• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 (PS2) - IGN review

Snaku

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Good question, can we get this in different places or is this another one of those EBgames/Gamestop only things? I missed out on the special edition GC version.

I was under the impression that it wasn't exclusive to any single chain of stores. I'd still like to know what it looks like.

mj1108

Jesus christ... fuck the bitter trolling and flames. If you own either a PS2 or a GCN, this game needs to be bought and played.

Instead of being thankful that it's being brought out on another platform so more people can play it, some people here take it upon themselves to act like fucking retarded douchebags screaming "SUPERIOR VERSION" or 'TEH GCN GRAFIX R BETTAR!". Get a fucking life and just enjoy RE4 no matter what platform it's on.

SpiffyG

I hope this sells more than the GameCube version, not to disappoint Nintendo fans, but so RE4 should get the sales it deserves.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I can almost garuntee you that RE4 is pretty much the best game on the PS2 despite the number on that review. The PS2 has a MUCH greater selection than the GC but I can't think of one that matches RE4 on all fronts. All will become clear.

rod

Banned
mj1108 said:
Jesus christ... fuck the bitter trolling and flames. If you own either a PS2 or a GCN, this game needs to be bought and played.

Instead of being thankful that it's being brought out on another platform so more people can play it, some people here take it upon themselves to act like fucking retarded douchebags screaming "SUPERIOR VERSION" or 'TEH GCN GRAFIX R BETTAR!". Get a fucking life and just enjoy RE4 no matter what platform it's on.

QFT

Solid

well the guy was banned. this thread has been pretty calm actually. it's been worse, i can tell you that.

gogogow

What about the cutscenes??
IGN didn't mention anything about it, other than "sweet".
So, are they realtime or not?
They were not realtime in the demo, but IGN played the fullversion.......

Fct

IGN PS2 Review:

10 Gameplay
This is an eye-opening experience. RE4 is a true next-generation game on current consoles. It shatters expectations and delivers an immersive experience that will wow you.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Plenty of unlockables, a killer set of bonus quests, the arcade-like Mercinaries mode, and a lengthy 20-plus hour quest. Ther's a lot to enjoy.
9.5 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN GCN Review:

9.5 Gameplay
The best Resident Evil game ever made. Truly intense. Lots of new compelling gameplay types. Excellent new targeting and action systems. Boss fights are incredible. Satisfying quest.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
At 20-plus hours, a meaty single-player adventure. And because the game tallies hit ratios and kills per area, there's records to be beaten. Plus, there are unlockables.

9.8 overall

I know the not-an-average thing, but WTF? I mean, Gamecube version has lower scores on gameplay and lasting appeal BUT better, and near perfect, overrall score?? Something strange here...

rod

Banned
something tells me if they both came out at the same time, they wouldve received the same score

Snaku

Banned
Fct said:
I know the not-an-average thing, but WTF? I mean, Gamecube version has lower scores on gameplay and lasting appeal BUT better, and near perfect, overrall score?? Something strange here...

Shenanigans?

llTll

Banned
Fct said:
IGN PS2 Review:

10 Gameplay
This is an eye-opening experience. RE4 is a true next-generation game on current consoles. It shatters expectations and delivers an immersive experience that will wow you.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Plenty of unlockables, a killer set of bonus quests, the arcade-like Mercinaries mode, and a lengthy 20-plus hour quest. Ther's a lot to enjoy.
9.5 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN GCN Review:

9.5 Gameplay
The best Resident Evil game ever made. Truly intense. Lots of new compelling gameplay types. Excellent new targeting and action systems. Boss fights are incredible. Satisfying quest.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
At 20-plus hours, a meaty single-player adventure. And because the game tallies hit ratios and kills per area, there's records to be beaten. Plus, there are unlockables.

9.8 overall

thats IGN for you

I've got too many bloody games to play, so since i've already played the original, i'll skip this. But for those who haven't you really need to buy it and give this game its props. Definately one of the top 3 games of the generation on any console.

I've still got SotC, Black&White2, F.E.A.R and AoE3 to play for the rest of the year before Oblivion hits.

Borys

Banned
I understand where's Solid coming from. Because GCN got like the highest GCN score ever, meaning the game is near damn perfect on the Cube, he assumed the PS2 version should also get the best PS2 score.

As for me I'd get it even if it scored < 9, because of THE EXTRAS !!!

SantaC

Fct said:

the game was truley groundbreaking when it came out 10 months ago...

Miburou

The fact that the GC version was released 10 months ago should have no bearing on the PS2 version's score. Now if the genre had advanced in those 10 months...

Fct

CVXFREAK said:
A 10 month wait for a port is a legitimate reason to reduce a score, even if there are extras.

So, it's normal to reduce the overall score of a 10 months old game when you increase its gameplay and lasting appeal scores... right?

If you give it the same scores, o reduce them, and then you reduce the total score, i could understand it, but this? No.

Besides, i don't agree with your statement "same game, 10 months later = lower score". It depends on the game, but 10 months... it isn't so much time. Same game = same quality = same score (in this case), imo.

"Shenanigans?"

What?

cvxfreak

I think the wait time being 10 months if a legit way to drop the score of the game because it's newness factor has been greatly reduced. It's kinda like saying RE2 and RE3 on GC (although much later than RE4) should have gotten similar scores to the PSone versions because they're the same game. .

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I know the not-an-average thing, but WTF? I mean, Gamecube version has lower scores on gameplay and lasting appeal BUT better, and near perfect, overrall score?? Something strange here..."

GRAPHICS ARE KING.
CONTENT AND GAMEPLAY ARE FOR PUSSIES.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
to be honest, i expected a bigger drop off because of the "it's a port" excuse. has there ever been a game where the port got a better score than the original version?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Borys said:

are you talking about the xbox port? it's really not the same game.

I didn't want to buy this again. But it really is one of the best games this gen, and the extras are too much. Guess I'll trade in my old one toward this today.

Both versions gameplay are basically the same, but since most people(and at IGN) have already played the GC version the impact for the PS2 version isnt as big. Which is most likely where the extra .3 went. Might not have had that omfgubersex! feeling like when you first played it on the GC ;P

Miburou

CVXFREAK said:
I think the wait time being 10 months if a legit way to drop the score of the game because it's newness factor has been greatly reduced. It's kinda like saying RE2 and RE3 on GC (although much later than RE4) should have gotten similar scores to the PSone versions because they're the same game. .

It's nothing like that at all. RE2 and RE3 on GC were outdated whether a PS1 version was ever released or not. The fact that the genre (and technology) has advanced since the PS1 days that gives RE2 and RE3 on GC a lower score than they got on PS1.

The "newness factor" is irrelevant if most of the people picking up the PS2 version of RE4 have never played the GC game. From all accounts RE4 on PS2 looks and feels like a cutting edge PS2 game, and is overall equal to the GC.

cvxfreak

Miburou said:
It's nothing like that at all. RE2 and RE3 on GC were outdated whether a PS1 version was ever released or not. The fact that the genre (and technology) has advanced since the PS1 days that gives RE2 and RE3 on GC a lower score than they got on PS1.

The "newness factor" is irrelevant if most of the people picking up the PS2 version of RE4 have never played the GC game. From all accounts RE4 on PS2 looks and feels like a cutting edge PS2 game, and is overall equal to the GC.

Your opinion on whether the genre has advanced or not is irrelevent; by this standard, the Famicom mini lineup is a crime to humanity. The fact is, RE2 and RE3 were quality games that got dogged on the GC because they were old ports (not to mention the price). The PS2 RE4 is nowhere near that old, but the wait time is still considerable enough for the game not to be considered innovative anymore. The fact the reviewer probably played the GC version does not help matters, either.

I certainly wouldn't rate it as high. Thrill and newness account for a whole lot more than you seem to be letting on. Although, this is one of those situations where variable scoring would work.

Miburou

CVXFREAK said:
Your opinion on whether the genre has advanced or not is irrelevent; by your standard, the Famicom mini lineup is a crime to humanity. The fact is, RE2 and RE3 were quality games that got dogged on the GC because they were old ports (not to mention the price).

The PS2 RE4 is nowhere near that old, but the wait time is still considerable enough for the game not to be considered innovative anymore. The fact the reviewer probably played the GC version does not help matters, either.

I'm not sure if you realize it, but you just contradicted yourself. You use the 10 month gap between the two versions to justify the lower score, then you cite the 2-3 year gap between the PS1 and GC versions of RE and RE3 as the sole reason why those games were scored lower. And yet you bring up the Famicom series (which are 20 years old) to try to show that advances in technology and play mechanics have no bearing at all on how a game is rated. By your standard, too, the Famicom mini series should be rated very low.

But in reality, that example does not negate either of our opinions, because a big part of the appeal of that series is the nostalgia factor.

I certainly wouldn't rate it as high. Thrill and newness account for a whole lot more than you seem to be letting on. Although, this is one of those situations where variable scoring would work.

You're missing the point. Of course the reviewer having played the GC version 10 months earlier is not as excited about the PS2 version as he was about the GC version. But the review is written for the target audience, and the target audience most likely has not played the GC version (and those that have, know what they're getting into). Should a reviewer review a game less favorably because he played the Japanese version of that game a year earlier? No, because his target audience most likely did not.

When you think about it, our two views are not that different. If the freshness factor diminishes with time, then it's only logical that it diminishes even faster if there are other similar games that have improved on the formula. My view is just of a more global freshness factor. And my main point of disagreement is that I don't think most people picking up RE4 on PS2 have played the GC version.

Yeah, using old cross generation ports don't really fly in this argument, cause RE4 is still one of the best games 10 months or not, the genre hasn't exactly had anything pushing pass RE4 this pass 10 months either.

EDIT: This seems kind of pointless though as the scores aren't weighted and it's different reviewers, cause if it was weighted like Gamespot, it would be a higher score.

cvxfreak

Miburou said:
I'm not sure if you realize it, but you just contradicted yourself. You use the 10 month gap between the two versions to justify the lower score, then you cite the 2-3 year gap between the PS1 and GC versions of RE and RE3 as the sole reason why those games were scored lower. And yet you bring up the Famicom series (which are 20 years old) to try to show that advances in technology and play mechanics have no bearing at all on how a game is rated. By your standard, too, the Famicom mini series should be rated very low.

No, I didn't contradict myself. RE2 and RE3's GC lower scores are justified BECAUSE of the time that has passed, not because they were bad games at all and it applies to RE4. It was your accusation that time (and a previous edition) shouldn't lower a score. And then you brought up a totally irrelevent point on the series' quality which justifies RE2 and RE3's lower scores. The Famicom mini (which weren't rated as high as their originals) and the other ports prove that time does result in lower scores, and I believe RE4 is no exception. I also am of the opinion that the FM series should get low scores.

My only miswording (I'm at school in a boring class trying to be discreet) was saying "By your standard" instead of "By this standard", and I'm going to edit my post accordingly.

You're missing the point. Of course the reviewer having played the GC version 10 months earlier is not as excited about the PS2 version as he was about the GC version. But the review is written for the target audience, and the target audience most likely has not played the GC version (and those that have, know what they're getting into). Should a reviewer review a game less favorably because he played the Japanese version of that game a year earlier? No, because his target audience most likely did not.

A Japanese version of a game is different in principle for tons of reasons. A port was still available to the region as a whole, but I see what you're saying and it can be solved with varable scoring. As a corollary, by that, RE2 and RE3 might as well be rated somewhere close to their PSone counterparts for the audience Capcom made them for in the first place. (Mikami admitted the truth behind them)

But I agree with the rest of your post. :)

Top Bottom