• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard Ships Over Three Million Worldwide!

We already have plenty third person shooters, as we have plenty first person spookers. What we don't have any longer is claustrophobic third person camera single player no multiplayer real survival horror games.

First person camera >>>>(...)>>>>>> third person camera.

Why people continue to make/demand third person games, while first person perspective is just better in every aspect, is beyond me. First person REmake and Dead Space is a dream. And I say this as someone who's favorite game ever is RE4.

Melchiah

It's not a popular opinion around these parts since some people actually do seem to dig the horror aspect. It's certainly good for them, but I have to look out for my own interests too.

Sorry guys, but if Capcom wants to make a first person horror game with jump scares and not use any established RE characters and mythos for most of the setting, they should just do a new IP or something...

Pretty much the same can be said about RE4-5, which tossed away the series' gameplay mechanics, made the plot too goofy, and decreased the horror in favor of action. Luckily, we're on the right track now.

First-person camera >>>> (...)>>>>>> third-person camera.

Why people continue to make/demand third person games, while first person perspective is just better in every aspect, is beyond me. First person REmake and Dead Space is a dream. And I say this as someone who's favorite game ever is RE4.

I was not sold on first-person RE until final game released, but it just perfect for the horror genre. I still want some third person RE games though because I still want to be able to see and control those iconic characters.

Spaghetti

Neat.

I liked it, but next time Capcom should be brave and lean more into the series roots instead of just making a big budget Revelations game.

Wicker Man-inspired RE set in some remote village in Scotland with puzzles, scarce ammo, survival aspects, and
zombies
. Capcom pls.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil shouldn't be run and gun. It started as survival horror and and now it has successfully gone back to its roots. Hell they even wanted the original RE to be first person, but the hardware would not allow it back then. I mean I hope they continue provide action oriented titles like Revelations and will buy them, but the big budget RE game should be exactly like RE7 in terms atmosphere, resource management and fear of the unknown. I wasn't sold at first, but after playing it they made a brilliant decision. P.T. who?

Revelations are weak action games. They have less action than RE4. But regardless of that. I don't mind the shift RE7 has done. But I just want what I want more. Since I prefer action, even if I have enjoyed all the games. I know the history of the series and everything else, so you won't change my mind on this.

I just hope RE8 will be a better game overall than 7. 7 has the base, but it still has a lot of things to fix.

We already have plenty third person shooters, as we have plenty first person spookers. What we don't have any longer is claustrophobic third person camera single player no multiplayer real survival horror games.

Tell me the third person shooters that play like RE4-6. I'll wait.

So many action franchises out there and people whining about RE which started off as survival horror going back to its roots. Jesus Christ.

I enjoyed the action stuff too, but I want Resident Evil to be Resident Evil. If I want action I can pop in like a million other things.

Neat.

I liked it, but next time Capcom should be brave and lean more into the series roots instead of just making a big budget Revelations game.

Wicker Man-inspired RE set in some remote village in Scotland with puzzles, scarce ammo, survival aspects, and
zombies
. Capcom pls.

RE7 is nothing like Revelations except
part of it takes place on ship.

Jawmuncher

So many action franchises out there and people whining about RE which started off as survival horror going back to its roots. Jesus Christ.

I enjoyed the action stuff too, but I want Resident Evil to be Resident Evil. If I want action I can pop in like a million other things.

But Resident Evil is action tho?
Like I said earlier. Tell me an action game that plays like RE4-6 and i'll just jump to that series.

Spaghetti

RE7 is nothing like Revelations except
part of it takes place on ship.
C'mon man, you know that's not true.

The molded are almost 1:1 the Ooze creatures, you always have just enough ammo, the puzzle elements are similarly linear, and by the end of both games it's a shooting gallery.

For the longest time it was about exploration, solving puzzles, atmosphere, item management, etc. where the action would escalate toward the end. The last three games had an action emphasis and they were fun, but aside from maybe 4 I felt little tension, let alone atmosphere, and absolutely no wonderment of where I'm supposed to go or finding my way through any environment really which is what was largely associative of the franchise to begin with.

There was no fulfilling satisfaction of figuring things out in those games. Fun, yes. But RE started out as having a bit more to it than just straightforward shootbang, don't think just go game design. I like action too, but I also like having to think a bit, learn the environments, my surroundings, being immersed, and so on. Revelations 2 was the one that came the closest to molding it all together.

C'mon man, you know that's not true.

The molded are almost 1:1 the Ooze creatures, you always have just enough ammo, the puzzle elements are similarly linear, and by the end of both games it's a shooting gallery.

Eh I can see similarity after you said it, but still didn't feel like a Revelations game to me. Maybe a mix classic of RE and Revelations.

duckroll

For the longest time it was about exploration, solving puzzles, atmosphere, item management, etc. where the action would escalate toward the end. The last three games had an action emphasis and they were fun, but aside from maybe 4 I felt little tension, let alone atmosphere, and absolutely no wonderment of where I'm supposed to go or finding my way through any environment really which is what was largely associative of the franchise to begin with.

Yes, RE3 was all about the atmosphere and wonderment of exploring a setting we just played in the previous game. That's certainly what I associate with the franchise!

(See, we can do this too. It's silly.)

Yes, RE3 was all about the atmosphere and wonderment of exploring a setting we just played in the previous game. That's certainly what I associate with the franchise!

(See, we can do this too. It's silly.)

Yeah the entirety of RE3 took place in the police station. And how does that example address anything I just said?

Jawmuncher

The series has been action and horror for the same amount of time at this point. RE4 was that shift to action. My whole thing I was getting at is how it's disingenuous to go "You can just play any horror title for scares" which is how I feel when people go "You can play any action game if you want action".

As you just said yourself. The older games offered something unique and so did the action RE games. So saying either can be fixed by playing some other franchise just doesn't work.

It aint my fault capcom made the series action for that time period.

Spaghetti

Eh I can see similarity after you said it, but still didn't feel like a Revelations game to me. Maybe a mix classic of RE and Revelations.
Difference of opinion, I guess. I got Revelations vibes the whole way through.

Revelations was the last time the series "went back to its roots", if I recall correctly; but it was really just a half step. RE7 felt to me like only a few inches further on that half step.

The happy birthday sequence and the bedroom DLC give me hope, but they were the exception and not the rule when it came to the puzzles. Not that they should copy these 1:1 in a future game, but it definitely still shows the capacity for interesting, unique puzzle elements.

As you just said yourself. The older games offered something unique and so did the action RE games. So saying either can be fixed by playing some other franchise just doesn't work.

I think a series should be what it was meant to be. Evolve, sure. But you can evolve and keep the essence of what made it in the first place. Metroid Prime went slightly more action than previous Metroids because of the first person view, but it also withheld the atmosphere, aesthetics, traversal, etc. It didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was still identifiably Metroid. Same with 3D Zelda. Same with 3D Mario.

RE4 had some good atmosphere, but I didn't find it satisfactory when it came to exploration or puzzle solving. Even more so for 5 and 6. If they make another action based game and remember to keep some of this stuff give me a ring.

duckroll

Dead Space.

Played it. Didn't like it much. It's nothing like a good RE action game. The characters have no personality, you never feel the weighty sense of being a strong person with a big gun being forced to put zombies out of their misery. Yes, the game is clearly inspired by RE4. Yes there are some similarities in mechanics. But the execution is what makes (good) RE games fun. There's a reason why some of us don't like Revelations either. It's not about just having an action game that is called RE or that is similar to RE. It's about the big mainline entry with everything thrown behind it and nails what worked in RE4 and RE5. Want more of that.

I think a series should be what it was meant to be. Evolve, sure. But you can evolve and keep the essence of what made it in the first place. Metroid Prime went slightly more action than previous Metroids because of the first person view, but it also withheld the atmosphere, aesthetics, traversal, etc. It didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was still identifiably Metroid. Same with 3D Zelda. Same with 3D Mario.

RE4 had some good atmosphere, but I didn't find it satisfactory when it came to exploration or puzzle solving. Even more so for 5 and 6. If they make another action based game and remember to keep some of this stuff give me a ring.

The point is what what a series is "meant to be" is simply what each person takes away from it. There is no objective answer. Each creator involved in RE probably has a different view of what it is "meant" to be, just like each fan. Arguing about what it is meant to be is pointless. We can only say what we want it to be. I want it to be more action packed because I feel the series worked best that way. It isn't any less RE than what you want it to be.

I want them to go back to the old gang, for sure. Ethan is the worst of the mainline RE protags. That being said, I love every version of RE's formula so I would be cool with whatever direction they took the franchise in. I do think there is a way to merge the horror with action in a good way. Something more like RE4, but a good bit scarier.

I wouldn't trust anyone but Mikami though. And even then, I'd give him five years development time.

Worst mainline RE protag is RE6 Leon. I can't even remember good moments for him in that game. Might as well have been a silent protagonist with how dull he was.

Jawmuncher

Dead Space.

That's definitely the closest. But even then it's a stretch.
It's also dead.

See that's where the difference is and also where a big fight with the fans in. 5-6 feels like a natural evolution to me. These character's handling Bio Threats aren't always going to be defenseless and weak. I mean that's why with RE7 we had to go to a whole new cahracter after all.

The sections where it's aping gears are its worst moments. I don't know why they thought the laser-sighted gun weilding enemies forcing you into the weakest stop and pop cover shooter encounters I've ever played was a good idea. It's antithetical to everything that makes RE5's combat so fun. No melee, no strategic positioning and crowd control, just waiting for the green laser sight to be off you so you can peek over and line up a shot before doing the same thing for the next three stationary dudes.

Ugghh

Don't remind me.

I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.
Hey now, I didn't hope that RE6 would turn out that way and lead to the series making a game for those of us who felt it was a step too far away from what we loved about the series. You got a few absurd over the top mega budget RE games. We hadn't had one like this arguably since REmake.

The sections where it's aping gears are its worst moments. I don't know why they thought the laser-sighted gun weilding enemies forcing you into the weakest stop and pop cover shooter encounters I've ever played was a good idea. It's antithetical to everything that makes RE5's combat so fun. No melee, no strategic positioning and crowd control, just waiting for the green laser sight to be off you so you can peek over and line up a shot before doing the same thing for the next three stationary dudes.

I really liked the Yakuza zombies riding motorcycles and zombie tanks in RE6

tFMDtM35rm4V2.gif

Jawmuncher

Hey now, I didn't hope that RE6 would turn out that way and lead to the series making a game for those of us we felt it was a step too far away from what we loved about the series. You got a few absurd over the top mega budget RE game. We hadn't had one like this arguably since REmake.

On the same hand it's also not our fault capcom wanted to make action games.
I completely agree that the handling of the series has been whack. for 10 years they didn't even attempt to really craft a game in the classic style. On the same hand, I don't think it's fair to say that we should get another 10 years and not get any action again either. It's capcom's fault the fanbase is divided in the first place, so they should be the one's fixing it.

Go tell Aunt Rhody that everybody's happy with Resident Evil 7!

I'm not.
It has a good base, but still needs work.

Like I said earlier. Tell me an action game that plays like RE4-6 and i'll just jump to that series.

Dead Space.

Played it. Didn't like it much. It's nothing like a good RE action game.

There's only one good RE action game though.

You guys really need to stop, because this argument is going nowhere, and it's been going nowhere for years.

I completely agree that the handling of the series has been whack. for 10 years they didn't even attempt to really craft a game in the classic style. On the same hand, I don't think it's fair to say that we should get another 10 years and not get any action again either. It's capcom's fault the fanbase is divided in the first place, so they should be the one's fixing it.

I'm not.
It has a good base, but still needs work.
I didn't begrudge all the people who loved RE6 when it came out. I was really disappointed that my favorite franchise left me out in the cold with a game that didn't remotely appeal to me. I've long said it's clearly a game for people who love games like vanquish, but that isn't me. It isn't what I want from the franchise.

But many loved it, and I never wished anyone that did, or the people who made the game anything but the greatest success.

So when they basically made RE7 my dream game (I had literally been asking for REmake in first person in VR on gaf before I knew the game was even in development) it felt like a warm hug welcoming me back in from the cold. I hope someday you get to feel the same way, because I have stood where you stood and it sucks.

But I never wished RE6 anything but the best.

I don't think we need the overall direction of RE to go back to crazy action.

We just need another action spinoff game that isn't Umbrella Corp.

Jawmuncher

I didn't begrudge all the people who loved RE6 when it came out. I was really disappointed that my favorite franchise left me out in the cold with a game that didn't remotely appeal to me. I've long said it's clearly a game for people who love games like vanquish, but that isn't me. It isn't what I want from the franchise.

But many loved it, and I never wished anyone that did, or the people who made the game anything but the greatest success.

So when they basically made RE7 my dream game (I had literally been asking for REmake in first person in VR on gaf before I knew the game was even in development) it felt like a warm hug welcoming me back in from the cold. I hope someday you get to feel the same way, because I have stood where you stood and it sucks.

But I never wished RE6 anything but the best.

Yeah I wasn't saying you specifically. I was just talking in a general sense. Like my bottom post says. I'm cool with the series going back to roots and everything else. But I just don't want to see the action side of things forgotten, even if it's regulated to just it's own sub series.

I don't think we need the overall direction of RE to go back to crazy action.

We just need another action spinoff game that isn't Umbrella Corp.

This is where I stand. I'm not saying the series needs to be action and not horror.
But there should definitely be a new sub series for the action. As I said earlier, even just a mercenaries title would do a lot to fill in the current void. It's been 5 years at the end of this year since RE6.

You guys are making me hope for a kick ass Mercenaries game

First person camera >>>>(...)>>>>>> third person camera.

Since when are wobbly cameras and low FOV superior

duckroll

RE8=RE7 style, REmake 2=REmake style, Revelations 3=RE5/6 style.

Everyone wins.

The only way "everyone wins" in this scenario is if somehow Capcom, who is increasingly frugal when it comes to game development, actually makes 3 AAA RE games with the best of their talent at the same time. The likelihood of that happening is low. Especially considering the quality of the first two Revelations game, expecting Revelations 3 to be like RE4-6 in terms of scope, quality, and production values seems.... highly unlikely.

You guys are making me hope for a kick ass Mercenaries game

I think this is the only realistic middle ground everyone can agree on. It would cost Capcom far less to make a good current-gen service driven Mercenaries game with production values high enough to be satisfying without blowing a hole in their wallet.

Elija2

The odds of it missing targets at this point is extremely slim.

I kind of bet that you will get an action TPS RE still though. I'm betting Revelations 3 will be a thing as the first 2 were both considered successful for Capcom, and they probably will use that (and REmake2) to keep TPS RE fans happy while RE8 will continue the 1st person focus on horror / VR

I doubt they'll give Revelations 3 a big budget though considering 1 and 2 didn't have one. Not that they weren't fun games even with their smaller budgets, but they felt like a step back from the action that RE4-6 had. That's probably what they were going for though, and now that the main series is gonna be de facto horror games maybe Revelations 3 will lean a bit more towards action to appease their other fans. I can only hope so.

highrider

Banned
I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.

I'm more in line with the action games as well. The new one looks really well done but I've never been able to get in to survival horror as much. Dead Space is about my limit, and that's still more action than survival horror.

I doubt they'll give Revelations 3 a big budget though considering 1 and 2 didn't have one. Not that they weren't fun games even with their smaller budgets, but they felt like a step back from the action that RE4-6 had. That's probably what they were going for though, and now that the main series is gonna be de facto horror games maybe Revelations 3 will lean a bit more towards action to appease their other fans. I can only hope so.

Yeah I wouldn't expect a big budget or anything, it'll likely be episodic similar to Revelations 2. But on the plus side they will likely used established characters and the more action oriented 3rd person style. It's something at least for fans looking for that sort of style

Top Bottom