• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 review thread

Wark

Christopher said:
uh there were framerate issues in the PS3 demo? Not that I could see...at all.

Are any of you guys getting this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lcbfpOXlL._AA280_.jpg

90 bucks for usless knicknacks is pushing it and I LOVE Resident Evil. Perhaps if they threw an Umbrella shirt, and the bag had the umbrella logo I would get it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NtxoMgJfL._AA280_.jpg

Yeah, sadly enough, I'm gonna be paying $90 for a bunch of knickknacks. :( I must be a chump because everyone I know is just picking up the standard edition.

21amj40.png

I was thinking about getting the Japanese limited edition for the PS3, but with the majority of my friends are buying it for the 360 so I decided to just stick the 360 version. I would purchase both of them, but I'm a little short on case right now. :/

Wark said:
Yeah, sadly enough, I'm gonna be paying $90 for a bunch of knickknacks. :( I must be a chump because everyone I know is just picking up the standard edition.

http://i40.tinypic.com/21amj40.png[IMG]

I was thinking about getting the Japanese limited edition for the PS3, but with the majority of my friends are buying it for the 360 so I decided to just stick the 360 version. I would purchase both of them, but I'm a little short on case right now. :/[/QUOTE]

Whoa, I was only aware of the Asian/Japanese LE that came with the chainsaw USB key. I'm all over that, but I'm guess they are going to be ultra rare since Play-Asia isn't even taking pre-orders yet. I wonder if NCSX will carry it.

Wark

Valkyr Junkie said:
Whoa, I was only aware of the Asian/Japanese LE that came with the chainsaw USB key. I'm all over that, but I'm guess they are going to be ultra rare since Play-Asia isn't even taking pre-orders yet. I wonder if NCSX will carry it.

Yeah, I really love the slipcase that everything comes in; not to mention the cool case the USB Tricell vial comes in too.

Davey Cakes

Ridley327 said:
Wait, how long have they actually been making this game?
It's been in the making since 2005, the same year as RE4. I'm not sure when the actual programming started, but we can probably estimate that it's been in the cooker for 3-4 years.

REmake and RE0 came out in the same year. RE4 came out less than three years after RE0. I hope that RE5 does something truly bspecial to make it worth the increased wait time.

Wark

Rash said:
It's been in the making since 2005, the same year as RE4. I'm not sure when the actual programming started, but we can probably estimate that it's been in the cooker for 3-4 years.

REmake and RE0 came out in the same year. RE4 came out less than three years after RE0. I hope that RE5 does something truly bspecial to make it worth the increased wait time.

Yeah, as with the previous RE games, I also think its safe to assume that they could have been working on multiple versions of the game before the final version of the game was conceived.

I never played an RE game before in my life but after playing the Demo I had mix feelings I hated the controls which was the first thing I notices but I like the AI with your partern sheva or what ever her name is it was amazing how well she helped me made it feel so life like.

Ridley327

The only reason I asked is because I'm astonished that in all that time, the best they could think of for those situation were.....turrets.

The best thing about RE4 was the sheer variety of encounters. Every sub-chapter had at least one completely new scenario to play through that wasn't like anything else you'd encounter before or since. Even the Gigante fights played nothing alike despite having the same basic setup. Now with a lot of new RE5 info popping up, to discover that they didn't really understand that part of the game is pretty disheartening. At the very least, going from taking on two Gigantes with nothing more than what you had on you to fighting just one from the back of a damn jeep is three huge steps backwards.

Davey Cakes

Ridley327 said:
The best thing about RE4 was the sheer variety of encounters. Every sub-chapter had at least one completely new scenario to play through that wasn't like anything else you'd encounter before or since. Even the Gigante fights played nothing alike despite having the same basic setup. Now with a lot of new RE5 info popping up, to discover that they didn't really understand that part of the game is pretty disheartening. At the very least, going from taking on two Gigantes with nothing more than what you had on you to fighting just one from the back of a damn jeep is three huge steps backwards.
Best thing to do is continue to reserve your judgments. A lot of RE4's surprising and awesome encounters were exactly that, surprises. RE5's bound to have some as well.

S1kkZ

do we know anything about the unlockables of re 5?
mercenaries, new costumes, new weapons, new game+ mode, play sp as sheva? i

All this complaining over a turrent section!!!! You guys... honestly.. are the biggest bunch of whiny bitches this side of the internet. Let me quote my favorite line from a movie, but edited to fit the mentality I see in this thread.

*ahem*

"All people that complain about the turrent section on a game you haven't even played yet... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

~Kinggi~

Banned
vala said:
AWESOME boss battle :
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23746

:lol :lol :lol
WTF :(((((
Lol, well, that wasnt the whole boss battle obviously. There are probably sections involving a moving vehicle or some other form of attack.

Stop the bitching, tards.

Also, those graphics looked amazing. The lighting effects from machine gun and thunder were awesome, and the smoke from the explosions were great.

Nizz

Varth said:
No problem with that. The game never left me really amazed graphically (though it offers a couple of really nice sights), but it's pretty solid in every aspect. Tried putting it to the test for frame rate and tearing here and there, no problem whatsoever.
You've played the final game? That's good to hear the PS3 version's running solid. ;)

Davey Cakes

slasher_thrasher21 said:
"All people that complain about the turrent section on a game you haven't even played yet... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Billy Madison.

Pojo

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Lol, well, that wasnt the whole boss battle obviously. There are probably sections involving a moving vehicle or some other form of attack.

Stop the bitching, tards.

Also, those graphics looked amazing. The lighting effects from machine gun and thunder were awesome, and the smoke from the explosions were great.
Indeed. It's one boss battle, and it looks fun. Get over it, people.

I'm concerned with the PS3 build, to be honest. Any reports of huge differences between the 360 and PS3? I know the PS3 doesn't have 1080i, which is something Capcom keeps dropping the ball with over and over again.

You actually fight the lake monster on a rocket turret, so that's two! Don't worry the big bad men won't criticize your precious game. You can stop your bitching and go back to your uninterupted masturbation session. Ooh-oo child things are gonna get easier, ooh--oo child things'll get brighter.

Thrakier

Varth said:
No problem with that. The game never left me really amazed graphically (though it offers a couple of really nice sights), but it's pretty solid in every aspect. Tried putting it to the test for frame rate and tearing here and there, no problem whatsoever.

Did you play the ps3 demo? What do you think about the framerate in the demo?

~Kinggi~

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
You actually fight the lake monster on a rocket turret, so that's two! Don't worry the big bad men won't criticize your precious game. You can stop your bitching and go back to your uninterupted masturbation session. Ooh-oo child things are gonna get easier, ooh--oo child things'll get brighter.
hi

Rash said:
Billy Madison.
That reminds me: I haven't watched that movie in 2 or more years (I used to watch it once a week or more)!

Back to Resident Evil 5, I still think it can surprise us. I actually like what they're doing so far; you start out with a pretty big team of people on your side to back you up, but each member gets slowly picked off. You start out with a lot of hope, but all your people die leaving you with only Sheva.

RE4 did something like this too. Remember Mike? Not only was that a complete shock that you'd have a helicopter guy as back up, but it gave you a gleem of hope. You'd think: "FINALLY! Now I can escape this island!" Then he gets shot down, and you're back to having no one but youself.

I have faith in Capcom keeping horror elements, or at least elements that make you feel like you have no chance to survive. As long as you feel isolated, trapped, and out-numbered, the fear I experienced in RE4 can still make a return. Judging from some of the levels (like the
pyramid
), I'd say there is a high chance that there will be sections in the game that will make you feel uneasy, and even a little scared to proceed to that dark tunnel.

Varth

Thrakier said:
Did you play the ps3 demo? What do you think about the framerate in the demo?

Nope. I received the review code long before the demo, so I never bothered. Only recently I downloaded both KZ2 and RE5 demo to check on issues people were OMGing about, but stopped at the first one. Will take a look as soon as I can, however.

On a personal note, people shouldn't really take demos for anything more than a general illustration of what the game *plays* like.

Ridley327

It's really not just the turrets being a prominent and recent concern that fuels some of the frustration that I can assume more than few people are having with the game, be it through recently released media or the demo itself. I haven't bothered to look at the thread for the demo, but my issue with it stemmed from the AI being drastically reduced in its aggressiveness, making whatever numbers they throw at you fairly inconsequential due to being able to run past them and rarely getting grabbed by any of them. It's even worse with the chainsaw guy as he just kind of stands there for a bit before doing anything. The turrets are just one more thing that really adds to some of the trepidation towards the game. I would hope that these examples are really just a bad indication of how other scenarios play out during the course of the game and that they really have been playing their cards a lot closer to their chest than I would expect from Capcom these days, but it's pretty stupid to suggest that all the bitching is undue. Cute quotes from stupid movies (that, incidentally, doesn't even make sense in this situation) aren't going to help quell legitimate concerns that people have.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
1up posted the "5 Secret Things About RE5" section of their cover story. It's part of their interview with Takeuchi.

Nothing too interesting, here's some tidbits:

Jun Takeuchi: As you've probably seen, in the game Chris uses the M92 from the start. But actually, because Chris has bulked up and is beefier than he was before, I wanted to have him use a .45 as his weapon of choice. I kept saying, "Let's have him use a .45," so we had him using the .45, and it was great. But then I was playing the game one day and I noticed he was using the M92 again. I wondered what was going on, since Chris should be using the .45, but it turned out that all of the development team had felt that Chris simply had to use the M92. I guess I lost that round, but that's one of the things I'd like to go back and change -- I still think Chris should use the .45.

Anyway, you know that Sheva appears in the game as Chris's partner. We had the idea for Sheva very early on in development. We knew exactly what kind of character we wanted her to be, but it took a long time to get her design to the right level of attractiveness before we were satisfied. [Laughs] We kept going back to the design, and I was actually the one who made the most complaints and asked for it to be redone. We spent a lot of time designing and redesigning her. Ultimately, we probably went through 50 Sheva variations.

1UP: Did you just keep saying, "Hotter. No, hotter. HOTTER." [Laughter] Did you have an actress or anything in mind as a reference point? As in, "She's got to be Beyoncé hot."

JT: What we were going for was not Beyoncé-level hot, but hotter than Angelina Jolie. watwat We had so many variations of her face. We had a lot of versions where the only thing changed was that her lips were 5mm bigger or 10mm bigger.

1UP: That has to be some hilarious concept art.

JT: Actually, I wanted to add those into the art books when we were putting them together. But, when I asked the designer for them, he said he had wanted to forget about all the time they spent designing Sheva, so he threw all the other designs away.

Thrakier

Varth said:
Nope. I received the review code long before the demo, so I never bothered. Only recently I downloaded both KZ2 and RE5 demo to check on issues people were OMGing about, but stopped at the first one. Will take a look as soon as I can, however.

On a personal note, people shouldn't really take demos for anything more than a general illustration of what the game *plays* like.

It would be very very nice of you if you could compare the demo with the same sections in the review code and tells uf it runs the same. :) I'm still on the edge which version I should buy, I tend to the PS3 version but the framerate in the demo was really not good (more like 27FPS insteand of constant 30).

Varth

Thrakier said:
It would be very very nice of you if you could compare the demo with the same sections in the review code and tells uf it runs the same. :) I'm still on the edge which version I should buy, I tend to the PS3 version but the framerate in the demo was really not good (more like 27FPS insteand of constant 30).

Soon as I can catch a break I'll take a look, but I have to warn you: I'n not interested in technical issues when unrelated to the gameplay esperience. I usually notice this kind of things only when they actually get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, so if the problem is 27 instead of 30 frames I don't know if I'm the right man to ask. Anyway, I'll do what I can.

Davey Cakes

I don't get the whole "make Sheva hot" thing. Who cares how attractive the characters are?

First it's bulking up Chris for no reason, and now it's making his sidekick a hotty. I just don't understand what's so important about these unimportant character traits.

It's not like I would've thought any different of Ashley if Capcom gave her a smaller chest size.

Thrakier

Varth said:
Soon as I can catch a break I'll take a look, but I have to warn you: I'n not interested in technical issues when unrelated to the gameplay esperience. I usually notice this kind of things only when they actually get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, so if the problem is 27 instead of 30 frames I don't know if I'm the right man to ask. Anyway, I'll do what I can.

Yeah, but if you don't notice any framerate issues in the demo this also means that the final code is probably not different. So in any way it will be a help. If it's the same to you I'll buy the 360-version.

Rash said:
I don't get the whole "make Sheva hot" thing. Who cares how attractive the characters are?

First it's bulking up Chris for no reason, and now it's making his sidekick a hotty. I just don't understand what's so important about these unimportant character traits.

It's not like I would've thought any different of Ashley if Capcom gave her a smaller chest size.

dude videogame girls, except for Aeris are always going to have big chests. it's just a thing, happens in movies and TV, and games are no exception. I'm pretty sure they know that RE5 would sell the same number of copies that it would have if Sheva had smaller boobs, but it's a videogame horror franchise, of course there's going to be sex appeal.

JudgeN

Rash said:

After the ass kicking Chris got in CV by Wesker id bulk the fuck up too :lol

Duck Amuck said:
NO!

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKE!

I remember that scene, added to the fact he refused Ashley in the end, made clear to me Leon real sexual orientation.

Rez said:
Jun Takeuchi: As you've probably seen, in the game Chris uses the M92 from the start. But actually, because Chris has bulked up and is beefier than he was before, I wanted to have him use a .45 as his weapon of choice. I kept saying, "Let's have him use a .45," so we had him using the .45, and it was great. But then I was playing the game one day and I noticed he was using the M92 again. I wondered what was going on, since Chris should be using the .45, but it turned out that all of the development team had felt that Chris simply had to use the M92. I guess I lost that round, but that's one of the things I'd like to go back and change -- I still think Chris should use the .45.

Mikami would be proud of his ex-workers.

Rash said:
Well, it's easier to market a game with a pretty woman than a fat, ugly one. Plus, not to sound mean, but it's easier to care for and want to protect a pretty lady, then, let's say, a not-so-pretty lady.

Bulking up Chris was pointless and pretty stupid, but I tihnk it's pretty easy to digest the reasoning for making the female lead attractive.

But Ashley is a stupid bitch character that I want temped to murder the whole game.

If you really don't understand the concept of making characters attractive, then take Ada for example. Would it be believable for a pretty boy like Leon to have feelings for Ada if she looked like Amy Winehouse? Aside from that, her character wouldn't be as effective if she were ugly.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
JudgeN said:
After the ass kicking Chris got in CV by Wesker id bulk the fuck up too :lol

Pretty much. Chris had plenty of reason to hit the gym. It's amazing that he even ate those punches Wesker was giving him, when he was the size that he was in CVX. His chest should have caved in as well as his jaw.

Ridley327

I'd have to imagine that we're going to be entering into a slight lull for reviews due to embargoes and whatnot. I'd imagine we'll start seeing the bulk of them a week before the game comes out.

Morts

Add me to the list of people disappointed by the less than 10 hour length. And is it confirmed that the lake boss battle will be on a turret too? One turret segment I could handle, two is pushing it.

And is there
single-player Mercenaries?

Christopher said:
I'm def going to play with my brother offline and Penguin online.

Wow did magazine really say that Re4 was too long?

Yes. The mind-blowing stupidity that can be found in many "professional" reviews is bordering on astounding. When your reviews start sounding more and more like the lazy/troll reviews you can find at gamefaqs, etc., it's time to clean house or change the word "review" into "involuntary fluctuating bias." Still, it is pretty funny to read the ridiculous stuff some of them come up with to lower or raise a game's score. Revisionist history, retroactively trolling an old game as if it were made today, ignoring flaws in one game and obsessing over them in another, making up flaws, turning pros into cons using bizarre logic, etc. You name it. It's like they don't want to review games anymore, so they just go through the motions.

Dave1988

FTWer said:
No newer reviews yet?

PSXExtreme (Polish multi-platform magazine, NOT the website)

Score: 9-/10

- Outside of co-op, it's basically RE4 HD.
- Story info: The game explains how the virus came into existance, describes events that happened even before RE0 and sheds new light on a few things. Las Plagas are also involved in the African incident.

- The destructability of the environment has been somewhat improved but it's still limited to what the designers allow us to destroy.

- Sheva's AI is pretty good: she moves away from our line of fire, provides help when needed, pick up ammo and herbs that the player misses and so on.

- Co-op is fantastic and he really likes that a second player can join in at any given moment (though if a person does join us we are automatically brought back to the last activated checkpoint)

- There's no merchant in the game, all our weapon purchases/ upgrades are carried out in a menu accessed between chapters. On that note, you're always short on cash because there's a plethora of weapons to buy/ upgrade. (about the Upgrade system: you upgrade the Firepower, Reload Speed, Capacity and Critical Hit %)

- He says that the biggest "issue" in the game is the control system. It's a like it or leave it relationship. He, himself, states that at first he had a negative approach to this archaic control scheme but now he understands that it was a conscious design decision. This control scheme lets the enemies get the drop on us and makes the game more challenging.

- The context sensitive cover system is introduced along with the gun wielding Majini.

- He mentions that he wishes this game would have more trickier to take down foes like the Regenerators in RE4.

- The boss fights are a bit worse than in RE4.

- The says that the villige looks phenomenal (especially durning the day) but it goes downhill from there. The Factory and the Caves lack finesse, however, the latter can mesmerize you with its lightining effects and excellent texture work.

- The "puzzles" (if you can call them that) in RE5 boil down to go there, get the key, turn the velve and so on.

- The game looks a bit better on the Xbox360 but those are minute details which likely most people won't even notice.

- The character models are top notch.

- The characters themselves are rather bland personality-wise. The dialogues in the game are rather mediocre, however, the voice acting is fine.

- The story as a whole is rather bland, predictable and unispired but RE fans will be satisfied with it.

- It took him 12 hours to complete the game but he immediately returned to it because of the plentiful bonuses and unlockables.

Some side notes:
- Monsters from RE1 will make a comeback.

- They were forbidded by CAPCOM to write about a certain someone appearing in the game, the bonus mode and the other unlockables, certain locations in the game, print screenshots from the final chapter of the game or those showcasing QTEs.

VaLiancY

Mediocre dialogue in a Resident Evil game?! What!

Thanks for that update, the unlockables sounds good. Hopefully it won't be like pulling beautiful teeth to get my handcannon all over again.:lol

Wark

Thanks for the review, bud. I would spoiler some of that stuff though. ;)

Dave1988 said:
PSXExtreme (Polish mulit-platform magazine, NOT the website)

Score: 9-/10

What the hell is a 9-? :lol

Dave1988 said:
-
There's no merchant in the game, all our weapon purchases/ upgrades are carried out in a menu accessed between chapters.
On that note, you're always short on cash because there's a plethora of weapons to buy/ upgrade. (about the Upgrade system: you upgrade the Firepower, Reload Speed, Capacity and Critical Hit %)

:( I'll miss you,
stranger.

Dave1988 said:
Some side notes:
-
Monsters from RE1 will make a comeback.

Interesting. I also remember hearing about
lickers
coming back too.

Dave1988 said:
- They were forbidded by CAPCOM to write about a certain someone appearing in the game, the bonus mode and the other unlockables, certain locations in the game, print screenshots from the final chapter of the game or those showcasing QTEs.

Mmmmm . . . forbidden sandwich.

[Nintex]

Leon? If they're going to reboot the series with RE6, we must at least get a glimpse of HD/next-gen Leon.

Dave1988

Wark said:
Interesting. I also remember hearing about
lickers
coming back too.

Yes, one screenshot even shows Sheva facing off against 4 or 5
Lickers.
It looks like they too were injected with the same bullshark testosterone that Chris was because, man, they are ripped! :p

Mesijs said:
I'm really wondering why there's so much time between all the reviews...

I'm guessing that the later the review published the more stuff you are allowed to talk about in it.

Top Bottom