• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Remake Review Thread

Mista

Banned
resident-evil-3-remake-wallpaper.jpg

Game Informer: 9/10
This is another spectacular remake for the series, and Nemesis is an imposing enemy who relentlessly chases you throughout the game.

USgamer: 3.5/5
Resident Evil 3 finally repositions its place as not just a true sequel to Resident Evil 2, but as a bridge to Resident Evil 4, both in action and plot. While it streamlines the formula of Resident Evil 2 into something more linear, it's still the best way to dodge through Raccoon City with Jill and Carlos, even with Nemesis always on your tail and the occasional clunkiness here and there. With a breezy runtime, Resident Evil 3 is well worth revisiting. Just maybe not Resident Evil Resistance.

Destructoid: 8/10
The remake of Resident Evil 3 is going to be divisive, just as the original was.

TheSixthAxis: 9/10
Capcom have done a marvellous job with Resident Evil 3, reviving another of their beloved survival horror classics and making it feel completely fresh once again. Nemesis is back and he's here to smash your face in.

Wccftech: 8.5/10
Resident Evil 3 is the franchise's best action-driven entry since the glory days of Resident Evil 4. A beautifully-balanced combination of white-knuckle mayhem and satisfying old-school tension, Resident Evil 3 is compulsively-munchable popcorn entertainment that, unfortunately, disappears all too quickly. If you're looking for value, there are certainly meatier games out there, but few that will leave you licking your fingers as happily as this one.

ACG (@Karak ): Wait for Sale

EGM: 4/5
It was always a long shot that a new take on Resident Evil 3 was going to be able to live up to the expectations set by 2019's Resident Evil 2 remake, and that's exactly the case here. Still, beyond a few examples of missed potential, this is another stellar attempt by Capcom to bring its survival horror series into the modern era, and retains a sense of individuality and personality that make it stand out from its peers.

Twinfinite: 3.5/5
It’s so damn good, but it’s disappointingly brief. The game looks stunning and it plays fantastically well, but I’ve beaten it twice and I don’t feel as though my hunger for Resident Evil has been satiated.

God is a Geek: 9/10
Resident Evil 3 is a superb remake of the original, with Nemesis being the clear highlight. Although inventory management and aiming can be a problem, it's still a fantastic game.

Easy Allies: 8.5/10
Resident Evil 3 is a superb reimagining that complements last year’s Resident Evil 2 by prioritizing frantic action without compromising its horror roots. Jill and Carlos’s emotional journey is bolstered by threats that build their bond in convincing ways, while Nemesis remains one of the series’ most memorable creations. More than a few surprises await veteran residents of Raccoon City.

DualShockers: 8.5/10
I would absolutely recommend Resident Evil 3 and would not be surprised if a sizable portion of the fandom ends up preferring this remake.

Push Square: 7/10
Resident Evil 3 had the potential to better its classic predecessor, but a disappointing amount of cut content and the let down that is Nemesis hold it back from greatness. It's still an experience very much worth revisiting, with Raccoon City and the hospital receiving a lot of love and attention, however, it only makes us question what could have been that little bit more.

PC Gamer: 58/100
Both the Nemesis and Raccoon City are massively underused in this disappointing step back for the series.

MetaCritic: 81

ePMwLnv.png

OpenCritic: 81

ImZCGHx.png

Last edited:
ACG - Wait For Sale. Hmmm...

I have to admit that I found the Nemesis kind of annoying in the original but I still finished it like 10 times. I might wait for the first sale (i.e. ~ 20-30% off).

Ellery

A little bit lower than expected, but I see no reason to worry for me.

One thing that is a shame for some people is the performance of the Xbox One X version (according to the reviews) which is weird considering that the Xbox One X is the current POWER KING in the console space. They should lower the resolution on the Xbox console to a hit a smoother framerate

isual

it was to be expected. this is why they added the multiplayer aspect, because how could they justify 59.99 USD for just a single player game when it is so short in playthrough.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Much like RE2 Ill get it on sale, however I feel I will like RE2 better than RE3. Dissappiting to hear though they grease up an old wheel and ship it instead of trying to reinvent it even a little bit

THEAP99

Banned
Wow seems like I was way off on this one (Originally predicted 89 on MC). This is a yikes & a pass for me until it drops down to like $10 maybe.

-Troid-

Banned
Yeah originally I was going to get this instead of DOOM Eternal since they were out around the same time. Glad I changed my mind. Gonna wait on a sale for this as RE1 and 2 were always my jam, but not so much 3; kinda sucks they didn't add much to this remake.

Saber

Gold Member
Almost all reviewers call it fantastic, two reviewers call it 'just good, but sometimes disappointing'.

GAF: Yeah, I'll wait for a sale.

From what I read, the problem here is a short campaign, which is a totally valid complain for a singleplayer game.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
So, as far as I'm reading:
  • Emphasizing action over horror.
  • Less intricate level design compared to its predecesor.
  • Nemesis is a glorified set piece.
  • Jill went from a competent officer to an action hero that would make John Rambo blush.
  • Toned-down gore and interactions.
  • Less puzzles.
  • Shorter run-time.
  • No replay value.
  • Actually removing content from the original.
The problem with remaking Resident Evil 3... is that you're remaking Resident Evil 3.
My expectations were already low since I'm not a fan of the original game (and the demo didn't help) but this is just terrible.

Last edited:
Looking forward to playing it but just cant justify full price for the amount of the content especially since I have zero interest in the multiplayer component. Will probably pick it up somewhere down the line.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
My expectations were already low since I'm not a fan of the original game (and the demo didn't help) but this is just terrible.
Eh, I personally feel like that's a bit over dramatic. I don't think this is terrible at all. It's not like the reviews are abysmal.

Honestly 2 was a much better and heartier game than 3 was regardless. I'm just bummed that the game isn't at least 10 hours and/or has Mercenaries thrown in.

Still excited about it for consistencies sake. But maybe it did need some more time in the oven.

Aranea

My biggest complain is the game cutting locations and some enemies. The original RE 3 was already a short game so i don't see how cutting on stuff that was on the original game was a good idea.

Everything looked too good so far to be true, 5h game, many cuts, no Mercenaries, and no multiple paths ( I know, this was said a Long time ago but I was hoping in more new contents) for full prince

No, thanks, I want to play it but I'll wait for a significant price drop

Yikes? Because the MC was off from your prediction by a few decimals? You people are nuts.
Or because its a 6 hour game developed in a year with recycled assets that removes key locations from the original? I mean, I think the game looks good but I also think it has "rush job" written all over it. Its understandable that people would be hesitant to drop full price.

Nemesis being a set piece is the best news for me. Don't want that hoe chasing me while I'm trying to explore. Mr. X was annoying af in RE2. 6 hours is kinda short, but I don't like playing the same game too long anyways. Only reason I may not get it day 1 is cause I'm still playing Nioh 1 and Ori 2

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Disappointingly mixed reviews. Wonder how the performance is on Xbox One X after the demo had such a poor showing (dips down to 30 FPS, etc).

Pagusas

Elden Member
Surprising, I know a lot of people thought this would score better than FF7R. I don’t think it will.

So people are shocked by the length?? RE2R is 6-7 on a first play through and 5 for a second run.

It's the pacing which makes both this game and the original fun to go through multiple times, theres no shitty castle/military island to drag it down like RE4 for example.

I finished RE2R more the 3 times in a row and i'm going for a 4th run now before RE3R is here.

This is the kind of replayablity i like.

SuperGooey

It annoys me that RE3 is being reviewed separate from REsistance. During interviews, any time people ask Capcom "what about multiple endings, live-select choices and mercenaries like in the original?" Capcom passes the buck onto REsistance, claiming that's the source of "replayability." I think reviewing them as one package would actually lower the overall review score, which is what Capcom should have been prepared for for putting so much stock in a multiplayer game that no one wanted.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So, as far as I'm reading:
  • Emphasizing action over horror.
  • Less intricate level design compared to its predecesor.
  • Nemesis is a glorified set piece.
  • Jill went from a competent officer to an action hero that would make John Rambo blush.
  • Toned-down gore and interactions.
  • Less puzzles.
  • Shorter run-time.
  • No replay value.
  • Actually removing content from the original.
The problem with remaking Resident Evil 3... is that you're remaking Resident Evil 3.

Some people don't know that the original game was only 6 hours long.

And all the ways it's 7/10?

That's why it's averaging out to a 8/10 here with all sites combined.

Last edited:
Top Bottom