• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remastered announced (2016; PC,PS4,XB1,PS3,360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooey

Neo Member
Only mainline Resi I haven't played...
I guess I'll be a sucker. Capcom seem to have that affect on me...

Sectus

That screenshot has me hopeful all the backgrounds will be re-rendered this time. I didn't like RE0 nearly as much as REmake, but I'm still very excited to play this. Very excited to mod out door animations too.

5ae3f68dbf21f79a32855a3613cc45de.png

Been my Steam icon since I made the account.

Rebecca in Zero > REmake > RE1 > Umbrella Chronicles > I'M REBECCA HEHE RE5

(in my opinion)

C'mon, Rebecca attacks enemies with her rump in RE5. With her rump! I'd personally rank RE5 Rebecca higher up.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
They should just use the pc ports of resident evils of the psone generation. It's not like they'd look any worse than a Sega genesis PS3 download.

Atrarock

I guess I'll start.

Sooo, rerendered or filters ?

Entirely possible if they have the original assets:

resident-evil.jpg
What about Darkside Chronicles? Didn't that have a Leon/Claire scenario(s) with remade areas of each part of RE2? Could they touch up those assets for a remake?

pikablu

This wasn't a bad game but I absolutely hate how this game doesn't have chests. makes backtracking painstakingly annoying. I'll replay if they add in chests.

Reebot

What about Darkside Chronicles? Didn't that have a Leon/Claire scenario(s) with remade areas of each part of RE2? Could they touch up those assets for a remake?

The Darkside Chronicles assets don't look great, they're serviceable in a rail-shooter context but look pretty bland under scrutiny.

dab0ne

Wow! we are super close to having the same! you have more Tins though, I also have RE2 n64, it's just in the 64 right now.

When I bought RE: Directors Cut Dualshock (greatest hits) it came with the non Dualshock non Greatest Hits editions disc. so I had to buy the regular Directors Cut with demo and end up with 2 of that disc. later to make up for it I bought the dual shock edition disc only to go in my empty case, it didn't work. so I had to buy the disc only twice. Made me mad.

On top of that, the demo of Dino Crisis that is supposed to come with RE3 was accidentally swapped with the demo disc for RE3 that was supposed to come with Dino Crisis. I guess the reseller who saw the RE3 labeled demo disc unfortunately though that meant it was a demo that came with RE3 sigh. Oh well.

Oh wow you got the short end of the stick a couple of times. Yeah I've been a fan of the franchise for a while now. I've loved it every since I rented it (and a PS1) in 1996. There have been some hit or miss titles but all in all I think its a good franchise. I'm not as hard corps about the franchise as I once was but I am still an avid collector because I do love the universe. Definitely got my share of statues, books, consoles, and controllers.

CamHostage

No surprise. They will remaster 0 like REmake with some filters and the new controls ... and that will be it. There will be no Resident Evil 2 Remake. That would need a lot more ressources and is a bigger risk.

Do not understand at all what this "bigger risk" is. They have their data with RE HD as to what a Resident Evil remake would do saleswise, they know the numbers going in as to what kind of budget it'd take to make a fresh new version of RE2 and what they could expect in return. (And I'd personally say that these would be conservative since a fresh remake of 2 would be different from a third-release version of REmake, plus it's the one everybody has been asking for.) And though they couldn't reuse assets as they did in REmake/Zero, Capcom did redo a few elements for RE HD plus had to re-arrange content from the past game and so have an understanding of asset production inside the "REmake" framework.

They have the engine, they have the numbers, the only thing they might not have is the talent left over skilled enough in old-school game design and remaster understanding to actually pull it off...

FFVII is a different story (it's scale and variety is frightening to think about, plus S-E would have to deal with how incoherent and ill-matched elements of the game are; RE2's city is large but more homogeneous than maybe even RE1), though one could argue over how much money has been thrown at loser projects instead of at one that had more clear financial straights.

Mr_Zombie

Point being, you have will always have spaces for other items without resorting to an item box room.

The system is good if you already know where to use what, but on a first playthrough it can be annoying:
- you still need to backtrack a lot in order to pick up the dropped item; in previous RE games (aside from the Real Survivor mode in REmake) you know that every item box hold all items you've picked up;
- there's a limit of items one can drop in a single location; so even if you want to store all your items in a single hub-like room for convenience (e.g. main hall in the mansion), you can't;
- due to camera angels, sometimes it's hard to see where the item was dropped or, if there's a few items dropped in one location, what item you're about to pick up;
- it's harder to grasp what items and how many (herbs and ammo) you have since you have them dropped all over the place; you have to find them on the map;
- when you move to a new location (train -> mansion, mansion -> chapel etc.) you have to run back and forth to move all items; otherwise you will have to constantly backtrack to that last main location (I know there are shortcuts, but it takes time to discover them).

Kuraudo

Banned
The over-reliance of FMV is going to detract from the experience a bit. Bet you wish you'd took time to model more characters than just Billy and Rebecca now, Capcom ;)

PooBone

Anyone that thinks that these cash-ins will lead to a remake of RE2 that looks like REmake is delusional.
It would be an entirely new game built from the ground up. Capcom is making easy money right now polishing some games that are 10+ years old that still hold up visually.

Ditty.

That screenshot has me hopeful all the backgrounds will be re-rendered this time. I didn't like RE0 nearly as much as REmake, but I'm still very excited to play this. Very excited to mod out door animations too.

C'mon, Rebecca attacks enemies with her rump in RE5. With her rump! I'd personally rank RE5 Rebecca higher up.

she had the best melee of every Mercs character(flamethrower and dual flamethrower), as well as the best loadout.

Ragnarok

The system is good if you already know where to use what, but on a first playthrough it can be annoying:
- you still need to backtrack a lot in order to pick up the dropped item; in previous RE games (aside from the Real Survivor mode in REmake) you know that every item box hold all items you've picked up;
- there's a limit of items one can drop in a single location; so even if you want to store all your items in a single hub-like room for convenience (e.g. main hall in the mansion), you can't;
- due to camera angels, sometimes it's hard to see where the item was dropped or, if there's a few items dropped in one location, what item you're about to pick up;
- it's harder to grasp what items and how many (herbs and ammo) you have since you have them dropped all over the place; you have to find them on the map;
- when you move to a new location (train -> mansion, mansion -> chapel etc.) you have to run back and forth to move all items; otherwise you will have to constantly backtrack to that last main location (I know there are shortcuts, but it takes time to discover them).

Yeah I think that anyone who says the lack of item boxes is a good thing is crazy, lol. Like you said it makes the first, blind play through extremely tedious. And the first play through is supposed to be the best.

You almost have to take notes about where you dropped what and how much of it you dropped. It just feels like a chore and an unnecessary pain in the ass. Definitely my least favorite mainline RE.

hao chi

I'm actually surprised by this. I actually thought it was a far better alternative to "magic" item boxes. For one, you can actually leave incompleted KEY objects right in front of the object that requires it. How is that not a superior option? Eliminates most of the backtracking really; could've cut an extra 30 minutes of my finish time if they implemented it in the REmake.

Being able to drop items has some nice advantages, but the lack of item boxes also meant I had to make at least several trips to drop all my stuff off in the area that you're in during disc 2 of the game.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd rather go with item boxes. Though ideally I'd like to have both, since I don't think there's any reason they need to be mutually exclusive. They could even just include two item boxes for all I care: one in the hub room of the mansion, and one somewhere in the area you spend most of disc 2 in. That would make me perfectly happy.

Gren

The over-reliance of FMV is going to detract from the experience a bit. Bet you wish you'd took time to model more characters than just Billy and Rebecca now, Capcom ;)

Lots of FMVs? That's a shame. Usually the PC version has the worst compression. So bad that I would delete/replace the video files to save space & just watch comparable/better quality versions on Youtube.

However, IIRC REmaster had higher-quality clips than either of the console ports, so maybe they'll do the same for this one. Obviously it won't be as clean as in-engine cutscenes, but it'd make the best of a bad situation.

Mr_Zombie

Don't forget about Edward. :p

But yeah, it's gonna bite them in the ass now. Unless they have uncompressed high-res version of those movies stored somewhere.

Shauni

Do not understand at all what this "bigger risk" is. They have their data with RE HD as to what a Resident Evil remake would do saleswise, they know the numbers going in as to what kind of budget it'd take to make a fresh new version of RE2 and what they could expect in return. (And I'd personally say that these would be conservative since a fresh remake of 2 would be different from a third-release version of REmake, plus it's the one everybody has been asking for.) And though they couldn't reuse assets as they did in REmake/Zero, Capcom did redo a few elements for RE HD plus had to re-arrange content from the past game and so have an understanding of asset production inside the "REmake" framework.

They have the engine, they have the numbers, the only thing they might not have is the talent left over skilled enough in old-school game design and remaster understanding to actually pull it off...

FFVII is a different story (it's scale and variety is frightening to think about, plus S-E would have to deal with how incoherent and ill-matched elements of the game are; RE2's city is large but more homogeneous than maybe even RE1), though one could argue over how much money has been thrown at loser projects instead of at one that had more clear financial straights.

The actual sales of REMake may have been pretty impressive for a digital download title and all, but we're still talking like 1 million. That's really not a lot in the grand scheme of things when you consider that the mainline games are selling 4 to 5 times.

I guess with a shoestring budget, and something that heavily, heavily reuses assets like you say (similarly to Revelations 2) maybe it's not too off the wall to think about, but honestly, is that what people really want with RE2Make? I feel like if people actually got that in the form of a very small budget DL title, would they really be happy about it? I get the feeling from these discussions that people really want a "true" remake in the style of REMake relative to its time period.

Nekofrog

Banned
I truly, truly hate this game. One of the worst RE to dates, and that's including "modern" Resident Evil which I despise ('cept 'lations 2, that's my bae)

I'll still buy it out of some misguided hope that it'll influence a decision to remake RE2, but I know it won't.

Zero is decent. It is what it is - a prequel. I doubt it will sell nearly as many downloads as REmake, so hopefully Capcom doesn't use this as a barometer on deciding to remake RE2 or not.

SURGEdude

REbirth is the best Resident Evil along with 4, but this may very well be the worst, of the classic, mainline ones.

Incredibly boring, short, and with a drop/pick-up system that is just tedious.

The character switch and the first level (train) are cool, but not enough to sustain the game.

Also, Rebecca and random badass dude are some shit characters.

I actually blame this game in many ways for killing classic RE. Hopefully it doesn't do that again. But I can just see it now when it doesn't sell as well as the incredible REmake remaster and Capcom decides that once again there is no interest in old school survival horror.

Now I need to decide if I'm willing to buy to show support knowing I won't bother playing it.

CamHostage

The PS3/PS4 versions of Resident Evil HD are not cross-buy, correct? I missed out on buying REmake on the PSN flash sale last week (partly because *veiled-port-begging-hope-I-don't-get-banned* I'm hoping Frima does a good job on RE:R2 for Vita and Capcom decides to port over RE/RE0 as well,) but I will pick it up some day.

CamHostage

The actual sales of REMake may have been pretty impressive for a digital download title and all, but we're still talking like 1 million. That's really not a lot in the grand scheme of things when you consider that the mainline games are selling 4 to 5 times.

Oh, I'm not one of those people saying, "Stupid Capcom, this would be a money-printer!!" There are legit reasons why Capcom would not tackle RE2 again (partly, like I said, because maybe they're just not the company to pull it off any longer.)

But when people talk about the risk, that I question, because the risk is weighed again a pretty clear digital download sales analysis by REmake HD (and now RE0 and to some degree RE:R2.) It'd do somewhere in the same vicinity, maybe better. (Plus, if they get enough REmakes together to make for a sellable package, they could flip down a combo pack in a box and make a retail offering for the secondary market. ) So, there's your risk. Budget for that. If you cannot make/outsource assets for RE2, using the engine you produced for RE/RE0, for a cost that could would be effective on a 1M sales goal, then do not make it. But, given those numbers, is it impossible?

...but honestly, is that what people really want with RE2Make? I feel like if people actually got that in the form of a very small budget DL title, would they really be happy about it? I get the feeling from these discussions that people really want a "true" remake in the style of REMake relative to its time period.

Now, that's a difficult conundrum for Capcom to answer. To me it feels like there's a lot more clear answer to the "how" of RE2make than the "if/what is" of it all. Even a RE HD style game would make some people unhappy (RE2 is a much broader and better-realized, coherent game and there are people who want a full 3D experience in Raccoon City without the trappings of the 1998 game.)

That said, I'm still questioning a big the "grand" cost of remaking a classic RE. It's a taller order than some of the games on the market today, but not a gargantuan one to my eye (especially with lots of 2D/movie assets that could be outsourced, and an engine that could be utilized for a third time, assuming the team has enough familiarity with it after two REmake projects to make a brand new game remake on it.) There was a time when creating assets on the quality level of Resident Evil 2002 took top talent and lots of time; now, there are rendering farms all across the country that will scrap to get that job. And despite its high profile release at the time, the original GameCube REmake was even more risky (especially being released at a time when 2.5D was shameful to many bleeding-edge hardcore game seekers) and that risk failed in its time. Hard numbers are tough to come by (because this industry is annoying) but the original RE sold significantly less than 1M copies in North America according to reports, and I would guess your 1M sales assumption for RE HD is actually pretty conservative considering Capcom announced it smashed company records (with no hard numbers, natch) and is continuing the brand with the next REmake. (1M boxed and 1M digital is of course on a different plane of pricing, but there are pluses and minuses to dollars raised through each method.) To my mind, we're not talking a dinky, low-budget title when we're talking the numbers I believe Capcom is looking at when evaluating RE2... but there are still some strong "ifs" that I could understand might be holding them back.

That reminds me that I have only played the Remake PC like 15 minutes despite waiting for it like a year. Ugh

Here's my GC PAL copy
4diWD05.png

BGMNTS

Carlos Oliveira won't appear in a main game as a main character. BIO3 was originally a side-story and he was created as a side-story character, so he will only appear in side-stories, hence why he's only appeared in Umbrella Chronicles and Operation Raccoon City since. Nikolai Zinoviev is the same.

Don't want him as a main character just want him to make an appearance somewhere down the road.

Semajer

Actually, the more that I think about it, the less suited to online co-op I think the game is. It's really just a single player game split between two characters.

There are quite long sections where one player simply has nothing to do. Just off the top of my head there's:

Rebecca
dangling after a money attack.
Billy
unconscious
while Rebecca has her
RE2 lab
adventure.
One of the characters acting as a means to open the
church door during the bat boss fight.
Various sections where the puzzles lead from one character to the other.

I still hope they add bandito Billy to match cowgirl Rebecca, and N64-style costumes though.

Shauni

Now, that's a difficult conundrum for Capcom to answer. To me it feels like there's a lot more clear answer to the "how" of RE2make than the "if/what is" of it all. Even a RE HD style game would make some people unhappy (RE2 is a much broader and better-realized, coherent game and there are people who want a full 3D experience in Raccoon City without the trappings of the 1998 game.)

That said, I'm still questioning a big the "grand" cost of remaking a classic RE. It's a taller order than some of the games on the market today, but not a gargantuan one to my eye (especially with lots of 2D/movie assets that could be outsourced, and an engine that could be utilized for a third time, assuming the team has enough familiarity with it after two REmake projects to make a brand new game remake on it.) There was a time when creating assets on the quality level of Resident Evil 2002 took top talent and lots of time; now, there are rendering farms all across the country that will scrap to get that job. And despite its high profile release at the time, the original GameCube REmake was even more risky (especially being released at a time when 2.5D was shameful to many bleeding-edge hardcore game seekers) and that risk failed in its time. Hard numbers are tough to come by (because this industry is annoying) but the original RE sold significantly less than 1M copies in North America according to reports, and I would guess your 1M sales assumption for RE HD is actually pretty conservative considering Capcom announced it smashed company records (with no hard numbers, natch) and is continuing the brand with the next REmake. (1M boxed and 1M digital is of course on a different plane of pricing, but there are pluses and minuses to dollars raised through each method.) To my mind, we're not talking a dinky, low-budget title when we're talking the numbers I believe Capcom is looking at when evaluating RE2... but there are still some strong "ifs" that I could understand might be holding them back.

I seem to recall Capcom posted the sales number as 1M not too long ago, so that's where I was getting that, not a random assumption.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e150424.html

CamHostage

I seem to recall Capcom posted the sales number as 1M not too long ago, so that's where I was getting that, not a random assumption.

Sure, I recognized the number as well. But as I thought, that was a conservative number by far: it was actually Day 1 sales for REmake. (Hard to say what the halflife of a digital game is, I do believe REmake had pre-orders on some platforms and that's still a rarity in the digital space, but how much it has sold since without factoring in sales pricing, neither of us will ever know, sadly...)

That said, I believe RE HD was also put in a box in Japan, so that even further skews my understanding.

Sectus

Actually, the more that I think about it, the less suited to online co-op I think the game is. It's really just a single player game split between two characters.

There are quite long sections where one player simply has nothing to do. Just off the top of my head there's:

Rebecca
dangling after a money attack.
Billy
unconscious
while Rebecca has her
RE2 lab
adventure.
One of the characters acting as a means to open the
church door during the bat boss fight.
Various sections where the puzzles lead from one character to the other.

I still hope they add bandito Billy to match cowgirl Rebecca, and N64-style costumes though.

It's probably not worth it to add online coop, but I'd like to see local coop extended. With the Gamecube version, you could control 2P using the c-stick, I'd like to see this extended to 2P being controllable with a second controller so they get access to more actions. They'll still be limited by the scenes you mention, but I think it'll be an okay compromise.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sooooo ... is it Jan 2016 for all regions or is there any chance like REmake that the Japanese version wil come out a few months in advance ?

Semajer

It's probably not worth it to add online coop, but I'd like to see local coop extended. With the Gamecube version, you could control 2P using the c-stick, I'd like to see this extended to 2P being controllable with a second controller so they get access to more actions. They'll still be limited by the scenes you mention, but I think it'll be an okay compromise.

True. I think in that scenario the only thing they'd need to add is an animation showing the second player entering the room you're in. Unless that already exists in RE0, and I've forgotten. I suppose they could also revamp the menu to add something like RE5's item request function.

Shauni

Sure, I recognized the number as well. But as I thought, that was a conservative number by far: it was actually Day 1 sales for REmake. (Hard to say what the halflife of a digital game is, I do believe REmake had pre-orders on some platforms and that's still a rarity in the digital space, but how much it has sold since without factoring in sales pricing, neither of us will ever know, sadly...)

That said, I believe RE HD was also put in a box in Japan, so that even further skews my understanding.

The boxed edition was a limited thing. I believe it sold like 70k or something, so not a huge factor.

I fucking hate this gen. We used to complain that these publishers just kept rehashing the same game year after year, but now they literally do rehash the exact same fucking game. This is all your fucking fault. Yes, you. You know who you are. You did this.

I support the remastering of older videogames for the same reason I support the restoration of older movies on blu-ray.

This news makes me soooo happy. I enjoyed Zero just as much as REmake back in the day.

Billy really needs to make a return in the series, though perhaps it's for the best that he hasn't had the misfortune of starring in a game like RE6.

KyleCross

Images of the game don't look filtered? Did they confirm what they are doing?

My only guess is that they had higher resolution renders of the backgrounds, unlike REmake in which they had to just pull the images from the disc. They clearly still don't have the original 3D models tho to re-render as they're still doing the pan and zoom technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom