• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed [WE DO IT!]

RedSwirl

I kinda hope this new RE2 ends up having a visual fidelity similar to Until Dawn.

Something to also mention is that Resident Evil games, and most old survival-horror games, their locales aren't actually that huge. You could easily map them out, there game-time is extended because of back-tracking, puzzle solving, monster obstacles, scared to move on, etc., and Resident Evil 2 in particular is shorter than your regular Resident Evil game. While the A/B scenarios and extras make up for it, it is definitely the shortest main series Resident Evil game. They can be sped-run in an hour and a half, if you know what you're doing you can beat a scenario in 2-3 hours easily, and even the first run will take most people somewhere between 4-7 hours. Resident Evil 2 has some really easy puzzles, and smaller locations than the average RE game. It makes up for it again in creative monsters, great music, interesting RE story, replaybility and extras, but it definitely is not a long game.

I realized this when I played RE5 Lost In Nightmares. Seeing the RE1 mansion replica with a 3rd person camera and almost no loading screens reveals just how small a place it really is, if it is in fact the same size. This is one reason why a 3rd person RE2 would have to essentially have an all new Raccoon City designed from the ground up. I'd imagine it being more like an open-world game, or at least an old-style adventure game scaled up to the proportions of an open-world game. Maybe Silent Hill 1 is a good comparison, but even bigger than that.

I don't really trust modern Capcom to make a completely new RE2 that wouldn't piss off fans of the original though.

I hope the journey to the RPD is longer and we can get more areas in Racoon City to explore. Would be cool if there was another scenario where we leave the RPD mid game and venture back out into the city.

DedValve

Banned
RE2make as the base game.
Outbreak 3 as the online portion of the game.
RE3make as DLC.
Ada scenario as DLC.
Rebbecca scenario as DLC.

There Capcom, I gave you a game, great online and a season pass. Hell if you want throw in a damn gamestop claire CV:X skin or whatever the fuck.

Just. Dont. Fuck. This. Up.

...please.

Not a fan of dlc but I'd be at the mercy of this plan if Capcom where to put it into fruition

Rizzi

It's baffling that to me that Capcom never tried Outbreak again once we actually got consoles with better online capabilities.

I'm not quite sure how this follows. Whether it's pre-rendered or 3D they still have to render and design all the additional areas. Those could still happen if the game was full 3D or not.

Lets say the create a 3D Racoon City similar to Gotham in Arkham Knight. You can have areas locked off for Re2 then open up and seal other areas for re3, outbreak or ORC. If it were pre-rendered the all those extra areas that weren't included in re2 would have to created, rendered, etc. HAving a fully realized 3D city from the get go would streamline things I figured.

If pre-rendered re3 would just be a full game download and not really dlc, same for outbreak

EctoPrime

Remaking 2 would be a great opportunity to rework the town map starting with moving the sewage treatment plant further away than across the street from the museum and inserting the under construction police station from 1.5. Making a few more models for zombies and police dogs couldn't hurt along with expanding upon types of damage you can inflict upon enemies. If you can shoot a zombie in half or destroy limbs you should be able to do that or more to all enemies.

I would like to see a scenario C and D added in that Claire or Leon go to the wrong police station after the initial seperation and end up never crossing paths outside of radio contact until the latter part of the game.

RE3make as DLC.
Ada scenario as DLC.

Oooh, Desperate Times with Leon and Claire as playable characters would be awesome. xD

It's baffling that to me that Capcom never tried Outbreak again once we actually got consoles with better online capabilities.

I know, Outbreak was truly before its time. Hoping they haven't completely forgotten about the series, although they seem to have no issue with the fans Private server, so we'll always have that at least.

-MD-

I hope the journey to the RPD is longer and we can get more areas in Racoon City to explore. Would be cool if there was another scenario where we leave the RPD mid game and venture back out into the city.

Agreed, I'd love if they padded out the beginning a bit with some new streets and areas.

They definitely need to let us explore the streets some more.

AdaWong

I'm wondering what they could build upon to really give the game that REmake vibe.

I'd love them go expand Adas role and perhaps incorporate her side missions that were in Umbrella Chronicles (but suitably scale them back so they were more classic RE rather than action based shooter)

I want them to show us how Ada got to Raccoon City, her communications with her agent and Wesker, her POV during RE2, and then how she got out of the lab all the way until she patches herself and then call it a day. If they go any further than that, then they will have to do Death's Door (Her scenario in UC) all over again, which was VERY RE4-like; Ada doing backflips, grappling hook her way to everything and roleplaying as Batman as if she were in Gotham.

Randam

Oooh, Desperate Times with Leon and Claire as playable characters would be awesome. xD

I know, Outbreak was truly before its time. Hoping they haven't completely forgotten about the series, although they seem to have no issue with the fans Private server, so we'll always have that at least.

Outbreak 3 and/or Outbreak 1 & 2 remastered would be sooo nice.

they really need to bring outbreak back.
those games were released too early.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
RE3make as DLC.
Ada scenario as DLC.

There Capcom, I gave you a game, great online and a season pass. Hell if you want throw in a damn gamestop claire CV:X skin or whatever the fuck.

Just. Dont. Fuck. This. Up.

...please.

Not a fan of dlc but I'd be at the mercy of this plan if Capcom where to put it into fruition

They would rather make Resi 3 a 60€ full price release as part of a season pass

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil 3 is a longer game than Resident Evil 2, and despite apparent popular belief, Resident Evil 3 actually does not have much shared with RE2. The game has a completely different selection of weapons, enemies, locations, and even mechanics, including things like the dodge system, the faster movement of Jill, the choice system and how individual scenes change, and more. And I have no idea why Capcom would include whole other games that would take at least a year to remake and have a very lofty playtime as DLC or as the base of a REmake of 2 rather than their own games.

They could modernize the action a bit, but enemy encounters need to be a burden on resources and not just cannon fodder still. Ammo should be precious and a player should consider all resources including inventory space. If enemies have more attack options and animations, give players new movement options as well. Sidesteps, a double aim, quick reloads, even maybe a contextual guard that can be timed that either reduces damage, or can parry attacks. Similar to REmakes dagger/tazer thing.

aristotle

Is there any clue as to when this could possibly release? I know it's all speculation at this point, but I was just wondering what the timeframe might be.

Dusk Golem

Is there any clue as to when this could possibly release? I know it's all speculation at this point, but I was just wondering what the timeframe might be.

My guess would be 2.5 - 3 years. I'm hoping we'll see/hear something new at TGS next month.

2016/2017. As was talked about last page I think, older Resident Evil games didn't take very long to make. REmake, for example, started development in early 2001, and released in March of 2002. RE2 was done in a bit less than two years, but they had made a whole other game in 1.5, scrapped it, then made RE2, and that took less than two years to do even with the scrapped version that got about 85% into development. And if you pay attention to the credits of older Resident Evil games, they're not very long, even for the time, they were made with fairly small/medium teams for the time.

-MD-

My guess would be 2.5 - 3 years. I'm hoping we'll see/hear something new at TGS next month.

I doubt we'll see anything that soon.

izzqvwr.png

Raijinken

Did I miss something in the past 48 hours? Why is everyone assuming this remake is going to have pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls? Did Capcom mention something about the gameplay or anything?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Did I miss something in the past 48 hours? Why is every assuming this remake is going to have pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls? Did Capcom mention something about the gameplay or something?
They are only making it because of the success of REmake HD remaster and because fans wanted it. Anything but a classic RE would not make sense.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nope we need RE2 voice actor Leon, and Dicaprio haircut and all.
I'm 99.99% sure he'll look pretty much exactly like his DC render.

Voice actor is up in the air, though. It'll likely be Mercer, but the original would be really nice if they could manage it.

Did I miss something in the past 48 hours? Why is everyone assuming this remake is going to have pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls? Did Capcom mention something about the gameplay or anything?

They asked on Facebook about it and the overwhelming majority of fans stated they wanted it like REmake, with the tank controls and fixed camera, so if they were listening, the fans have spoken about it.

Raijinken

They are only making it because of the success of REmake HD remaster and because fans wanted it. Anything but a classic RE would not make sense.

They asked on Facebook about it and the overwhelming majority of fans stated they wanted it like REmake, with the tank controls and fixed camera, so if they were listening, the fans have spoken about it.

Ah, I didn't know. I'm not a huge fan of the fixed camera and tank controls but I do love RE2 so I don't care if it'll be remade with a fixed camera or not.

Peace Tea

I never made it that far into RE2, but I'm currently playing through REmake for the first time.

If RE2 has anything close to the same frequency of cryptic room puzzles and item hunting, i hope they make the necessary changes for RE2make.

I'm almost entirely dependant on a YouTube speedrun to help me through. The only alternative i guess, without any help, is to: run past every zombie, enter every room, examine all four walls and every cabinet and drawer in between (searching for potential nicknacks of importance). In that process im sure I'll waste most of my ammo and herbs, and was already backtracking way too often.

RE4 basically solved this by splitting items into two categories. Ammo & Weaponry were limited and held in the expanded briefcase slots. While Puzzle items had unlimited storage space in some separate category (forgot the name). Maybe something like that could work for RE2make, idk. Don't expand the slots beyond 8, but allocate them to Weapon/ammo/health usage.

In general I remember Re4 having less stupid obscure shit to find, and less backtracking, so there's that too.

bryanee

I never made it that far into RE2, but I'm currently playing through REmake for the first time.

If RE2 has anything close to the same frequency of cryptic room puzzles and item hunting, i hope they make the necessary changes for RE2make.

I'm almost entirely dependant on a YouTube speedrun to help me through. The only alternative i guess, without any help, is to: run past every zombie, enter every room, examine all four walls and every cabinet and drawer in between (searching for potential nicknacks of importance). In that process im sure I'll waste most of my ammo and herbs, and was already backtracking way too often.

RE4 basically solved this by splitting items into two categories. Ammo & Weaponry were limited and held in the expanded briefcase slots. While Puzzle items had unlimited storage space in some separate category (forgot the name). Maybe something like that could work for RE2make, idk. Don't expand the slots beyond 8, but allocate them to Weapon/ammo/health usage.

In general I remember Re4 having less stupid obscure shit to find, and less backtracking, so there's that too.

You want to change a lot of what people like about classic RE, myself included. No one is perfect first time round when it comes to classic RE titles. You learn how to manage your items and ammo. You figure out the best route to and from each location and how best to get puzzle items.

Peace Tea

You want to change a lot of what people like about classic RE, myself included. No one is perfect first time round when it comes to classic RE titles. You learn how to manage your items and ammo. You figure out the best route to and from each location and how best to get puzzle items.

Idk, I'm probably just more receptive to RE4's streamlined approach, letting me solve via intuition, rather than bruteforce death & repeat.

Earlier today I ran into a room with 4 knight statues. No where in the room was there a hint that I had to move them in specific pattern. Eventually had to go to youtube for help.

And just now, I came across two outdoor dog statutes, hit their respective switches, and nothing happened. I was about to go in the mansion a probably waste 30 minutes looking for direction. I tried the switches again though and found that the arrows can stop in 1of4 directions. Finally it worked, and aimless wandering was avoided.

Im just hoping Capcom can avoid shit like this, needless headaches. That while staying as close as possible to the original game.

Maybe include a Deadspace ground laser to give direction, in very easy mode
(just had to throw that in there :p)

Idk, I'm probably just more receptive to RE4's streamlined approach, letting me solve via intuition, rather than bruteforce death & repeat.

Earlier today I ran into a room with 4 knight statues. No where in the room was there a hint that I had to move them in specific pattern. Eventually had to go to youtube for help.

And just now, I came across two outdoor dog statutes, hit their respective switches, and nothing happened. I was about to go in the mansion a probably waste 30 minutes looking for direction. I tried the switches again though and found that the arrows can stop in 1of4 directions. Finally it worked, and aimless wandering was avoided.

Im just hoping Capcom can avoid shit like this, needless headaches. That while staying as close as possible to the original game.

That may be the generational gap that this thread seems to bring up in general. What you find to be not streamlined used to be completely normal and I never thought twice about it when the originals and then REmake came out. Can't find the solution, try harder kind of thing. I can't even reca how many old Nintendo games etc. stone walled me until a friend figured it out or something. What you consider needless headaches I consider part of the enjoyment of playing that game and solving its puzzles.

Either way, I think these remakes are, or should be, geared more towards the old school fans who appreciate them for what they are as there are plenty of sequels in the series going forward giving new fans what they're looking for in terms of modern gameplay.

Golnei

yeah, but games back then weren't like today. 'Twas a simpler time.

If they go with pre-rendered backgrounds, if anything, it might be quicker. The level of detail in REmake's environments would still be a perfectly reasonable target for a modern game; but surely it would be a lot faster and simpler to light and render them on modern hardware as opposed to what Capcom was working with 14 years ago. In addition, if they're going for something graphically similar to the original, they now have far more applicable animation and model assets which could be recycled from earlier games than at the time of REmake.

hao chi

Both puzzles you mentioned have pretty obvious hints.

Vibranium

Banned
Agreed, I'd love if they padded out the beginning a bit with some new streets and areas.

They definitely need to let us explore the streets some more.

Yeah, I think exploring the streets would be cool, especially if they are littered with details showing the progression of the outbreak. It would be neat to visit some more shops too.

I hope to be alive to see this remake :D

Well only two games left Resident Evil 3 Nemesis and Resident Evil Code Veronica and the collection will be complete, only time will tell!

djshauny

Banned
I hope to be alive to see this remake :D

Well only two games left Resident Evil 3 Nemesis and Resident Evil Code Veronica and the collection will be complete, only time will tell!

Yeah I hope the fans of 3 and CV get a remake too. But I seriously doubt it would happen for CV.

djshauny

Banned

Looks like old school RE is not for you.

LUXURY

Some of you want some ungodly changes. I don't want any portion of any levels reworked or more added. The game was fine as it was. Remaking it in the vein of 1 and 0 and that's it. That's all that needs to be done. These combat changes and all that. Nope. Get out.

LUXURY

Because in Resident Evil 4 and above everything is given to you in mass amounts and you can buy things. That's not what survival horror is to me. The mere thought of having to enter that room filled with zombies to retrieve the key for the door across the hall to continue is something I sincerely miss. In games now it's all pointed out for you. No guessing to be had. No thought to be taken. 6 even had a stupid device that showed you the way to go on the floor. Come on now. Give yourself a chance. It's not as difficult as your thinking it is.

Emedan

It's called a puzzle because you're supposed to figure it out.,, you know, with your brain. Some can be solved by simple trial and error, but most of them (all?) have hints that demand a bit of thinking, they all demand exploring. Why would you want a puzzle not to be puzzling?

I for one hope they keep it all in, I'm sick of being told what to do like most modern games do, it's insulting to my intelligence. If you can't solve the puzzle, tough luck then you don't deserve to progress. It's an obstacle you have to overcome.

Some of you want some ungodly changes. I don't want any portion of any levels reworked or more added. The game was fine as it was. Remaking it in the vein of 1 and 0 and that's it. That's all that needs to be done. These combat changes and all that. Nope. Get out.

Just a little curious, have you played both Resident Evil 1 and Remake?

Because there were some areas reworked and some areas added. If they can get it right with Resident Evil 2's remake, then I am perfectly fine with them reworking and adding areas, because that is what made the remake so much better than the original. There's room for expansion at the RPD/Umbrella labs without leaving behind what makes Resident Evil 2, well, Resident Evil 2.

-MD-

Because in Resident Evil 4 and above everything is given to you in mass amounts and you can buy things. That's not what survival horror is to me. The mere thought of having to enter that room filled with zombies to retrieve the key for the door across the hall to continue is something I sincerely miss. In games now it's all pointed out for you. No guessing to be had. No thought to be taken. 6 even had a stupid device that showed you the way to go on the floor. Come on now. Give yourself a chance. It's not as difficult as your thinking it is.

It's called a puzzle because you're supposed to figure it out.,, you know, with your brain. Some can be solved by simple trial and error, but most of them (all?) have hints that demand a bit of thinking, they all demand exploring. Why would you want a puzzle not to be puzzling?

I for one hope they keep it all in, I'm sick of being told what to do like most modern games do, it's insulting to my intelligence. If you can't solve the puzzle, tough luck then you don't deserve to progress. It's an obstacle you have to overcome.

ron-moved.gif

Dusk Golem

But... 1 and 0 reworked areas and had more added. One of the big appeals of how they were remade was that they remade the game and built more on-top of it, new and expanded areas, re-worked puzzles, new mechanics like Crimson Heads, new enemies, etc. But all while retaining what made the original great.

And Resident Evil 2 I feel could benefit from it, outside of RPD Police Station, all of the areas are actually very small and short, and three of the five locations are miniscule compared to a regular RE location.

But... 1 and 0 reworked areas and had more added. One of the big appeals of how they were remade was that they remade the game and built more on-top of it, new and expanded areas, re-worked puzzles, new mechanics like Crimson Heads, new enemies, etc. But all while retaining what made the original great.

And Resident Evil 2 I feel could benefit from it, outside of RPD Police Station, all of the areas are actually very small and short, and three of the five locations are miniscule compared to a regular RE location.

I'm with you.

It was done extremely well in REmake to the point none of it felt out of place and expanded on exploration. The same could be done for REmake2.

-MD-

I 100% want areas added/expanded, the new additions to REmake were some of the most memorable parts of that game.

Top Bottom