• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Madflavor

most people aren't playing it on PC with a mouse I assume.
on console it's way harder to hit their heads, especially on Xbox, but on PS5 it's not perfect either.
while the Xbox has A RIDICULOUS DEADZONE (as seen in the videos I posted, the first one of which shows how bad it is specifically on xbox compared to PS5),
all versions on controller have a super weird reaction curve (demonstrated in the second video).

so on controller they can feel like bullet sponges, because the controls are just so dogshit (especially on Xbox... it can't be said enough)

Aiming issues and bullet sponge enemies are two separate issues. If someone thinks they're one in the same just because they're struggling with a controller, that's on them. The video is to demonstrate that enemies aren't in fact bullet sponges. Now the aiming, that's a different story, and I don't care to continue that argument. But the aiming/deadzone controversy wasn't my m.o. here.

Pointless remake is pointless. News at eleven.
Camera too zoomed in - that alone basically ruins everything from the jump.
Aiming sucks. Combat sucks. The change in lighting sucks - ruins the mood of the original.
Hollow. Soulless. Pointless.
RE4 really, really didnt need remade. At all.

I hope this bombs so devs can get back to making new games - not wasting years of dev time ruining the classics. Maybe all these remakes means theyve run out of ideas in the first place.

What is this hyperbolic drama queen bullshit? First off you're living in a fantasy world if you think this game has a chance of bombing. Secondly nothing this game does will "ruin" the Original. It's still there, it will always be there, and people will continue to enjoy it. Both versions. People still enjoy the OG RE2 even though they loved the Remake.

Banned
Aiming issues and bullet sponge enemies are two separate issues. If someone thinks they're one in the same just because they're struggling with a controller, that's on them. The video is to demonstrate that enemies aren't in fact bullet sponges. Now the aiming, that's a different story, and I don't care to continue that argument. But the aiming/deadzone controversy wasn't my m.o. here.

yeah but hitting headshots is almost impossible depending on what system you play on, due to how bad the controls are there, which can be frustrating, and can make the game feel more bullet spongey.
there is of course a difference, but if you only hit their hips all the time, you could get that feeling.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Pointless remake is pointless. News at eleven.
Camera too zoomed in - that alone basically ruins everything from the jump.
Aiming sucks. Combat sucks. The change in lighting sucks - ruins the mood of the original.
Hollow. Soulless. Pointless.
RE4 really, really didnt need remade. At all.

I hope this bombs so devs can get back to making new games - not wasting years of dev time ruining the classics. Maybe all these remakes means theyve run out of ideas in the first place.
they made a new game in 2021 that's still fresh and still quite new... consider playing that my dude
they're making street fighter, updating monster hunter, planning to release a new megaman title.... capcom is Japanese insomniac, you get a new AAA banger from them every couple years. complaining about remakes when you're surrounded by brand new original content is silly
then again you types are the exact same people who complain when they changed & rebooted the designs for Street Fighter 6, or when they made RE7 and RE8 first person so you guys don't REALLY want anything new

Last edited:

Madflavor

yeah but hitting headshots is almost impossible depending on what system you play on, due to how bad the controls are there, which can be frustrating, and can make the game feel more bullet spongey.
there is of course a difference, but if you only hit their hips all the time, you could get that feeling.

I understood your argument the first time. I'm simply saying "Here, enemies aren't bullet spongey and they do react to bullets." If someone wants to say the aiming sucks on controllers, fine. But if someone says "Enemies are bullet sponges in the game" then hopefully my vid can inform them that no that's not the case. Therefore their complaints go from "Aiming sucks and the enemies are bullet sponges" to "Aiming sucks."

I didn't know they'd released this demo until right now... I like how Leon has zero charisma or humour but they kept the iconic bingo line. Except in this context it just sounds like an earnest failed punchline by a person on the autistic spectrum and not Leon being cocky & irreverent. Also he is fixed in the expression of a school shooter about 20 minutes after being turned down for the prom

20230313012822-1.jpg

From the demo there are some things I'm unsure of... positional sound for enemies seemed bad but I didn't have headphones on so maybe that's why, it just didn't seem easy to identify when there was an enemy behind me. Enemies not reacting to non-headshots is fucking stupid and makes it feel like Village, but at least on PC you can reliably do headshots... it's just sad that the game misses a huge element that doesn't seem to have been substituted for in any other way with the design. (e: okay so they do at least drop their throwing weapons when shot in the hand, didn't see this on the first playthrough)

The encounter with the second chainsaw guy in that one house is patently an unfair design – the entire set piece is about pressuring the player to run around into different parts of the village and the enclosed areas should be reasonably 'safe' since they're unforeseen and returning can be impossible given the pursuers. That house in the original game was interesting IIRC because there was no way out except back where you came from, but there were some supplies that you could use to break through the pursuers, and you could block a door to pass the timer. The fact that this is done breaks the player's trust in the encounter design and feels like a change made for the sake of it, imo. Like they didn't even think about the meaning of the original design.

The opening house bit lacks the concision of the original game... they broke up the events of that original scene into two scenes in two rooms for no apparent reason, then they did the contrived secret door routine so you can keep going forwards. It dilutes the impact of the original opening so much. The path to the village is also lacking in character and the bear traps don't work as well (or perhaps, work too well) in this uniformly washed-out, dull visual style.

Maybe the game will be okay. I don't think it's all bad, but I also think it does everything worse than the original game so far.

Last edited:
I hope they patch Xbox deadzones or PS5 image quality before release, because I played several times the demo in both platforms and I don't want to choose between bad aiming or bad IQ. I want one version that simply has everything alright.

By the way, this explains very well why aiming is shit in Xbox version:

I'm in the exact same boat as you. This is depressing. I always hope that ps5 visuals are on par with SX because I'd much rather play with the DualSense and 3d audio. Ps5 is a more enjoyable experience. However if graphics on SX are better than I will deal with not having the ps5 controller and headphones.

But NOT if the aiming is fucked up! Nothing worse than a shooter with a dead zone issue. I can't believe Capcom fucked this game up but they have. It's coming in HOT for sure. I don't trust Capcom to fix these issues before release either (or fix them at all).

I wonder ...is the ps5's image quality such an issue due to VRS? Because that would explain iylt possibly. Dead Space also looked like shite on ps5 until they removed VRS all together ..hmm

To think I was only concerned about a little black crush going in. Never imagined it would be anything less than pristine on console after the excellent job they did with Village and RE3's next gen patch.

I didn't know they'd released this demo until right now... I like how Leon has zero charisma or humour but they kept the iconic bingo line. Except in this context it just sounds like an earnest failed punchline by a person on the autistic spectrum and not Leon being cocky & irreverent. Also he is fixed in the expression of a school shooter about 20 minutes after being turned down for the prom

20230313012822-1.jpg

From the demo there are some things I'm unsure of... positional sound for enemies seemed bad but I didn't have headphones on so maybe that's why, it just didn't seem easy to identify when there was an enemy behind me. Enemies not reacting to non-headshots is fucking stupid and makes it feel like Village, but at least on PC you can reliably do headshots... it's just sad that the game misses a huge element that doesn't seem to have been substituted for in any other way with the design.

The encounter with the second chainsaw guy in that one house is patently an unfair design – the entire set piece is about pressuring the player to run around into different parts of the village and the enclosed areas should be reasonably 'safe' since they're unforeseen and returning can be impossible given the pursuers. That house in the original game was interesting IIRC because there was no way out except back where you came from, but there were some supplies that you could use to break through the pursuers, and you could block a door to pass the timer. The fact that this is done breaks the player's trust in the encounter design and feels like a change made for the sake of it, imo. Like they didn't even think about the meaning of the original design.

The opening house bit lacks the concision of the original game... they broke up the events of that original scene into two scenes in two rooms for no apparent reason, then they did the contrived secret door routine so you can keep going forwards. It dilutes the impact of the original opening so much. The path to the village is also lacking in character and the bear traps don't work as well (or perhaps, work too well) in this uniformly washed-out, dull visual style.

Maybe the game will be okay. I don't think it's all bad, but I also think it does everything worse than the original game so far.

Aside from graphics there was NEVER a chance that this would be better than the original. Once you've realized that it becomes a lot easier to enjoy the game. That being said you are right about enemies not responding to every bullet shot. That was a big part of what made the original special and it's removal is a downgrade no matter how you spin it.

Madflavor

20230313012822-1.jpg

From the demo there are some things I'm unsure of... positional sound for enemies seemed bad but I didn't have headphones on so maybe that's why, it just didn't seem easy to identify when there was an enemy behind me. Enemies not reacting to non-headshots is fucking stupid and makes it feel like Village, but at least on PC you can reliably do headshots... it's just sad that the game misses a huge element that doesn't seem to have been substituted for in any other way with the design. (e: okay so they do at least drop their throwing weapons when shot in the hand, didn't see this on the first playthrough)

Aside from graphics there was NEVER a chance that this would be better than the original. Once you've realized that it becomes a lot easier to enjoy the game. That being said you are right about enemies not responding to every bullet shot. That was a big part of what made the original special and it's removal is a downgrade no matter how you spin it.

Personally I tried OG RE4 after playing the demo a few times, and I can't really go back. The Village fight is a snoozefest compared to the Remake's, and I've enjoyed the movement and the feel of the guns more in the Remake. That's not a knock against the Original, but it's a 20 year game. When you've played the Demo a few times, it's jarring how much slower and less aggressive the Ganados are in the Original.

sainraja

Something doesn't feel right to me, and it's not the aim. For some reason, it just feels different from the RE2 and RE3 remakes.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

they made a new game in 2021 that's still fresh and still quite new... consider playing that my dude
they're making street fighter, updating monster hunter, planning to release a new megaman title.... capcom is Japanese insomniac, you get a new AAA banger from them every couple years. complaining about remakes when you're surrounded by brand new original content is silly
then again you types are the exact same people who complain when they changed & rebooted the designs for Street Fighter 6, or when they made RE7 and RE8 first person so you guys don't REALLY want anything new
"you types"
Im pretty excited for SF6 personally. Cant wait.
Its ok to not like things. Imo this RE4 remake is complete ass and a waste of time. Tough sledding following up a legendary game - and for me after this demo - its misses on all fronts. I hated it. Uninstalled instantly.

I do get your point about Capcom in particular pumping out plenty of the new in addition to remakes - I was more ranting of the remake deluge of modern gaming as a whole. Remakes that dont need making in the first place. We may soon see the rumored Metal Gear Solid 3 landing at this same exact example - a waste of time.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

How is the demo, i didnt bother to download it, is it on par with RE2 Remake? or feels better based on what you played? does it lives up to the original?

Madflavor

"you types"
Im pretty excited for SF6 personally. Cant wait.
Its ok to not like things. Imo this RE4 remake is complete ass and a waste of time. Tough sledding following up a legendary game - and for me after this demo - its misses on all fronts. I hated it. Uninstalled instantly.

I do get your point about Capcom in particular pumping out plenty of the new in addition to remakes - I was more ranting of the remake deluge of modern gaming as a whole. Remakes that dont need making in the first place. We may soon see the rumored Metal Gear Solid 3 landing at this same exact example - a waste of time.

Is it a waste of time for the people that enjoy it?

How is the demo, i didnt bother to download it, is it on par with RE2 Remake? or feels better based on what you played? does it lives up to the original?

Depending on who you ask it's either a jolly good time, or a piece of shit.

Madflavor

Damn, isn't that a bit too much? a piece of shit for RE4? thats crazy, what issues are being debated?
I'll sum it up. For the most part people are having a great time with it. However there are quite a few people who aren't. The most common issues you'll hear are that the aiming is poor, and that the movement feels sluggish and weighty.

Some PS5 and XBOX users are complaining of the large deadzone programmed into the sticks. Because of that, aiming is not as responsive as it should be. From what I understand Xbox has it a lot worse. Some people reported success after turning the aim acceleration up, but others have also said it hasn't helped. PC Gamers are pretty much unaffected. As for the movement of Leon, I've been following Demo reactions on multiple sites closely for the past few days. I've seen quite a few people who initially complained about the movement say they got accustomed to it after playing the demo enough times. Beyond that, as far as complainers go, some of the other things being pointed out really just comes down to personal taste. Some don't like the atmosphere, or that the intro house has more going on than the original. The Original is very sacred in the eyes of some fans, so it's not surprising some fans just aren't going to like the reimagined approach in the Remake.

My recommendation is to just try the demo out for yourself if you haven't already. If there are things that bother you regarding the controls or feel of the game, give it a few more runs. Some people loved it outta the gate, some people took a bit of time before they began to like it, and then some people just plain don't like it. If you have a good PC, I'd recommend trying that version first.

Can't really comment on Graphics. Everyone has different standards as far as that goes, but personally I like the look of the game a lot.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
also replayed the demo another 2 times to confirm and uh Madflavor Madflavor was right, enemies DO react to where you shoot them. Ganados will flinch when you interupt them during an attack and just like in the original, a well timed shot to the legs (even with a pistol) can stagger them and have them down for the count. The gore is over the top too, you can blow out someone's fucking torso with a single shotgun blast.
People don't think that the enemies flinch mainly because of the terrible aiming on console, it's hard to land a shot on the limbs let alone the head. That being said you can still slow them down if they try attacking

The thing is that parasite/revived enemies don't do that, they don't react to anywhere you shoot, and i'm not sure if they even react to being shot in the head either. your best bet for those guys is to either take them out with as many shots as possible or run. it sort of makes sense seeing as how the parasite's just reanimating the corpse (and it's pretty friggin creepy especially in the first encounter) but i do recall that the original let you shoot them in the legs, arms etc, and they'd get staggered because of it too. I'm a bit mixed on it since the change does help them stand out more (they were just annoying in the original) but you also get less options to deal with em as a whole

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Is it a waste of time for the people that enjoy it?
For the people playing, no.
But from my perspective - certain things: games, movies - simply do not need remaking. You mentioned the original RE4 being sacred to some - and I think thats a good description for the category I land.
I look at the development time and dedication to remake these certain previous near flawless things - use that towards a new game. Develop new Metal Gear for example, try to top the past - not just a remake.

Madflavor

For the people playing, no.
But from my perspective - certain things: games, movies - simply do not need remaking. You mentioned the original RE4 being sacred to some - and I think thats a good description for the category I land.
I look at the development time and dedication to remake these certain previous near flawless things - use that towards a new game. Develop new Metal Gear for example, try to top the past - not just a remake.
Yeah but we're talking about Capcom here. This isn't a Rockstar, Bethesda or Naughty Dog situation where there are years and years between releases.. As far as Resident Evil is concerned we got:

2017 - RE7
2019 - RE2R
2020 - RE3R
2021 - RE8
2023 - RE4R

Back in the day there was 5 years between RE4 and RE5, and 5 years between RE6 and RE7. So I'd say RE fans have been eating pretty good these past few years. I mean we can say that RE2 was a sacred game also, but RE2R was clearly very successful and has it's place. I don't see why the same can't happen for RE4R.

Does RE4 need to be remade? I think that depends entirely on what you personally feel should be the motivating factor for a Remake. In your eyes it's sacred and shouldn't be touched, but some want it to be remade for that exact same reason. They love it so much they want a modern take on it. And if they hate it then oh well, they'll always have the original. RE4R will come out, probably get great reviews and sales, but I'm sure there's going to be plenty of RE4 fans who will hate it. You'll get Youtube videos from certain content creators going into in-depth analysis on what they think the Remake does wrong, and why the Original shits gold from it's bleached asshole. Meanwhile, and I'm sorry to say, but the Remake will develop a strong fanbase who will prefer it over the Original. These two groups can co-exist, or argue to the end of their days, but we both know it's going to be the latter.

Personally I think if an RE4 fan hates the Remake, the healthiest perspective to take is that it's not better or worse. It's just different. It's a different take, and maybe it's not for you. Life goes on.

Shakka43

Here, I just did a quick playthrough for anyone who wants to claim enemies are bullet spongey or don't react to bullets:

You need to survive for 4 minutes, or kill 15 Ganados to trigger the bell. Toward the end I killed 5 Ganados with TMP and Shotgun. So that's 10 Ganados I killed with Handgun Bullets and Melee, and I fired around 16 Handgun Bullets total. Every Ganado reacted to a headshot, one of them reacted to a legshot. My shotgun blew off a torso and a head.

Gameplay is definitely the best so far on RE Engine, RE3R's dodging mechanic is the only thing I wish they had added but everything else (gameplay wise) is just better here than their previous efforts.

scoobs

Played through this tonight and was really impressed with the lighting. Just a stunning looking opening few minutes wow.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man... This is cruel... I should be enjoying my last week in Hong Kong but I'm itching for my flight back to play this. Dang it...

Hope my PS5 copy arrives in time for next weekend when I'm back. Otherwise I'll just have to play the demo until it arrives.

Rea

Here, I just did a quick playthrough for anyone who wants to claim enemies are bullet spongey or don't react to bullets:

You need to survive for 4 minutes, or kill 15 Ganados to trigger the bell. Toward the end I killed 5 Ganados with TMP and Shotgun. So that's 10 Ganados I killed with Handgun Bullets and Melee, and I fired around 16 Handgun Bullets total. Every Ganado reacted to a headshot, one of them reacted to a legshot. My shotgun blew off a torso and a head.

Shooting precisely aimed shot to the head and can't die? and you still have to kick the zombies to kill them. If it's not bullet spongy then what is? They should have died with 1 shot to the head.

Shooting precisely aimed shot to the head and can't die? and you still have to kick the zombies to kill them. If it's not bullet spongy then what is? They should have died with 1 shot to the head.

Since when do RE zombies die with just one shot to the head using the basic pistol?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
i know you complain about the controller aiming a lot but the simple fact of the matter is that a shooter is best enjoyed on keyboard and mouse....
Not only.
I played same as you on ps5. 22 genados dead. Headshot and kick. It feels great.
Mouse is easier but controller is fine. Especially if you nice acceleration slider to the right.
Still no game feels as good as gears of war did in a controller. I don’t even think it has any deadzones or acceleration

Madflavor

Not sure. I don't play new RE games.
Does that include the Original RE4 from 20 years ago? Because headshots from early game handgun very rarely led to a critical hit. So there's nothing out of the ordinary with that footage.

Completed RE4 and RE5 on professional.

The controls were snappy and precise.

This game has awful, awful aiming however.
You mentioned the enemies are bullet sponges and that there's not enough ammo. I simply showed you that isn't correct. Aiming controls are a separate issue entirely.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm in the exact same boat as you. This is depressing. I always hope that ps5 visuals are on par with SX because I'd much rather play with the DualSense and 3d audio. Ps5 is a more enjoyable experience. However if graphics on SX are better than I will deal with not having the ps5 controller and headphones.

But NOT if the aiming is fucked up! Nothing worse than a shooter with a dead zone issue. I can't believe Capcom fucked this game up but they have. It's coming in HOT for sure. I don't trust Capcom to fix these issues before release either (or fix them at all).

I wonder ...is the ps5's image quality such an issue due to VRS? Because that would explain iylt possibly. Dead Space also looked like shite on ps5 until they removed VRS all together ..hmm

To think I was only concerned about a little black crush going in. Never imagined it would be anything less than pristine on console after the excellent job they did with Village and RE3's next gen patch.
It's a demo, it literally has the message that the game is still in development. Luckily people have commented on the dead zone issue perfectly, so it can easily be patched. It is not hard to change a dead zone in a patch. No need to go crazy lol.
Of course it shouldn't be there to begin with, but mistakes are made.

I am over the moon with the game outside the dead zone, its going to be amazing. I feel confident they will patch it.

Last edited:

Erebus

Does the game crash for anyone else on PC? According to some on Steam forums, the crashes are related to a VRAM leak. I probably should lower the texture size setting.

Rea

Does that include the Original RE4 from 20 years ago?
I did played RE 4 Original. Couldn't finish the game due to the aiming mechanics. Can't remember headshot could kill. It was so long ago. Maybe it's RE mechanics, but generally in the game headshot should kill anything unless it's RPG garbage game.

Kaachan

It doesn’t work that way in RE4. The handgun have a critical chance to do a headshot kill, you’re not guaranteed it

The shotgun or rifle are more powerful and can do damage needed to kill in one hit

Kaachan

I did played RE 4 Original. Couldn't finish the game due to the aiming mechanics. Can't remember headshot could kill. It was so long ago. Maybe it's RE mechanics, but generally in the game headshot should kill anything unless it's RPG garbage game.

I wouldn’t call it garbage, it’s more of a trying to work out balance. Handgun ammo is too common for it to be a one shot kill weapon

VN1X

Banned
Does complaining about every single detail in a video game makes you "gamers" feel special?
I mean as long as the criticisms are valid then surely that's fair game?

Personally I can overlook a lot of shortcomings myself but if others are put off by certain elements/design decisions then more power to them. It's a discussion board after all lol so of course it'll be a depository for the even the most minor of details.

TrebleShot

Having a lot of fun in this demo, played it about 10 times and across PC and Console, I have it pre ordered on PS5 but I may be double dipping for PC.

The sharpness is fantastic on PC and you can render it at 100% plus.

But I don’t think it looks terrible on PS5 and the haptics are alot better on there and the audio is better also. Tricky tricky. Couch gaming Vs desktop.

Probs will double dip who am I kidding lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Having a lot of fun in this demo, played it about 10 times and across PC and Console, I have it pre ordered on PS5 but I may be double dipping for PC.

The sharpness is fantastic on PC and you can render it at 100% plus.

But I don’t think it looks terrible on PS5 and the haptics are alot better on there and the audio is better also. Tricky tricky. Couch gaming Vs desktop.

Probs will double dip who am I kidding lol
Yeah I am having trouble deciding too. pc looks and runs better but ps5 haptics and 3d audio is better

Reactions: Rea

TrebleShot

Yeah I am having trouble deciding too. pc looks and runs better but ps5 haptics and 3d audio is better

I really wish 3rd party games on PC fully supports Dual Sense and 3D audio.
Yeah especially wirelessly on for the DS, even games like Returnal on PC they dont use the full extent of the DS like on the triggers, it cant recognise a half press so the secondary fire is a seperate button.
On the flip side any game now has good gyro aiming.

In terms of 3D audio some games do have an internal version of it, but for some reason its hit and miss, for instance again returnal has amazing audio on PC that matches the PS5, but others dont. Not sure on this, it didnt sound particularly 3D on PC.

Reactions: Rea

MarkyG

also replayed the demo another 2 times to confirm and uh Madflavor Madflavor was right, enemies DO react to where you shoot them. Ganados will flinch when you interupt them during an attack and just like in the original, a well timed shot to the legs (even with a pistol) can stagger them and have them down for the count. The gore is over the top too, you can blow out someone's fucking torso with a single shotgun blast.
People don't think that the enemies flinch mainly because of the terrible aiming on console, it's hard to land a shot on the limbs let alone the head. That being said you can still slow them down if they try attacking

The thing is that parasite/revived enemies don't do that, they don't react to anywhere you shoot, and i'm not sure if they even react to being shot in the head either. your best bet for those guys is to either take them out with as many shots as possible or run. it sort of makes sense seeing as how the parasite's just reanimating the corpse (and it's pretty friggin creepy especially in the first encounter) but i do recall that the original let you shoot them in the legs, arms etc, and they'd get staggered because of it too. I'm a bit mixed on it since the change does help them stand out more (they were just annoying in the original) but you also get less options to deal with em as a whole
Use the TMP submachine gun on them, they wriggle all over the place then slump over. It's really gratifying!

Madflavor

I did played RE 4 Original. Couldn't finish the game due to the aiming mechanics.
Well you better keep that quiet, you might trigger some people here.

Can't remember headshot could kill. It was so long ago. Maybe it's RE mechanics, but generally in the game headshot should kill anything unless it's RPG garbage game.
I mean I can't say homogenizing all games so that headshots for every game in existence insta-kill an enemy would be a good idea. Depends on the type of game you're making.

Top Bottom