• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake shipped 4 million units worldwide

Shin

Banned
Capcom announced with a press release that the recently-released Resident Evil 2 remake has shipped over four million units globally since its release.
As usual for this kind of figures, the number includes units shipped to retailers physically and digital downloads for the full game as of yesterday, Feb. 26.
Over twenty years ago the original Resident Evil 2 sold 4.96 million units during its whole lifetime, and this one took only one week to reach three million units. With four million copies shipped under its belt, it appears to be well on its way to surpass its predecessor.

It’ll be interesting to see how much the numbers will have grown by March, which marks the end of the fiscal year. At that point Capcom is likely to provide another update.
Incidentally, Resident Evil 7 biohazard shipped six million units cumulatively as of Dec. 31, and Capcom has mentioned that it expects similar results for the new title.

Resident Evil 2 finally released worldwide for PS4, Xbox One, and PC on Jan. 25.

Credit: Twinfinite
Source: Capcom IR

GenericUser

Four million in 1 month. Isn't this ok-ish for a game like this? It sure feels like an AAA title in terms of polish, but I've heard it actually was developed with a much smaller budget. I personally think it deserves much higher numbers as it's a rare occurence of a finished, well thought out videogame. Kinda sad to see that people are not going crazy when games with this amount of polish and soul get released. But why would anything good ever happen in this world anyway.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Four million in 1 month. Isn't this ok-ish for a game like this? It sure feels like a AAA title in terms of polish, but I've heard it actually was developed with a much smaller budget. I personally think it deserves much higher numbers as it's a rare occurence of a finished, well thought out videogame. Kinda sad to see that people are not going crazy when games with this amount of polish and soul get released. But why would anything good ever happen in this world anyway.
It's pretty crazy numbers when you think about that the game a) is horror and hence not as mass appealing and b) hasn't been heavily discounted so far. I'm sure Capcom is very pleased with these numbers and has the investment already covered.

Mr Hyde

Well deserved. GOTY for me so far in 2019 (because that´s the only game I´ve played so far that´s been released this year, lel). Waiting for Ghost Survivors to drop. Need me some more RE2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope to see sell even more so we could get more third person survival horror in the future.

Roni

Gold Member
Game's great, so I'm happy with the numbers. My wallet's ready for 3's remake.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Not so great in the current market but strong enough debut I guess. Doesn’t bode well for DMC either since I’d argue that game has far less appeal than even Resident Evil.

I’d like to think that Capcom has managed their resources well however. They won’t see monster hunter success and I imagine these games are more expensive to make than monhun also.

I still haven’t played this. The og is one of my top 5 experiences ever. Will get it when it goes to 20$ with a psn flash sale by Memorial Day.

pawel86ck

Banned
4 million units for a multiplatform game is far from OK. Well I'm guessing we will not see RE3 remake after all, not to mention Dino Crisis.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
4 million units for a multiplatform game is far from OK. Well I'm guessing we will not see RE3 remake after all, not to mention Dino Crisis.

Curently its doing better than RE7 (3,5 at the same time). For a remake to do that ( outsold a true nextgen resident evil game) is outstanding

4 m in one month, by the end of the year itl probably reach 7- 8 m copy sold

Correct me if im wrong but i remember awhile ago Capcom said if it reach 2 m thats enough to break even

At this point another remake (RE3) is absolutely guaranteed ( not to mentioned theres plenty leakers said RE3 is already in the work)

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Curently its doing better than RE7 (3,5 at the same time). For a remake to do that ( outsold a true nextgen resident evil game) is outstanding

4 m in one month, by the end of the year itl probably reach 7- 8 m copy sold

Correct me if im wrong but i remember awhile ago Capcom said if it reach 2 m thats enough to break even

At this point another remake (RE3) is absolutely guaranteed ( not to mentioned theres plenty leakers said RE3 is already in the work)
I hope you are right but I was expecting more because people talked about RE2R on many different gaming forums and I thought interest like that will translate into some more impressive numbers. I wasnt expecting GTA5 sales (100 million), and even the witcher 3 (30 million) but 4 million is just too low.
Another capcom game monster hunter world sold 12 million so I doubt capcom is motivated to do another remakes when they can develop another monster hunter world game and sell it with better results.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Im not really one for sending messages to publishers with my actions, as if they notice my tiny little purchasing habits, but I went out of my way to pre-order RE2, and to do it digitally. I hope they get the message that i'm there with my money for this sort of fan pleasing output.

Four million in 1 month. Isn't this ok-ish for a game like this? It sure feels like an AAA title in terms of polish, but I've heard it actually was developed with a much smaller budget. I personally think it deserves much higher numbers as it's a rare occurence of a finished, well thought out videogame. Kinda sad to see that people are not going crazy when games with this amount of polish and soul get released. But why would anything good ever happen in this world anyway.
That's the joke...
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/05/25/...ting-resi-7-sales-reviving-old-ips-and-switch
https://www.shacknews.com/article/77763/capcom-analyzing-resident-evil-6s-disappointing-sales

RE6 and 7 by the way, are in Capcom's top 5 best sellers....

Bkdk

This is great news, this is a remake using the same engine as RE7, the budget of this game should be no more than 50 million USD, by the end of the year with 50% off discounts this will likely hit 8-9 million units sold which is a huge success. I think they should release RE8 next, but can be payed as Jill in similar environment as RE3 while advancing the story, should satisfy both the remake RE3 crowd and the ones that want the story to continue.

scalman

And how many copies will be sold rebought as used and reused again and so on.
So if 100 people played re2 only 50 copies could be sold or even less.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Very good sales for a game with no real multiplayer, I can see it selling 7m by the end of the year, also it’s a single player horror game so the sales wasn’t gonna be 10m.

For a remake (and take note, this is the way a remake is supposed to be done) considering its over 20 yrs old this is pretty decent I think, as another person mentioned it hasn't really been discounted to my knowledge. RE2 R is definitely a labor of love though, I can only hope for more proper remakes like these, not just for Resident Evil but for other series that deserve labor of love remakes, the next closest currently that comes to mind for me was the Shadow of the Colossus remake.

Mokus

I hope you are right but I was expecting more because people talked about RE2R on many different gaming forums and I thought interest like that will translate into some more impressive numbers. I wasnt expecting GTA5 sales (100 million), and even the witcher 3 (30 million) but 4 million is just too low.
Another capcom game monster hunter world sold 12 million so I doubt capcom is motivated to do another remakes when they can develop another monster hunter world game and sell it with better results.
For EA 4 million is too low.

xrnzaaas

I rarely buy full priced games on day1, but I've made an exception here and it was a good deal. I hope that we won't have to wait too long for REmake 3. :)

I'm worried they're going to learn the wrong lesson from the success of this game. Standard/Game Journalist difficulty (autosaves as well as more ammo than you ever need) is now what the average player expects, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next numbered title repeats similar mistakes to RE6 (complete casualization).

Last edited:

Moses85

Good sales for a Brand which was ruined by its owner and a great job from the new Team behind the remake.

On my way to platinum baby! Two more trophy’s left (S-Rank Claire and not opening an item box)

The Shepard

This game will have legs as it'll be ported to every machine imaginable in a future near you.

I brought it day one and loved it, hit me with Resi 3make next capcom.

Lino

Neo Member

You don't need to worry I'm pretty sure this sold more than MHW did in it's first month, and I'm sure it will end up selling around 10 millions during it's lifetime making it the best selling RE game of all time

Last edited:

subsmoke

I think these are really good numbers and about in line with how RE5 did. I remember reading that RE5 sold 5 million in a couple months. It's kinda surprising that it's doing so well given that it's a remake and a straight horror game without a ton of action.

Moses85

You don't need to worry I'm pretty sure this sold more than MHW did in it's first month, and I'm sure it will end up selling around 10 millions during it's lifetime making it the best selling RE game of all time

Don’t forget that the install base (PS4 90 Million, Xbox One 30 Million, PC idk but massive) is extremely huge.

BUT!

The survival horror games and the genre arent mainstream enough like FPS ore RPGS.

Sales are quiet well for now, more sold units to follow and RE3 Remake coming for sure!

Top Bottom