• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Spaceman292

Banned
So uh….how bout them Ganados? Have any fun kills you’d like to share? What’s your best score? Found that TMP yet? How bout that Parry system?

No? Ok we’ll keep talking about resolution and aiming for another 10 pages. Sorry, thought we could talk about the game. My bad homies.

Edit: Ok! So there was like one moment where I got to the top of the stairs, and I shot a Ganado, and he fell down the stairs. Like an actual animation for falling down the stairs. He knocked down other enemies too. It was hilarious and felt awesome! And then there was this one guy who baited a Ganado into a bear trap-

Oh oh fuck sorry. What came over me? Right graphics. Aiming. Deadzones. Uh pre-order cancelled.
Hey boi you're not allowed to like video games here. Only complain about the most tiny minutiae.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But do you have both consoles? I mean, for sure you can pick a screenshot from PS5 that looks sharp, game looks amazing, but that doesn't invalidate that in same scene it looks less sharper than series X, that's a fact you can check if you have both versions.

However, that's irrelevant. In fact it bothers me way more the difference in accuracy when aiming than the difference in resolution. It's easier to aim in Ps5 than in series X. Analog deadzone in this game for Xbox is HUGE 😪
Your Xbox Series X shot
x65st3s.jpg

My PS5 shot
Qz1Piyx.jpg

🤔

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Still haven't unlocked Mad Chainsaw Mode despite playing the demo 10x now. I did manage to get 10k in my last run though, so that was nice. The gameplay is so damn fun, Mercenaries Mode is gonna be crazy good in this.
I unlocked it once, but the first time my PC crashed on me
the second time, i died (and you can't just retry like in normal mode so i was fucked)

Madflavor

I unlocked it once, but the first time my PC crashed on me
the second time, i died (and you can't just retry like in normal mode so i was fucked)

Aw shit that sucks.

I will say the one thing I actually really don't like about the demo is that you can't save at that typewriter. It'd be nice if you could just keep playing the Village over and over, but you gotta keep doing the intro.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
downloaded it on PC to get around the horrible controls on console.

runs pretty well on my 3060ti.
with RT on "normal" I get between 60 and 80 fps without any reconstruction.
when using checkerboarding (interlacing) I get 90fps+

with FSR2 (which doesn't look that great here imo) I get around 80fps to 90fps

here are my settings, I didn't optimize much, so these might not even be optimal for my card.

settingsbpf6w.png
1440p, no reconstruction, most settings high, RAYTRACING ENABLED, 60-90 fps.
on a 3060ti.
that's not right

Last edited:

Banned
thats really high considering the RT being enabled and the settings.
one guy with a 3080 here said that their frames dropped to under 60 when they enabled RT. how is it that fast

at what resolution was he playing tho?

I can record a video later showing my performance with the exact settings I posted.

TonyK

Your Xbox Series X shot
x65st3s.jpg

My PS5 shot
Qz1Piyx.jpg

🤔
I think anyone with both consoles can confirm Xbox version looks better (all people here and in Era with both consoles agree on this). It's not trolling, console warring or whatever, it's a fact. People as me that have both consoles don't give a shit about team blue or team green, we only like videogames and we want to choose the best version.

It's because that I have no problem pointing out how bad is the aiming for the Xbox version. And you will not see anyone doubting about that and saying aiming is better in Xbox than in Ps5, because again, it's a fact, not an opinion.

Is IQ horrible in Ps5? Of course not, it looks great. Is it unplayable in Xbox because of aiming? Of course not, it's perfectly playable. So for people with only one console there is no problem, it's an amazing game independently of the platform.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
at what resolution was he playing tho?

I can record a video later showing my performance with the exact settings I posted.
Of course fully maxed out at 4k.. Fps around 50.
i stand corrected. he was playing 4k fully maxed while you're playing 1440p med-high. getting upwards of 60-80 fps with raytracing is what gets me though. normally on midtier cards like the 3060ti you'd get like 20 fps less than that with raytracing

Banned
i stand corrected. he was playing 4k fully maxed while you're playing 1440p med-high. getting upwards of 60-80 fps with raytracing is what gets me though. normally on midtier cards like the 3060ti you'd get like 20 fps less than that with raytracing

no you don't o_O
I always play single player games that offer it with RT on.
I literally played a few hours of Cyberpunk with RT reflections at ~60fps. at 1440p with DLSS
and Cyberpunk is one of the most demanding RT games out there.

in more toned down RT implementations like in the RE games or in FarCry 6 for example, having RT on barely makes a dent in performance on the 3060ti.

the RT in resident evil is really easy to run, I mean the consoles run the game with RT at 60fps and the RT hardware in the consoles is a joke compared to the 3060ti's RT performance

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think anyone with both consoles can confirm Xbox version looks better (all people here and in Era with both consoles agree on this). It's not trolling, console warring or whatever, it's a fact. People as me that have both consoles don't give a shit about team blue or team green, we only like videogames and we want to choose the best version.

It's because that I have no problem pointing out how bad is the aiming for the Xbox version. And you will not see anyone doubting about that and saying aiming is better in Xbox than in Ps5, because again, it's a fact, not an opinion.

Is IQ horrible in Ps5? Of course not, it looks great. Is it unplayable in Xbox because of aiming? Of course not, it's perfectly playable. So for people with only one console there is no problem, it's an amazing game independently of the platform.
I was just pointing out that both of those shots you posted looked like shit and don't represent the quality of the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure what you use to capture it or did to make it look that bad but it was a disservice to both platforms

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
no you don't o_O
I always play single player games that offer it with RT on.
I literally played a few hours of Cyberpunk with RT reflections at ~60fps. at 1440p with DLSS
and Cyberpunk is one of the most demanding RT games out there.

in more toned down RT implementations like in the RE games or in FarCry 6 for example, having RT on barely makes a dent in performance on the 3060ti.

the RT in resident evil is really easy to run, I mean the consoles run the game with RT at 60fps and the RT hardware in the consoles is a joke compared to the 3060ti's RT performance
looked it up and holy shit you're right
benchmarks show consistent 60fps. if it's that good on a 3060ti i cant imagine how good itd be on a 3080
that's actually really impressive. I'd buy but Nvidia + RT support on Linux isn't very good :(

TonyK

I was just pointing out that both of those shots you posted looked like shit and don't represent the quality of the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure what you use to capture it or did to make it look that bad but it was a disservice to both platforms
Is your screenshot from performance mode?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So a few things from the demo
- tower has a little twist
- you can have two chainsaw guys
- you can find a secret area and the TMP in the village
- there's a random optional hard mode
- there's a locked drawer. Nobody found the key yet

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played the demo few more times on ps5 and pc...
honestly I am not happy with ps5 version. It only holds in vrr (48fps+) window in performance mode without Rt and without Strand hair. Any other combination and the game craps it's pants and goes below 48fps often.
On top of that, strand hair looks like shit in comparison to pc and normal hair is very pxielated.
The game looks soft and dithered over all....

On pc it looks much better and performs better aside from crashes. I found that at 4k maxed, textures vram high 2gb and interlacing seem rather safe. Around 9gb of vram used out of 10 on 3080. Anything more than that, even fsr ultra quality and it has a high chance of crashing.\

Of course ps5 got much better dualsense controls and 3d audio. PC got mouse and keyboard

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can’t wait to try out the magnum. Does some major damage leveled up to max damage.

I got the TMP. That was fun to use. I saw that locked drawer too. I wonder where the key is.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I have yet to be able to trigger the second salvador that people say is inside the house opposite of the shotgun house.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GUYS! We found a fucking way to get the mad chainsaw mode 100% consistently!

Go to the start menu, and I shit you not, do the following:

Hold L1 + R1
Up left down right
Square triangel cirkel x x

Enjoy 100% mad chainsaw mode!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Played the demo few more times on ps5 and pc...
honestly I am not happy with ps5 version. It only holds in vrr (48fps+) window in performance mode without Rt and without Strand hair. Any other combination and the game craps it's pants and goes below 48fps often.
On top of that, strand hair looks like shit in comparison to pc and normal hair is very pxielated.
The game looks soft and dithered over all....

On pc it looks much better and performs better aside from crashes. I found that at 4k maxed, textures vram high 2gb and interlacing seem rather safe. Around 9gb of vram used out of 10 on 3080. Anything more than that, even fsr ultra quality and it has a high chance of crashing.\

Of course ps5 got much better dualsense controls and 3d audio. PC got mouse and keyboard
Turn off rt, hair and increase textures to high. Rt makes zero difference in this game. Native resolution is much better.

Generic

The original RE4 is much better.

The controls are fucking garbage. Enemies are bullet sponges yet there is so little ammo.

It's a shame because I was looking forward to this so much.
Yeah, the RE2 Remake team can't make good action games. Capcom should've let the RE3 Remake do this game instead.

Shakka43

The original RE4 is much better.

The controls are fucking garbage. Enemies are bullet sponges yet there is so little ammo.

It's a shame because I was looking forward to this so much.
Enemies are bullet sponge on the original too, the games have a weapon upgrade system for a reason. I have run the demo several times killed enemies in the 20's until the Bell sounds and still have some bullets left on me most of the time as enemies drop a good enough amount.

Roufianos

Enemies are bullet sponge on the original too, the games have a weapon upgrade system for a reason. I have run the demo several times killed enemies in the 20's until the Bell sounds and still have some bullets left on me most of the time as enemies drop a good enough amount.
I think the difference is that Gonados in the original react to every shot whereas here they take everything in their stride unless it's a headshot. We'll have to see how the upgrades affect that.

DavidGzz

Yeah, the RE2 Remake team can't make good action games. Capcom should've let the RE3 Remake do this game instead.

Idk about that but I do wish the roll from 3 returned without the slow mo since that's too OP here with no Nemesis chasing you. The crouch to escape grabs looks a little looney tunes.

Banned
found 2 videos about the RE4 deadzone issue on Xbox... the Second one doesn't test the aiming dead zone for some reason, which is the biggest issue, but the normal dead zones are horrible as well tho.

the first video tests PC, Xbox, and PS5, and compares them against eachother and against Apex Legends played on SX. the second one apparently only Xbox, but it has an overlay to visualise the deadzones.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Here, I just did a quick playthrough for anyone who wants to claim enemies are bullet spongey or don't react to bullets:

You need to survive for 4 minutes, or kill 15 Ganados to trigger the bell. Toward the end I killed 5 Ganados with TMP and Shotgun. So that's 10 Ganados I killed with Handgun Bullets and Melee, and I fired around 16 Handgun Bullets total. Every Ganado reacted to a headshot, one of them reacted to a legshot. My shotgun blew off a torso and a head.

Banned
Here, I just did a quick playthrough for anyone who wants to claim enemies are bullet spongey or don't react to bullets:

You need to survive for 4 minutes, or kill 15 Ganados to trigger the bell. Toward the end I killed 5 Ganados with TMP and Shotgun. So that's 10 Ganados I killed with Handgun Bullets and Melee, and I fired around 16 Handgun Bullets total. Every Ganado reacted to a headshot, one of them reacted to a legshot. My shotgun blew off a torso and a head.

most people aren't playing it on PC with a mouse I assume.
on console it's way harder to hit their heads, especially on Xbox, but on PS5 it's not perfect either.
while the Xbox has A RIDICULOUS DEADZONE (as seen in the videos I posted, the first one of which shows how bad it is specifically on xbox compared to PS5),
all versions on controller have a super weird reaction curve (demonstrated in the second video).

so on controller they can feel like bullet sponges, because the controls are just so dogshit (especially on Xbox... it can't be said enough)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Nice. I enjoyed the TMP burst towards the latter half.

840-D77-FC-B0-F8-4-D6-F-8787-65866211-B40-E.jpg

looked it up and holy shit you're right
benchmarks show consistent 60fps. if it's that good on a 3060ti i cant imagine how good itd be on a 3080
that's actually really impressive. I'd buy but Nvidia + RT support on Linux isn't very good :(
My 3060 was getting 60fps at 1440 maxed out with ray tracing! At least thats what my C1 was saying , hopefully the full game is not more demanding...

AMSCD

Demo is great on PC. Getting excellent performance on my 3070 at 1440p with settings maxed except RT. Too bad it doesn't support DLSS though.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
most people aren't playing it on PC with a mouse I assume.
on console it's way harder to hit their heads, especially on Xbox, but on PS5 it's not perfect either.
while the Xbox has A RIDICULOUS DEADZONE (as seen in the videos I posted, the first one of which shows how bad it is specifically on xbox compared to PS5),
all versions on controller have a super weird reaction curve (demonstrated in the second video).

so on controller they can feel like bullet sponges, because the controls are just so dogshit (especially on Xbox... it can't be said enough)
i know you complain about the controller aiming a lot but the simple fact of the matter is that a shooter is best enjoyed on keyboard and mouse....

Banned
i know you complain about the controller aiming a lot but the simple fact of the matter is that a shooter is best enjoyed on keyboard and mouse....

not really, a well made controller aiming can feel just as good. many people on PC prefer controller these days... and it's not really important who prefers what or what is the optimal thing to use.
a game that is on console, and only supports controller on said console, needs to have good controls, and there is simply no excuse anymore for any developer in a world where Apex Legends exists, or Fortnite... or to a lesser extend Call of Duty (which also made their aiming worse in the latest release btw... how the hell that could happen is beyond me)

Naked Lunch

Pointless remake is pointless. News at eleven.
Camera too zoomed in - that alone basically ruins everything from the jump.
Aiming sucks. Combat sucks. The change in lighting sucks - ruins the mood of the original.
Hollow. Soulless. Pointless.
RE4 really, really didnt need remade. At all.

I hope this bombs so devs can get back to making new games - not wasting years of dev time ruining the classics. Maybe all these remakes means theyve run out of ideas in the first place.

Top Bottom