• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How do you Mercenaries? Suck at it man. :(

Someone should make a Merc FAQ for RE5 and 6.

Here's a post I made a while back... and others could probably give good/better advice

That is the challenge... it's a balancing act of staying close enough to your partner for backup and far enough that you can both seek out a monster when they are spread out. We had a couple close calls. I killed one around 96 that was right at the last second.

One thing I do if things seem to be thinning is keep a shuffler alive that's close to me (as long as they aren't spitters they present very little risk) while looking for groups farther away. If things get dicey I just pump half a clip into it, buy myself some more time.

Do not get too focused on mini bosses... do some damage to them but mix in the easy zed kills to keep the combo going.

Do not get locked into a long melee sequence when combo time is in danger. Especially chasing them down with two-three melee hits... just be smart and let it go, if it's not fast, just pump some bullets into them, and move on to your next combo kill.

Get time and herbs early, and have your partner do this as well, right at the start before you kill anything, get all the time. You can have 7+ mins on the clock in 30 seconds if you work together.

Know where to pick up first aid sprays. They are pretty important if you get caught in a nasty loop of taking damage (damn magnum enemies) and they are a fast way to fully heal both players.

Learn to counter the bloodshots. It's easy, an instant kill, and nets you ten seconds each.

Learn to time/counter melee weapon enemies. Don't wait around for the counter, but you can get a feel for timing your approach with their attack pattern. Again, this is instakill (usually) and 10+ seconds. If the timing is off and it seems like you'll have to wait too long, quick shot into melee is a good option: instakill and 5+ second.

As far as high scoring... I think this really comes down to limit breaker and, just as, if not more important: managing the combo bonuses. You need to know where both are, and when/how to use them. We weren't great in this area, and is certainly the difference why we were 3000's on the leaderboards instead of 300's.

Good luck.

edit: Hey and if your partner has a mic, it's really helpful to let the other player know if you're getting in combo trouble. If they have a bunch around them, there's no reason for you to be in panic mode. And vice versa. If you're both in trouble... run in opposite directions and get ready to pump bullets into something (with reckless abandon) probably at range.

and for good measure

I've come to feel that incendiaries are the most godly weapon in the game... they just burn through anything and have a pretty generous AOE.

And you can freaking "quick shot" them too... which is pretty handy.

And quickshot dogs...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was rather proud of myself... just noticed that my first playthrough in Jake's campaign, I got every emblem but two. Then I got one of them on the first chapter as Sherry. So still missing 1 somewhere. Pretty good though, I thought... without looking at a guide.

Chris, I missed more than half. Leon, I think I missed 3-4. Ada I missed a bunch.

I love looking for that stuff though... every since the Tomb Raider games (probably even before) I've been pretty obsessed finding secrets.

I got 40/80 emblems on my first run. I was planning to do an Amateur run to pick up emblems, but the game is too long for that so I'll just pick them up on my Pro run as I go.

Speaking of which, still looking for someone to do Mercs or to start a Pro run with on 360. Otherwise I'll just go looking for randoms (which I'd rather not do lol).

WOW, Chris Chapter 3 Docks is the worst thing ever. Holy Fuck.

This has completely soured me on the game.
Everything past that is good. I found chris chapter 3 to be the last bad chapter of the game going by the ops order. Although some people find the first 10 minutes of jakes chapter 4 to be frustrating.

Is there any real negatives to continuing from checkpoints other than just your score at the end of a chapter? Also, is there anything you gain from getting good chapter scores? If theres no big benefit, I'm not gonna start pulling my hair out continuing from a mile away just to have no deaths...

Bladenic

Is there any real negatives to continuing from checkpoints other than just your score at the end of a chapter? Also, is there anything you gain from getting good chapter scores? If theres no big benefit, I'm not gonna start pulling my hair out continuing from a mile away just to have no deaths...

Lol no, I feel bad for you for doing that. Just play the game regularly. If you do die a lot your overall rank at the end of the chapter could be lower, but those really don't account for anything other than Records. And since you can replay chapters if you really care about that, then yeah.

Replicant

Get orange sandclocks.

Kill (counterattack and melee for time bonus preferred)

Do not, let, the combo die. Do not. Use all you have to avoid it beeping away.

Use the green sandclocks in the best moments of combo (aka the ones you can pull the most combos in the shortest span of time).

That's about it.

What is this? I never saw it.

I too suck on Merc. The best I can do is about 76500, which is equal to about 70 kills. I just can't keep up with the headshots combo once all the helmet firemen and all manners of freak abominations come out to play.

Grisby

How do you Mercenaries? Suck at it man. :(

Someone should make a Merc FAQ for RE5 and 6.

GO for orange time blocks first (and pickup health items along the way). Always try and execute (performing counters on zombies with weapons) or shoot them a couple of times till you see the execution signal. This buys you more time. Try to keep the combo up and when you think you have a good flow pop the green stones as they give you a combo bonus.

I roll with the increased item drop skill so I never run out of ammo.

I too suck on Merc. The best I can do is about 76500, which is equal to about 70 kills. I just can't keep up with the headshots combo once all the helmet firemen and all manners of freak abominations come out to play.
They are usually placed outside of the levels in areas your character can;t reach. You can shoot them though. Like...er, theres one on top of the bridge in the Urban Chaos map. You can shoot it from the ground if your're on the far side of the map. Usually there are 3 of them hidden around, always in the same spots.

Lol no, I feel bad for you for doing that. Just play the game regularly. If you do die a lot your overall rank at the end of the chapter could be lower, but those really don't account for anything other than Records. And since you can replay chapters if you really care about that, then yeah.

Haha you have no idea how miserable I've been. Yeah thanks, I'm not gonna give a shit about the rankings anymore, it's already making me enjoy the game much more

Grisby

Also, when helmeted dudes come on try and run around them in order to pop the gas canisters on their backs, making them (most of the time) explode.

the armor guys its better to just shoot their legs until they die if your combo is timing out.

It really isn't. I did Pro the first time without any help at all. ;_;
yeah it really isn't. though
Simmons on foot with Ada takes such a long time to defeat especially coming off the chopper section solo.

I actually don't hate the jeep section. it was just so beyond bad that it wasn't even annoying.
Re5's was actually done much better but It was pretty annoying imo.

Esura

Banned
Get orange sandclocks.

Kill (counterattack and melee for time bonus preferred)

Do not, let, the combo die. Do not. Use all you have to avoid it beeping away.

Use the green sandclocks in the best moments of combo (aka the ones you can pull the most combos in the shortest span of time).

That's about it.

Here's a post I made a while back... and others could probably give good/better advice

and for good measure

And quickshot dogs...

GO for orange time blocks first (and pickup health items along the way). Always try and execute (performing counters on zombies with weapons) or shoot them a couple of times till you see the execution signal. This buys you more time. Try to keep the combo up and when you think you have a good flow pop the green stones as they give you a combo bonus.

I roll with the increased item drop skill so I never run out of ammo.

They are usually placed outside of the levels in areas your character can;t reach. You can shoot them though. Like...er, theres one on top of the bridge in the Urban Chaos map. You can shoot it from the ground if your're on the far side of the map. Usually there are 3 of them hidden around, always in the same spots.

Ah, thanks for the tips.

Evolved1

Jake 4
chopper fight
is about the most retarded fucking thing I've ever endured... what a piece of shit this is.

Bladenic

Jake 4
chopper fight
is about the most retarded fucking thing I've ever endured... what a piece of shit this is.

OMFG yes. One of the worst sections in the game. Mainly because you can't actually hit it, or it's ridiculously hard to hit it. Without co-op, you're basically waiting for the AI to do it, and God knows it's gonna take them forever.

Noi

Jake 4
chopper fight

OMFG yes. One of the worst sections in the game. Mainly because you can't actually hit it, or it's ridiculously hard to hit it. Without co-op, you're basically waiting for the AI to do it, and God knows it's gonna take them forever.

|
V

climb the rope

You can climb the rope as Jake and take out the chopper with one magnum bullet.
Admittedly, the game makes no indication that you can do this, outside of the trophy you get for it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually don't hate the jeep section. it was just so beyond bad that it wasn't even annoying.
Re5's was actually done much better but It was pretty annoying imo.

RE5 jeep section on Pro is fucking TERRIBLE. That Gigante fight...

I was fine with the one in 6. It was pretty ugly but in co-op it's just dumb fun having someone actually controlling the vehicle.

Noi

Wait, where is it? I remember running around everywhere on the roofs with Jake, couldn't find any way to get higher up.

It's the rope that the chopper uses to drop off the backup soldiers. You can climb it as he's dropping them off, climb up to the chopper and one-shot the pilot himself.

RE5 jeep section on Pro is fucking TERRIBLE. That Gigante fight...

I was fine with the one in 6. It was pretty ugly but in co-op it's just dumb fun having someone actually controlling the vehicle.

Pretty much this. I only play the campaign on co-op, so at the least it's an average section where I get to yell at my partner for driving terribly (and vice versa).

Sectus

I've completed the entire game, but there's still one cutscene which is missing in my list, I'm curious if anyone has any input on this.

I lack the cutscene which is just before "Six-Month Reunion (Sherry)" in Jake's campaign. I assume there's a variant called "Six-Month Reunion (Jake)" but I don't know how to get it. I played the section as Jake instead of Sherry and I didn't see any cutscene which was different and I didn't unlock any new cutscene in the viewer.

Evolved1

Should have pointed that out then. :V

I'm going through solo on Professional... already played the first time as Jake. This time I had to just run in circles for 10 mins while the AI did whatever the hell it was doing.

I actually shot the last two jerks off the thing, and then on the next part I did more damage to it than the AI, but ran out of 40mm grenades.

A couple parts in the game are kind of crappy when you're solo. That's one of them.

Noi

I've completed the entire game, but there's still one cutscene which is missing in my list, I'm curious if anyone has any input on this.

I lack the cutscene which is just before "Six-Month Reunion (Sherry)" in Jake's campaign. I assume there's a variant called "Six-Month Reunion (Jake)" but I don't know how to get it. I played the section as Jake instead of Sherry and I didn't see any cutscene which was different and I didn't unlock any new cutscene in the viewer.

There's one cutscene where Jake drops in on a waiting Sherry, and another where Sherry drops in on a waiting Jake. Which one you get depends on who gets to the room first. I'm not sure, but I don't actually think you can get it in single player, unless you as Sherry take a long time to get to the room with the closets.

I'm going through solo of Professional... already played the first time as Jake. This time I had to just run in circles for 10 mins while the AI did whatever the hell it was doing.

I actually shot the last two jerks off the thing, and then on the next part I did more damage to it than the AI, but ran out of 40mm grenades.

A couple parts in the game are kind of crappy when you're solo. That's one of them.

You should do what I do and ask if people want to join ya on co-op. I wouldn't have minded playing with ya (and still don't, if you want to keep at it. I love playing as Jake/his whole campaign).

Bladenic

It's the rope that the chopper uses to drop off the backup soldiers. You can climb it as he's dropping them off, climb up to the chopper and one-shot the pilot himself.

Pretty much this. I only play the campaign on co-op, so at the least it's an average section where I get to yell at my partner for driving terribly (and vice versa).

Oh, sounds super cool. Had no idea whatsoever, totally doing that when I do my Professional run with them. Can Sherry do it too? I'm guessing there's a sort of time limit to when it can be done too.

Noi

Oh, sounds super cool. Had no idea whatsoever, totally doing that when I do my Professional run with them. Can Sherry do it too? I'm guessing there's a sort of time limit to when it can be done too.

Jake only, which kinda blows, but it actually makes sense now as to why
Sherry, if you didn't get the Bear Commander on Chapter 3, automatically gets it at that point on Chapter 4, but Jake doesn't. He can actually beat the chopper without it.
No time limit either, since the
chopper endlessly goes back and forth between areas to get more reinforcements. But the window to actually climb it is rather small since he doesn't stick around for too long after dropping them off.

Papercuts

I was to, had to redo the level and my Jake didn't have a magnum(luckily didn't matte)

Was that fight even possible in co-op? so frustrating.

It was possible if you both were PERFECT, but not recommended at all. That and fighting Jill were both annoying as hell without the AI.

Noi

It was possible if you both were PERFECT, but not recommended at all. That and fighting Jill were both annoying as hell without the AI.

Nah, it's actually not THAT bad on co-op. Me and a buddy did it, and we managed to do it on our second try, with our only death being at Ndesu himself. I guess it helps that we both had that stage half-memorized from playing it on Vet, haha.

Jill though? Maaaaan that was rough to do. :lol

Papercuts

Nah, it's actually not THAT bad on co-op. Me and a buddy did it, and we managed to do it on our second try, with our only death being at Ndesu himself. I guess it helps that we both had that stage half-memorized from playing it on Vet, haha.

Jill though? Maaaaan that was rough to do. :lol

I always got hit by the boulders with my partner. ;_;

I was going to do a guide, but Evolved1 is pretty spot on. The best thing you can do first is to try solo to learn the levels and get comparable taking on groups of enemies. Just do a dry run to see where everything is and adjust to what you need when your selecting your character. When I do double I am never near my partner cause I hate when they interrupt my stun when going in for melee.

And I hate when my partner doesn't use any skills. Breaking the limit is one of the best, so is time bounus+ or Combo bonus+.

I am about to jump on If anyone wants to play hit me up on xbl. GT: Toonami918.

Gahh this game! So fucking mixed! I don't even understand why it's so all over the place.

When it's good, it's damn good. Leons first couple chapters for example. When it's bad, it's so fucking bad! Chris' campaign is the absolute worst imo. His first two chapters are incredibly frustrating, clumsy and just a complete and utter mess. It's weird since his intro cutscene was just as interesting as Leons, and really set a cool tone. But then it's just a mess after that with a couple cool moments, like
him losing his squad

Just finished Jakes third chapter and I kinda liked it. His first couple chapters were not too bad, chase got old fast though, and there are Chris campaign type issues in it from time to time. But his relationship with Sherry is pushing me on. The cutscenes between Sherry and Jake, and Helena and Leon are generally fantastic. Really great chemistry, especially Sherry and Jake's cutscene in the second chapter, in the
cabin

Before anyone jumps on me, I really do like this game, a lot. But man, so much bs in it. Cheap deaths, sluggish animation/gameplay for Chris and sometimes Jake's campaign. When I'm not fighting zombies I think it's a mess. Mentioned it before but shooting dudes who shoot back generally feels horrible imo. Zombies are my favourite.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
MERCENARIES IS DIGITAL CRACK!!

Just 150 combo'ed Mining the Depths with Black Flames! That only leaves Steel Beast. Jeez I hate that map, it's way too big to constantly have enemies to fight lol.

BTW I think Sherry EX, Chris, and
Carla
are the best Mercs characters.

MERCENARIES IS DIGITAL CRACK!!

Just 150 combo'ed Mining the Depths! That only leaves Steel Beast. Jeez I hate that map, it's way too big to constantly have enemies to fight lol.

Yeah it is lol...sorry about butchering your name man. Steel Beast's spawns are weird and we really couldn't get anything going. Maybe we need to use the Nascar Piers/
Carla
team again?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it is lol...sorry about butchering your name man. Steel Beast's spawns are weird and we really couldn't get anything going. Maybe we need to use the Nascar Piers/
Carla
team again?

Haha no worries. Yeah that was a pretty sick team, we should try it again sometime. I think with that map you need to memorize where the spawns happen, since different enemies spawn in different locations, and I think we keep ending up in the wrong spot when they spawn.

I actually find the J'avo easier to fight than zombies since they don't tend to swarm you as much. It's just that map is weird.

EekTheKat

Huh...interesting - started up a new game as Helena and I had no ammo left from my last run. She was walkin around in the opening cutscenes pointing a visibilty empty empty gun.

You can see the slide of her pistol pulled back.

So any connection to revelations in this? Really seemed like that entry served no purpose, thought it was going to set up events for this by chance.

Haha no worries. Yeah that was a pretty sick team, we should try it again sometime. I think with that map you need to memorize where the spawns happen, since different enemies spawn in different locations, and I think we keep ending up in the wrong spot when they spawn.

I actually find the J'avo easier to fight than zombies since they don't tend to swarm you as much. It's just that map is weird.

When playing Solo half of them spawn at the very top, other half at the bottom. In Duo they just don't care...it's almost like that stage is for more than 2 players.

And yeah the J'avo are easier, they telegraph their moves more too.

Top Bottom