• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronica Releasing This Fall, as Downloadable Games

Effect

Can they even release the GameCube or Wii versions of RE4 on the 360 and PS3? Or Cube version of RE:CV? Or would they have to port the PS2 and PC versions of the games? Copyright issues? Or does that not matter?

What the hell happened to Krauser's arm?

re4_comparisonscreen5_hxz8.jpg

StevieP

Banned
I posted in the other thread about how Capcom would go and do something stupid like port the PC version (which is based off the shitty PS2 version, complete with awful lighting) to ruin these ports. And it looks like I was, sadly, right.

Can they even release the GameCube or Wii versions of RE4 on the 360 and PS3? Or would they have to port the PS2 and PC versions of the games? Copyright issues? Or does that not matter?

I don't know the rules in this regard, but the screens speak for themselves. It's the PC version.

Silh

If I can't get CV separately I'm probably not gonna bother with this.

edit: whoops, never mind. Quality still looks like shit though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kagari said:
Yep. I still like owning most releases on physical media, but it's clear Capcom have decided not to follow the typical PS2 classics route with these.

You're not really missing much since the star of this re-release is Bio4. Bio:CVX is pure ass. (Sorry, CVX, but it's true. :()

Man, those "before" pics were purposefully made to look worse. I played RE4 Wii Edition yesterday, and it's not that KY Jelly smeared mess shown in those comparison shots.

olimpia84

They should be ashamed of releasing those comparison pics...what version of RE4 is that? who are they trying to fool?

Angry Fork

NinjaDOF[MSV] said:
what's this obsession with disk releases?
I'm wondering the same thing. For new games I understand but RE4 is so old and has so many different releases i'm wondering why people are complaining about DD only.

cvxfreak

TheSeks said:
You're not really missing much since the star of this re-release is Bio4. Bio:CVX is pure ass. (Sorry, CVX, but it's true. :()

I declare your opinion on all matters RE invalidated.

Dartastic

Jocchan said:
Ducktails[IMG]

Wait. I think I'll have the SD version, thank you.[/QUOTE]
...I think I want to swing that way as well....
[QUOTE=cvxfreak]I declare your opinion on all matters RE invalidated.[/QUOTE]
Yup. CV was gooooooooooood.

JoeFenix

What the fuck... RE4 looks like it's based on the ps2 version! Fuck this shit, I don't care if it's downloadable but this version looks like complete ass!

Capcom is being ultra retarded recently, wtf is wrong with them?

cvxfreak said:
I declare your opinion on all matters RE invalidated.

There was a lot of hating on Code Veronica in the recent "RE4 is still so good" thread. It annoyed me. But I couldn't come up with a single reason to defend the game except for the fact that I enjoyed it.

Dipswitch

$15/1200 points a pop would be fair. Not saying I'll actually pay that, but that seems like a good starting point. Anything more than that and I'll be waiting for a sale thankyouverymuch.

LiK

Dead Man Typing said:
There was a lot of hating on Code Veronica in the recent "RE4 is still so good" thread. It annoyed me. But I couldn't come up with a single reason to defend the game except for the fact that I enjoyed it.
CVX was a nice precursor to RE5.

Rflagg

Even with the quick buck methods I might bite on cvx. I really enjoyed that game and I can lie to myself that I will be sending them a positive message that people still enjoy more horror orientated style of the older resident evils.

Sadly the only message the likely will get is we can milk our fans for easy money.

So how many times has Mikami cut off his head now?

Still depressed as hell with him...he's capable of so much more than what he's put out lately...

MoogPaul

Code Veronica will be purchased. I'll stay with Wii + Dolphin emulator thank you very much. Wish CV would work on PSP but doubtful. Maybe NGP?

cvxfreak

Dead Man Typing said:

You couldn't come up with a reason to defend because there has yet to be a critique on CV that was actually good or didn't apply to other games in the series. Picking your favorite traditional RE is like asking you to pick your favorite color.

Dartastic

Dead Man Typing said:
...and that should be enough. The only thing bad I can honestly think about it was that Steve was, um, annoying. It's been a long time since I played it, but it was pretty enjoyable back in the day.
cvxfreak said:
You couldn't come up with a reason to defend because there has yet to be a critique on CV that was actually good or didn't apply to other games in the series. Picking your favorite traditional RE is like asking you to pick your favorite color.
Well said.

Luigiv

re4_comparisonscreen2_6a44.jpg

Just noticed, what the hell is wrong with the LoD scaling? It wasn't like that on the GCN was it? But then again, this is a cutscene, which means it has to be the GCN version. Fix this shit Capcom. With higher res comes new artifacts.

elohel

Speedymanic said:
RE4 on GC didn't anyway close to as bad as it does in those comparison screens. Maybe PS2, but not GC.

Anyway,

What the hell is going on what the guy in the background?

LOD

lol maybe?

also its gonna take em that long just to do THAT

dunno bout this one capcom

ghostmind

I'm not getting the hate for DD instead of retail either.

With DD you have it right there whenever you want it. Yes, you have to manage your HDD space and there are bandwidth caps to consider. The PS2 version was what, 3GB? I could see them getting it compressed down to half that.

With all this talk of companies ditching manuals and using cases that are full of holes, I'm not sure what is so beneficial about a retail release, other than another spine to go in the alphabetized collection on your bookshelf.

Yuterald

cvxfreak said:

I agree. While I love Resident Evil 4, PRE-RE4 games are the best and Code Veronica was fucking bad ass. Wesker is ALL over the place in that game, shadow dashing, running up walls, holy shit that was reason enough to flip out over CV. Also, it's THE hardest RE game to A Rank. I nearly shit myself when I pulled it off, one of my most satisfying accomplishments in gaming.

I don't understand CV hate either. The games tough, has a great soundtrack (one of my fav save room tracks), its got an uncomfortable atmosphere, it's lengthy, and it's got one of the coolest battle games in any Resident Evil game.

To stay on topic, Capcom is pulling a Ubisoft! This looks horrible, wtf is Capcom doing!?

StevieP

Banned
Luigiv said:
Just noticed, what the hell is wrong with the LoD scaling? It wasn't like that on the GCN was it? But then again, this is a cutscene, which means it has to be the GCN version. Fix this shit Capcom. With higher res comes new artifacts.

This looks like the PC version.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a chance to play RE4 yet, so I could care less how much they touch up the graphics I'll be DL'ing this day one.

I sold my GameCube to a buddy before it came out on that, my PS2's laser stopped working a few weeks before it was released and I don't and won't play Nintendo Wii.

StevieP

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
I sold my GameCube to a buddy before it came out on that, my PS2's laser stopped working a few weeks before it was released and I don't and won't play Nintendo Wii.

Unfortunate. Looks like it's the best version still. Doubly-so if you play it on Dolphin.

sublimit

Banned
olimpia84 said:
They should be ashamed of releasing those comparison pics...what version of RE4 is that? who are they trying to fool?

Well at least it provided some good laughs here lol.
But really Capcoms' image just dropped another few points after this lame attempt.They must really think gamers are idiots.

Luigiv

StevieP said:
This looks like the PC version.
The PC version's cutscenes are just a recording of the GCN version though. The fact the screenshot is in 720p means it has to have been rerendered from the GCN data.

Went from really exciting, to not exciting... for me anyways. Was expecting new RE game, then I was settling for REmakes, now HD ports? nothx.

JoeFenix

Luigiv said:
The PC version's cutscenes are just a recording of the GCN version though. The fact the screenshot is in 720p means it has to have been rerendered from the GCN data.

It seems to be rendering real-time with ps2/pc assets, fucking garbage, I guess they didn't feel like recoding the gamecube specific effects.

There is no way I'm buying this crap, laziest of lazy ports. I'd expect this from Ubisoft, not from Capcom...

Go_Ly_Dow

How can they not release a physical version? Don't they care about CVXfreaks RE4 collection!? =(

LiK said:
Really? It'll be cheaper.

Well if they released each game for £12.99 or £14.99 each then it wouldn't be for me. If this was released as a HD classic I could probably find it for £17.99 or £19.99 on some website on release.

I'll probably skip it, unless some additional content is announced. That comparison isn't really helping either.

Cels

1) port the wii/gc version at least for better graphics
2) do something beyond simple hd, not necessarily god of war collection level shit but please let's not see another prince of persia rushjob.
3) move controls. shouldn't be that hard to implement since wii already has the controls.
4) the option to have RE5 style controls. old-school controls are fine too, (iirc on PS2 it was to aim, X to shoot?) but the OPTION to have RE5-style controls (L1 to aim, R1 to shoot) would be nice.

come on capcom, to be the "definitive" version you need to do WAY MORE than what it looks like you're doing...

Z_Y

Hmmm... I remember playing CV on DC. I couldn't get past that monster in the cargo bay of a plane (?). Didn't have enough ammo and no other saves.

Top Bottom