• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

Now I am not a genius but...why the hell would deadzone issues be so prevalent in one (or two) versions but absent in the others? Isn't it the same code?

Incompetence. Serious. There's a lot of incompetence among devs these days because stuff like this happens all too much. It probably lies in a lack of play testing and communication between teams.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Incompetence. Serious. There's a lot of incompetence among devs these days because stuff like this happens all too much. It probably lies in a lack of play testing and communication between teams.

The thing that blows my mind is, how hard can it be to change a deadzone?

How have they not loaded up a text file changed the deadzone and rolled it out?

From me, someone who has no idea about game development lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This could be a covid thing. Definitely communication related. The people playtesting the xbox versions likely dont notice it and who knows they might not be in the same office.

That said, this should be on the director of the game. They play the game all day long for years. I dont know why they are not testing the xbox version or how they didnt notice how poor the IQ of the PS5 version is.

Remember they shipped the PC version of Village that started chugging into low teens whenever you were being chased by the bees. There is no way they actually playtested the game on PC with denuvo running.

Madflavor

I'm not sold on it being incompetence on the part of the development team. Same team who work on RE4R did RE2R, and it didn't have the same issues. More likely I think it can be caulked up to crunch and meeting a strict deadline. Capcom generally doesn't delay their games, especially with Resident Evil. When the date is set, it's set. Normally that hasn't been too much of a problem for them, but when you look at RE7, RE2R, RE3R, and RE8, they're all pretty short games. RE4R on the other hand is their longest and biggest Resident Evil game since RE6. Meeting that deadline probably meant having to crunch like maniacs and prioritize on polishing what they felt was most important. Consider how fast they've been pumping out these Resident Evil games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The thing that blows my mind is, how hard can it be to change a deadzone?

How have they not loaded up a text file changed the deadzone and rolled it out?

From me, someone who has no idea about game development lol

Or just add a slider so people can adjust it. It's a very weird oversight.

That being said, having put 12 hours into the game so far, it's definitely become second nature after the first couple of chapters.

So it's a negative, but not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Isa

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Or just add a slider so people can adjust it. It's a very weird oversight.

That being said, having put 12 hours into the game so far, it's definitely become second nature after the first couple of chapters.

So it's a negative, but not a deal breaker.
Are you a time traveling wizard? 12 hours already? How?

adamsapple

Are you a time traveling wizard? 12 hours already? How?

I've had the game for 2 days now, Walmart done fucked up and let a ton of people order and pick up via curbside pickup on the 20th and 21st.

I was one of the lucky ones.

WALMART IS BREAKING STREET DATE.

ORDER, CHOOSE CURBSIDE PICK UP, THEY'RE GIVING OUT THE GAME EARLY !!

82CuUrB.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So is rt only for water puddles reflection on full version too?
Safe to turn off?
Which options to save some vram crashes? Textures and shadows like in demo?

Last edited:

Luipadre

Just finished the demo segment on ps5 and after the title screen im getting weird colored artifacts at the bottom of the screen. Wtf is this? looks like that rainbow gpu bug that the latest radeon pc users got in the demo. I kinda not want to play this... Im gonna restart this and see if it fixes it. ngl the full game to me looks worse than then demo. HDR looks worse too, dunno what happened

Last edited:
Man, I'm not able to download it yet on Steam, even though my internet connection is in a region where the game is unlocked. Eager to play it ASAP. To all of you who are playing it now, enjoy!

Just finished the demo segment on ps5 and after the title screen im getting weird colored artifacts at the bottom of the screen. Wtf is this? looks like that rainbow gpu bug that the latest radeon pc users got in the demo. I kinda not want to play this... Im gonna restart this and see if it fixes it. ngl the full game to me looks worse than then demo. HDR looks worse too, dunno what happened

Out of all the games to fuck up why did it have to be this?

adamsapple

Can't say I've had visual glitches on Xbox.

I have had one bug where Ashley's voice turned static-ey and I had to close and reopen the game to fix it.

Just watch as fans pour in and defend the cut content, while hating on 2 and especially 3 for having done so as well, over the last several years.

Nah. It doesn't work like that. You either say it's wrong for any game to axe content, rather than defending the one (or ones) you like the most from the original run. Or, um. I don't know.

Maybe don't come across as hypocritical because RE4 was your first RE game!? That doesn't really apply. They all did it since 2019. Removed things up the ass.

Even the original RE remake in 2002 had a few cuts. Albeit, subtle cuts. Nothing that big was removed though, so you may barely remember.

Isa

I moved to New Zealand and have been enjoying myself in the game so far. Been exploring every nook and cranny savoring the experience. The combat has been quite a blast with some funny reactive moments.

bender

What time is it?
Can you actually kill the zombies in this one or is it like RE2 where you have to slash them in the legs and run past for the entire game

You only get one bullet the entire game and that is needed to blow the lock off a gate. There is also a gnome on the first level that if you manage to carry until the last boss, you'll get a special ending where Ashley and Leon become the King and Queen of Kalamazoo.

Spoiler ahead...

Apparently, Leon and Krauser were in South America with a unit rather than going there by themselves, like in the original TDC version.

Why?

Assuming this isn't a random chance of a Console GPU failure, is this happening post-day 0 patch or pre-day 0 patch?

Just watch as fans pour in and defend the cut content, while hating on 2 and especially 3 for having done so as well, over the last several years.

Nah. It doesn't work like that. You either say it's wrong for any game to axe content, rather than defending the one (or ones) you like the most from the original run. Or, um. I don't know.

Maybe don't come across as hypocritical because RE4 was your first RE game!? That doesn't really apply. They all did it since 2019. Removed things up the ass.

Even the original RE remake in 2002 had a few cuts. Albeit, subtle cuts. Nothing that big was removed though, so you may barely remember.

3make cut basically half the game, it's not remotely comparable.

RE2R cut almost nothing of consequence and probably added more than it cut. I've never seen anyone complain about it, though I'm sure some do.

RE4 is fantastic, but the third act drags and could honestly stand a few cuts. Some of the stuff that I've heard has been cut, like the Bulldozer sequence or the underground village, are among the weakest parts of the game. The original is not an unassailable masterpiece, for any of these games. If cuts improve pacing, or some other aspect of the game, I have no problem with them.

Not all cuts are created equal. "You can't be ok with 4 because you complained about 3" is a truly stupid take.

Not really. Some YouTubers and netizens on forums are rather biased towards particular entries. This is why it should be a giving that opinions on RE4 may be more relaxed, because people will outright want to refuse to look bad.

Can't say I've had visual glitches on Xbox.

I have had one bug where Ashley's voice turned static-ey and I had to close and reopen the game to fix it.
On the demo I had a weird thing where the puddles of water were just white - pure white. It was very weird - no issues with the full game tho

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This game is funny. Dude legit just rolls up and shanks an old lady doing laundry. But I absolutely lost it at "Bingo?" I was going to ask if the game was meant to be this campy, but then the dude shotguns a guy in half through the midsection a few beats later.

. . .good times.

This game is funny. Dude legit just rolls up and shanks an old lady doing laundry. But I absolutely lost it at "Bingo?" I was going to ask if the game was meant to be this campy, but then the dude shotguns a guy in half through the midsection a few beats later.

. . .good times.

Very glad to hear that the camp remains intact. That was the thing I was most nervous about with a remake.

Beyond its great gameplay, the thing that made RE4 an all-time classic was it's goofy charm.

This forum has some of the bitchiest grown men up here crying about a game. RE4 Remake Demo was awesome, I had no complaints because it was a 10 - 15 min DEMO, Jesus some of the comments I'm reading are acting like they playing the full game smfh unlike some of you clowns I'm gonna take off my nostalgia/ultra critic glasses and enjoy a great game, good riddance

Great to hear Capcom released another quality remake. Now give us Code Veronica! I don't care if the Twitter mob will cry about "that" character.

Buggy Loop

Aiming is pissing me off. Any way to make it smoother?

Played the demo tonight on PC and I uninstalled. I don’t understand what’s going on as I played a TON on GameCube’s shit controls, then Wii version (so good for aiming), then RE4 VR on Quest 2…. The RE4 remake controls are shit, it feels so goddamn slow.

skneogaf

I'm struggling a little bit with Leon's movement speed.

His walk is to slow and has to much sway.

His run is a little bit too fast.

My fingers are crossed they tweak it.

Top Bottom