• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

So it looks to me like 3 playable characters each has an A.I character...unless you play coop which makes six playable characters.

All 3 sections look like different type of gameplay. Leon section is classic RE, Old School survival horror, old school zombie. Will be like RE2 mixed with RE4.

Chris's section is to appeal to the newer generation, RE5, COD, it is more action oriented gameplay. Run, cover and gun it will be like RE5.

The Third guy (who people think is Hunk) will be more chase, quick time, coop and puzzle oriented. His gameplay will be the new kid on the block.

Either way I think six looks awesome. Oh and since were chiming in on 5.. I thought it was a disappointing for Resident Evil however fun if you played it with a friend split screen.

Wasnt the general consensus that tid guy was Alex Wesker?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
why cant a resident evil game be like the originals, i know many hated nemesis but my god i loved that game for the insane presence nemesis gave you. he would come at any time (similair to tyrant i guess) but seemed alot harder to me.

i loved the gunpowder mixing too.

Riposte

RE6 looks like what I imagined the sequel to RE4 would be back in the day. The lighting, the colors, the scale and sense of global crisis... It all just clicks, perfectly.

One thing, though: Are we looking at three separate campaigns here, with overlapping plot points but each is selected and played separately? Or maybe play one, beat it, are prompted to play another, and so on, and then the overall narrative continues? Or maybe it's like Revelatons where it trades off back and forth between the different characters? I recall some PR (or maybe IGN?) saying you could start with whichever of the three narratives you wish, making it seem more campaign-oriented, perhaps?

I think it is confirmed that there will be three campaigns you can play in any order and at the same time. I think I heard there will also be a fourth one after you've completed at all three where you play as Ada.

That's kinda rude

But only kinda.

Neiteio

I think it is confirmed that there will be three campaigns you can play in any order and at the same time. I think I heard there will also be a fourth one after you've completed at all three where you play as Ada.
Ah, OK. This could be quite interesting indeed.

I know everyone here is excited about the Leon campaign, but is anyone equally (or more) excited to dig into the Chris campaign? I'm getting some awesome CLOVERFIELD vibes from the military men going against the flow of fleeing citizens -- to their doom, basically -- as well as the shot where Chris is on the helicopter watching skyscrapers erupt into flames, lighting up the night skies. I don't get a COD vibes from that, I get a "Let's go kill the Cloverfield monster" vibe, which is thrilling and makes my blood run a bit cold remembering how the movie made my imagination run wild at points.

As for the third playable character, I wonder how he will control. Maybe his combat is like Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, only third-person over-the-shoulder? He seemed to flow seamlessly between targets. It looks fun as hell, whatever it is. I'm ready for some Eastern Europe parkour, as well.

To be honest the most fun story looks like the new guy's, he's probably going to get the corniest dialogue and daft set-pieces. Does he even shoot? :lol

T-Virus: Zombies/Crimson Heads/Tyrants I guess. Nemesis is based on this too, to an extent
G-Virus: Zombies too, plus weird mutations like William Birkin
Plagas: Weird half-dead guys. Can be controlled too, like Krauser and Saddler did, it seems?
Oroboros: Different version of Wesker's Progenitor virus.

Actually Nemesis is based off the "Nemesis Parasite" that Umbrella genetically engineered.

Nope. Here's the breakdown guys.

G-Virus: Lisa Trevor (she's technically the first carrier), William Birkin, Sherry Birkin, Ben and Chief Irons. That's it.

T-Veronica Virus: Steve, Alexia Ashford, and Nosferatu (Alexia and Alfreds father)

Nemesis Parasite: Lisa Trevor, Nemesis

Los Plagas: Everything in RE4, almost everything in RE5 save for enemies explicitly infected with Urobourous, which are...

Urobourous: Excella, Wesker, two other Uroubourous bosses earlier in the game (masses of tentacles.) Reapers.

T-Virus: Literally everything else. Nemesis is a special variant of the standard Tyrant model, where they gave the T-103 model the Nemesis parasite in order to make it more intelligent and more apt at following complex orders such as the elimination of STARS.

Haunted

Was that based on a cooler word like comrade or something in Japanese? That's what I figured. "Partner" doesn't mean anything special unless we are talking about romance and even then it is a pretty tame way to say "lover".

"I thought she was his partner!" or w/e it was is probably one of the worst lines in the game, and this is coming from a person who loved "Complete. Global. etc."
仲間 - nakama

Neiteio

wtf is Alex Wesker? I have played through all of the main RE games several times and never heard of him. Sounds like a fan fiction creation
If I recall correctly, there were numerous allusions in various documents you could find in RE5 (or was it Lost in Nightmares?) where an Alex Wesker is mentioned. Basically, there was something like six or seven Wesker siblings (clones, really) who were all raised like gifted children and imbued with superpowers via their special viruses. Albert went rogue and is the Wesker we all know and love (now smelted in a volcano somewhere in the Indian Ocean). The other kids, we haven't seen them yet, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility one of them was an alright guy who just happened to be using his powers to work as a mercenary.

[Nintex]

wtf is Alex Wesker? I have played through all of the main RE games several times and never heard of him. Sounds like a fan fiction creation

At the end of Resident Evil 5 I believe there are some files about the Wesker 'brothers' and they list a bunch as 'dead' and two as alive, Albert and Alex.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I watched the trailer a few hundred times. It's alright.

Fucking love it.

You and me both bro, I just can't get enough of it.

tenz0r

Ah, OK. This could be quite interesting indeed.

I know everyone here is excited about the Leon campaign, but is anyone equally (or more) excited to dig into the Chris campaign? I'm getting some awesome CLOVERFIELD vibes from the military men going against the flow of fleeing citizens -- to their doom, basically -- as well as the shot where Chris is on the helicopter watching skyscrapers erupt into flames, lighting up the night skies. I don't get a COD vibes from that, I get a "Let's go kill the Cloverfield monster" vibe, which is thrilling and makes my blood run a bit cold remembering how the movie made my imagination run wild at points.

As for the third playable character, I wonder how he will control. Maybe his combat is like Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, only third-person over-the-shoulder? He seemed to flow seamlessly between targets. It looks fun as hell, whatever it is. I'm ready for some Eastern Europe parkour, as well.
I honestly had a Rainbow Six Vegas vibe in terms of the colors of the environment, and similar gameplay mechanisims and situations it displayed

-Both games had their team members rappel down from the helicopter to enter the hostile area

-The China lights and building shots almost look like a shot of Las Vegas from the trailer

- Chris is with a squad and they breach a door like the Rainbow Six squad

- Both are fighting off a terrorism attack in the city with people in danger and running around

-There is a cover system in both games, and you see Chris shooting behind cover at what seems to be normal humans wearing masks who are probably responsible for the outbreak. (Please don't be zombies/infected shooting guns)

Sectus

RE5 is better with friends, but... staring at walls is better with friends too. In terms of actually being a "coop game" RE5 is not that great. They put more effort than the usual affair but the amount of instances that actually involve and require real cooperation can probably be counted on one hand. I really think that halfway during development it got switched to being a coop game, so maybe a game made fully in that mindset would be better?

I kind of wanted to try the "alone in africa mod" for RE5 to see how that works out. Although it must be awkward during the part where one person has to carry a light around or a couple of the bosses.

edit: Although in reality, most "coop" shooters barely ever require any real cooperation.

I actually prefer it when there's no forced coop mechanics. They tend to be extremely limiting, and in some cases make you feel like you're playing a singleplayer game. For instance, in Army of Two you can use pick up a shield with your partner "locking" to your movement. And what is the practical result? You have one player moving without being able to shoot, with the other player shooting without being able to move.

I find it more fun and dynamic with 2 players put in a big combat scenario and how you cooperate is up to you. I think RE5 did a good job implementing coop with all the little things they considered: you always see your partner's health, you know what items they pick up, you can check on their inventory, you can request items to be swapped, you can give them items at any time, I really like the context sensitive coop button for complementing on their actions and the simple inbuilt communication system worked surprisingly well. It helped that the netcode was insanely good as well.

Neiteio

See, thing is I have a hard time feeling joy playing CoD and the like because they just feel imaginatively bankrupt and morally empty, emulating shit that's happening in the real world right now, aka killing humans in war. But killing monsters with the tongue-in-cheekiness of RE? I love it. A threat of monsters and the act of fighting them is just wildly appealing to me when done with RE's particular brand of "heightened reality," I guess you would call it. So I'm stoked for all three of these campaigns, Chris' campaign probably being the one I'm most itching to grab a gamepad and actually play.

Neiteio

Hey, wait, what's this? Apparently IGN confirmed that blonde chick is Sherry Birkin, not Ashley, and the multi-eyed monster is called the Javo, and Leon's partner is named Helena Harper?

Durante

It's probably not the most popular opinion around here, but I'd prefer it if the main campaign was entirely playable in co-op again. Separate co-op campaigns usually suck, and I had more fun playing RE5 in coop than RE4 alone.

仲間 - nakama
Lol, now I have an inexplicable urge to catch up on One Piece.

Mr_Zombie

Hey, wait, what's this? Apparently IGN confirmed that blonde chick is Sherry Birkin, not Ashley, and the multi-eyed monster is called the Javo, and Leon's partner is named Helena Harper?

"Javo" and "Helena Harper" comes from yesterdays BH6 presentation in Japan.
That the girl is Sherry and not Ashley is, right now, only confirmed by IGN's "secret informer".

Tain

Kinda feels weird to say, but I trust Japanese developers more with cover mechanics than I do Western ones. Trailer looked great.

Pooya

ibwUaekV09UjWh.JPG

coop info on overview tab
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/RESIDENT-EVIL-6/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80243430819

I actually prefer it when there's no forced coop mechanics. They tend to be extremely limiting, and in some cases make you feel like you're playing a singleplayer game. For instance, in Army of Two you can use pick up a shield with your partner "locking" to your movement. And what is the practical result? You have one player moving without being able to shoot, with the other player shooting without being able to move.

I find it more fun and dynamic with 2 players put in a big combat scenario and how you cooperate is up to you. I think RE5 did a good job implementing coop with all the little things they considered: you always see your partner's health, you know what items they pick up, you can check on their inventory, you can request items to be swapped, you can give them items at any time, I really like the context sensitive coop button for complementing on their actions and the simple inbuilt communication system worked surprisingly well. It helped that the netcode was insanely good as well.

A coop game with no coop mechanics or coop scenario design is basically a watered down SP game. One of the reason why RE4's scenario/level design/bosses/everything were better was because they were designed around knowing that it is one player. A lot of the levels (and the majority of the bosses) in RE4 would have to be redesigned heavily to work in coop (and would ultimately be worse), but -almost- nothing in RE5 needs to be redesigned to work as an SP game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to update the OP and change the title, and was wondering if there was anything missing here.

I apologize for the images, but I do it in case tweets get deleted later.

Edit: Unless people think we have enough for a new thread?

---

Ashley Confirmed:

re6-13zxzi.png

Source: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=222592004491204&set=a.126234657460273.33735.102455583171514 [Via Friedreich]

In development for two years:

re6-2foybm.png

A demo is coming eventually:

re6-320bco.png

Co-op is seen in the trailer:

re6-4pqx31.png

You can move/shoot and there's a cover system.

re6-5lrbuc.png

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/RE_Games

CVX's Premium Party Information:

Just rewatched the broadcast and no one said anything about the game's single player or co-op system.

Only new thing I can provide that I didn't tweet was the 150+ person dev team size. Other tidbits like "people may not be able to tell what is gameplay and what is a cutscene" go without saying.

(I'm reasonably fluent in Japanese so I wouldn't miss something crucial like this)

GvhCT.png

lZ3M8.png

AndriaSang Extra Note:

AndriaSang said:
RE6 has the largest staff count in series history, said Hirabayashi. He gave a specific figure of around 150 people, but noted that when you add in overseas staff and other contributing parties, it comes to over 600.
Source: http://andriasang.com/comzps/re6_anniversary_details/

miladesn Xbox.com Update:

re6-6owyj5.png

re6-7emyyz.png

coop info on overview tab
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/RESIDENT-EVIL-6/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80243430819

Edit:

After talking to Kagari I'm just going to go with a new thread.

FartOfWar

Banned
I did play it a little at a friends once, so it's not true to say I've never played it, but I meant I didn't choose to stop playing it like RE5. And yeah, it seems very cool, and it looked amazing, so I do want to go back to it at some point. I've really been hoping it gets ported to something, but I might just bite the bullet and play it anyway. My backlog is reaching a dangerous size.

Memory is unreliable. Games we played years ago get passes that the one's we played yesterday don't. Look at this in light of RE 5 which featured the best interface in a series that still hasn't arrived at a spectacular interface solution.
Look at REmake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9D5U3NARIU

Matinee. Pause the simulation. Will you take an item you've already indicated you intend to take by pressing a button? Pause. Equip the item. Pause. Press a button to fire and move to another matinee that poorly matches the state of the simulation. Pause. Fire again. More matinees.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mercenaries is what I'm most excited about with RE6. RE5 mercs was a ton of fun, but it was a step down in two aspects. 1.) Every character had the same music theme. 2.) Character selection in general was limited, especially pre-Gold version, having multiple pseudo-characters that were just reskins with different loadouts. And who wants to play as Josh and Excella when they could've picked Hunk, Tofu, Claire, or Ada?

Beth Cyra

So the only unrevealed partner now is Chris's, right?

So many options...

I was guessing it would be the dude who tried to get Chris to calm down when he was angry over someone getting his men killed.

Unless they picked perfect shots to hide Chris's partner (odd choice given he is the one character to always have a partner) he is with a Commando and it makes since it would be a new guy given the fact Chris is on a mission.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think RE5 is garbage. Or even "sucks" really. But it's not something I can really say I enjoy thoroughly. It has nothing to do with coop vs. noncoop. I played it both ways multiple times.

Tain

based on what?

Pretty much just Vanquish vs. all of the Western cover-based third person shooters I've played.

To make it slightly less giant of a generalization, I trust the good Japanese action game devs over the good Western ones. I actually do think the Capcom team behind this will take the steps needed to make sure players won't be sitting in cover for very long, which many of my favorite Western cover shooters aren't very good at doing.

Mr_Zombie

So the only unrevealed partner now is Chris's, right?

So many options...

Somewhere in this thread someone posted that the dude seen with Chris (the one with calf) was already presented in a manga before. So I think it's clear that he will be Chris' partner.

I should probably post, given my username. Trailer looks awesome, super-hyped! Can't believe how long they've sat on this, just like ND with The Last of Us. However...

∀ Narayan;34460439 said:
Co-op better be optional. If this turns into RE5 again I'm going to withdraw my interest completely.

I agree with this, forced co-op is a curse that must be purged. Sucks all the tension out of a horror game.

Top Bottom