• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

Mr_Zombie

And TriCell was introduced and killed off during the same flick, which was a bit weird.

Not exactly. TriCell was first introduced in Degeneration (the ending scene with wiping data out of the senator's computer and TriCell guys exploring the laboratory where the movie took place) and Excella was just CEO of African division of TriCell. So the corporation still exists and can still be important to the overall plot.

[Nintex];34457856 said:
At the end of Resident Evil 5 I believe there are some files about the Wesker 'brothers' and they list a bunch as 'dead' and two as alive, Albert and Alex.

oh God now I remember. Reminds me again why RE 5 butchered the storyline with absurd retcons.

It's not Resident Evil without retcons.

Why couldn't they just keep the story simple in that Albert Wesker was a corrupt federal agent who was working for Umbrella but was also power hungry. Then they changed it to where Albert Wesker was really a scientist who helped CREATE the T-viruse and then that turned into he's a genetically engineered super clone who worked as a scientist for Umbrella and then became a police officer, injected himself with the t-viruse, died, came back with super powers. Why couldn't Capcom just leave well enough alone?

Watch next there gonna say Ada is a super powered clone and Chris Redfield was given the power to take on monsters by a forest spirit.

What Capcom SHOULD do is make HD remakes of RE 1 and 2 and then just start over from scratch with a more grounded story contained to one or two areas.

Ithil

Why couldn't they just keep the story simple in that Albert Wesker was a corrupt federal agent who was working for Umbrella but was also power hungry. Then they changed it to where Albert Wesker was really a scientist who helped CREATE the T-viruse and then that turned into he's a genetically engineered super clone who worked as a scientist for Umbrella and then became a police officer, injected himself with the t-viruse, died, came back with super powers. Why couldn't Capcom just leave well enough alone?

Watch next there gonna say Ada is a super powered clone and Chris Redfield was given the power to take on monsters by a forest spirit.

Well actually he didn't inject himself with the T-Virus, he was given a different virus by his buddy William Birkin that gave him the superpowers, and also let him cheat death in RE1.

I'm not helping, am I?

def sim

The ridiculously convoluted, trashy story is what gives Resident Evil some charm. Even with all the nonsense, we still get it more or less. Keeping it simple will just make it boring.

What Capcom SHOULD do is make HD remakes of RE 1 and 2 and then just start over from scratch with a more grounded story contained to one or two areas.
REmake is already as good as it is gonna get. Current Capcom would probably do some dumb shit to it. They're free to attempt it with RE2 though.

Also, Chris receiving his boulder punching powers from a forest spirit would guarantee pre orders from me lol.

Mr_Zombie

Nerd post incoming.

oh God now I remember. Reminds me again why RE 5 butchered the storyline with absurd retcons.

Why couldn't they just keep the story simple in that Albert Wesker was a corrupt federal agent who was working for Umbrella but was also power hungry. Then they changed it to where Albert Wesker was really a scientist who helped CREATE the T-viruse and then that turned into he's a genetically engineered super clone who worked as a scientist for Umbrella and then became a police officer, injected himself with the t-viruse, died, came back with super powers.

First and for all, Wesker was always a scientist. There are slides in RE1 and on one of them you can see Wesker in withe coat with a bunch of other scientists.

Second of all, Wesker is not a clone. Never was. And Alex isn't Wesker's brother/sister/clone. They were all separate normal kids before Spencer had them kidnapped for the Project Wesker.

Third of all, RE5 cleaned the mess in the storyline regarding Wesker. Before RE5 Wesker's virus was the biggest plothole in the entire series: Birkin gave Wesker a virus that basically let the host not only stay human after death, but also gave him superhuman powers. And yet at the same time Birkin literally died for the work of his life - a virus that turns you into a constantly mutating meat blob with an additional eye and claws (and, later, some tentacles). Wesker, on the other hand, who now had a supervirus running through his veins, still were after the T-virus, G-virus, T-Veronica virus and Las Plagas. It made no sense at all (yeah, yeah, RE storyline is bs etc.).

RE5 cleaned that mess up by introducing "Sonnentreppe" flowers which extract (that was later developed into a Progenitor virus) helped Nidpaya tribe to choose a leader - only those worthy of being a leader (i.e. intelligent alpha males) were able to survive eating the extract from the flower and in the process gained great strength and intelligence. This is what Spencer used in the Project Wesker (which was: get kids from intelligent aristocratic families, let them grow up in well adjusted environment, feed them with the virus at some point in their life and, if they survive, they may gain super strength and intelligence thus creating a superior human race); that's how Wesker got his powers according to RE5. It's way more reasonable than the explanation that was introduced by Wesker's Report (Birkin had a random virus, superior to G, and handled it to Wesker, just in case).

Of course, the best case would be if Wesker just fucking stayed dead after RE1. But fans wanted Wesker to come back and Matrix was popular back then, so we get super Wesker in RECV :/.

RPGCrazied

So hyped. I bought RE 4 Wii edition today. I also got RE 5 gold edition on newegg, $19.99 free shipping. PS3 version. Heads up for people that want to grab it.

Sectus

Nerd post incoming.

First and for all, Wesker was always a scientist. There are slides in RE1 and on one of them you can see Wesker in withe coat with a bunch of other scientists.

Second of all, Wesker is not a clone. Never was. And Alex isn't Wesker's brother/sister/clone. They were all separate normal kids before Spencer had them kidnapped for the Project Wesker.

Third of all, RE5 cleaned the mess in the storyline regarding Wesker. Before RE5 Wesker's virus was the biggest plothole in the entire series: Birkin gave Wesker a virus that basically let the host not only stay human after death, but also gave him superhuman powers. And yet at the same time Birkin literally died for the work of his life - a virus that turns you into a constantly mutating meat blob with an additional eye and claws (and, later, some tentacles). Wesker, on the other hand, who now had a supervirus running through his veins, still were after the T-virus, G-virus, T-Veronica virus and Las Plagas. It made no sense at all (yeah, yeah, RE storyline is bs etc.).

RE5 cleaned that mess up by introducing "Sonnentreppe" flowers which extract (that was later developed into a Progenitor virus) helped Nidpaya tribe to choose a leader - only those worthy of being a leader (i.e. intelligent alpha males) were able to survive eating the extract from the flower and in the process gained great strength and intelligence. This is what Spencer used in the Project Wesker (which was: get kids from intelligent aristocratic families, let them grow up in well adjusted environment, feed them with the virus at some point in their life and, if they survive, they may gain super strength and intelligence thus creating a superior human race); that's how Wesker got his powers according to RE5. It's way more reasonable than the explanation that was introduced by Wesker's Report (Birkin had a random virus, superior to G, and handled it to Wesker, just in case).

Of course, the best case would be if Wesker just fucking stayed dead after RE1. But fans wanted Wesker to come back and Matrix was popular back then, so we get super Wesker in RECV :/.

This.

RE5 did a good job trying to make sense of the entire storyline. Although you have to read through the files in the game to get the full picture.

I bought RE5 so I could finish it. I rented it loooong time ago and took it back before I could finish it. Someones add me as a friend so we can do co op so I dont have to put up with stupid Sheeva getting killed all the time.

So hyped. I bought RE 4 Wii edition today. I also got RE 5 gold edition on newegg, $19.99 free shipping. PS3 version. Heads up for people that want to grab it.

Oooh, thanks. I got the Greatest Hits version at Best Buy. Hooray.

replaying RE4.

holy shit... the years have not been kind to me. I'm getting smoked in this game. :/
I need to get readjusted to the days where I really have to think to get through these waves of fucking ganados (or whatever they're called).

Having a partner in RE5 spoiled the shit out of me, lol.

SkylineRKR

I beat RE4 HD earlier and the rest it offered I completed yesterday, am now on my way to beat Biohazard 5 AE to reclaim Mercs Reunion and the 2 DLC chapters. I'm having a much harder time with 5 for sure. Level design and enemy placement is so. much. worse. Turrets, dynamite... fucking boat sections and then there is the chainsaw dude who can take a zillion shots. How I miss Mega Dr Salvador! This is even on Easy as I'm sick of the game (beat vanilla and AE about twice before). I'm looking forward to the licker hideout, and its randomness. This game is built around farming the shit out of stages to power up your arsenal for an easy time.

Co-op isn't everything. I had some doofus who refused to leave but kept fighting the chainsaw dude in 3-3 I think and chainsaw dude somehow managed to kill Josh.. wtf. But its still better than the retarded AI.

Can't wait to rinse Mercs Reunion. Best part of RE5.

News Bot

Banned

There was no retcon, and the "Wesker Children" aren't related. There aren't actually very many retcons or plot holes in the series. Many are the result of piss poor localization, or simply lack of exposition in the games themselves. CAPCOM tend to dump all of their remaining story information that doesn't make it into the script, into supplemental books.

Wesker was always most likely going to end up surviving the events of BH1, as Mikami stated mere months after the game came out that his survival was ambiguous (like much of the first game's storyline). They simply decided to change the circumstances of his survival to fit with the new "Progenitor Virus" plot arc. Superhumans were going to be introduced much sooner in the series. Wesker's appearance in CV was originally a foreshadowing of BH4, which was to feature Spencer, Tony (the main playable character) and "Paul" with the same abilities. Even the artwork at the time displays them with Wesker's red eyes. BH0 explained what the Progenitor Virus was, while BH4 would have explained what it's true abilities were. Wesker's Report merely explained how Wesker obtained the virus, although because it didn't mention the fact that it was unstable and imperfect (which wasn't done until Umbrella Chronicles), most people seem to believe that it was superior to the G-Virus and whatnot.

Problem was, due to the mess that was BH4's development, we didn't actually get the explanation on Progenitor until BH5. Even the whole "ancient tribe" stuff is directly taken from that first version of BH4 which became Devil May Cry.

There was no retcon, and the "Wesker Children" aren't related. There aren't actually very many retcons or plot holes in the series. Many are the result of piss poor localization, or simply lack of exposition in the games themselves. CAPCOM tend to dump all of their remaining story information that doesn't make it into the script, into supplemental books.

Wesker was always most likely going to end up surviving the events of BH1, as Mikami stated mere months after the game came out that his survival was ambiguous (like much of the first game's storyline). They simply decided to change the circumstances of his survival to fit with the new "Progenitor Virus" plot arc. Superhumans were going to be introduced much sooner in the series. Wesker's appearance in CV was originally a foreshadowing of BH4, which was to feature Spencer, Tony (the main playable character) and "Paul" with the same abilities. Even the artwork at the time displays them with Wesker's red eyes. BH0 explained what the Progenitor Virus was, while BH4 would have explained what it's true abilities were. Wesker's Report merely explained how Wesker obtained the virus, although because it didn't mention the fact that it was unstable and imperfect (which wasn't done until Umbrella Chronicles), most people seem to believe that it was superior to the G-Virus and whatnot.

Problem was, due to the mess that was BH4's development, we didn't actually get the explanation on Progenitor until BH5. Even the whole "ancient tribe" stuff is directly taken from that first version of BH4 which became Devil May Cry.
Thank you! That was all really informative. Where did you hear this stuff?

cvxfreak

Thank you! That was all really informative. Where did you hear this stuff?

There is tons of material out there written in Japanese regarding the development history of the RE series. Most of this is in the form of magazine interviews or special books, but also sometimes video content as well. Most of this never gets translated, and a lot of what does get translated is translated incorrectly (like the Resident Evil Archives book or the games themselves).

For example, to the average Japanese gamer, there is no debate as to what the difference between the Mother Virus and Progenitor Virus are because they have the same name in Japanese. But in English, because Capcom's translators weren't checking each other's work, the different names exist and leave Western audiences wondering. Multiply this by about 500 and you have perhaps 80% of the major contradictions in the RE series.

She sounds exactly the same. I don't know how you can't hear it.

"I won't let anything happen to you!" That's clearly her.

Leon and the president are involved; why wouldn't the president's daughter, who was a major character in RE4, be in the game?

After hearing her as that one girl from Jimy Newtron and Sandy Cheeks from Spongebob for god knows how many years, you start to realize that her VA doesn't have a lot of range.

It is.

Look at the trailer again.

Having played through RE4 more than a dozen times, I can say with certainty that the voice we hear is definitely the voice actress that did Ashley. Unmistakeable.

Whether she is voicing a different character remains to be seen.

So you're saying it's Ashley's clone. Noted.

It's the same VA...

Mind if I bookmark this to rub it in when you're proven wrong?

Rahxephon91
I have bad hearing

Yeah, I don't see how people can argue that she doesn't sound like Ashley.

It just sounds exactly like her.

Based on what? The character who sounds exactly like Ashley and has a similar face plus appears in a trailer featuring a Zombie President (presumably her father). It's Ashely, dude.

RE5 didn't even let you fight the regular Gigante on foot. Turret battle for sure.

I've been playing RE 4 today and I know when I hear Ashley man. No joke.

You're crazy. That is her VA, completely.

Well I guess she could be lying.
https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/carolyntweet
http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-...vent-done-any-voice-work-for-resident-evil-6/

Yeah, watching the trailer again and reading through all the available info and I'm still not sold on the game.

I'm happy they've updated the mechanics and it appears there might be some melee weapons (Leon appears to use an axe to take down a zombie in the trailer), but I'm disappointed all story campaigns will be co-op. :(

MechaX

While I have no problem admitting I was wrong, I'm actually more surprised you went through the trouble of collecting all of those posts, especially when more people were just like "what the fuck ever Capcom" after the conflicting reports of whether or not its Ashley or Sherry.

I have so little.

I also don't think this should surprise you

Sadist

While I have no problem admitting I was wrong, I'm actually more surprised you went through the trouble of collecting all of those posts, especially when more people were just like "what the fuck ever Capcom" after the conflicting reports of whether or not its Ashley or Sherry.

Riposte

The only thing they wrong in RE5's story is have Wesker be a "Matrix" badass in cutscenes and a stupid boss fight in-game.

The only thing they wrong in RE5's story is have Wesker be a "Matrix" badass in cutscenes and a stupid boss fight in-game.
His boss fights always looked very awkward. With this style of gameplay, I'm not sure human boss fights are the best choice. They just look very silly.

ArjanN

Ok, probably not in it then.

Of course, an other explanation would be Capcom switching voice-actors...

His boss fights always looked very awkward. With this style of gameplay, I'm not sure human boss fights are the best choice. They just look very silly.

Yeah, the gameplay doesn't really support fighting a boss like Wesker is in the cutscenes. In RE5 you're still a pretty slow moving turret. It's why the boss fights in Resident Evil were never very interesting mechanically really. The disconnect in RE5 was pretty silly though. The way Wesker moved in the cutscenes, there was no reason he wouldn't be able to dash up to you and break your neck instantly, before you'd even have time to react.

Mr_Zombie

Eh, Krauser in RE4 wasn't so bad.

He wasn't bad if you were using a knife, because the battle was designed around knife, just like Wesker's battles are designed around QTE (the easiest and fastest way to beat his ass). If you're trying fighting them with firearms though, both Krauser and Wesker are just annoying.

Sectus

Helena = hawt
http://fast1.onesite.com/capcom-uni...0f9917d9a7b7e6c3652f0c8740619f50.jpg?v=161100

The Wesker boss fights are actually my favourite in the series. I just love how smoothly he moves, and how he randomly taunts you or fixes his hair, and all the varied rare attacks he can do. I'm a bit biased as I'm really tired of the traditional "avoid specific attacks in specific ways, periodically shoot like crazy on weak spot" which most boss fights in games are. I thought the boss fights against Jill and Wesker was really really unique.

Dacon

Banned

I was much more irritated by the on rails shooting segment and the absolutely terrible El Gigante boss fight.

ESPECIALLY on professional.

Christ.

Eh, Krauser in RE4 wasn't so bad.

I can't think of a bad boss fight in RE4. RE5's bosses definitely got butchered. The Jill/Wesker fights are horrendous, and there are way too many boss fights (like what - three/four?) where there is a giant screen filling boss sitting off to the side of the stage (where you cannot go to) and you shoot his/her orange weak points. The only boss fight like that in RE4 was Salazar - I guess they figured that type of fight worked best in co-op (because the boss has minimal positional relation advantage to a player and basically just spams pattern AOE attacks at you).

Honestly the only decent bosses in RE5 were probably like... the bat boss thing, the boss you use the flamethrower on, and boss you use the incinerator on. Even then all of those are fairly boilerplate bosses.

So uh, random question.

I am going to play through the first three RE games. Are there big enough differences between the PS1 versions of RE1-3 and the DC/GCN versions where I would need to play all versions to get the most out of them? I want to play the PS1 versions because those were the originals, but I basically want to know if the DC/GCN ones are even worth it if I've played the original versions.

I was much more irritated by the on rails shooting segment and the absolutely terrible El Gigante boss fight.

ESPECIALLY on professional.

Christ.

Hardest part of professional for me and my brother. We actually had to switch our control schemes for that fight because the QTEs were different (and a bit easier for us) depending on what scheme you used.

Dacon

Banned
Hardest part of professional for me and my brother. We actually had to switch our control schemes for that fight because the QTEs were different (and a bit easier for us) depending on what scheme you used.

Yeah, it was much the same for my brother and I. It completely drained the fun we were having with Pro out of the game.

I don't know who thought the EL Gigante fight was a good idea but they absolutely ruined a good opportunity for an awesome boss fight.

Vrakanox

Agreed. I liked him best before the super powers nonsense. He was more human. More believable.

So uh, random question.

I am going to play through the first three RE games. Are there big enough differences between the PS1 versions of RE1-3 and the DC/GCN versions where I would need to play all versions to get the most out of them? I want to play the PS1 versions because those were the originals, but I basically want to know if the DC/GCN ones are even worth it if I've played the original versions.

The Saturn version of RE1 has an extra mode (basically a Mercenaries precursor) that isn't in any of the PS1 versions, but the later PS1 versions have their own exclusive content ("arrange" mode). You might want to know that the version of RE1 that you can get on PS1 doesn't have the same soundtrack as the original, and that the new one is very bad, so if you're wary of that, you should look for the Director's Cut on Amazon or eBay or something (just make sure it's not the Dual Shock edition).

RE2 has a little bit of extra content on DC (and I think PC), but it's nothing major. You wouldn't miss out on much by getting the PSN version.

None of the RE3 ports have any cool exclusive content, so just go with whatever is easiest to get.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, it was much the same for my brother and I. It completely drained the fun we were having with Pro out of the game.

I don't know who thought the EL Gigante fight was a good idea but they absolutely ruined a good opportunity for an awesome boss fight.

That part was made stupid hard if you had an actual co-op partner. One case where the AI actually is really helpful.

Professional in general was my biggest gripe in RE5. It was built around the fact that your inventory was always constantly with you, and was made as if you already had maxed everything and had infinite ammo.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
The Saturn version of RE1 has an extra mode (basically a Mercenaries precursor) that isn't in any of the PS1 versions, but the later PS1 versions have their own exclusive content ("arrange" mode). You might want to know that the version of RE1 that you can get on PS1 doesn't have the same soundtrack as the original, and that the new one is very bad, so if you're wary of that, you should look for the Director's Cut on Amazon or eBay or something (just make sure it's not the Dual Shock edition).

RE2 has a little bit of extra content on DC (and I think PC), but it's nothing major. You wouldn't miss out on much by getting the PSN version.

None of the RE3 ports have any cool exclusive content, so just go with whatever is easiest to get.

Haha oh man that theme makes me laugh everytime. The original's theme is actually one of the scarier things I've heard.

Mr_Zombie

You might want to know that the version of RE1 that you can get on PS1 doesn't have the same soundtrack as the original, and that the new one is very bad, so if you're wary of that, you should look for the Director's Cut on Amazon or eBay or something (just make sure it's not the Dual Shock edition).

I hate the remixed soundtrack in DS edition. It's terrible. :/ How could they butcher the original OST (which was perfect) is beyond me.

IIRC both DC and PC version have two new costumes for Jill (nothing special though); also, in both those versions all costumes are unlocked from the start whereas in PS1 version you have to collect them.

rCIZZLE

I can never have enough RE. 5 wasnt great but I had a ton of fun cooping it. Hopefully they use the constructive criticism to bring it back to the high standard I expect from the series.

Top Bottom