• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

Vamphuntr

What if the twist is that Rebecca and Ashley are the same person? Her role as a STARS agent was simply a cover she used to go out and have fun behind her father's back. Maybe that's how she got captured in RE4 too!

If she built a time machine I could believe this.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Sorry, I forgot we were on a forum discussing law, politics, famine etc.

I like video games, I can't help that, so to see almost every single solitary one I like (especially from the late 90s + early 2000s) go down this dumbed down immature path is a pain in the fucking arse.

If you can't relate to that, tough luck.

What about the people that grew up with the series and aren't flipping their shit over the direction it's taken?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I like video games, I can't help that, so to see almost every single solitary one I like (especially from the late 90s + early 2000s) go down this dumbed down immature path is a pain in the fucking arse.

I love video games, too. The difference between you and me is that it's a hobby for me. It seems to be your ENTIRE EXISTENCE.

Seriously dude. Chill out. You're starting to sound like a fucking crazy person.

lol @ "derp console shooter", cause Resident Evil was never a console series, right guys?

LOL, I know. He's acting like RE1 was a 4X game.

What about the people that grew up with the series and aren't flipping their shit over the direction it's taken?

Like me.

Oh wait, I'm apparently okay with mediocrity, so I don't count. Nevermind!

The original RE didn't give you enough ammo to play it like an action game. If you went around trying to kill every zombie you were going to be in deep shit. Unless you were like that crazy guy that managed to beat it with a knife. :p

RE2 was really actiony by comparison though. CVX also.

Keasar

Capcom is really doing their best to do nothing but troll long time fans of the franchise now.

Looks like a fucking Gear of War/Vanquish/RE5 hybrid wannabe. And the animation looks god awful.
dowant.jpg

If it is anything like that, but with zombies, then I can live with it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, that was an awesome action game trailer. Looked fantastic.

It's a trailer.

Trailers are meant to be exciting.

Action is exciting.

That doesn't mean the whole game is comprised of over-the-top action.

Puddles

Banned
SMH @ Papercuts.

SMFH.

A point by point rebuttal that might technically be correct, but completely fails to address the issues that my post discussed.

RE4: creepy town, creepy gothic church/castle/dungeon, morbid feel for much of the game, lots of big mutated baddies, enemies generally fit the horror vibe.

RE5: brightly-lit town, brightly-lit swamp, not creepy/spooky/morbid or whichever adjective you want to use, ridiculous Tomb Raider/Uncharted/Legend of the Hidden Temple-esque set piece near the end, enemies wearing Crash Bandicoot masks... seriously wtf is this shit?

RE6: Much closer to classic RE titles in atmosphere, but with the dial turned up to 11.

StuBurns

Banned
lol @ "derp console shooter", cause Resident Evil was never a console series, right guys?
That was back when game consoles weren't toys for children apparently, and Resident Evil was mature and serious. It's gone from The Divine Comedy to the Beano dude.

TEJ

Bahahahahahahah!

Oh man, I didn't think I'd crack a smile after this news today. That's great. The only puzzle you'll be solving, my naive friend, is which button to press to start the game.

oh great wise and wonderful RE master, tell me about this wonderful RE puzzle solving. All I can remember is finding item A, using it on certain place A, getting item B......

gconsole

The reason they change the series direction is because the declining in sale for survival horror game. Those moaning people only want to play the same old thing till it die :/

They don't know how much RE4 draw attention for the new people into the series and revive RE name back into the business. And now they want to drag that back to RE CV/RE 0 situation again. It's been 6 years now and they still complaining for the game being too much action ....

I don't think most people here are saying it was the one and only direction the series could go. They're saying it's the one Capcom would have chosen regardless of other games in the market, even though they could have done something different. That in the developer's minds, this was the proper evolution of the series.

What? I don't think that is the path at all that Capcom would have gone if not for the popularity and influence of Gears. The lazily added cover system of 5 is enough proof of that. They felt they had to because everyone else was. Same thing with co-op. I bet it wasn't even part of the original idea. The very very first trailer had no signs of co-op. In fact the early talk of 5 was very different.

Riposte

Philll have you considered the prospect that this game will be fun to play because of the shooting? (P.S. plz take your mood stabilizers before replying.)

The original RE didn't give you enough ammo to play it like an action game. If you went around trying to kill every zombie you were going to be in deep shit. Unless you were like that crazy guy that managed to beat it with a knife. :p
To be fair, if you had precision aiming to pull off headshots, you probably could kill every zombie. ;) My point is, the only way Resident Evil goes back to the avoidance of killing zombies is if you get no ammo or tank controls, and I wouldn't expect either of those to happen.

I'm 23 and I've played all the resident evil games, 2,3 and 4 multiple times and you just have to accept that the franchise has taken a different direction for this gen. Its not about shitting your pants horror anymore its all about action, I personally hate the new direction they've taken which is why I don't treat it as a Resident Evil game but a good action game which looks like it could be alot of fun.

Philll

Banned
You failed to understand the point, but I expected you would.

Oooh of course, there's always a point when somebody says something stupid like that. If you expect this game will be even contain 5% of puzzles of any other RE game, it is you who fails to understand what they're doing here. Again.

I love video games, too. The difference between you and me is that it's a hobby for me. It seems to be your ENTIRE EXISTENCE.

Seriously dude. Chill out. You're starting to sound like a fucking crazy person.

I make a few posts that take around 3 minutes and that's your conclusion? But apparently I'm the "psychic".

Yeah, the original RE games were mature, ludicrously complex masterpieces right? I am sure putting the red block into the red hole took some calculus to solve.

Curufinwe

The basic problem with RE5 was that you can't have an atmosphere of isolation when you're always with a companion. It's a fundamental design flaw that they have now embraced. How well would Dead Space 2 have worked if Ellie was constantly following you around and helping you solve puzzles? It wouldn't have.

It would have sucked if you had to spend the whole of Dead Space 2 keeping an eye out for Ellie.

Never thought people would steam about a franchise like Resident Evil. Didn't the last couple games show a clear indication where it is steering towards to?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Philll have you considered the prospect that this game will be fun to play because of the shooting? (P.S. plz take your mood stabilizers before replying.)

No. Inserting the eagle medal into the eagle medal shaped hole is the kind of mindblowing complexity he laments losing in RE6.

Sigmaah

This game looks amazing!!!

Finally, we can take cover, I've always wanted that since RE4. Leon and Chris both playable? YES!

FreeMufasa

Damn. The WiiU could have one hell of a launch line-up.

Pikmin 3
Nintendo game 2
Nintendo game 3
Killer Freaks
Resident Evil 6
Darksiders 2
Arkham City
Dead or Alive 5
Ninja Gaiden 3
Assassinds Creed 3
New Call of Duty
Ghost Recon
Sports games
+ Whatever else

I think the 3rd party games that have already released by the time WiiU launches will be there at launch. Anyone else think they might cannibalize each others sales?

In fact the early talk of 5 was very different.
Yeah, I remember reading crazy stuff about Resident Evil 5 when it was first first announced. Like you had to drink water to survive and you couldn't stay in the heat for too long. It really sounded like a completely different game than the RE5 we got.

Depressing to see the amount of folks who seem to take more interest in the frustration of fans of the series than the actual trailer.

Let me put it simply; if I want to play a third person shooter, I have quite a variety of titles to choose from, made by devs very talented in the genre. Why the fuck do I have to see RE ride the cover-shooter wave for no reason other than Capcom is too scared to make a TPS without an established IP? Fuck that. Make a Resident Evil game or make a TPS with a new franchise. Of course, with Capcom's retarded executives, there's only one way for this to go: make a TPS and slap the Resident Evil name on it.

Am I getting through to any of you? But hey, continue to express your mirth over the 'whiners' or whatever.

Philll

Banned

Wow great point, because there are no other "fun" (or read: dopey dumbed down" shooters out there. Thanks for the tip.

Grymm

Banned
I think what really made the trailer seem bad for me was

I'm liking the look

I'm liking the atmosphere

I'm liking the action

and then I hear the spoken dialog and it's that disconnected "I'm just reading my lines for my paycheck and don't really understand what's happening" of that poor level that typically screams "Japanese game, lol".

Speevy

Banned
Damn. The WiiU could have one hell of a launch line-up.

Pikmin 3
Nintendo game 2
Nintendo game 3
Killer Freaks
Resident Evil 6
Darksiders 2
Arkham City
Dead or Alive 5
Ninja Gaiden 3
Assassinds Creed 3
New Call of Duty
Ghost Recon
Sports games
+ Whatever else

I think the 3rd party games that have already released by the time WiiU launches will be there at launch. Anyone else think they might cannibalize each others sales?

Yeah it'd be great if half those games were announced.

Tiktaalik

Looks pretty good to me. It's going to be interesting to see how all the sections of the scenario interact, as from the trailer it looks like the Leon sections have a lot more of an old school feel and Chris' Resident Evil: Hong Kong section looks super actiony. Didn't see any Leon/Chris coop but it seems like it's gotta be in there if coop was mentioned in the press release.

It's a trailer.

Trailers are meant to be exciting.

Action is exciting.

That doesn't mean the whole game is comprised of over-the-top action.

The very first trailer of RE5 was atmospheric and light on action. Trailers don't have to be all action to be exciting and effective.

SmithnCo

No. If you're not inserting the eagle medal into the eagle medal shaped hole (which apparently is hugely complex in comparison to the console shooter RE has apparently become), he wants no part of it.

Haha, that's what I was thinking. RE puzzles were never exactly brain-benders.

rekameohs

Banned
I think what really made the trailer seem bad for me was

I'm liking the look

I'm liking the atmosphere

I'm liking the action

and then I hear the spoken dialog and it's that disconnected "I'm just reading my lines for my paycheck and don't really understand what's happening" of that poor level that typically screams "Japanese game, lol".

To be fair, that's totally like Resident Evil.

What? I don't think that is the path at all that Capcom would have gone if not for the popularity and influence of Gears. The lazily added cover system of 5 is enough proof of that. They felt they had to because everyone else was. Same thing with co-op. I bet it wasn't even part of the original idea. The very very first trailer had no signs of co-op. In fact the early talk of 5 was very different.

I guess we think differently then, because I thought that co-op was going to be something they were going to do the very second I saw RE0.

The series almost always features two lead characters, it's not unreasonable at all to assume someone would go "Hey, what if you could be both of them at once?" The cover system I might give you, but other games have had cover systems and it's one aspect of an entire game.

Riposte

Depressing to see the amount of folks who seem to take more interest in the frustration of fans of the series than the actual trailer.

Let me put it simply; if I want to play a third person shooter, I have quite a variety of titles to choose from, made by devs very talented in the genre. Why the fuck do I have to see RE ride the cover-shooter wave for no reason other than Capcom is too scared to make a TPS without an established IP? Fuck that. Make a Resident Evil game or make a TPS with a new franchise. Of course, with Capcom's retarded, there's only one way for this to go: make a TPS and slap the Resident Evil name on it.

Lost Planet.

Resident Evil has a history of Third-Person-Shooting, especially of this kind. Early REs were proto TPSes.

(And somehow they are doing exactly what you are suggesting at the same time: Operation Raccoon City)

EDIT: Also I've done my part in appreciating the trailer by getting hyped. Now that all that is left to do is watching the fires in its wake.

Let me put it simply; if I want to play a third person shooter, I have quite a variety of titles to choose from, made by devs very talented in the genre. Why the fuck do I have to see RE ride the cover-shooter wave for no reason other than Capcom is too scared to make a TPS without an established IP? Fuck that. Make a Resident Evil game or make a TPS with a new franchise. Of course, with Capcom's retarded, there's only one way for this to go: make a TPS and slap the Resident Evil name on it.

Am I getting through to any of you? But hey, continue to express your mirth over the 'whiners' or whatever.
you know it wasn't the only way to go. as a fan of the series, i should imagine that you were really fucking happy today when you played the demo for Revelations.

Top Bottom