• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronica Releasing This Fall, as Downloadable Games

Plasma

Banned
Speedymanic said:
What the hell is going on what the guy in the background?

In that scene there were a lot of enemies, so I'm guessing they used a lower poly model for the ones in the back.

RedSwirl said:
So basically it'll look how we remember it.

Edit: How many of you guys have played RE4 on an HDTV recently? Trust me, it looks nearly that bad.

Not according to Capcom.

According to Capcom, the game was completely blurry, covered in vaseline fliter, and had fat horizontal scanlines all over it.

Those comparison shots are some serious bullshit. But it's RE4, I replay it twice a year anyway. I'll happily pay for a straight XBLA port for the convenience of being able to hop into the game at any time (as opposed to setting up my PS2.)

Dartastic

Well, these are some pretty damn fake "comparison" shots. GTFO, Capcom. Put some fucking effort into these remakes, ffs.

...and please remake RE2. With actual effort as well.

Plasma said:
In that scene there were a lot of enemies, so I'm guessing they used a lower poly model for the ones in the back.

Ah, makes sense.

It's been a while since I last played it, but does anyone remember if the PS2 version was that blurry?

I'm almost certain it wasn't, but rose tinted glasses, etc.

Heh - anti-bullshots. Make the game look worse in its original version, so the "HD" editions look that much better by comparison.

And what the hell is up the Ganado straight out of Minecraft in one of those pics?

pulga

Banned
What the fuck is up with that blurry mess. No way RE4 looked THAT bad.

Stupid Capcom trying to trick us. *shakes fist*

FunkyPajamas said:
Also, 1080p @60fps or bust.

Neither game is going to be 60fps. Not even the PC version of RE4 could be unlocked to 60fps (probably because the animations were done with 30fps in mind.)

I'm not sure I'd even want RE4 to be 60fps, just because I'm so used to playing it at 30fps.

tim1138

Net_Wrecker said:
This looks like a lazy as hell HD port, but it's a downloadable RE4...

I ain't passing that up.

And that's why companies will keep churning out these bare bones ports.

"Oh well its x, so even though it's a lazy port I'll still buy it."

tiff

Banned
I just played RE4 last week and I don't remember it looking quite that bad.

I mean, it's certainly a step down from this gen, but not that big a step.

New screens:
PmId9.jpg

ICWsN.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Someone needs to do the OP with Dolphin vs the HD port shots, lighting does seem a little flat in the remake.

Vard

I was really hoping this was a disc release. As ridiculous as it sounds, I'll have to wait and see pricing and filesizes before I'm completely sold on getting it now. :/

Auron

Not impressed at all with their fake comparison shots. It looks like they took a cell phone pic of the worst scan from a low-rez video of the game out of a GameFan and posted it as a comparison shot. In truth, the new version doesn't look a whole lot better than the Wii version I already own.

Luigiv

Kajiba said:
Ffffffffuuuuuu. I have no space as is on my 360. Does anybody now what the size in gigs RE4 was on the gamecube?
Should be about 2GB. The game came on 2 disc (1.5GB each) but 80% of the content was on the first disc.

However this doesn't really make for a good metric as to how big the HD version will be, since it not unheard of for multiplats and ports to vary in size across systems.

For example, Megaman 9 is 8MB on Wii, 63MB on PS3 and 89MB on 360.

Mithos

Loaded up my Wii savegame, the comparison is so fake, the Wii version looks like the HD version + more jaggies due to lower resolution.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, basically, HD remake is "unblur filter."

Funny, I don't recall Bio4 looking that fuzzy on Gamecube on an HDTV before.

Oh, wow.

Those are some real dishonest comparisons.

Real, actual comparisons would have still benefited RE4 HD. They didn't need to straight up fake shots.

those comparisons are just edits in photoshop imo, they highlight the left side, drop it to some shitty res then resize it again, add some blur and walla homemade comparison shit :(

capcom you suck.

Minsc

Gold Member
RE4c02M.jpg

Here's an absolutely horribly shot (not professional at all) I took from my HDTV a long time ago running the Wii version.

It looked way better in person too, the camera adds a lot of blur and bleeding.

TheSeks said:
So, basically, HD remake is "unblur filter."

Funny, I don't recall Bio4 looking that fuzzy on Gamecube on an HDTV before.

It's certainly crisper than that on the Wii. Also, as download titles? Awesome! Not gonna re-buy (I'm not cvxfreak ;) ) but at probably 15 quid or something that's not bad.

Mithos said:
Whats up with those fake comparison shot, NO WAY the Gamecube/Wii versions looked that bad.
If you're playing it with composite cables on a sub-par LCD then I'd say that it would look something like that.

Mithos said:
Loaded up my Wii savegame, the comparison is so fake, the Wii version looks like the HD version + more jaggies due to lower resolution.

Wrong comparison to make, boot up the PS2 version (if you have it).

It's becoming more and more obvious they've decided to port the PS2 version. I don't remember there being that low poly model in the GC version, but then it's been years since I last played it.

A download version changes my expectations in a lot of ways.

My price expectation has dropped from around £20-25 for both gamesin a single retail pack to less than £10(1200 MSpoints) each.

And before Capcom tries to price themselves out of the Market, RE4 is one of the best games ever, but so is Portal and Portal was only 1200 points on XBLA. RE4 is 6 years old and has been available on every platform under the sun, there is no reason for you to get greedy and try to charge something ridiculous like 1600 points.

Beyond Good and Evil HD was only 800. Make Code: Veronica 800 and RE4 800-1200 and I think you'll get a lot of people jumping on board. Please don't screw us, I bought RE4 on the Gamecube, PS2 and Wii. I bought the Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, I bought the Dreamcast version of Code: Veronica 3 times. (PAL version, then the US version to get it to run at 60hz, then the Japanese Complete version)

If this is just a couple of bare bones ports with no real effort put into them, just to grab some extra money from those die-hard fans and the 3 people on earth who haven't played RE4, then do the right thing and keep the price low. RE4 in any form for 800 points/$10 is basically what you pay for the Wii version on Amazon right now anyway.

Speedymanic said:
Wrong comparison to make, boot up the PS2 version (if you have it).

It's becoming more and more obvious they've decided to port the PS2 version. I don't remember there being that low poly model in the GC version, but then it's been years since I last played it.
doesn't even look like the ps2, looks like the shit fest non lit flat looking pc port, gamecube assets or not it looks terrible.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kyoufu said:
Does it matter?

Yep. I still like owning most releases on physical media, but it's clear Capcom have decided not to follow the typical PS2 classics route with these.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
shocked at people complaining about no retail release... wtf????? does a retail release somehow make this so much better?

regardless... umm.. I might be in on CVX if the price is right. RE4 I won't touch with a 10 foot pole without Move support.

The comparison pictures are hilarious. (laughs)

I'm just shaking my head thinking yea the RE4 I played (twice, GameCube and Wii) didn't look like that. Not sure what one Capcom think they're improving on lol.

On a disc I'd pay more than I would downloadable, better be on the cheaper end of things or I'll probably pass despite RE4 being one of my most fav games of all time.

I'm a collector, just a fan of having physical copies of things so I don't mind paying the higher price for them, download stuff I'm way more picky with spending and cost.

Top Bottom