• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard Ships Over Three Million Worldwide!

Mask

Is it weird that I kinda consider RE7 to be an evolution of the Survivor series and Dead Aim? It struck me as being like an evolution of those, the first Survivor in particular. Obviously a mainline game, but parts of it were reminiscent of the PS1 game to a degree, idk.

Great to see it's doing so well though, well deserved and an excellent game, if a little short.

Survival horror never left, the AAA publishers just unanimously decided it wasn't what the public wanted because reasons. So glad indies have been filling these unnecessary genre gaps by big publishers last gen.
I don't consider recent horror games 'survival horror'. They feel more like action games with horror elements (RE4-6, The Evil Within) or haunted house style games (Outlast, Amnesia). Survival horror to me is a horror game with strict inventory management that takes most of its sense of dread from making sure you have enough resources for what lies ahead. It's not about making enemies feel fun to shoot or that you should be scared of them just because they can one hit kill you.

The only other game I would consider survival horror released in the past decade is Lone Survivor.

RE8=RE7 style, REmake 2=REmake style, Revelations 3=RE5/6 style.

Everyone wins.
I hope this is what happens. I still like action RE (not like 6) so I don't want it to go away. I think they should get away from the Revelations naming convention though as it just adds unnecessary elements to the story.

Spman2099

It's not a popular opinion around these parts since some people actually do seem to dig the horror aspect. It's certainly good for them, but I have to look out for my own interests too.

Sorry guys, but if Capcom wants to make a first person horror game with jump scares and not use any established RE characters and mythos for most of the setting, they should just do a new IP or something...

It is posts like this that make me anticipate Resident Evil 8 following the path of Resident Evil 7 even more. I can't wait to see the salt.

I understand people having different preferences, but the series did start off having a focus on horror; it isn't like this is a brand new direction. If anything, it is a return to form. Being crappy about it, and saying that you want an EXCELLENT game to fail, seems extremely petty.

They will release an action focused Resident Evil again, but it will probably be a side game. As it should be.

RE8=RE7 style, REmake 2=REmake style, Revelations 3=RE5/6 style.

Everyone wins.

This is the most logical solution.

CryptiK

I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.
ewww

I don't consider recent horror games 'survival horror'. They feel more like action games with horror elements (RE4-6, The Evil Within) or haunted house style games (Outlast, Amnesia). Survival horror to me is a horror game with strict inventory management that takes most of its sense of dread from making sure you have enough resources for what lies ahead. It's not about making enemies feel fun to shoot or that you should be scared of them just because they can one hit kill you.

The only other game I would consider survival horror released in the past decade is Lone Survivor.

I 100% agree

duckroll

It is posts like this that make me anticipate Resident Evil 8 following the path of Resident Evil 7 even more. I can't wait to see the salt.

I understand people having different preferences, but the series did start off having a focus on horror; it isn't like this is a brand new direction. If anything, it is a return to form. Being crappy about it, and saying that you want an EXCELLENT game to fail, seems extremely petty.

They will release an action focused Resident Evil again, but it will probably be a side game. As it should be.

No one wants RE7 to fail. I just want Capcom to get the message that no matter how "successful" RE7 is, the audience for action RE is much higher. So that's where I feel their priority should be. It's not salt, it's just a preference backed by sales. On the other hand, saying things like "as it should be" suggests you feel your opinion is somehow more important or correct in the larger scheme of things. Lol.

No one wants RE7 to fail. I just want Capcom to get the message that no matter how "successful" RE7 is, the audience for action RE is much higher. So that's where I feel their priority should be. It's not salt, it's just a preference backed by sales. On the other hand, saying things like "as it should be" suggests you feel your opinion is somehow more important or correct in the larger scheme of things. Lol.

Eh Duckroll that may not be backed with sales.

RE7 has done 3 million shipped in less than a month. RE6 did 4.9 million in 6 months.

Depending on legs RE7 may very well match RE6 in sales or possibly even sell better

CryptiK

That may not be true at all. RE7 is tracking to prove this wrong.

Spman2099

As it should be... ;)

duckroll

RE7 has done 3 million shipped in less than a month. RE6 did 4.9 million in 6 months.

Depending on legs RE7 may very well match RE6 in sales or possibly even sell better

RE6 was a failure with bad reviews and bad word of mouth. In fact, it failing is why RE7 exists the way it does. RE5 on the other hand shipped 4 million right out of the gate. You really think there's a bigger overall audience for horror? Seriously?

Muffdraul

RE7 is sooooo much better than I thought it would be based on the demo. I kept hearing it was "a return to classic RE" and I'd play the demo and think "What in the HELL are you talking about???" But it really is. Seemed like every 10 minutes I'd find something else that reminded of the 1996-2002 REs. I came very close to not bothering with the full game, so glad I didn't make that mistake.

I hope GTA V shipping 75 million copies makes Capcom get the message that no matter how succesful their action-horror games may be, the audience for comedic open-world gangster simulators is much higher. So that's where I feel their priority should be.

duckroll

I hope GTA V shipping 75 million copies makes Capcom get the message that no matter how succesful their action-horror games may be, the audience for comedic open-world gangster simulators is much higher. So that's where I feel their priority should be.

Capcom actually agrees. They used to publish GTA in Japan during the PS3 era, and it went very well for them. They're probably kicking themselves that they can't get the license anymore because Take2 publishes it themselves now. With GTAV selling over a million copies in Japan across all platforms, if Capcom cuold get a slice of the pie, they most defintiely would.

RE6 was a failure with bad reviews and bad word of mouth. In fact, it failing is why RE7 exists the way it does. RE5 on the other hand shipped 4 million right out of the gate. You really think there's a bigger overall audience for horror? Seriously?

In terms of Lifetime units there is only a 400k unit difference between RE6 and RE5 the best selling game in the franchise. RE6 was a sales failure because they expected it to do 9 million.

And we have RE7 tracking very favorably in comparison to 6. I wouldn't count out RE7 being the 2nd best selling game in the franchise eventually unless legs crater though that's on the optimistic side. 3rd best to me seems very very likely

Note I'm talking about at times of launch window / it's current generation. RE4 for example has the benefit of multiple re-released across multiple generations

Paracelsus

Except only the original sells a lot, clones often fall short.

CryptiK

You have to remember RE7 is going against the grain with the previous game being a failure, shift to first person to the disdain of a lot of the community, and no main characters from the past games. Those are key points that can have an effect on the sales.

Jawmuncher

No action is going to affect sales too. People don't like to believe it. But there are people who played 4-6 just for that or the coop.

duckroll

You have to remember RE7 is going against the grain with the previous game being a failure, shift to first person to the disdain of a lot of the community, and no main characters from the past games. Those are key points that can have an effect on the sales.

Sounds like good logic. So the game is selling because it turned out to be a good game, negating the effects of the previous game being viewed as a failure. But that also means if it wasn't first person, and if it has main characters from the series people actually care about, it could sell even more. It's important for Capcom to pay attention to that and give people what they want, so they can see even MORE!

Bowl0l

Did Rockstar made an action horror yet? It's too early to judge that action-horror doesn't sell. Just need the right studio.

CryptiK

Sounds like good logic. So the game is selling because it turned out to be a good game, negating the effects of the previous game being viewed as a failure. But that also means if it wasn't first person, and if it has main characters from the series people actually care about, it could sell even more. It's important for Capcom to pay attention to that and give people what they want, so they can see even MORE!
Dunno about seeing anymore but it is sound logic. When the previous game in the series does terribly with the audience because Capcom made bad decisions and then announce a first person game instead of third or fixed camera a lot of people are going to think heres Capcom making another awful decision when it comes to Resident Evil.

janoDX

I love your trolling...

iavi

I hope it falls short of Capcom's expectations and misses their targets. Not enough to make Capcom consider canning the series, but enough to make them stop with this horror stuff and just make RE action games again. I want to punch boulders and shoot shoot bang bang. Don't wanna be scared. Just want a good Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire shooter again like RE5. Big budget, big monsters, lots of big guns.

High-five

I want my b-tier action blockbusters back

Is it weird that I kinda consider RE7 to be an evolution of the Survivor series and Dead Aim? It struck me as being like an evolution of those, the first Survivor in particular. Obviously a mainline game, but parts of it were reminiscent of the PS1 game to a degree, idk.

Great to see it's doing so well though, well deserved and an excellent game, if a little short.

Well over 17 hours for me, but I I'm a type of player inspects every inch of the environment for secrets.

KyleCross

I love you.

Considering RE6 was in the bargain bin within a month of launch it is very much so possible. RE7 will also likely have a much higher average selling price so it will need less sale to reach the same revenue.

iavi

I just picked it up on XBL for that play anywhere goodness too.

I'm guessing these numbers don't include digital?

Insanely happy to see. RE7 is a total gem of a game.

I don't get why people say "it should have just been a new IP, it's barely RE". Can a game series not try out something different and test the waters with a new experience every once in a while?

I mean, I can sort of understand the gripe that "yes, they can, but it should be a spin off then and not a main title". But then, why does it have to be a spin off? Why can't a main entry tread off the path?

I mean, RE6 ain't exactly the most critically acclaimed game of the century. IMO trying something new while focusing on horror was genius - just look at how much acclaim the game's getting.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Insanely happy to see. RE7 is a total gem of a game.

I don't get why people say "it should have just been a new IP, it's barely RE". Can a game series not try out something different and test the waters with a new experience every once in a while?

I mean, I can sort of understand the gripe that "yes, they can, but it should be a spin off then and not a main title". But then, why does it have to be a spin off? Why can't a main entry tread off the path?

I mean, RE6 ain't exactly the most critically acclaimed game of the century. IMO trying something new while focusing on horror was genius - just look at how much acclaim the game's getting.
RE4 should have been a spin off instead of a main title by the logic used in here.

It's not a popular opinion around these parts since some people actually do seem to dig the horror aspect. It's certainly good for them, but I have to look out for my own interests too.

Sorry guys, but if Capcom wants to make a first person horror game with jump scares and not use any established RE characters and mythos for most of the setting, they should just do a new IP or something...

Trying to figure out just how serious you are and how much is tongue in cheek...since this is precisely what people said when they changed the formula with RE4.

This is good to see.

I'm sure some will disagree, but they really needed to re-think things after RE6 (a game I found thoroughly grating to play, something you kinda can't afford considering the amount of devs and budget they were working with).

RSB

Banned
Agreed. RE7 is not a terrible game, but I definitely don't want any more RE games in its style.

Personally, I'd like the RE2 Remake (and hopefully the RE3 Remake after that too) to be in the classic style, and RE8 to continue with the action style of RE4-6.

Edit: And drop the Revelations sub-series, it is just too mediocre.

Rokal

In the, let's face it, extremely likely event that Capcom forgets what made RE7 critically and commercially successful and returns to the action formula that made 5/6 such such mid-60s metacritic hits, I will always be glad that we got at least one more game that pays homage to what made early survival horror games like RE2 great.

I think RE7 nailed what made RE 1&2 special: it leaned heavily into horror, but incorporated more shooting action than other games in the genre. RE7 was basically perfect for me up until the last 1/3 where it leaned too heavily into action for my tastes.

You weirdos can enjoy your B-horror trash once Capcom returns to the 2000-era tradition of RE. I seriously can't understand anyone who played RE5/6 and said "I want more of this". The campaigns were total disasters, the story went off the rails immediately into Michael Bay territory where everything was giant explosions, global conspiracy, and end-of-the-world scenarios. The only parts anyone actually seems to like is mercenary mode. The "RE6 is actually a great game" threads always devolve into GIFs of non-interactive "bad-ass" combat animations, as though scripted gory melee animations are the height of action-horror design.

If you're into dumb Ada/Wesker fanservice and boring Akira-bio-monster bullet sponges, I'm sure you'll have your turn again soon enough.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Seems like Capcom is happy with the sales so far if they make this big news.

Really glad they are. RE7 was amazing. Glad to see the series back on track.

duckroll

It should've been so we wouldn't have these arguments on what is and isn't RE.

Yeah it's pretty funny. Honestly I don't give a Licker's ass about whether something is called Resident Evil 7 or Resident Evil 8 or Resident Evil Code Betty. What's important is the level of investment. When people say "the action games should be spin off and the main series should be horror" what do they really mean? It's just a snarky way of saying "I don't really care that much about your opinion but I hope you get some crumbs." No one likes crumbs. If they made a game like RE5 and called it "Resident Evil Bunghole: Spinoff Confirmed". I would play it. But obviously that would mean Capcom would be unable to make some other game with the same level of investment in the same timeframe, and SOMEONE who wants something else would be complaining anyway. :p

Top Bottom