• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
meh i preferred res 6 over 7.
monster hunter XX why even ? make 5 and on consoles ffs
dead rising 2 was the last ok game.

nothing really amazing tbh
i hope this will teach them a lesson ?

BadWolf

They have already experimented with this style in the following RE game.

250px-Residentevildeadaim.jpg

I enjoyed it.

Doesn't it switch to first person only while shooting in that game?

Siren let's you play the entire game from start to finish in either perspective, which can be changed (with the click of the stick iirc) at any time. Applies both to traversal and combat.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Said it was a mistake going first-person
And damn at RE6 numbers for the Remaster, and that's the worst?
Obviously GAF is wrong...again.
I did like RE7 and it is a return to form But they need to really go back and do it 3rd Person in that style.
I think everyone expected DR4 to disappoint

And RE7 continues the RE sales tradition of reflecting on the quality of the prior game
Ummm no, the reflection of the last game they made was they sold 30% of RE7 sales on a re-release of it..
I imagine Capcom is getting mixed messages.

wwm0nkey

I just hope this doesn't hurt MonHun's chances of finally making it off of a 240p screen. I don't care if it's Switch/PS4/PC/anything just let me play it on a big screen.

Also, sucks to hear that RE7 under-performed. I really really enjoyed my time with it.
If anything this might push them to do a Switch version sooner since I'm sure even Japan is sick of 240p MH

firelogic

Since when was 3.5 considered bad?

Capcom must have expected after so much negative press of 6 that it needed to gain trust again.

Resi 8, could be huge.

3.5 million on 3 platforms for a mainline Resident Evil game that went back to its horror roots that everyone was begging for isn't anything to write home about.

faridmon

LOL. Monster Hunter's success in Japan is built around portable systems using ad-hoc multiplayer. Of course it's going to sell well on a brand new portable system that has support for ad-hoc multiplayer. Announcing MH5 as a Switch exclusive is the least surprising thing Capcom could do with it.

Depends if Japan sees Switch as a Handheld or a console.

We all know The console versions of these games don't sell all that.

Lol no surprise that DR4 under sold and I'm really not surprised it didn't even make 1 mill.

Did they look at the game? They put some guy who didn't know what he was doing in charge of a game that was already losing its way.

dracula_x

Resident Evil 7 biohazard (for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows PC), which features the ability to play the full game in the included optional PSVR Mode for PS4, gave an overall solid performance, while Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) (for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems), is off to a promising start following its March 2017 release.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e170427b.html

rCHUaRo.png

So Capcom is happy with RE7 sales numbers, "below expectations" or not.

edit: btw, they had a similar problem with RE6 – http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2012/full/explanation_2012_full_01.pdf

RHo80Fy.png

in addition:

RE6 (6 months, Oct - March) – 4.9 shipped
RE7 (> 2 months, late January – March) – 3.5 shipped

pvpness

Man, I passed on DR3 and 4 cause I didn't like the direction it was going but now I'm sad cause we probably won't get another good Dead Rising for a long, long time. Boo.

That comparison video between DR 1 and 4 was savage and turned away my group and myself. With DR4 probably being the last for a long while, this generation saw the death of my favorite new franchises from last gen. Pity. At least DR made it to this gen I guess. Lol.

I'd like to see new franchises from them.

• As action-oriented as most of their games are, I'm surprised they haven't tested the first-person shooter market (outside of the RE spinoffs).
  • A new 'lighthearted" franchise like Mega Man, Zack & Wiki, or Ace Attorney is sorely needed for diversity as most of their present line-up leans further toward the hardcore market.
  • Now that they're close again with Disney, they should consider rebuilding their action-platformer portfolio based on characters from the IP, perhaps even collaborate with Nintendo on some of them to create a cross-over series.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
They expected XX to be a big seller?

It's a glorified expansion to X, and even X was stuffed full of reused content.

Shame about RE7 though, despite the hate 6 gets it sold really damn high.

Maybe people really prefer RE as an action series.

Outside of Nintendo, Capcom has the best stable of IPs. They don't really need new ones, they need to bring back old ones and do them justice. People have been asking for a new Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, you name it for a very long time. Build a team and give them a proper budget and time and they can do some things.

Everyone needs new IP in entertainment eventually. Even Activision has slowly made the transition away from the likes of TH, Guitar Hero, and now CoD, and is putting more focus on Destiny/Overwatch nowadays.

That being said, Capcom could probably have some success bringing back Dino Crisis and Onimusha with modern gameplay and graphics. Dino Crisis done RE4/5/6 style, or Onimusha done Souls/NIOH style would garner instant attention.

RE7 is looking more and more like a well-intentioned mistake. I still can't believe it was a mainline title. As much as I would like to say "I told you so" about missing the sales projection, I'm far more interested in how Capcom reacts to this somewhat tepid reception. Will they continue stubbornly with first person in RE2 remake? Or will they see the light if/when it outsells RE4 as a third-person game?

Sesha

Capcom ain't gonna abandon first person or horror. They're in this for the long run. Unless RE8 performs even worse than RE9 will probably follow the same route. Worst case scenario is they inject more action into it while retaining first person. Basically more of RE7's third act.

Keep experimental titles far away from the mainline sequels.

Whenever they can scrounge up 600 devs, RE8 on Panty Ray will be amazing.

An RE6 will never happen again, and Panty Raid is dead.

About half of REVII was just walking up hallways blasting enemies.

That's an exaggeration. It was an hour or two max.

I doubt they can be too upset. 3.5 mil of an 8 hour long, single player only game sold largely at full price only so far is no easy feat in 2017, so hats off.

Hopefully they'll get another .5-1 mil in sales when DLC finishes and sale seasons begin.

And people still want to believe that RE6 is a complete garbage that no sane human would like or enjoy.
I bought Resident Evil 6 remastered last year because I thought it wasn't as bad as many proclaimed it to be; It was one of the worst games I've ever played. Uninspiring level design, ugly, and I had no motivation to move forward. Coop couldn't even make it somewhat enjoyable. Horrible game.

HeelPower

RE7 didn't sell as much as it could because it didn't have a protagonist and first person drove many away.

The direction is fantastic ,but it needs a central hero with an attractive design ,and needs to go back to 3rd person.Just to be more marketable and appealing.

The game is infinitely better than Re6 though.

Toxi

Banned
I bought Resident Evil 6 remastered last year because I thought it wasn't as bad as many proclaimed it to be; It was one of the worst games I've ever played. Uninspiring level design, ugly, and I had no motivation to move forward. Coop couldn't even make it somewhat enjoyable. Horrible game.
But it lets you slide and suplex zombies, so it automatically has the best combat ever and if you don't like it then you just suck./s

SkylineRKR

I kinda hoped the story would continue from Rev 2. I thought Rev 2 had a good story for RE standards and liked the sort of open ending. I really enjoyed Rev 2.

The likes of Barry also just have more swag than this faceless guy.

I'd love for RE to back to third person. It doesn't have to be a bloated game like RE6 but something like Rev 2 on a higher budget is fine with me.

I mean RE7 was designed around niche-game design philosophies, it was basically an indie-style horror game but higher quality with a high level of budget and polish.

Not sure what they were expecting to be honest. Especially after the trash fire that was RE6 that turned a bunch of people off the series and forced their hand into a soft reboot for 7.

All of these games had some dumb exclusivity too, which probably isn't why they failed to sell but...

RE7 VR mode timed PSVR exclusive
MHXX Japan and old as fuck 3DS exclusive
DR4 Windows 10 timed exclusive on PC

Please stop Capcom. Release your games and content to everyone instead of pissing people off with every release.

Mediking

RE7 didn't sell as much as it could because it didn't have a protagonist and first person drove many away.

The direction is fantastic ,but it needs a central hero with an attractive design ,and needs to go back to 3rd person.Just to be more marketable and appealing.

The game is infinitely better than Re6 though.

You summed it up.

Faceless Ethan Winters (I think thats his last name? didnt do the job. He was close but not good enough.

All of these games had some dumb exclusivity too, which probably isn't why they failed to sell but...

RE7 VR mode timed PSVR exclusive
MHXX Japan and old as fuck 3DS exclusive
DR4 Windows 10 timed exclusive on PC

Please stop Capcom. Release your games and content to everyone instead of pissing people off with every release.

Yep, lol

TreIII

People want Monster Hunter on Switch already

Yeeeeeep.

I think that at this point, MH5 needs to be as much of a refresh as Tri and the third gen attempted to be (at first). X/XX was great to serve as a last go round, but they really need to ditch some of those old monsters and introduce a lot of new ones (or "new(er) world" versions, in the case of the Raths).

Make it so that it's a thrill to fight an all new cast of beasties we've never seen before!

vpance

I mean RE7 was designed around niche-game design philosophies, it was basically an indie-style horror game but higher quality with a high level of budget and polish.

Not sure what they were expecting to be honest. Especially after the trash fire that was RE6 that turned a bunch of people off the series and forced their hand into a soft reboot for 7.

Did it really turn people off the series? Doubt it, since it still sold a lot.

More likely Capcom just financially shit the bed and couldn't afford to make a big budget sequel. Hence the indie style game thrust into being a mainline sequel. If they made it an offshoot game it would've probably sold half as much.

MoonFrog

Damn.

Resident Evil VII was awesome and such a right step for the franchise. Really brought me back in and I was quite satisfied. I was hoping for a positive story for Capcom...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
2 million from Dead Rising 4 while launching exclusively on Xbox One and PC Windows Store? They are nuts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gee its almost like Dead Rising 4 was one of the most tone deaf sequels ever made.

almost like they thought shitty nostalgia alone would get them somewhere. almost like you shouldnt try to gentrify every single video game. whoda thunk it

AdaWong

Re7 recouped with development cost back in february:

https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-says-resident-evil-7-recouped-its-development-costs-418961.phtml

While Re6 after selling 5 million copies didn't meets sales expectations:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/8/3967632/resident-evil-6-failed-capcom-sales-expectations-development-challenges

what you think cost more?

This makes no sense? RE7 didn't meet sales expectation either lol.

RE6 haters really like to reach to make it seem like less of a commercial success than it actually was.

Sidenote: The RE6 remaster is the highest selling remaster of the REs.

KingBroly

Banned
So it has nothing to do with game turn 180 to become horror and change perspective to FPS?

I mean...they released a demo for it...in piece meal form...on one system...until they released the full demo to everyone. I don't think it was good marketing, honestly.

Top Bottom