• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

dbl219

Neo Member
The guy they based his likeness on isn't that far off from the look of RE5, 6, Revelaitons, and Vendetta Chris. I mean the real live-action guy has more of an air about him than the way his in-game model turned out

http://www.acquamodels.com/model/992

Is that the model strictly for RE7? Or did they use him for the previous games, too? If it's the same model from previous entries, it puts a big hole in my HUNK theory. Because in some of the full body shots in that gallery, you can see he's clearly the "Redfield" from RE7. But in other photos he also manages to look like Chris from older games. I'm confused!

Random thoughts:

- The part leading up to when you get the arm for the serum, and the moments just after that bit was hands down the scariest part of the game.

- I loved the 'Happy Birthday' tape and how you could skip half of it with Ethan since you knew the password was 'LOSER'. Very clever! It was total Zero Escape puzzle room vibes!

- I loved the Code Veronica sound effects when using the pin pad that Lucas had set up for you!

- WTF at that huge enemy right before choosing who to give the serum to being Jack again. I thought it was Lucas. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known! o_O

- The ship section was basically Revelations from a FPS perspective with a bigger budget and more polish. The lack of different enemies here started to be a pretty big problem, just like it was in Revelations.

- The giant doll randomly appearing in the Guest House kitchen on the chair towards the very end of the game nearly gave me a heart attack!

- The Eveline boss fight was a ripoff of the Carla boss fight from RE6. It was cool since the Carla fight was one of the most memorable things in RE6, but yeah, they were very similar.

mf.luder

I was about to head into the testing area but I decided to back track for collectibles and holy fuck! Old lady eve line was waiting for me in the hatch under the kitchen. Soooooofreaky!

Anung

Un Rama
I was about to head into the testing area but I decided to back track for collectibles and holy fuck! Old lady eve line was waiting for me in the hatch under the kitchen. Soooooofreaky!

Is that where you go at the start of the game to escape Jack?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Couple days after finishing the game, and I still cannot stop thinking about it. Such a phenomenal experience. I think that the thing that I love about this game, more than perhaps any other stories in the series, is how tragic it is at it's core. This is the story of a child who was warped at birth, by soulless people, and ended up corrupting an entire family because that's all she can do. The Bakers are some of my favorite villains in anything, ever. I really hate evil characters who are just evil because. I much prefer humanized evil. Those who do wrong because they are so broken, they believe it's right, or like the Bakers, those who are warped by forces outside of their control.

I feel for the Bakers. The scene where the actual Jack speaks with you, is one of the most haunting moments I've ever seen in a game. The immortal monster, who mutilates and kill...is a broken man fully aware of how destroyed his mind and body are. It's powerful beyond words. The writing here was leagues above the rest of the series. This is the kind of shit that Resident Evil needed for a long time now. Iconic characters with actual depth beyond a few catchphrases.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So, umm, when exactly did that little talk with 'normal' Jack and Ethan take place? I'm kinda confused.

While Ethan was stuck in the mold. Those infected by Eveline, are kind of linked together in her "hive mind". It's so creepy and incredible. Really hit me square in the feels.

Just finished the game.

Really enjoyed it but had some problems with the last part of the game. Namely combat.

They throw a lot of it at you but it isn't all that satisfying. It feels too imprecise at times and I'm sure that was intentional but it got a bit draining after a while. Especially when you add in the fact that the Moulded are bullet spongy. The assault rifle didn't have the mmmph that I was expecting.

I get the game was trying to give you a bit of a power trip with all the supplies but yeah, the core combat is more enjoyable when it's infrequent and more intimate. Fighting a group of enemies wasn't hard but it was a bit of a chore.

I really enjoyed where the story went though and I really enjoyed it overall. But I get the complaints that the final third of the game isn't as strong as the rest. The ship section in general wasn't too enthralling. Might pick Zoe in the future just to skip ahead.

Risible

Wait - that wasn't Lucas in the shack all mutated up? Then who was it?? Was it Jack returning or something? How do we know this? What did I miss?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wait - that wasn't Lucas in the shack all mutated up? Then who was it?? Was it Jack returning or something? How do we know this? What did I miss?

It is Jack. I mean it looks like Jack except upside down and eyebally as fuck (One of my favorite BOW designs in the entire series). He talks about his daughters, and how Ethan killed his wife. And Ethan is all like "That shit is getting old, Jack".

Scotia

Banned
I'm surprised so many people thought the big monster was Lucas and not Jack. I mean, Jack literally says "You killed my wife." and moans about Marguerite for most of the battle.

Risible

It is Jack. I mean it looks like Jack except upside down and eyebally as fuck (One of my favorite BOW designs in the entire series). He talks about his daughters, and how Ethan killed his wife. And Ethan is all like "That shit is getting old, Jack".

Well shit must have been super focused on killing him and didn't even notice that. Huh.

Couple days after finishing the game, and I still cannot stop thinking about it. Such a phenomenal experience. I think that the thing that I love about this game, more than perhaps any other stories in the series, is how tragic it is at it's core. This is the story of a child who was warped at birth, by soulless people, and ended up corrupting an entire family because that's all she can do. The Bakers are some of my favorite villains in anything, ever. I really hate evil characters who are just evil because. I much prefer humanized evil. Those who do wrong because they are so broken, they believe it's right, or like the Bakers, those who are warped by forces outside of their control.

I feel for the Bakers. The scene where the actual Jack speaks with you, is one of the most haunting moments I've ever seen in a game. The immortal monster, who mutilates and kill...is a broken man fully aware of how destroyed his mind and body are. It's powerful beyond words. The writing here was leagues above the rest of the series. This is the kind of shit that Resident Evil needed for a long time now. Iconic characters with actual depth beyond a few catchphrases.

i agree that scene with Jack broke my heart. He went from being this crazy lunatic hillbilly to someone you felt a connection with. Really nice touch adding that in.

While Ethan was stuck in the mold. Those infected by Eveline, are kind of linked together in her "hive mind". It's so creepy and incredible. Really hit me square in the feels.

In his mind while he was under the influence of Eveline. Even with them dead, her powers work in such a way.

It's a dumb scene, was so unneeded.

I see.

I love the idea behind the conversation, but yeah, the fact that it was a 'vision' right at that moment seems a bit sloppy. It would have been better if it was an actual memory that happened prior.

Jawmuncher

I felt the humanizing of jack wasn't needed. It didn't add anything. We know they were all regular people prior to this. We didn't need to see it. All it did was take away from the moments you had prior with him. Plus the mecanhic of someone being dead and still getting a cutscenes is asinine. But then again I'm sure those who didn't mind it also didn't mind stuff like the epilogue in mgs4.

I felt it would have been better handled to either, much like Mia having some more scenes of said bakers trying to fight back, or more files indicating as such.
Stuff like this I feel is always better done in a less is more kind of way, rather than force feeding the player.

JayEH

I hope we get to kill Lucas as Hunkfield in the dlc. I'd like to heal him, starve him, then burn him alive before he dies of starvation.

Anung

Un Rama
I felt the humanizing of jack wasn't needed. It didn't add anything. We know they were all regular people prior to this. We didn't need to see it. All it did was take away from the moments you had prior with him. Plus the mecanhic of someone being dead and still getting a cutscenes is asinine. But then again I'm sure those who didn't mind it also didn't mind stuff like the epilogue in mgs4.

Yeah, I didn't care for that either. It was too on the nose and detracted from the character. The only thing I did like about that scene was that Jack still believed Lucas to be a good boy who wasn't being evil willingly even though he totally was.

I know they were trying to make Zoe Baker some Ada like mysterious figure but she needed fleshed out a shit load. Made the "choice" pretty laughable.

Kalentan

It says Chris Redfield in the credits.

To be fair... I doubt they would spoil their own twist because of the credits.

I fucking love the "That shit is getting old, Jack", line. Ethan is a fucking badass. Leads credence to the theory that dbl219 posted about.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, I didn't care for that either. It was too on the nose and detracted from the character. The only thing I did like about that scene was that Jack still believed Lucas to be a good boy who wasn't being evil willingly even though he totally was.

I know they were trying to make Zoe Baker some Ada like mysterious figure but she needed fleshed out a shit load. Made the "choice" pretty laughable.

Yep. In my long post, I detailed how that was one of the bigger issues I had with the story. None of the characters are ever fleshed out enough to be interesting outside the bakers. Well aside from Zoe baker.

i agree that scene with Jack broke my heart. He went from being this crazy lunatic hillbilly to someone you felt a connection with. Really nice touch adding that in.

I know some people are critiquing the shit out of stuff like that in a Resident Evil game. I liked it. They let you see that and the visions with Mia when she was attacking you to prove the point that these people were all just being used.

People question why the kept Mia and the others all human like but again, Evelyn wanted a family. I think she allowed it basically and the Bakers took care of her so she took care of them so to speak.

The rules on what kills someone or not is a bit confusing though. Jack keeps coming back but Marg and Mia if you pick Zoe all just die from being killes. Not really sure I understand how that works but it's probably just a videogame thing.

It took me like 3 seconds to pick Mia LOL.

And I got much more Ada vibes from Mia, especially when you play as her in the tape on the ship.

DVCY201

Just wanna throw out there that Chris usually introduces himself by his first name. I cannot think of a single moment he refers to himself by his last name, and that felt like a big giveaway here

It was grandma the whole time!

That was a pretty neat twist. Reading the file about Eveline aging and I was like "whoa".

If you listen closely in the early game, when she's appearing throughout the house, she's humming "Go Tell Aunt Rhody". What's Lilttle Evie humming when you're chasing her through the guest house during the finale?

JayEH

Yep. In my long post, I detailed how that was one of the bigger issues I had with the story. None of the characters are ever fleshed out enough to be interesting outside the bakers. Well aside from Zoe baker.

It's for the best that Mia and Ethan's backstories are delved into. They (mostly Ethan) are blank slates for the most part that you can fill in details for yourself and discuss theories like in this thread. This is how the series was before it got more cinematic in later games. I don't like the hallucination scene either since it breaks the classic RE storytelling method of using notes, environment, etc. It's like they think players might have missed the notes and such showing that the bakers outside Lucas were ok people.

Jawmuncher

Just wanna throw out there that Chris usually introduces himself by his first name. I cannot think of a single moment he refers to himself by his last name, and that felt like a big giveaway here

It's chris. People don't want to accept it, but it is. The DLC is probably gonna do a good bit of explaining why. People giving capcom too much credit on these theories their making.

Reminds me of the indoctrination stuff people believed for mass Effect 3

It's for the best that Mia and Ethan's backstories are delved into. They (mostly Ethan) are blank slates for the most part that you can fill in details for yourself and discuss theories like in this thread. This is how the series was before it got more cinematic in later games. I don't like the hallucination scene either since it breaks the classic RE storytelling method of using notes, environment, etc. It's like they think players might have missed the notes and such showing that the bakers outside Lucas were ok people.

The problem I have with Zoe and Ethan being so blank is the reasoning. Ethan on a whim after 3 years is going for Mia. Then with 15 minutes of playing is attacking you. Why should I feel bad about attacking her, or caring what happens to her later on throughout the story? That's the issue I have. They try to force these emotions of "you should care", but with nothing to back them.

Anung

Un Rama
I'll be disappointed if it's Chris purely because I love Roger Craig Smith in the role. He is Chris Redfield to me.

Danone

Neo Member
My take on the Jack scene is that, altought you stopped his body for regenerating, his mind is still part of Eveline's hivemind, and that's where that scene takes place. I also think it has the purpose of changing Ethan's perspective on the situation, at first he only wanted to survive and rescue Mia, now he is determined to kill Eveline so he can "free" Jack's family for good.

I thought the biggest giveaway was his weird voice. It didn't sound like Chris at all. When he spoke I was like WTF?!

bidguy

Banned
It's chris. People don't want to accept it, but it is. The DLC is probably gonna do a good bit of explaining why. People giving capcom too much credit on these theories their making.

Reminds me of the indoctrination stuff people believed for mass Effect 3

what about ethan being an umbrella scientist ? you think thats true ?

i thought it was a little odd that ethan says "took you long enough". i also criticized ethan because hes way too calm in the face of all the horrible shit thats happening so i guess that would explain it ?

Jawmuncher

what about ethan being an umbrella scientist ? you think thats true ?

i thought it was a little odd that ethan says "took you long enough". i also criticized ethan because hes way too calm in the face of all the horrible shit thats happening so i guess that would explain it ?

Ethan though, I think anything can fly there. I actually do like the idea that maybe he has some hand in these sort of things.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
When they announce Chris for Marvel with a different voice actor we'll get our confirmation.

Fuck that, I want Jack
Z9XyiSB.jpg

Top Bottom