• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

This hits the nail on the head, and describes why I give no mind to what reviewers have to say.

I feel like journalists are falling over themselves to criticize this game (and, by association, Capcom). They get to regain journalistic integrity by saying, "Hey, we give AAA games bad scores!" But in reality they're only doing it in a safe situation where the hardcore gamer public wouldn't crucify them because Capcom is a safe target. It's like criticizing EA; everyone will cheer you along, so it doesn't really take guts to do so.

You have literally no idea if any of this is true.

Also, avatar quote.

It's good to be a so superior person, right? In any case, you are ever right, I imagine.

Nope. It's just that you went so away from the normal post where one exposes his opinion to the point of making it one reply after another of "no u no u no u" every time someone was being optimistic about the game. You come off as a false person that needs to voice his disgust until it has some sort of... dunno. Repercussion?

I'll never understand what people find so magical about RE4's "encounter design". Midway through the castle were you still amazed when you'd get locked in a room and have to kill everyone before getting out?

That happened only a few times, and they managed to make each one seem interesting with a twist in how the area was laid out and what enemy types were there. It was almost like a puzzle. Each area, enemy encounter, or boss fight was hand-crafted to perfection.

In RE5 enemies just sort of came at you and it all sort of blended together based on what chapter you were in. It wasn't a bad game, but it was a somewhat bland one, especially in single player.

Castef

Banned
One step closer to "Resident Evil a game by Visceral "

images

PowderedToast

i'm no fanboy. i love games and i've studied the art of criticism for years, meaning i respect it as a required part of discourse and culture.

i abhor the current state of the gaming criticism due to it's incestuous, dishonest and cynical nature. so i like to point it out when i see it. right now, it's pretty transparent.

cvxfreak

How's cvxfreak taking this, lol

I'm very unsurprised and very disappointed at the RE6 team. They've, at the bare minimum, churned out a huge and epic disappointment.

I firmly believe Resident Evil has entered its first true dark age, with two consecutive titles rated badly and/or lower than series standards. When a main series title is scoring 3s and 4s from reputable outlets, you know there's a problem.

Up until now, the primary versions of the mainline RE games averaged at 89.XX% -- basically a 90. RE6 would be lucky to stay at 65 when this is all said and done.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Resident Evil 6 will probably be the best selling game in the series. Nobody in the mass market give a shit about reviews. Look at the best-selling media properties and their scores. Most of them are rated poorly as fuck. People only care, right here, right now because it meets the bias they have set for Capcom abandoning what Resident Evil was. Which again, all started with Resident Evil 4.

I doubt it will be the best selling, this generation is long in the tooth and software sales are on the downslope.

Foffy

Banned
This hits the nail on the head, and describes why I give no mind to what reviewers have to say.

I feel like journalists are falling over themselves to criticize this game (and, by association, Capcom). They get to regain journalistic integrity by saying, "Hey, we give AAA games bad scores!" But in reality they're only doing it in a safe situation where the hardcore gamer public wouldn't crucify them because Capcom is a safe target. It's like criticizing EA; everyone will cheer you along, so it doesn't really take guts to do so.

I played the demo, and while it wasn't perfect and was somewhat awkward, I cannot for the life of me justify 3s and 4s. Really guys? This game doesn't seem like a broken mess of glitchy mechanics and broken design. Using words like "garbage" to dismiss the game just sounds like the kind of nonsense spouted by an oblivious journalist stroking his ego up in his ivory tower, all the while knowing that his sycophantic followers will be baying for Capcom's blood no matter what.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but Skyrim on PS3 was an objectively broken pile of garbage software; there can be no argument on that point. Did it get mauled in the review department? Hell no. But Bethesda is beloved by fans, whereas Capcom has a legion of haters.

Journalistic integrity indeed.

Many, many people have already brought up the Skyrim thing in threads about that game; much of that does stem from the fact Bethesda gave companies 360 code so they had to assume PS3 was similar. I'm sure the complaints made about RE6 have less to do with different versions, but decisions made that impact the entire game, no matter what build you're playing.

I'm not sure if companies were looking to talk shit about the game, as the press seemed to be very forgiving for the awful demos and screen tearing showcases while those at GAF were livid at their naivety to the situation. It was perhaps that they thought things would come together in the end, and it seems some do not think the core game is coherent. Playing the demo of the game showcases this. It's up to players to determine if the haphazard mechanics and pacing are something they can manage.

I think, based on your avatar, you have already made a decision on the game even before bad reviews about it came to surface. And there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't think it's right to pull the "loljournalism" card anytime a game you like gets a poor score.

Work PC won't allow me to go to any obvious gaming sites so I can't read reviews. What exactly are the issues with RE6? If they are similar issues people had with RE5 then I think I will be ok with purchasing it seeing as I had no problem with RE5. What I am worried about are fundamental issues such as control or bugs.

Seriously

You don't think "gaming journalism" is mostly a damn joke?

Don't need 'em. Play your own damn games and make your own opinions kids.
Says the guy posting in a review thread

I love the people taking solace in the fact that it will sell well. That's awesome! I forgot that you play the NPD chart not you know the actual game

Curufinwe

I'm saying that, because I've actually played RE6, and I unequivocally loved my time with it. Sometimes when you review game after game after game, it's easy to get jaded, and that might be what's happening here. Or, maybe some people just wanted a totally different take on RE than what RE6 provided—I know that, as a longtime Silent Hill fan, I hated Shattered Memories for that very reason.

I'm going to extrapolate from these two examples and say that you and Brad from GiantBomb probably disagree on everything.

Revven

I played the demo, and while it wasn't perfect and was somewhat awkward, I cannot for the life of me justify 3s and 4s. Really guys? This game doesn't seem like a broken mess of glitchy mechanics and broken design. Using words like "garbage" to dismiss the game just sounds like the kind of nonsense spouted by an oblivious journalist stroking his ego up in his ivory tower, all the while knowing that his sycophantic followers will be baying for Capcom's blood no matter what.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but Skyrim on PS3 was an objectively broken pile of garbage software; there can be no argument on that point. Did it get mauled in the review department? Hell no. But Bethesda is beloved by fans, whereas Capcom has a legion of haters.

Erm... I'll be sure to avoid reading any more posts from you, sir. >_>

Psst. The post you quoted was a joke.

omonimo

Banned
Nope. It's just that you went so away from the normal post where one exposes his opinion to the point of making it one reply after another of "no u no u no u" every time someone was being optimistic about the game. You come off as a false person that needs to voice his disgust until it has some sort of... dunno. Repercussion?
From the highness of what you continue to said that? I have to remember what's going on yesterday in that horrible topic? Stop here, please, it's enough ot.

Except for one post, I do not see any conspiracy theory. I just see people saying 5 times that they are not buying the game for the review score. In other words, low scores just empowers the haters (that have not played anything but the demo and pretend that's the full game experience). If the game had a 7 as the lowest score, it would still be having that shit going at it, except the posts would involve bought reviewers... right omonimo?

Sectus

I think a part of the problem is that despite being in a genre which has very expected gameplay, RE6 has quite a bit of a learning curve. If you try to play it like a normal shooter, it's not that fun and you'll become frustrated that some things are very punishing in unusual ways (get shot too much and you'll get knocked down for instance).

I'm not saying everybody hating on the game is wrong (liking games is extremely subjective after all), but before giving up on the gameplay, people should give all the mechanics a try and learn how they work (that being the dodges, melees and quickshots). I think trying mercenaries mode off the bat might actually be a good idea, because that's the best place to experiment.

what I learned from this topic is that resident evil 4 is apparently a very bad game.

Also, I'm still excited for resident evil 6, but lately I've been thinking of starting a new game in samurai western, so there's obviously something wrong with me

Bladenic

Resident Evil 4 is what started this supposed mess, Andrew. If people had given it shit for nudging the franchise in the wrong direction, Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 would have been truer to what die hard fans want from the series.

Now it's too late and I think instead of lambasting Capcom for the natural progression, those that want "classic RE" should embrace action Resident Evil or completely ignore action Resident Evil and hope when Capcom reboots the series next gen that they go back to basics or that they (or another studios) creates the survival horror game desired. Visceral got close with Dead Space but that too has gone action because that's where the money is, apparently.

Now personally, I don't care because I liked Resident Evil 5 for being a really big Japanese action game with high production values. I think Japanese action games, when made well are the best kind and as RE6 looks stupidly crazy, bombastic, and has a lot of content I'm going to play it and probably love it.

Well, the action being where the money is is completely true. The RE series sales were drastically falling before RE4, and of course Capcom needed a change. Let's not forget that Mikami himself was the one that made RE4 what it was. And again, RE4 had plenty of the atmosphere and whatnot of the previous games. Sure it simplified the puzzles but the puzzles and constant backtracking of the previous games were tedious and artifically lenghtening game time, whereas RE4 was just a long game.

RE5 was a much more drastic change than RE4 was, removing puzzles almost completely and missing most of the dreary atmosphere (perhaps due to the addition of a partner).

But I loved RE5 too, and after several demo playthroughs of 6, will no doubt like it a lot as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reviews seem mixed, hovering around "average". I haven't touched the demo and really haven't watched everything to do with this. Resident Evil 5 was shitful coming off Resident Evil 4, but Revelations was surprisingly good. Everyone I know here in Australia playing it seems to be enjoying it a lot more than RE5.

I'm not optimistic, but that might work in my favour. Will still play when it comes to PC. If anything kills the game for me, it will be the abundance of QTEs.

iqubal

Banned
Wow, was not expecting this game to get butchered in some reviews. Maybe i'll get it when its cheaper (in like december for $15 dollars lol).

So the final version... didn't turn out good?

I guess I'll kill my pre-order and wait till next year to pick it up :/

Were the gameplay mechanics refined at all in the final version?

omonimo

Banned
Except for one post, I do not see any conspiracy theory. I just see people saying 5 times that they are not buying the game for the review score. In other words, low scores just empowers the haters (that have not played anything but the demo and pretend that's the full game experience). If the game had a 7 as the lowest score, it would still be having that shit going at it, except the posts would involve bought reviewers... right omonimo?

You know what means member war? Stay quiet, please.

Riposte

That happened only a few times, and they managed to make each one seem interesting with a twist in how the area was laid out and what enemy types were there. It was almost like a puzzle. Each area, enemy encounter, or boss fight was hand-crafted to perfection.

In RE5 enemies just sort of came at you and it all sort of blended together based on what chapter you were in.

This sounds like the weird scope which the gaming media views Halo games through, almost exclusively.

Damn game is getting hammered, not suprised. Game seemed to want to be everything. If im capcom im getting MML3 restarted ASAP

That'll save them!

(EX Troopers will probably be the best MML3 could have ever been, so get that)

Two worlds collide, rival nations
It's a primitive clash, venting years of frustrations
Bravely we hope against all hope, there is so much at stake
Seems our freedom's up against the ropes
Does the crowd understand?
Is it a East vs. West, or man against man
Can any nation stand alone?

I'm thinking this thread is more like

Tell the world that you're winning, love and life, love and life
Listen to the voice sayin' follow me
Listen to the voice sayin' follow me
When two tribes go to war, a point is all that you can score
When two tribes go to war, a point is all that you can score
We've got two tribes (We got the bomb, we got the bomb)
Somethin' this good died

Top Bottom