• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

tenz0r

"Set in 2013, 10 years after the Raccoon City incident" <- that doesn't sound right..?

It doesn't since the Raccoon City incident occurred in 1998. I decided to research the Resident Evil timeline, and got this.

July 1998 - Resident Evil 1/Resident Evil Zero
The Mansion Incident

August 1998
Chris Redfield learns of the G-Virus and heads to Europe to investigate Umbrella. By doing this he avoids being in the G-Virus outbreak that is about to occur on Raccoon City, and also helps setup Code Veronica when Claire goes to look for him.

September 1998 - Resident Evil 3 Pt.1 / Resident Evil 2
The Raccoon City Incident occurs

October 1998 - Resident Evil 3 Pt. 2
Raccoon City is destroyed with a missile strike

December 1998 - Resident Evil Code Veronica
Claire heads to Europe to find her brother

2004 - Resident Evil 4
The President's daughter is kidnapped and Leon is sent to find her

2005 - Resident Evil Revelations
Jill Valentine and her partner are sent to investigate Chris's last known whereabouts aboard a ship known as the Zenobia

2006 - Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares DLC
This is when Jill and Chris learn of Wesker's whereabouts and go to confront him.

2009 - Resident Evil 5
Chris is sent to Africa to investigate the sale of bio-weapons in connection with a man named Ricardo Irving

So, according to the Resident Evil 6 synopsis if it has been 10 years since the Raccoon City incident that would put RE6's timeline in 2008 and not 2013. 2008 is exactly one year before Resident Evil 5. This could also explain why Chris does not have Jill at his side when she is clearly a major BSAA agent.

Here is something interesting I dug up that could still indicate this could be a prequel still

In the trailer we hear Chris's partner saying something about Chris's personal vendetta (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sS_bGpe9qE8#t=158s) not getting them anywhere.

Also notice how angry Chris was when he found out some of his squad mates were killed in the trailer?

This is taken from Chris's story file in Resident Evil 5, after the Lost in Nightmare DLC story:

After three months of searching with no success, Jill Valentine was officially declared dead by the BSAA.

No one knows what promises Chris made in front of Jill's empty grave, but following her loss, he redoubled his efforts to eradicate all bio-organic weapons wherever they may be. Initially stationed at BSAA's North American Branch, his investigations soon took him around the world. He became involved in so many operations that he soon had more missions to his name than any other BSAA member.

So following "Jill's death" he became more motivated and aggressive at eliminating all bio-organic weapons. Which would explain his aggression and personal vendetta that his partner in the RE6 trailer was talking about.

Then we have the part where "his investigations soon took him around the world" which would mean China in Resident Evil 6, and Africa in Resident Evil 5. Only China may have come first before Africa.

I hope Capcom didn't fuck up the timeline. It won't make or break the game, but it's something you would think they would get right since they got the timeline right on all their other games.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm thinking Chris' lieutenant will be his partner. :)

It's impossible....can't unsee it. It's game over, man. Game over.

C4egV.png

Davey Cakes

So this game takes place before RE5?

Out of "2013" and "10 years after Raccoon City" which one is the error? I'd really like to know this.

cvxfreak

Hopefully this will put all the speculation to rest. It's 2013.

In Japanese, Capcom has been using the following term: &#12521;&#12463;&#12540;&#12531;&#12471;&#12486;&#12451;&#12391;&#12398;&#20107;&#20214;&#12363;&#12425;&#21313;&#25968;&#24180;&#24460;

The most exact translation of the above sentence is "Ten-some years since the Raccoon City Incident." It's not exactly 10 years. It's 10 years, plus a few extra. Apparently though, a few extra amounts to 4-5 extra years according to Capcom logic. I don't know why they're not just saying 15 years instead of 10, but they're not saying exactly 10 years either.

Neiteio

So this game takes place before RE5?

Out of "2013" and "10 years after Raccoon City" which one is the error? I'd really like to know this.
Yeah, this is irking me too. And I don't think the Leon and Chris campaigns take place at different times. Didn't one of the PR say they're going on simultaneously?

At any rate, the whole bit in the trailer with Chris and his vendetta doesn't make much sense in the context of him directing his rage toward "that bitch," which would suggest a female antagonist -- not Wesker, the man who "killed" Jill.

Hopefully this will put all the speculation to rest. It's 2013.

In Japanese, Capcom has been using the following term: &#12521;&#12463;&#12540;&#12531;&#12471;&#12486;&#12451;&#12391;&#12398;&#20107;&#20214;&#12363;&#12425;&#21313;&#25968;&#24180;&#24460;

The most exact translation of the above sentence is "Ten-some years since the Raccoon City Incident." It's not exactly 10 years. It's 10 years, plus a few extra. Apparently though, a few extra amounts to 4-5 extra years according to Capcom logic. I don't know why they're not just saying 15 years instead of 10, but they're not saying exactly 10 years either.
I love you CVX.

Davey Cakes

Okay. Nice to have that cleared up.

It's really weird to think of how far down the line this game is. 15 years since the original incident seems like such a long time. Hell, 9 years since RE4 seems like a lot. Hell, 8 years from Revelations and 4 years from RE5 seems like a lot.

I really wonder how far Capcom is going to take this and how much they're going to allow characters to age before pulling the plug on the current timeline or dedicating games to other characters besides the "core 4" (Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire).

Beth Cyra

It's really weird to think of how far down the line this game is. 15 years since the original incident seems like such a long time. Hell, 9 years since RE4 seems like a lot. Hell, 8 years from Revelations and 4 years from RE5 seems like a lot.

I really wonder how far Capcom is going to take this and how much they're going to allow characters to age before pulling the plug on the current timeline or dedicating games to other characters besides the "core 4" (Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire).

At first I was thinking I would like to see them get old enough to stop, but then I actually decided that I wouldn't.

It would be very cool if at the end Chris doesn't make it out and dies at the end of RE6 leaving the new guy to take over.

Hell both Leon and Chris buying the farm at the end would be amazing.

Neiteio

I can't help but wonder if the younger sidekicks are being groomed as possible lead successors. Like that Ryan Seacrest guy has sort of that "everyman" appeal Chris has. Heroic enough, but with a soft side.

Rinoa

I'm curious about this too, since having old people as leading characters is still not widely accepted.

I can't help but wonder if the younger sidekicks are being groomed as possible lead successors. Like that Ryan Seacrest guy has sort of that "everyman" appeal Chris has. Heroic enough, but with a soft side.

He does have a "Jeremy Renner to Chris's Tom Cruise" feel about him.

I'm still kinda pissed they brought Jill back. I loved that reveal in the run-up to RE5. Resident Evil probably has one of the biggest casts of characters in video games, we could stand to lose a few provided they went out in memorable ways.

Whats wrong with having a sliding timeline? Does it really matter if Raccoon City was in 1996? The sequence of events is important but the year is not.

Beth Cyra

Agreed.

Chris is with out doubt my fav RE character, but he has fought long and hard so give him an awesome send off and I would be totally for Chris dying.

Grisby

I'm still kinda pissed they brought Jill back. I loved that reveal in the run-up to RE5. Resident Evil probably has one of the biggest casts of characters in video games, we could stand to lose a few provided they went out in memorable ways.
Definitely. They should start with Leon.

daffy

Banned
Too bad Chris would be in a tube somewhere without Sheva existing. Remember all the pep talks he needed? He was basically a cold shell of a man. Jell-o flowing through his exaggerated veins.

Slappers Only

I just showed this trailer to my boss yesterday, and yeah, can't feel any more satisfied.

I wish I could high-five this trailer with my soul.

MCD

RE7 should be all new, new story, new characters, new setting just so we can end this "BUT WHERE IS MAI CLAIRE" or whatever.

Fry

RE7 should be all new, new story, new characters, new setting just so we can end this "BUT WHERE IS MAI CLAIRE" or whatever.

No way, man. RE's characters may be the best thing about the franchise.

That got me thinking: what other franchise has better characters? I can't think of any.

Killing off Chris? No thanks. Y'all leave my favorite RE character alone. (Plus, if this is before RE5, then it wouldn't happen anyway.)

Let's put Leon in the line of fire instead and see how people react, he can even say one of his douchey catchphrases right before suplexing a zombie off a cliff.

Killing off any of the core 4 characters will just be met with backlash and they'll just revive them again in the next game. I don't want to go through 6+ games with a set of characters just to have them die at the end.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would only be okay with them killing off Leon if it was all to setup an ending scene where he walks up out of nowhere with his RE4 jacket in his finger, say "What'd I miss?", and then have the credits roll.

Beth Cyra

Killing off Chris? No thanks. Y'all leave my favorite RE character alone. (Plus, if this is before RE5, then it wouldn't happen anyway.)

Let's put Leon in the line of fire instead and see how people react, he can even say one of his douchey catchphrases right before suplexing a zombie off a cliff.

Killing off any of the core 4 characters will just be met with backlash and they'll just revive them again in the next game. I don't want to go through 6+ games with a set of characters just to have them die at the end.

Thing is, I want Chris to die specifically because he is my favorite character.

The thing is Chris is popular but he isn't on the level of Leon. Outside of Wesker no one is, so they aren't going to put Leon on the chopping block. However Chris is popular enough that they could use it and make a large event because he is popular enough to handle it and have it carry weight with in the world.

You clearly have a thing for men with the bodies of shaved gorilla's it seems.

What would ever give you that idea... >_>

I would only be okay with them killing off Leon if it was all to setup an ending scene where he walks up out of nowhere with his RE4 jacket in his finger, say "What'd I miss?", and then have the credits roll.

Thing is, I want Chris to die specifically because he is my favorite character.

The thing is Chris is popular but he isn't on the level of Leon. Outside of Wesker no one is, so they aren't going to put Leon on the chopping block. However Chris is popular enough that they could use it and make a large event because he is popular enough to handle it and have it carry weight with in the world.

If Capcom really wanted to be bold, they should kill off Leon, the supposed "most popular" character. The meltdowns would never end.

I personally wouldn't wish for anyone to die, unless the story truly calls for it. Killing off characters just so they can have an "epic" scene or raise the stakes is just cheap storytelling IMO. (And more than likely, it wouldn't stick. Video games and comic books are very similar in that fashion.)

If it actually adds to the story, and the characters' death can be used effectively then they should go for it.
(With Leon...)
But it's easy to say we should bump off character X, Y, or Z now, but dealing with the after math of losing such iconic characters is something else entirely.

Top Bottom