• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 review thread

Davey Cakes

KeeSomething said:
Would it be believable for a pretty boy like Leon to have feelings for Ada if she looked like Amy Winehouse? Aside from that, her character wouldn't be as effective if she were ugly.
You could've made your point without making me barf. Thanks for that.

Guys 12 hours is fine in a game with co-op replayability and higher difficulty settings etc.

How many hours did you pour into the 3 minute demo for fucks sake?

vala

Here is a new interview with Takeuchi:

http://tinyurl.com/dad7uj

Has the lack of Shinji Mikami involvement affected this game? Do you think it is something that he would want to play? Would he approve?

Obviously the fact that Mikami is not involved in the title, especially in the early stages of making the title, did have a big influence on us, and it put a lot of pressure on us right at the start. As for what he would say if he was to play the game, I guess I can't really say. Of course because he is not involved in the game, it has gone in a different direction than I am sure he would have taken it himself.

So I am not really sure I want to know actually what he thinks of it. Probably, he is the last person whose opinion I want to ask about the game.

:lol

Synless

C- Warrior said:
Guys 12 hours is fine in a game with co-op replayability and higher difficulty settings etc.

How many hours did you pour into the 3 minute demo for fucks sake?
Too many....I love that demo. It might be the most played demo I have ever played next to the FFVIII demo.

Wark

Rpgmonkey said:
So have any laboratory-esque areas been confirmed?

Love those areas in RE games.

I'm curious to see how the countdown timer is gonna start in this one. :lol

I also miss the
naked zombies
that you encounter towards the end of game. Make it happen Capcom!

Me and a bunch of friends played through Resident Evil Remake ( on GameCube ) last weekend, and I have to say that it trumps over RE4 like nobody's business. It's easily the best survival horror game in existence - nothing even comes close ( with the exception of Resident Evil: Code Veronica ). It also manages to be visually stunning even after all these years.

So yeah... Having played that - a game I consider to be a representation of the *real* Resident Evil experience - I am having a hard time hyping up towards the fifth installment. I did enjoy RE4, but getting more of the same in RE5... I just... I just don't know.

Maybe I'll enjoy the co-op aspects, but otherwise... I might even give the game a pass ( for now, at least ).

That review is a little bit disappointing. I mean, I'm not disappointed in RE5 being just like RE4. How could anyone complain about that? RE4 is a masterpiece, plus you could argue that all the "classic" Resident Evil games are practically clones of each other.

I really hope the environments, enemies, boss battles, and level design is as good or better than RE4, but based on this review, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll just have to form my own opinion when I buy the game.

Rash said:
You could've made your point without making me barf. Thanks for that.
Hahaha! Sorry about that.

Oh, and buy the way, I read some where that Leon is indeed playable in Resident Evil
. Can't wait to get my hands on 5!

Wark

KeeSomething said:
Oh, and buy the way, I read some where that Leon is indeed playable in Resident Evil
. Can't wait to get my hands on 5!

Yeah, I heard Claire is playable in Resident Evil
also. I forgot to mention the rumor of Nemesis being in Resident Evil
also. Sooo awesome.

AkuMifune

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
Me and a bunch of friends played through Resident Evil Remake ( on GameCube ) last weekend, and I have to say that it trumps over RE4 like nobody's business. It's easily the best survival horror game in existence - nothing even comes close ( with the exception of Resident Evil: Code Veronica ). It also manages to be visually stunning even after all these years.

So yeah... Having played that - a game I consider to be a representation of the *real* Resident Evil experience - I am having a hard time hyping up towards the fifth installment. I did enjoy RE4, but getting more of the same in RE5... I just... I just don't know.

Maybe I'll enjoy the co-op aspects, but otherwise... I might even give the game a pass ( for now, at least ).

I couldn't agree more. I keep trying to hype myself back into getting 5 (kicking and screaming), but every time I think back on the REmake I get pissed at the direction the series had gone in since. Seriously that game is godly, and still holds up really well. I recommend everyone give it a shot before diving into 5 to see what we mean.

Capcom for the love of god make a Resident Evil 2 REmake, please!

Wark said:
Yeah, I heard Claire is playable in Resident Evil
also. I forgot to mention the rumor of Nemesis being in Resident Evil
also. Sooo awesome.
That's nothing! Apparently B
r
a
d Vickers
rry got killed by some kind of BOW.

There. I officially killed the joke!

jett

D-Member
Jun Takeuchi: As you've probably seen, in the game Chris uses the M92 from the start. But actually, because Chris has bulked up and is beefier than he was before, I wanted to have him use a .45 as his weapon of choice. I kept saying, "Let's have him use a .45," so we had him using the .45, and it was great. But then I was playing the game one day and I noticed he was using the M92 again. I wondered what was going on, since Chris should be using the .45, but it turned out that all of the development team had felt that Chris simply had to use the M92. I guess I lost that round, but that's one of the things I'd like to go back and change -- I still think Chris should use the .45.

:lol I bet if Mikami had wanted a .45, nobody on the team would've seconed guessed him.

Synless

jett said:
:lol I bet if Mikami had wanted a .45, nobody on the team would've seconed guessed him.
Nobody would have dared to change it on him without him knowing. I would be pissed if I were this guy.

Not review related by did anyone hear of this?

http://www.rehorror.net/v20/game-site-tries-provoke-racism-reaction
Tabloid-esque games site Kikizo forwarded their Resident Evil 5 preview to the BBFC Head of Communications in hopes of getting a newsworthy reaction from her. Fortunately, she told them they were over-reacting.

Normally, we would give sites the benefit of the doubt, but Kikizo is well known for a being a site that relies wholly on attention-grabbing headlines and twisting any story, quote or article to produce maximum controversy, because God knows they need something to overcome their abysmal writing. reH has abstained from covering the furore over racism in the past, but when a site deliberately sends a factually inaccurate article depicting Resident Evil 5 as a game that relies on the fear of "black men corrupting white women" in order to try and embroil a ratings board in the racism debate, potentially upping or even delaying Resident Evil 5's age classification, we felt they should be named and shamed. Make no mistake, this is not a harmless request for comment from a differing viewpoint, they were hoping to kick the racism argument up a notch and get the most strongly-worded comment possible for them to stick in a headline. And if the BBFC criticises Capcom or even threatens to hold-up classification, so much the better. Just means more hits for them. For self-purported games enthusiasts to try and cause trouble for a game's release in hopes of getting a better story is reprehensible.

Luckily, they seemed to have forgotten that the ratings board has seen this footage for themselves first-hand, and so the BBFC were able to point out to them that the man assaulting the woman in question was in fact not black, and said dress, not skimpy.

Johann

jett said:

You have different schools of thought when designing a game. You have the Valve approach in which you strip away pieces of the gameplay that don't work or gut the original build of the game entirely. You end up with a very lean and focused game that doesn't have any "fat" that gets in the way.

One other approach is throw everything and the kitchen sink at the game and hope something sticks. I fear that is what is happening to the RE5 without Mikami's vision to guide the team. I'd hate it if Capcom is throwing all kinds of gameplay elements, such as cover and Co-Op, in the game with little rhyme or reason.

Resident Evil 4 was really the result of a lot gutting by Mikami. He was basically broke down Resident Evil 4 over and over again until he got a well-crafted game (and Devil May Cry). Take notice how many elements were in the first El Gigante fight. You had the possibility of a dog helping you fight depending on if you freed the dog earlier. You could take shelter in the cabins but El Gigante would rip the damn roof right off and attack (and you lose any health or ammo pickups in them). You could take aim at the exposed las plagas or save ammo by using the knife mini-game.

I'm sure there is much more to the fight in RE5. However, doesn't it feel like a step back when the game is on consoles that are exponentially more powerful than the Gamecube/PS2 and you end up with a hybrid QTE/Lightgun shooter?

Anyway, we'll see in a few days.

Varth

Thrakier said:
It would be very very nice of you if you could compare the demo with the same sections in the review code and tells uf it runs the same. :) I'm still on the edge which version I should buy, I tend to the PS3 version but the framerate in the demo was really not good (more like 27FPS insteand of constant 30).

Just finished taking a very fast look. While panning the camera left and right I can in fact notice the choppiness of the movement, but I have to say, I don't know if I would have noticed without actually looking for it. As I said, it's nothing gamebreaking even like this. For those who care, I'll take a look at the review code tomorrow to confirm.

Synless

Varth said:
Just finished taking a very fast look. While panning the camera left and right I can in fact notice the choppiness of the movement, but I have to say, I don't know if I would have noticed without actually looking for it. As I said, it's nothing gamebreaking even like this. For those who care, I'll take a look at the review code tomorrow to confirm.
Please do!

Top Bottom