at this point so it doesn't bother me.

It's a result of having different writers who don't care about continuity, they want to tell their own RE story (like Bendis with Marvel comics). If Mikami had done Zero it probably would have been a true prequel and had more focus on Bravo Team as a whole. And we would have gotten to explore the forest probably.

Think of Zero as a alternate side-story like Umbrella Chronicles. Capcom could always pull a Kojima and retcon it if they wanted to.

Top Bottom