• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 review thread

Wark

http://www.gametrailers.com/bonusround_player.php?ep=301&ch=2 - The second RE5 Bonus Round is up on GameTrailers.

Oh and to clarify my post on the last page, I wasn't stating whether or not any of the Resident Evil games were scarier than the next nor I was implying that horror wasn't an element that is part of RE4 or RE5 -- the whole series is part of the horror genre. I was just giving my personal definition of what I thought the survival horror genre was and why many people probably do not consider RE4 a survival horror game. Anyway, I guess I like how MiamiWesker put it: survival horror was a term coined by Capcom to describe what they believed Resident Evil was.

Mamesj

Banned
Capcom makes up genres guys.

Stylish action, survival horror...

also, if it was really survival, you wouldn't heal yourself by eating weed. you get bit by zombie, go "that guy's a maniac!" then turn into a zombie. then play the rest of the game as a zombie trying to get brains.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Duck Amuck said:
RE5cover_cropped.jpg

Hmmm
Awesome, I'm looking forward to this (obviously).

Concept17

Arguing over whether its an action title or a survival horror title comes as no surprise. After seeing the media of RE5 and playing the demo, and THEN watching the retrospective on GT, it made me realize just how different the series is now, and how much I miss the general atmosphere and true sense of horror that made the first games so great. Of course, you can't exactly keep introducing zombies over and over. But the music and atmosphere is something the series was primarily known for, and it doesn't seem that way anymore.

I have my own qualms about RE5, but hopefully it turns out great in the end.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love how he's in full BSAA uniform and is equipped to the teeth while laying flowers on a tombstone in that shot. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Buckethead said:
When's this rig come out? Haven't been paying much attention to gaming.
Friday March the 13th in Western countries

It's a week or so earlier in Japan/Asia

Wark

Diablohead said:
Week earlier in japan? shit I'm seriously going to have to tread lightly in game threads for that week.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I'm going into super blackout mode when the game is released in Japan on the 5th. It's going to be so hard for me to avoid spoilers.

Shouta

Anyone know if there's gonna be any like censoring like they did with RE4 for the different regions? I haven't really followed the thread so I don't know if it's been answered or not.

Was considering picking up the Asian PS3 version but was wondering if it was subject to that junk. If so, I'll just have to wait until the PS3 version and get it sent to me quickly, har.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shouta said:
Anyone know if there's gonna be any like censoring like they did with RE4 for the different regions? I haven't really followed the thread so I don't know if it's been answered or not.

Was considering picking up the Asian PS3 version but was wondering if it was subject to that junk. If so, I'll just have to wait until the PS3 version and get it sent to me quickly, har.

iirc both the JP and US demo (for the 360) were exactly the same thing and they never showed your head falling off when the chainsaw guy kills you, it just puts the camera in an awkward position where you can't see your head at all.

chandoog said:
iirc both the JP and US demo (for the 360) were exactly the same thing and they never showed your head falling off when the chainsaw guy kills you, it just puts the camera in an awkward position where you can't see your head at all.

The other day the chainsaw guy killed Sheva (stupid bitch) and I'm pretty sure his head was in their place, probably because the demo was based on the JP version.

I thought it was confirmed that there won't be censoring in the US and EU versions.

zoukka

Is it a horror game? Are you guys kidding??

There's dismembering, scary monsters, dark corridors and caves, hordes of zombies, secret underground research facilities, giant alligators lurking in dark waters and who knows what other abominations in the latter parts of the game.

It's not Silent Hill by any means, but it's a fucking horror game alright.

JudgeN

WTF is up with people beating this game in 9 hours. RE4 was a 15-20 hour game and RE5 is fucking less then 10 hours? I'm so tired of this generation and there short as fuck games for $59.99. When last gen I got more game for $10 less, FUCK CAPCOM FUCK FUCK UGH RAGE!!!!!!!

zoukka said:
Is it a horror game? Are you guys kidding??

There's dismembering, scary monsters, dark corridors and caves, hordes of zombies, secret underground research facilities, giant alligators lurking in dark waters and who knows what other abominations in the latter parts of the game.

It's not Silent Hill by any means, but it's a fucking horror game alright.

Yeah, and you didn't see almost nothing of the game, who thought RE4 could have some moments plenty of tension, after all the previews and stuff we saw before got released?

Pojo

Banned
Rez said:
I love how he's in full BSAA uniform and is equipped to the teeth while laying flowers on a tombstone in that shot. :lol
Can you even imagine the kind of hell he'd have to unleash if Jill were to rise from that grave as one of the undead? He's only being prepared.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, and you didn't see almost nothing of the game, who thought RE4 could have some moments plenty of tension, after all the previews and stuff we saw before got released?

big hydraulic statue of salazar says helloooo :lol

one of the game's more wickedly stupid, awesome, funny moments.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
JudgeN said:
WTF is up with people beating this game in 9 hours. RE4 was a 15-20 hour game and RE5 is fucking less then 10 hours? I'm so tired of this generation and there short as fuck games for $59.99. When last gen I got more game for $10 less, FUCK CAPCOM FUCK FUCK UGH RAGE!!!!!!!

Wait till its a Platinum Hit and buy it at 19.99-29.99?

Wark

When exactly is there going to be an official thread? I know the thread goes up two weeks prior to the game's release, but since the game is coming out in 18 days in Western countries, then we should be expecting it in 4 days? Or is there a chance we'll get a thread before then since the game is being released in less than 10 days in Asian countries?

Duck Amuck said:
On a FRIDAY? Holy fuck.

I'm thinking the decapitations aren't shown because it was a demo. I mean, anyone can dl the demo, even kids.

Yeah, because it's Friday the 13th ;)

Nizz

Fallout-NL said:
Thanks to all the people suggesting control type C. That worked a lot better for me and now I actually enjoyed the demo. Think I'll be buying it after all. The only thing that worries me now is the not so great framerate (PS3 demo). Is that going to be any better in the final version?
This is what worries me. I still see no mention if they took care of the framerate from the PS3 demo...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Duck Amuck said:
All of RE4's previews and trailers were full of tension for me.

Compare this RE4 trailer to the latest RE5 trailer.

THere is a big difference in the media presented for both pre-release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djqN5ssr-tc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0hy2ZeI-y0
Well, it's hard to say. With RE5 their marketing angle is all "LOOK AT OUR CINEMATICS! THEY LOOK INCREDIBLE!" in an all out summer blockerbuster style, whereas with RE4 they were busy trying to establish to fans that even though the game has changed style, the horror still remained.

It seems to me like RE5 is going to be as "scary" as RE4 was, which means more tension than actual frights, but we'll have to wait and see. RE4 was always first and foremost an action game, to me.

Wark said:
When exactly is there going to be an official thread? I know the thread goes up two weeks prior to the game's release, but since the game is coming out in 18 days in Western countries, then we should be expecting it in 4 days? Or is there a chance we'll get a thread before then since the game is being released in less than 10 days in Asian countries?

Yeah, because it's Friday the 13th ;)
We usually get an official thread a week before the game's first release. So it will probably be a week before the JP release.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Exactly. Too many people assume that the demo and trailer is going to be all that RE5 is. There's undoubtedly a whole lot of goodies packed away in the game that we haven't even glimpsed yet.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it was just this big chewy wad of badass that still hasn't lost its flavor.

resident evil 4 is the everlasting gobstopper of gaming

and shinji mikami is our resident willy wonka

Ridley327

On the other hand, that video looks boring as shit. Regardless of how many times you had to fight him, each Gigante fight in RE4 was pretty damn varied. This looks like every other turret sequence in a game that isn't Metal Gear-related, i.e. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
"Let's put in an El Gigante boss battle, OH GODS, we don't have time to complete it, let's make it on rails!"

versus

"Hmm... you know what? We need to end this jeep sequence in style. Hmm... how can w - - I know! Let's have the player have a lightgun-esque style battle against one of the biggest and most iconic RE4 enemies! It'll be a really cool climax to this gameplay sequence, as well as a nice throwback to RE4!"

Rez said:
"Let's put in an El Gigante boss battle, OH GODS, we don't have time to complete it, let's make it on rails!"

versus

"Hmm... you know what? We need to end this jeep sequence in style. Hmm... how can w - - I know! Let's have the player have a lightgun-esque style battle against one of the biggest and most iconic RE4 enemies! It'll be a really cool climax to this gameplay sequence, as well as a nice throwback to RE4!"
option c: if they can't make a proper boss battle don't include him at all. that looked horrid. actually, they should scrap all the turret sections--turret sections are the most base gameplay mechanic imaginable. they aren't tense, they aren't fun: they exist to hinder progress and do nothing but pad game length.

playing a fps with your feet stuck to the ground is for lamer cripples, no thanks.

Ridley327

Rez said:

versus

I'm not sure what you're getting at here; are you trying to describe two different approaches to that video or what? Coming off of the great valley chase and the Dos Gigantes sequences in RE4, sitting there on a gun while the Gigante makes strange animations and conveniently makes his way over to some red barrels that scream SHOOT ME is the very definition of anti-climatic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Applesauce said:
Anyone else planning on playing this the first time through online with a friend?
I'm going to go single-player the first time through. I don't want to have to rely on my schedule intersecting with a friends to actually play the game.

I'll probably have another game of it running, at a slower pace, with a friend.

Wark

Applesauce said:
Anyone else planning on playing this the first time through online with a friend?

I'm probably gonna play the game online with my friend after we both pick it up at the midnight launch.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Applesauce said:
Probably but only when that person wants to play my level or progression. I do want to do it all co-op at some point for the trophies though.

Thrakier

fps fanatic said:
This is what worries me. I still see no mention if they took care of the framerate from the PS3 demo...

I'm 99% sure that they won't change anything about that. I mean most of the time the demos we play and the final are more or less the same because they only give us almost finished segements as a demo.

JudgeN said:

Blame the stupid videogame mags who whined about RE4 being "too long." Yep, they really fucking said that. Good to know they are becoming extinct.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
LiquidMetal14 said:
Probably but only when that person wants to play my level or progression. I do want to do it all co-op at some point for the trophies though.

It would be great if I could play the entire thing in online co-op the first time, I think that would make for an experience much more entertaining than doing it alone. But like Rez said, scheduling stuff like that can be a pain in the ass. Plus, playing online looks like it will be plenty satisfying, even if you both know what's about to pop out.

ilikeme

Mikami > Takeuchi obviously but

co-op hopefully saves the game!
Co-op Mercs! <3

edit: =( The video.

BamYouHaveAids said:
playing a fps with your feet stuck to the ground like a lamer cripples, no thanks.
Hopefully it's a short segment and the only fucking one. That shit isn't even fun in co-op.

Applesauce said:
Split-screen with my brother hopefully =)

Varth

fps fanatic said:

No problem with that. The game never left me really amazed graphically (though it offers a couple of really nice sights), but it's pretty solid in every aspect. Tried putting it to the test for frame rate and tearing here and there, no problem whatsoever.

Christopher

uh there were framerate issues in the PS3 demo? Not that I could see...at all.

Are any of you guys getting this:

51lcbfpOXlL._AA280_.jpg

90 bucks for usless knicknacks is pushing it and I LOVE Resident Evil. Perhaps if they threw an Umbrella shirt, and the bag had the umbrella logo I would get it.

51NtxoMgJfL._AA280_.jpg

Davey Cakes

Rez said:
I'm just glad we're not being dropped in a ring with Gigante again and being asked to do the same thing as in RE4 up to 4 times already. It looks like it will be a cool climax to the jeep chase sequence.
A glaring example of fanaticism taken too far, I guess.

Top Bottom