• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed [WE DO IT!]

It still doesn't need to have pre-rendered backgrounds. In fact, that would be momumentally stupid of them. 3D environments with a fixed-but-dynamic camera (CV-style) is clearly the best option. Pre-rendered backgrounds come with no benefits now that we can do nice real-time visuals, only drawbacks.

Agreed, with pre-rendered backgrounds you still have to do every single thing as with 3D backgrounds, and even more. It's just performance saving, not time saving.

They simply look better, plus free up resources for characters. It allowed REmake back then to look a generation ahead, imagine what it could do now. RE5 came 7 years after REmake and on new hardware and it still doesn't look better when they used 3D environments and fixed camera in the mansion.

https://youtu.be/_eXD92_keI4?t=89

I wouldn't say there's any drawbacks. For one, we can have a full 4k resolution without a hitch - they can also pull off parallax for some added depth. I'd love to see a modern game with impressive and artistic pre-rendered backgrounds - everyone knows that pre-rendered is better than real-time. Now imagine a 4k image, with a 10 million polygon character model - that shouldn't be too taxing on current gen. They're essentially flattened images rendered with high fidelity simulations. Considering they still require to create all the assets from scratch, pre-rendering has a faster production schedule due to less optimization - 3D requires more optimization for all the draw-calls, materials, and physics.

Thank you

Mat-triX

I really really hope not. Trying to cater to fans of both styles is going to backfire.

Sadly, the way Capcom talks about Resident Evil now a days is that it's a franchise that tries to appeal to everyone...so the idea of multiple perspectives (fixed camera and third person) sounds more likely if this is meant to be a AAA, $60 game.

If it was a budget, downloadable game (between $15-$30) THAN it only being fixed camera seems more possible...

artsi

They simply look better, plus free up resources for characters. It allowed REmake back then to look a generation ahead, imagine what it could do now. RE5 came 7 years after REmake and on new hardware and it still doesn't look better when they used 3D environments and fixed camera in the mansion.

We're already way ahead of RE5 though, with engines like UE4 featuring amazing lighting, global illumination etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImuyHcpO2Hg

Also that mansion clearly didn't have much work done on it, as it was just a DLC.

Kuraudo

Banned
The only way I could see both styles working is if they kept them separate: a campaign with fixed camera angles and a Mercenaries or Raid Mode with over-shoulder aiming.

We're already way ahead of RE5 though, with engines like UE4 featuring amazing lighting, global illumination etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImuyHcpO2Hg

Also that mansion clearly didn't have much work done on it, as it was just a DLC.

I know we're ahead of that, it's 8 years later. The thing is it will always be a losing battle to what you can achieve in real time vs pre-rendered in terms of quality since you can go render a scene with "infinite" detail and have it take no resources at all during gameplay. The benefits of real time is the ability to freely move the camera, and have things be more "dynamic" (to an extent because for the best quality, you will still have to pre-bake lighting and have a relatively static scene) and yet these things don't apply to this game.

What I'm saying is because this game is the way it is, you can afford to use methods that wouldn't work on other games. So why use the same method as every other game when in this case you're not reaping the benefits (freely moving camera) and in the end will only experiencing the drawbacks (resource hog, etc.)

Emedan

Sadly, the way Capcom talks about Resident Evil now a days is that it's a franchise that tries to appeal to everyone...so the idea of multiple perspectives (fixed camera and third person) sounds more likely if this is meant to be a AAA, $60 game.

If it was a budget, downloadable game (between $15-$30) THAN it only being fixed camera seems more possible...

With the success of the re-release of the REmake surely they must understand that it's THAT type of Resident Evil that is sought for. Mess too much with the formula and people won't buy it.. But then again, the 3 latest main installments was like they were...

RSB

Banned

Yep, another advantage of using pre-rendered backgrounds is that it wouldn't leave the door open for them to try something similar to what they did in "Lost in Nightmares" That kind of thing is cool as an easter egg, but trying to balance an entire game around both fixed camera angles and over-the-shoulder camera is a terrible idea.

I really really hope not. Trying to cater to fans of both styles is going to backfire.
Indeed. The middle ground approach very rarely works, and besides, we already have the Revelations games fo those that want a "middle ground" approach (I'd rather keep that kind of mediocrity to its own sub-saga)

sn00zer

Why does the camera need to fixed? Gimme a well choreographed camera instead. We've come a long way as far as uncontrollable or minimally controllable cameras are concerned.
latest

It still doesn't need to have pre-rendered backgrounds. In fact, that would be momumentally stupid of them. 3D environments with a fixed-but-dynamic camera (CV-style) is clearly the best option. Pre-rendered backgrounds come with no benefits now that we can do nice real-time visuals, only drawbacks.

This post is so bad it gave me cancer.

Just... no.

sn00zer

I agree. A dynamic but not user controlled camera can have HUGE benefits (see God of War)

-MD-

Mr_Zombie

Their original Unity version had both fixed camera and OTS cameras an controls:

Here's fixed camera gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtiyfSFe1BM

I wonder if Capcom is investigating having both perspectives with gameplay tweaks for both.

It's impossible to design a game with both static cameras and over the shoulder camera in mind. One gives the creator a complete control over what player can and can't see, the other allows player to see whatever he wants to see. Many scares from original games would be impossible to recreate if the player had the ability to switch camera perspective at will. Many battles would be easy if the player could see and pick enemies from afar (at last two battles with Birkin in RE2 dependent on you not seeing where he jumped).

When this comes out, and the first thing I see when the game boots up is a modern version of this:

tumblr_inline_ng0u5c6Xsg1rlggns.gif

It would be the greatest thing

Yes. That logo and the fluent transition the opening is stuck in mind.

FyreWulff

with pre-rendered backgrounds they could release it for the 360 and PS3 with no drop in quality.

RSB

Banned
Revelations 3 and RE7 are coming, just give us this- the correct way.
Exactly. I'm a big fan of the action oriented RE, but we've had three of those in the past 11 years, five if you count Revelations 1 and 2 (they are basically a watered down version of the action RE games with some light puzzles) On the other hand, the last classic RE was RE Zero back in 2003. If they are not going to give RE2 Remake the REmake treatment, then they shouldn't do it at all.

Anung

Un Rama
As an absolute die hard Resi 2 fan I've put together a little video of what I want to see from The Resi 2 REmake

I still can't get over the fact I live in a world where REmake 2 is actually happening. I imagine we'll see Resi 0 next year, then Resi 7 then hopefully Resi 2 in late 2017 early 2018.

Ooh ooh ooh

Just had an idea

Make the whole intro playable.

Dead quiet streets, Leon and Claire meeting at the diner, the rush to the police car.

Then after the zombie in the backseat attacks, a QTE/Live Event to swerve the car or not to to organically implement the two scenario possiblilities

Ooh ooh ooh

Just had an idea

Make the whole intro playable.

Dead quiet streets, Leon and Claire meeting at the diner, the rush to the police car.

Then after the zombie in the backseat attacks, a QTE/Live Event to swerve the car or not to to organically implement the two scenario possiblilities

I think it would still work just fine picking the scenario from the start rather than putting it into gameplay like that. I also think that intro sounds cool, but it'd be weird to have Leon and Claire together for a little bit in the beginning, and then never together in gameplay with another capable adult for the rest of the game. An expanded streets section would work best AFTER the split, I think.

and in my head i'm hoping i'll be playing the RE2make in classic REstyle with fixed camera angles, like REmake and OG RE2, get QTEs and OTS out of RE2

They never said anything about OTS.

Remember the events from RE3 where you could pick what to do? They were saying that that is what the QTE/Live Event would decide, is if you're playing ClaireA/LeonB or LeonA/ClaireB by having Leon swerve the car and spin 180 or not.

Thought bump here.

I was in the camp that they were probably going to remake this as an RE4-type game due to the main series being more fast-paced, action/survival now. And also, being some of Capcom's most profitable games but lately, I've kinda done a 180 on this.

The RE Zero HD remaster's visual quality (which still holds up today) was possible due to Capcom having kept the data from the RE Zero Gamecube's version production back then.

Now, you're Capcom. You want old/hardcore fans to stay around and they want a REmake-style rebuilding of RE2. You have in your possession all the references you need in how to make a REmake-style next-gen game in the form of RE Zero's production data (engine, 3d assets, sound, etc). So, you have the entire technical ground work done. You dust it up and make it more optimized, but nothing major.

Then, you have RE2 as a game which is already done design-wise, story-wise, pacing-wise, etc. And you don't want to change anything as to not piss anyone off but mainly, you don't want to spend time/resources on messing with something that's already very appreciated.

These two points make me very curious on what they do with REmake 2. If they actually do this as REmake-type game, they could save themselves a ton of money during the conception and pre-production phases and mostly put all their effort in production. They don't even have to go crazy with marketing. Word of mouth has been good for REmake Remaster and seems to be doing the same with the Zero Remaster.

I haven't given up yet. This could be very exciting.

We are currently two generations ahead of REmake and Code Veronica. As much as I think the prerendered backgrounds were integral to older RE games and Code Veronica's atmosphere suffered in part due to its lack thereof, ... we can currently produce extremely atmospheric locations in real time. Is it really so bad?

I can understand being upset if they change the camera angle to behind the back, being unwilling to accept backdrops because of the way they are rendered? Personally, my biggest concern is whether or not it's still a game where you have to manage resources and progress via puzzles rather than combat.

RSB

Banned
We are currently two generations ahead of REmake and Code Veronica. As much as I think the prerendered backgrounds were integral to older RE games and Code Veronica's atmosphere suffered in part due to its lack thereof, ... we can currently produce extremely atmospheric locations in real time. Is it really so bad?

I can understand being upset if they change the camera angle to behind the back, being unwilling to accept backdrops because of the way they are rendered? Personally, my biggest concern is whether or not it's still a game where you have to manage resources and progress via puzzles rather than combat.
Prerendered backgrounds will always look better, and leave more resources available for the character models, effects, IQ, etc. And as I said earlier, another advantage of prerendered backgrounds is that it would make it impossible for them to try any kind of mixed approach similar to that "Lost in Nightmares" easter egg.

BTW, after this announcement I decided to replay REmake on the PS4. What a masterpiece. It's not like I needed to, but still, it is great to be reminded how amazing classic RE is. I was just gonna do a single playthrough, but ended doing three, LOL. So good.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The question is more like what would be the point of not doing it prerendered? Like, why are they even doing this remake? Whom is it targeted for?

Any word on who will be directing this? I hope if it's anybody, that it will be Yasuhiro Anpo since he's been around since the start (worked on RE1 as some sort of "Systems" guy and on RE2 as "Software Engineer"). He's also the director of Revelations 2, Ex Trooper and RE5. I have no idea who else left at Capcom would be suitable.

CV environments looks like ass now. While RE3, the game before it looks better, despite being on a console a gen behind also.

That is why pre-rendered is better.

I would hope that they're aware that Zero doesn't have the following REmake does.

Doesn't help with people who never played it badmouthing it for the wrong reasons.

The number of times I hear people say it was a bad game. No, it was a big disappointment because people expected a Bravo team story and we didn't get it, and got yet another mansion for the 3rd game in a row, with 4 out of 6 main RE games at that time featuring mansions.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So wait if they used the old control scheme and fixes camera angles, but the backgrounds aren't pre-rendered...that would be a dealbreaker for some people? Some of y'all are crazy.

CV environments looks like ass now. While RE3, the game before it looks better, despite being on a console a gen behind also.

That is why pre-rendered is better.

Doesn't help with people who never played it badmouthing it for the wrong reasons.

The number of times I hear people say it was a bad game. No, it was a big disappointment because people expected a Bravo team story and we didn't get it, and got yet another mansion for the 3rd game in a row, with 4 out of 6 main RE games at that time featuring mansions.

Those are factors, but it also ties into the fact that Zero is a straight up poor Resident Evil game. The poorest of the main lines. The change to item boxes and the god awful enemy types just completely fuck it up.

So wait if they used the old control scheme and fixes camera angles, but the backgrounds aren't pre-rendered...that would be a dealbreaker for some people? Some of y'all are crazy.

I don't get it either, why must it be pre-rendered?. I don't see how it would make it more or less intense.

Anung

Un Rama
I know they won't make any mechanical changes to Zero but putting traditional item boxes into that game would solve some huge problems that I have with it.

I really hope Capcom doesn't use the inferior "Darkside" version of Claire for REmake 2. I hated that Revelations 2 called it the "classic" outfit. It really grinds my gears.

Top Bottom