• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I killed it with the knife. You're a bunch of wusses.

you get a special cutscene for it too!

Seik

Banned
Capcom got me hyped, so I invested...damn!

Region-free pawa!
wPU14.png

I already have RE5...but this one was so cheap, and all the DLCs are directly on the disc, fuck coupons!
rTf89.png

I've already done REmake, 0, 2 and 3 last year. I want to finish those before RE6. I'll start the job the second I see those in my mailbox! :)

so i'm replaying re4 on professional and guess what: the game is still pretty fucking amazing

the crazy thing is that despite the low geometry and poor texture resolution and lazy port job, it still holds up beautifully in the HD port simply because the artistry and technical tricks they used were just out of this world. like that one room right after Ashley drives that giant bulldozer and where Saddler takes her back, with like dust motes floating in the air in all of the beams of light coming in through the windows. it looks filthy and musty and gorgeous, all thanks to a simple texture overlay on geometry-rendered beams of light. every area in the game looks great just because it's all insanely well put-together on an artistic level (great, atmospheric prebaked lighting, etc), even if every single thing that would be a physics object in a current-gen game is nailed to the floor.

oh and it's also still ridiculously fun and good. RE4 holds up better than plenty of current-gen games already.

Rinoa

That and they leave South America with Manuela who somehow survives despite still being infected with the Veronica virus. Leon even says at the end that the virus is still out there in the loose in the Amazon and that it will keep growing and then leaves. What a way to end a game with the entire Amazon getting infected by the T-virus.

As much as I like Manuela (cosplayed her lol) the ending possibility where she dies was very well done. It could easily have passed for a real ending.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLGiUnfvnlQ

the crazy thing is that despite the low geometry and poor texture resolution and lazy port job, it still holds up beautifully in the HD port simply because the artistry and technical tricks they used were just out of this world. like that one room right after Ashley drives that giant bulldozer and where Saddler takes her back, with like dust motes floating in the air in all of the beams of light coming in through the windows. it looks filthy and musty and gorgeous, all thanks to a simple texture overlay on geometry-rendered beams of light. every area in the game looks great just because it's all insanely well put-together on an artistic level (great, atmospheric prebaked lighting, etc), even if every single thing that would be a physics object in a current-gen game is nailed to the floor.

oh and it's also still ridiculously fun and good. RE4 holds up better than plenty of current-gen games already.

Damn.. never knew all that stuff about the ambiance. Stop making me want to replay this, I did over 10 times..

And its such a large game, too! The average first playthrough can easily pass 20 hours, when most gamers are happy when their action games reach 10. And those aren't filler hours either, or stretched out ideas, the game stays inventive and amazing all the way through to its jetski escape. Its a game developed by a bunch of talented people with waaaay too many good ideas for encounter design, level design, and combat mechanics.

remz

he's like Bennett from Commando

there's a past between the two characters and that's all you need to know

He is pretty much exactly like Bennett from Commando when you think about it, complete with knife duel in vaguely industrial area :lol

That exact thing struck me. Areas in the Castle and on the Island are so individually detailed and artistically realized that the low resolution textures can't keep them from looking gorgeous.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
whatigachupokbboifjaoamedoafiquthefuc!

I think I may have to get married after this comes out. SO much awesome in that trailer. LEON!

They better not screw him up like they did Jill and Chris.

tenz0r

sick of leon and chris. where is claire?

I miss Claire and Jill also, but this was just the first trailer. There still might be hope for previous characters to appear in Resident Evil 6.

Capcom may just be holding back on announcing certain characters until later on for other trailers, or perhaps to keep as a surprise for when people play the game.

If anything, I hope Capcom doesn't spoil the opportunity of making a ultimate Mercenaries mode, and feature every important Resident Evil character past and present in it. This could help satisfy some of the disappointment of fan favorite characters not appearing in RE6.

I also find it hard that Jill won't be in this game, mainly because she along with Chris helped form the BSAA, so they were pretty much the founders. It could be possible that if this is truly a prequel to Resident Evil 5, than Jill
may still be "dead", and under Wesker's control

tenz0r

Anyone else think a Resident Evil 6 demo will come package with Operation Raccoon City? Would be a great incentive, and also help generate more buzz for Resident Evil 6 before November.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was just browsing on Facebook, and visited the Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City Fan page (http://www.facebook.com/ResidentEvilORC), and saw this on one of their posts from Thursday when they officially announced Resident Evil 6:

Not sure what to think now? Perhaps the person at Capcom running their facebook page for Capcom confused and thought it was Ashely because of the voice and look, or they know more and accidentally revealed it when they were told not to mention it.

Hahahaha, man. Not saying YOU'RE thinking this, but...

"No, no! It's not Ashley! It can't be! Capcom are just confused!"

Haha, oh man. RE fans sometimes, I swear.

EDIT: What the hell @ edit. :lol

tenz0r

I was just browsing on Facebook, and visited the Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City Fan page (http://www.facebook.com/ResidentEvilORC), and saw this on one of their posts from Thursday when they officially announced Resident Evil 6:

Capcom released the Resident Evil 6 reveal trailer, confirming Leon and Chris, as well as a number of new characters.

Occurring 10 years after the events of the original game, Leon’s story is centered around Tall Oaks, a city similar to Raccoon City that succumbs to a T-virus outbreak. Chris’ story takes place in China, while a third storyline revolves around an unidentified new character and Resident Evil 4′s Ashley Graham.

Resident Evil 6 has been given a release date of November 20, 2012.

Not sure what to think now? Perhaps the person at Capcom running their facebook page for Capcom confused and thought it was Ashely because of the voice and look, or they know more and accidentally revealed it when they were told not to mention it.

tenz0r

Is bald male (the mercenary man with ashley) name revealed? Or can we speculate with Hunk?

Name hasn't be revealed yet, but I hope it's not Hunk. I see Hunk as more of a mysterious silent character, and hope they keep him that way. Also Ashley hasn't been confirmed yet, but it would make sense for her to be in this game if that is the same President that Leon worked for in Resident Evil 4.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Good lord, I really hate Resident Evil "fans" sometimes...
The funny thing is that a more horror-focused Resident Evil game is coming out in, like, a couple of weeks, but they all seem unaware of its existence.

Sadist

The funny thing is that a more horror-focused Resident Evil game is coming out in, like, a couple of weeks, but they all seem unaware of its existence.
Angry Fork says it's not a "real" Resident Evil. He'll wait for a real one on Vita.

Or he doesn't like the game because it's on a Nintendo platform.

That good ol' portable bias.

"LOL, I'LL WAIT FOR THE XBLA/PSN PORT"

It's on a Nintendo Handheld no less, lol last gen shovelware!! I am glad that Capcom doesn't listen to the fans. Many seem to forget in what a shitty state the series has been prior to the RE4 redesign. Even the developers themselves were sick of rehashing the same game over and over again.

And even when there is a honest effort to bring the horror feel of the old games together with the new gameplay mechanics, all those hypocrits cry foul because of the hardware choice.

As for RE6. The stuff they've shown looks amazing. The Resident Evil team is insanely talented when it comes to create believable settings and filling them with neat little details and character.
The 3 campaigns to me seem like the best idea. They can oreally focus on polishing each playstyle while providing both Action and Horror.

As much as people want to deny it, but RE has long outgrown it's PS1 roots and it's vastly better for it. Especially after playing Amy recently, it is obvious how far the genre has evolved since RE1 and that those old cheap scares simply won't work anymore.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Really? That's where you draw the line? Redesigning a character only seen in a blurry sketch at the end of a bonus mode in RE2? After everything Capcom's poor excuse for writers have done with the series up to this point?

gconsole

Alex sounds a lot more important to the story than Hunk. Don't know why somebody try to drag Hunk into this so much. He's just another mercernary who had his hand on the virus. Even the main character like Carlos or Billy has gone, so why Hunk will show up now?

Special J

Banned
Alex sounds a lot more important to the story than Hunk. Don't know why somebody try to drag Hunk into this so much. He's just another mercernary who had his hand on the virus. Even the main character like Carlos or Billy has gone, so why Hunk will show up now?

it could work they could have him have flash backs to the raccoon incident and say how he saw everything and how he could no longer work for umberlla so hes running away from them. kinda like mgs4 johnny

S1kkZ

i hope the guy that directed the cutscenes for re5 is back. the direction, mo-cap and camera work of re5's cutscenes was pretty great.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
We really need a full S.T.A.R.S. reunion in one of these games sometime. It's well overdue.

I always imagined the final battle in Resident Evil would consist of a multi-tier battle involving all the main protagonists of previous RE games against a gigantic, several-stories-tall mutated Wesker.

Ithil

Ever since maybe RE3, there's been a tendency to ditch the secondary character from a game after just that one game. Carlos, Billy, Steve (yeah I know he died, but that's not stopped anyone before), and probably Sheva, all absent. Ashley remains to be seen.

Only the early side characters seem to keep popping back up, and even then, it's sketchy.

chris0701

Anyone notice the texture of character and background have huge downgrade?
RE5 had some high-level texture fidelity on character and scene.

Yeah, but environments, lightning and scale seem to be much better. I guess its just a sign of the age of the current gen of consoles. I think PC and other next gen verstehenons will feature higher res textures.

-Winnie-

Yeah, at first I wasn't even sure if it was MT Framework, since it looked considerably worse than RE5 in terms of texture quality.

Top Bottom