• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 (PS2) - IGN review

Solid

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/660/660397p1.html

10 Presentation
Few games are so tightly wound. From the sweet cut-scenes to the slick menus, RE4 is a great package.
9.0 Graphics
Outstanding art direction. A fantastic port that shines with only minor setbacks.
9.0 Sound
Music that appropriately sets the mood and draws tension. Great composition and overall good quality, with the aid of Dolby Pro Logic II.
10 Gameplay
This is an eye-opening experience. RE4 is a true next-generation game on current consoles. It shatters expectations and delivers an immersive experience that will wow you.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Plenty of unlockables, a killer set of bonus quests, the arcade-like Mercinaries mode, and a lengthy 20-plus hour quest. Ther's a lot to enjoy.
9.5 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
10 Presentation
Few games are so tightly wound. From the sweet cut-scenes to the slick menus, RE4 is a great package.
9.0 Graphics
Outstanding art direction. A fantastic port that shines with only minor setbacks.
9.0 Sound
Music that appropriately sets the mood and draws tension. Great composition and overall good quality, with the aid of Dolby Pro Logic II.
10 Gameplay
This is an eye-opening experience. RE4 is a true next-generation game on current consoles. It shatters expectations and delivers an immersive experience that will wow you.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Plenty of unlockables, a killer set of bonus quests, the arcade-like Mercinaries mode, and a lengthy 20-plus hour quest. Ther's a lot to enjoy.
9.5 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Resident Evil 4 shocked me in so many ways when it launched on GameCube, and it continues to do so with this PlayStation 2 edition. Capcom has truly given it tender loving care. The lengthy development time has transformed the title into a true masterpiece that really makes you appreciate the level of detail that can be achieved in videogames. Things like shooting the weapons out of the hands of enemies, or perhaps even in mid-air is a rarely seen level of depth. And so even as I went back and played RE4 on PS2, I felt so drawn into the world it was hard to take a break from the action. This is what Resident Evil 4 is all about, and if you haven't played it yet you absolutely must. It's easily one of the top 10 PlayStation 2 games you can lay your hands on. For me, it's probably one of my top 10 games of all-time. There's so much to enjoy, and even though PS2's visuals aren't quite as good as they were on GCN, my jaw still drops at the art design and how immersive the worlds are.

You have to play this game. If you haven't, stop hesitating and do it. And don't go getting distracted, because the worlds just keep changing and wowing you. The idea of the "village" is but a fraction of what RE4 has to offer. If you have played it on GCN, well, whether you buy it or rent it, you'll want to play Separate Ways. It provides a great amount of closure on the conspiracies that you only get a glimpse of during Leon's quest.

This is easily deserving of our editor's choice award. Any difference in scores between PS2 and GameCube is simply a matter of reviewer preference as well as the minor porting setbacks and stiff competition on PS2. Nonetheless, still a must-have title.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Enjoy, PS2ers. A gift to action gamers and I'm glad some of you hold-outs are finally getting to experience it. :D

koam

AssMan said:
SUPERIOR VERSION GET AKA COMMENCE THE 5 PAGES OF TROLLING!

It would be wise for PS2 and GCN owners not to go in that direction because:

1) They may release a premium edition on the Gamecube down the road and PS2 fans will be owned.
2) They may not and Gamecube fans will be owned.

So let the people who haven't played this yet enjoy it :)

As for me, I don't want to put too more money into a game I already own (put the money down on SOTC instead). I will however, either rent this, or get it when it's dirt cheap though even that is unlikely.

Amir0x said:
Fuck awesome. Still, I'm poor. I can't afford putting in games I already purchased. Amir0x am cry.
I'm with you. No money and I already have it on gamecube. But good lord my hats off to Capcom for bringing this over so almost everyone can play it.

Solid

It's easily one of the top 10 PlayStation 2 games you can lay your hands on.
i just dont get that sentence. 9.5 in the PS2 session is not that good. there's probably 15 other PS2 games with better scores. i just dont understand how some people think when they are reviewing a port.

i'm not whining here, just checking.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MaestroRyan said:
9.8 > 9.5, even if you get TEH LAZER GUNZ EXTREME and TEH COSTUMES EXTRE333M3

.3 extra points cause Gamecube fans had nothing to play back then lolz

koam

Wario64 said:
.3 extra points cause Gamecube fans had nothing to play back then lolz

That's not true, this came right after Metroid Prime 2... we have nothing to play now :(

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Solid said:
i just dont get that sentence. 9.5 in the PS2 session is not that good. there's probably 15 other PS2 games with better scores. i just dont understand how some people think when they are reviewing a port.

i'm not whining here, just checking.

"Ignore the score." This mantra needs to be spread throughout GAF and other gaming forums. The text is most important.

Solid

my hype just went down a bit. i was expecting at least a 9.6. i know the text means more but really, the score is all that matters in the end :lol

If anyone wonders how IGN divided RE4 for GC:

10 Presentation
Phenomenal. Outstanding. From the slick menus to the cinematic cut-scenes, the new play types and the buyable extras, this is Resident Evil at its best.
9.5 Graphics
Superb. Unequaled art. Technically in a league of its own. Gorgeous character models, environments, animation, lighting and texture effects. GameCube's prettiest title. Faked widescreen hurts.
9.0 Sound
Atmospheric and ambient. Heart-thumping sound effects and moody music, all in Dolby Pro Logic II.
9.5 Gameplay
The best Resident Evil game ever made. Truly intense. Lots of new compelling gameplay types. Excellent new targeting and action systems. Boss fights are incredible. Satisfying quest.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
At 20-plus hours, a meaty single-player adventure. And because the game tallies hit ratios and kills per area, there's records to be beaten. Plus, there are unlockables.

9.8(overall)

Puts it in better context.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Solid said:
my hype just went down a bit. i was expecting at least a 9.6. i know the text means more but really, the score is all that matters in the end :lol

christ it's just a couple decimal points. review scores need to be abolished

Amir0x

Banned
rod said:
as much as i love SotC, i think re4 is a better game. maybe 9.5 for SotC and the 9.7 for re4?

Different people review different games, form different opinions. IGN isn't some singular conglomerate entity that thinks on only one plane :p

rod

Banned
Amir0x said:
Different people review different games, form different opinions. IGN isn't some singular conglomerate entity that thinks on a single path :p

yeah, true. but that was my opinion :p

Amir0x said:
Different people review different games, form different opinions. IGN isn't some singular conglomerate entity that thinks on a single path :p

Bingo, if that was so you would think the PS2 version would have the higher overall score considering how it was broken down. It's still a kickass score either way!!

Solid

good thing though, this means God of War is still goty and best looking PS2 game out there. david jaffe for the win!

sly

Banned
Solid said:
good thing though, this means God of War is still goty and best looking PS2 game out there. david jaffe for the win!

Hmmm you really don't want C-Warrior reading that :lol

Solid said:

GOTY canidates don't really depend on the highest scores recieved, just that said canidates recieved high scores in the first place, it's usually voted by more than one so a high review score by one person doesn't mean outright victory.

Very good score for the ps2 version, but 1 new costum and a couple extra hours of gameplay isnt enough for me to put $40 down on a game iv generally been playing since january. I shall rent it if only for ada's new game :)

Snaku said:
So has the metal box for the US limited edition been unveiled yet?

Good question, can we get this in different places or is this another one of those EBgames/Gamestop only things? I missed out on the special edition GC version.

SpiffyG

Solid said:
Rarr!! RE4>>>GOW

EAT IT. :)

koam said:
That's not true, this came right after Metroid Prime 2... we have nothing to play now :(
Speak for yourself! Fire Emblem just came out! >=O

Top Bottom